7.8

• haylesvk
  • Canada, Couple, 31-40
23rd Aug 2017
4.9

Location-great. Check in/check out process-easy..the only positive things I have to say. The bed was super uncomfortable, the cleanliness was questionable. The hallways and bathroom smelled like a hamster cage. The kitchen was a mess. The two staff we talked to were nice, but not very knowledgeable about local restaurants, sights, directions, etc. We cancelled our last night-couldn't believe what they charged (private room). To end on a positive - they gave us a free parking pass, that was good.

22nd Aug 2017
7.7

Good spot. Great location to walk downtown, Quidi Vidi, Signal Hill etc.

• England, Female, 31-40
22nd Aug 2017
3.4

This hostel is awful. It's old, fine, but it's dirty, cramped (they added a mattress on the floor of a small 4-bed dorm to make it 5 bed without mentioning it to guests) and worst, it's uncared for. Put oil on the door hinges so they don't scream. Sell locks - people will always need them. The hairdryer "disappeared", shrug. So buy a new one?! The receptionist was unfriendly and the atmosphere dead. It's tiny. Worst I've stayed in and I've hostelling across the world.

• Canada, Female, 18-24
20th Aug 2017
5.4

I really did enjoy my stay there. However I paid for a four bedroom hostel and there were 5 girls staying in it. The room, bathroom & kitchen were always dirty. I feel like I paid for more than what I got.

• Canada, Female, 25-30
13th Aug 2017
5.1

We arrived late, approx 1AM, and had told them this would be the case ahead of time. The door was locked and no staff were there. Thankfully a fellow (grumpy) visitor was awake and near the door to hear us, and let us in. The room and hallways smelled very mildewey. There was no breakfast, not even toast and butter.

• Scotland, Female, 41+
8th Aug 2017

It was lovely to be able to stay in an historical property in downtown St Johns. Perfect location for just about everything. My whole experience with staying in Newfoundland has been enhanced by the genuine nature of the people. Friendly, down-toe-earth, nothing is too much trouble. Very likeable place to travel in. Feels safe and secure for single travellers. Would recommend anyone to visit Newfoundland - and stay at either HI hostel in St Johns or Trinity East.

20th Jul 2017
5.7

Mixed feelings about this hostel, good location(just outside of where all the action occurs but very walkable) and good amenities however the staff was what I struggled with. Always hard to find, if you did find them, it was as if you were wasting their time. The guy that checked me in (a french dude I think) was probably the most arrogant of the bunch. Sad to say, this hostel has the potential to be amazing but with the attitudes the staff have there, I won't be recommending it.

11th Jul 2017

Good hostel. Problem with the wifi though. During my 6 nights there it I was just a handful of times that I managed to connect to it. Other guests had the same problem and I mainly used open wifi from restaurants in St. John's. Except for the wifi it is a good hostel and I recommend it.

• ohsolma1307
  • USA, Female, 41+
11th Jul 2017

Great little hostel! Windows open, no screens, no bugs!!! And beautiful view! Woke to seagul and tugboat sounds! I would volunteer and stay if I was free!

• Canada, Female, 25-30
28th Jun 2017

I stayed in a dorm room with one bunk bed (double on bottom, single on top), and it was the squeakiest bed ever! Luckily no one was there with me so the slight shifting I made during the night didn't keep anyone up, but it seems all it needs is some tightening of the screws and the problem would be solved. Other than that great location, adequate facilities, great price. I will definitely come back on my next trip to St. John's!

×