City House Hostels: Old City Philly

Fabulous 1710 Total Reviews
Fabulous 1710 Total Reviews

17th Apr 2017
6.6

This hostel needs some love - the ceiling is showing wear/had holes in it above my bed & the bathrooms are very small/in need of an update. Our room was cramped with 2 bunk beds and did not have a window which could be opened, making it very hot and stuff during the night. We were told to keep the door open during the night but as the light was on in the hallway, this was not the best solution. The mattresses were also uncomfortable and some (not all!) of the staff seemed disinterested at best.

• England, Male, 25-30
11th Apr 2017

We had a great stay in this very clean hostel. Perfect location in the old part of the city. Excellent facilities and a special shout out to David on the front desk. He was very kind but also professional. Would recommend to both solo travellers or groups.

• dekimmen8843
  • Belgium, Male, 25-30
9th Apr 2017

Very positive, very friendly staff who immediately asked if i wanted to socialize in the group downstairs as i was a solo traveler. Good hostel for single travelers as the athmosphere and room downstairs encourage people to meet each other. Very good location.

5th Apr 2017

Everything is just peachy. And I'm a big fan of the No Shoes policy!

2nd Apr 2017
8.0

Awesome facilities in a good location. Staff were pretty laid back and helpful. No lockers in the rooms, though, and our room didn't lock. I'd likely stay there again, though, as the common room was pretty solid (Netflix, video games, kitchen)

• a_fish_called_god
  • USA, Female, 25-30
28th Mar 2017
4.9

I've stayed at a lot of hostels and this one would be very low on my list. It's in a historical building with great potential but the interior is so bland it's a real missed opportunity. Every surface needs a wash and a new coat of paint and not in a cool bohemian way. Staff was weird, one guy kept asking how many in our group were single and opened our completely lockless room door on us without knocking while we were all half dressed. Obnoxiously loud Escape Room on the floor above.

• USA, Female, 25-30
24th Mar 2017

This hostel was wonderful! The location was fantastic. The staff was very friendly. They have a large room downstairs for socializing, stocked with a tv, some games, musical instruments, etc. which looked very fun. I was surprised that there was no shampoo or soap for the showers. All the other hostels I've stayed in usually have these items in the shower. It was also hard to find the front door to enter the hostel. It would be nice to know before arriving that you have to ring the doorbell.

19th Mar 2017

Jason said he worked at hostel for 1 month,he lied saying check-out is 10,later said it's 11.His racial hateful aggression is obvious.I made clear I knew he was lying to begin with,he said leave,I'll open the door, I told him I want to leave & can open door myself.I went back to get forgotten charger he got in my face said he will call police I said get out my face call them,he was tough inside but didn't want to come outside. Wes & Nixon the manager, addressed everything immediately.

18th Mar 2017

Staffs are good. The reception is nice. David and another girl is great. We had inside game playing and free beer every night we stayed.

17th Mar 2017
8.0

This hostel is very clean and things felt pretty safe. The staff was extremely friendly. One staff member named Bird gave me a bag to carry my boxed wine in and another staff member let me use her tooth paste. Its a little expensive but I would stay here again.