City Public Hostel Reviews

Absalonsgade 8, Copenhagen, Denmark

value for money

• 27th Jun 2014
  • India

The location is good, which is just 10 minute of walk from the central station. The hostel doesn't accept credit card, which is a bit surprising as a hostel in a capital city. You can pay Euros, only papers are accepted... so have your Danish krone ready. The room and the bed are old. If you sleep on the lower-level bed, you can't sit with your back straight. With the bed there is no power or shelf, and you have to pay extra for sheet. The toilet and shower are a bit shabby and not clean.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

I chose this hostel because it was the cheapest option and, reading the reviews, expected it to be dull, noisy, and unfriendly, and found quite the opposite! The 66 bed dorm didn't bother me. It's worth noting that, if you choose a top bunk, you get woken up by the light early in the morning, and if you choose a bottom bunk, you are squeezing into a very tight space where even as a 5'2" woman, I would bang my head.

Fantastic hostel! The atmosphere is very friendly and you meet lots of people all the time - best hostel I've been to in that regard. Also has a fantastic and new kitchen. Highly recommend this hostel.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Israel

Everything except 66 bed dorm was just fine.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Serbia

I stayed in the 66 person room, which is sectioned off into groups of 4. It was fine for me, but might not be ideal if you're a light sleeper, since there could be people coming and going at a variety of hours. They provide linens, towels and locks for a cost, so the price isn't quite as cheap as it might seem on first glance, but still cheaper than the other Copenhagen hostels.

the hostel has big common room and kitchen which is really good!!!!! it is already the cheapest hostel we can find during our stay. we stayed in a 22 bed room. the room is just okay. the bathroom is not so good. the location is quite okay. If you want to save money then it is not a so bad choice. You can cook by yourself!!! and the atmosphere is quite good in this hostel. The security is not so good. It's easy to come and go. So just remember to bring your own lock!!!!! consider money is okay.

How this place has good ratings is beyond me. I left after my second night. They charge for every little thing. I went to a different hostel and it was fantastic. I posted about it on TA. Anyways, do yourself a favor and don't stay at this shanty.

• 20th Jun 2014

I enjoyed staying at the hostel, I especially appreciated the spacy kitchen and the yard in the back where I had breakfast. I also found it clean and quiet.I think there are not many showers considering the number of people staying there, but personally I never had to wait too long (and if I had to it was for American girls that typically take way too long to shower - sorry, it's true). I would recommend to furnish the rooms with curtains, because the light wakes you up pretty early!!

Old style hostel with big multi-bed dorms so limited privacy, but nice enough as there is outdoor space to relax in. Should bring a padlock for the lockers and note also bed sheets, pillow and blanket are extras not included in the price

Didn't sleep at all, someone was snoring right behind the thin wall in the dorm of 66 persons, and the beds were so squeaky that you heard every movement people made nearby. Don't recommend.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Finland

Good hostel, I liked the fact that they are not-for-profit, with all profits going to run the youth club attached to the building.

Kitchen was awesome, and the reception was very helpful in finding ways around the city. However, the bed was not equipped with a stair, giving those shorter a hard time climbing. And the shower room was not eqipped with hooks, making it a little bit inconvenience.

66 bed dorm was great considering I was apprehensive about the number of people in one room. Staff were good and a pleasant stay. My bed was on the side,right under the air conditioning, so I was freezing but when I mentioned to reception they gave me a blanket free of charge so I was happy!

It's the cheapest hostel in Copenhagen and that's pretty much the only positive thing about it. I've slept in 25 people dorms before but the lack of fresh air was very disturbing and disgusting. When you came in the dorm at night the air tasted like people's breaths. Beds were too small (i'm just 1,82 m) and the most uncomfortable i've slept on in my 2 years travelling. I didn't dare take a shower, the facilities were so ridiculously old and dirty. Not worth that money (but it's Denmark...

We were 3 people who stayed for 1 night in a 12-man room. The overall standard of the hostel is good, with friendly and helpful staff and a very good location. There were however some minor issues. The beds were extremely noisy, which was not too convenient when people went in and out of bed at different times, and the toilet and showers could have been better cleaned. Still, given the price this is an overall nice hostel. Good for a one night stay.

Location is easy to find and close to the central station is an interesting hostel, they have the 60 beds dorm room, this hostel is as good as it gets, great Wifi which is important, you do have to pay extra for your sheets, some dooms are really built in small cubicles so sometimes it gets crowed but overall is a cool and unique hostel with large lounges and plenty of kitchen space outdoor areas for people to hang out.

I don't really want to talk about it...

This is a very basic hostel that looks like just a place for a overnight. It isn't that secure once anyone can get in, even in the rooms. Its location and value for money are its greatest advantages only.

It's in the very heart of Copenhagen, and that means you can reach by walking almost every interesting place in the city... The quality of beds and of rooms in general is not bad, worth the money I'd say. What really annoyed me was the extremely bad wi-fi connection and the fact that after midnight was kind of an anarchy... People screaming, smoking and drinking... More surveillance needed!

• 10th Jun 2014