Ciudad Vieja Hostel Reviews

Ituzaingo 1436, Montevideo, Uruguay

Very good hostel. Nice staff. Good accommodations and location.

Buy new bedding. The bedding that is there is a serious risk to health - pillows that are drenched in stale spit, sweat and urine will certainly be passing harmful bacteria to people who use them. Clean the whole place from top to bottom. I mean CLEAN IT WITH BLEACH AND BRUSHES AND DISINFECTANT. And it would probably be a good idea to run around with some pesticide.

I had a wonderful time at El Viajero. We had fun on the roof terrace, talking, playing games, a band from Brasil played a concert. The kitchen is very clean, the internet computer works well, the hangout area is cosy. The staff is super helpful and friendly.

• 3rd Jan 2014

I didn't like this hostel, from the moment I walked in... it is tiny poky place, the ceiling fan in my bedroom didn't work - in fact wasn't even wired in, so only 2 beds got the benefit of another small fan, in a dorm of 12... in very hot and humid conditions. The port area is dangerous at night, I was scared about going out alone. Having booked in for 3 nights I checked out after 1. I don't know why it gets such good reviews.

Montevideo is very hot in the summer, and ventilation of rooms and other areas of the hostel is really bad. They need, at least, install fans in a minimum quantity in the rooms.

• 26th Dec 2013

Some details could make a good difference : breakfast could include some fruit, bike rent is expensive, other hosts's noise could be controlled.

• 24th Dec 2013

I had there the most wonderful Christmas of my life. Muy buena onda!

I stayed in their hostel in Colombia years ago which I thought was great. This matched that hostels quality of staff and overall vibe and facilities. Different city but same experience. Best roommates ever as well.

Very small 6-bed dorm, very hot despite fans, and access through another dorm. Lack of storage space. Staff were friendly and helpful though. Communal areas are nice, with a balcony and roof terrace too. Able to hire bikes for the day, which was great to get to the beach. Kitchen and wifi were fine and the shared bathrooms were fine too. Location is good for old town, but it's very quiet with not much to see, and most activity is in the new town / at the beach.

bad cleanliness

• 3rd Dec 2013

It was my second time at El Viajero. People are friendly and helpfull. The place is quiet, so if you are looking to find a hostel with cracy revelers this is not it. Nightlife in Montevideo is not big, old town has a few bars and restaurants. I was told Carranza area has a better selection of places to go out. Going back to the hostel. It is nice, friendly travelers, you can buy beer, soft drinks, and snacks. Breakfast is not really good, but you can't complain for that price!

The location really pulls this hostel out of completely average to above average. It is located a half block from a beautiful square with some restaurants and bars and a pedestrian walkway which is replete with street vendors, lots of fun to walk around and look at the wares being hawked. The hostel is also very close to Mercado del Puerto which has the best meat I've ever had.

staff were helpful and friendly on arrival. rooms not bad beds ok. good location in the centre of the old city and easy to find and get to from tres cruses. great value for money and a good common room upstairs and balcony and roof top area. would stay here again for sure.

Our double-room was small, but alright. Breakfast was ok. The staff was really nice and helpful. Good location in Ciudad Vieja.