Claremont Guesthouse Reviews

189 Toorak Road, South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

great great place to stay!! beautiful deco and lovely staff!!

Very comfortable stay in great location for the flying visitor as I was, thanks very much. Good atmosphere, clean rooms, only reluctance to giving full rating is value for money of double room. Think I was overcharged based on my deposit and owing to booking changes...however that's also my fault for not double checking.

Good stay for a private room. Small, but clean and secure.

Great location just two minutes walking from the train station, very clean facilities, excellent breakfast, lovely staff. More a quiet place than a hostel atmosphere.

Really nice staff, very helpfull. Loved my stay there!!!

This is a great hostel if you're looking for a low-key and quite place to stay in Melbourne. It's very close to the tram and train station. There are several restaurants and shops within walking distance. The rooms were small but very clean. Also, there was no ac in the room but they did provide a large fan.

We booked a double room, yes there was a double bed, I questioned the size of the room, the bed was tight against the wall otherwise it would not have fitted. No electric socket in the room, very sparse fittings. The bathrooms were well proportioned so also the kitchen. The continental breakfast was a bonus. We did not stay and moved on to other accommodation. at equal price.

The hostel itself was impeccable: it was kept clean and orderly and was like staying in a hotel. You were provided with breakfast too, and in a good location. This hostel however is not suited to backpackers: if you're looking for rest and a quiet stay, it is ideal but there is nowhere to meet new people and it has a 'frowned upon' feel for party goers. If you want a fun place to interact with other travellers, I wouldn't recommend this hostel.

It is a good hostel with clean room and bathrooms. The breakfast is included and quite varied. It is quiet and a good spot as it's very close to a metro station, plus you can have a nice walk around (shop, park, river). The only thing I actually can complain about is about the reservation. I booked a private room with a 2-person-bed and we ended up with a room with 4 single bunk beds. Fortunately, the hostel let us have it for ourselves but it was a bit inconvenient (problem of translation?).

This place is great. Clean, safe, classy. My only complaint is that there is not much available to cook in the kitchen. Just a microwave and sandwich-press thing. Super close to the train and tram and wifi works great!

This is a nice quiet hostel, the rooms and facilities were clean, the night shift guy who checked me in was very friendly and the location amazing. The downside was I arrived 24 hours after Melbourne's massive heatwave yet the rooms were still stinking hot. A combination of the old building, fire doors preventing a breeze through the room area and no air con. There were also no lockers in the dorm room, which required quite a bit of trust in my fellow dormies.

Claremont is a very nice hostel. There was free breakfast and free wifi. And the wifi was really good! It is a quite hostel, and not a place to party. But we just arrived in australia so it was really relaxing to start in a quite and peacefull hostel like claremont. Now, almost 3 weeks later and a lot of hostels further, we can say that it was one of the best hostels so far!! The staff was also very kind. We loved it!

• 2nd Jan 2014

Great breakfast considering the price of accommodation. Male staff at reception was super friendly, female staff during the day exactly the opposite, would not be of any help finding a doctor in an urgent situation. The common areas lack a bit of character, not a great place to meet other travellers. There was hardly any cutlery or plates to use, and most of the cupboards as well as all fridges were locked.

Very pleasantly surprised as I wasn't sure what to expect. I hadn't stayed in a hostel for many years and thought I might look a bit out of place being older, but this certainly felt more like a Guest House and I felt extremely comfortable. In addition we were only 3 train stops away from central Melbourne and in a nice area.

• 23rd Dec 2013

single bed means actually an ugly bunk bed! even if alone, but not nice!

• 20th Dec 2013

WIFI is poor ( it is real BAD especially during peak hours). Otherwise a great place to stay

Clean place with an awesome breakfast. The atmosphere was more like in a hotel than a hostel and there are all kinds of guests. The staff was partly very annoyed and partly very nice. Still, it is not really a place for young people and certainly not a party place. Also hard to get tips on the issue. Moreover our room was really really small and we had problems to store our backpacks.

Everything was perfect.

brilliant friendly atmosphere. however a little sound proofing on the doors would have been nice.

No cookingfacilities, only microwave. But clean and more like a hotell then other hostels.