7.8
Very Good 347 Total Reviews
7.8
Very Good 347 Total Reviews
Cocoa Mews Located at 101, King Street, , Penang.
Malaysia
Penang 10200 101, King Street
78% 347
5.4163925 100.3391218
    Rooms available

15th Apr 2016
5.4

Bed bugs in the dorm! (at least in beds 7 and 8). I would avoid this place, there are much much better places to stay in Penang.

• Netherlands, Female, 31-40
25th Mar 2016
6.6

My stay at the hostel was ok. It was just not really a nice place to hang out since there's no common room and there's only one 8bed dorm and other than that just private rooms so you won't meet a lot of people. The staff was polite but nothing more than that. I found the bathroom and showers not too clean and they were really hot. Other than that it's a good place to sleep since the aircon works really well and i haven't seen any unwanted animals.

25th Mar 2016

This was my second time staying at Cocoa Mews and both times have yielded great stays! The location is prime. Little India, pretty much the heart of Georgetown. Many of the major bus routes are on the adjacent street, Lebuh Chulia (takes you to Kek Lo Si Temple, Batu Ferrenghi, Penang National Park). Hostel staff extremely friendly, available for most of the day and ready to give recommendations. Have met many great people at this hostel as well. Good air-con, key cards and lockers. Great place!

22nd Mar 2016
3.7

BEDBUGS!! When I arrived, I was told the dorm was 'under renovation' and was put in another room. Then, I found out why. The place is crawling with bedbugs. When I told the owner, he said it was 'just the dorm' even though they were in my room too. They weren't taking proper measures to get rid of them, just airing out the mattresses. They really shouldn't be renting out the rooms at all. The whole place is filthy, and the attitude of the owner was really bad considering the problem. Avoid.

• Lithuania, Male, 25-30
19th Mar 2016
5.7

Basic accommodation. It would have been ok, but me and my friend got bed bugs in a dorm room. Apparently, it's not the first time in the same beds recenly, so they didn't clean the room properly. After first night we got an upgrade to a small private room but we noticed some bed bug stains there too. The guy at the reception said they hadn't had any problems with bed bugs in that room, so we decided to stay only to find more bites and a bed bug on bed. Other places are just few extra ringgits.

5th Feb 2016
7.1

They don't sell bottled water here... really need to sort that out!! The dorm bunks are horrendously squeaky.

• piploarridge
  • England, Female, 18-24
2nd Feb 2016
5.7

On arrival we were greeted by the owner of the hostel who seemed very kind and happy to help us, however when he showed us to our room there was a horrible damp smell. The room also had no windows so was incredibly dark, however the air con was great! Great location though and you just get what you pay for. Shame about the smell! There was an odd atmosphere there too. Kind of scary. We moved to a new hostel a few streets across in the morning which we both preferred!

29th Jan 2016

This place is not really for alone travellers, since there's no real common room where you meet other people. The beds are nice, the rooms are clean, toilets and showers are clean but water pressure not very good. Took me half and hour to wash the conditioner out of my hair, lol. The owner, Howie, is an amazing person and very helpful! I had an allergic reaction and he helped me get meds and kept the cats away from me. :)

22nd Jan 2016

We enjoyed our staying. Good price and place. Staff was very helpful and kind always. Nice and funny location in the heart of little India, very convenient to ride a bus or short walk to the main highlights in the town.

21st Jan 2016

Great staff with honest recommendations. They are very flexible with the travelers plans, and that is so helpful! Great air conditioned rooms. Bigger lockers would be great in the dormitories but not an issue. They provide converters too!