Cocoa Mews Reviews

101, King Street, Penang, Malaysia

On arrival we were greeted by the owner of the hostel who seemed very kind and happy to help us, however when he showed us to our room there was a horrible damp smell. The room also had no windows so was incredibly dark, however the air con was great! Great location though and you just get what you pay for. Shame about the smell! There was an odd atmosphere there too. Kind of scary. We moved to a new hostel a few streets across in the morning which we both preferred!

This place is not really for alone travellers, since there's no real common room where you meet other people. The beds are nice, the rooms are clean, toilets and showers are clean but water pressure not very good. Took me half and hour to wash the conditioner out of my hair, lol. The owner, Howie, is an amazing person and very helpful! I had an allergic reaction and he helped me get meds and kept the cats away from me. :)

We enjoyed our staying. Good price and place. Staff was very helpful and kind always. Nice and funny location in the heart of little India, very convenient to ride a bus or short walk to the main highlights in the town.

Great staff with honest recommendations. They are very flexible with the travelers plans, and that is so helpful! Great air conditioned rooms. Bigger lockers would be great in the dormitories but not an issue. They provide converters too!

The staff were amazing: friendly and helpful. The place had everything a backpacker could need and very well located for enjoying Penang

I arrived 2:15 pm for checking in and the reception was close. there was a note on the door saying that the were in their 'breaking time" and would be back in 45 minutes. I had to call the staff and ask them to come immediately , if not , I would chose another place as I told them that that was not acceptable for a hostel to be 'closed' at checking time.

Nice place, great location, Howie is a legend! Super helpful!

I had one day stay at Cocoa Mews, the staffs are very friendly and help providing a lot information. Nonetheless, for my stay at Dom with 8 beds, I was unlucky to have a room which a bit smelly (suppose due to one of the room mate kept dirty clothes and towels in room for days).

• 25th Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

A place just to spend the night, staff friendly, well located, toilets and showers clean. lacks of atmosphere that usually makes hostel experience better.

Stayed in the dorm. The bed was decent and clean. Bathroom was also above average in cleanliness. Overall, the hostel was pretty clean. Location was excellent. Near to all the sites and also to a bus stop.

Top notch guesthouse for a good price. Located in little India and walking distance from anything worth seeing in Georgetown. Very friendly and helpful staff

Staff extremely helpful. Spacious rooms. Wifi was slow however.

Stayed here one night in the dorms. Good bed with aircon. I booked a room with ensuite but was put in dorm without one, had to go downstairs just to go toilet or shower. Place is basic with no social area but you can't complain for value for money. Location is good right in little India.

Lovely staff, great location, tea facilities, clean bathrooms and comfy beds, yay!

I had a wonderful time at Cocoa Mews! The staff are super helpful; they give you maps on arrival, show you around, free tea, coffee and water.

Situated right in the middle of Little India made this hostel a great location, and 10 minute walk from the bus station and the ferry terminal. Very helpful staff. Recommended but bed was most uncomfortable and bedding inadequate.

Staff are great, they sat down with us to show us the best places on the map and the best places to eat in Georgetown. The private room with en-suite is comfortable, however the bed has a dip in it so we both ended up rolling down it all night. The blankets are small so I'd suggest giving one to each person. Shared bathrooms are always clean and hot water showers are a bonus! Great location in Little India.

Lovely place to stay, perfect location in george town and about a two minute walk from the ferry. The hostel is very clean and looks recently redecorated, beds are made for you and it is in a heritage building. There was a problem with the drains during our stay which they fixed, wasn't really an issue. Maybe because it was off season this place was completely empty so we got a 12 person dorm to ourselves. Lockers are provided free of charge and the dorm has a balcony.

We stayed here for 3 nights, howie the owner is very friendly, helpful and will do anything to assist, room clean, share bathrooms also clean great location in little India, would highly recommend

I had a really nice stay at this hostel. It is located right in the middle of George Town, the staff is very friendly, the room is quite nice and the facilities are totally okay.