Cocoa Mews Reviews

101, King Street, Penang, Malaysia

A very friendly and helpful staff :)

I have to point out that the staff are amazing guys. First night we were watching football but sadly I didn't have beers. The guy from the reception started to say that he could not understand what was doing a spanish guy watching football and not drinking beers, so he basically gave me 1 liter of beer (which worth more than 11 RM) for free! Next morning another guy was explainimg us the city for more than 20 minutes! Worth the stay and defo i'll come back.

The location in little India is great. And the staff was very friendly and helpfull indeed. But there is no common area, like in the Hutton Lodge or many other places, which is more fun, to meet people, and it makes even more money, if they had a bar in the ground-floor, and therefore less rooms. As well a small breakfast would be good.

A very nice hostel in the centre of Georgetown. Staff is really helpful. I got sick when I was there and they really did everything they could to help me. Would definitely stay there again.

The staff was very friendly! They really helped us to find whatever we were looking for! I enjoyed the way they talked to the guests (friendly, funny, familiar).

• 31st Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

The best things about this hostel are its location, and, first of all, its staff. Both the guys at the reception I got to meet, are absolutely wonderful in terms of willingness to help, give advice, talk about Georgetown and even suggest good places to eat, hire a motorcycle, etc. One of the guys even took us to the bus terminal with his car and did so on his dinner break. The rooms are small, modest but clean, and there is no public space for the travellers to gather and talk.

The staff are excellent. Very friendly and professional.

• 30th Jan 2014

I have travelled a lot and this place has to be hands down the friendliest ive ever stayed in. Clean and perfect location. If im ever in penang again i will come back. Thank you!!!!!

Fantastic place to stay. Can not speak highly enough of the staff always happy to help and offer suggestions of places not to be missed or where to go to eat. Was in such a great location. Loved our stay here would highly recommend to anyone and would stay there is I went back to Penang.

• 21st Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

Perfect location in Little India, Georgetown. Staff very helpful. The only thing lacking in this hostel is a space where you can meet fellow travelers. Otherwise, great place with loads of small restaurants and food stalls around.

Location is good if you don't mind being waken up at 6 am, as a mosque is situated in the next building. Loud Indian music from nearby shops starts very early as well. No filter water, only boiled, which means that sometimes it is very hot. Toilets are one floor down from the dorm room. Showers and sinks are en-suite. Resume: very basic. Just a cheap place to sleep and charge electronics for those who explore the town all day.

• 15th Jan 2014
  • Ukraine

it was awesome!! :) the stay was very nice and the staff was kind. I'm looking forward to my next visit :)

Very friendly and helpful staff. Simple, but clean room. Location is right in the heart of Little India. Great value for the money. Highly recommend staying here.

• 12th Jan 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights. The place is good and in Georgetown which makes easy to explore the place. The place is neat and comfortable. The staff are very helpful, they even helped me to plan my trips and places to try some famous food.

I stayed in the room with 8 bunk beds. The lighting is the room is poor. Further more its impractical to switch on the light when its switched off as it will disturb others. Its pitch dark when the light if off and we had to use our phone light. I'd suggest removing the big lights from the ceiling and put low wattage lights between each bunk beds.

• 31st Dec 2013

Like everyone says, the staff here are absolutely amazing and I think they are what make this place. We had a twin private, and it was fine, but tiny. Unfortunately we were next to the bathroom and toilet, and the walls are paper thin, but I doubt all rooms would have this issue. Apart from that the bathrooms were always clean, and the guys downstairs went out of their way to help with anything you needed and recommend things to do. Would stay again!

Cocoa Mews was a nice little guesthouse in Penang. Bathrooms not in rooms so you do have to walk down the corridor in the morning, bed wasn't too comfy and the room is very small. There is a DVD player in your room though and some DVD's to chose from in reception which lifts things up a little as there's no real common area to chill out other than your room. Staff are very nice.

The staff here are so helpful and welcoming. I really enjoyed my stay. Nothing extravagant but you get what you pay for

• 4th Dec 2013

I only stayed here for 1 day, but the people that work here and that I've met are so sweet and genuine, a big plus for a nice stay!!

We booked the double room. Really bad as it had no windows, was small and right at the side of the reception which has also the small resting area, so when people started to arrive at very late night from partying and spent a long time in the resting area, we felt as if a big bunch of people were inside our room. Also the A/C was dropping water from time to time into the bed. Next day we left. Plenty of better places around to choose.