Collingwood Accommodation Melbourne Reviews

137-139 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

If you want to feel like a big family , you should come here . It's a great house with not to many rooms , so everyone knows & helps each other ! You will always find someone to join for some activities and the owner has really good advices and tipps. The atmosphere is great! Also there is a really good restaurant close to the hostel where you can pay whatever you like to. Your mates will tell you ! And there are 2 cute cats to cuddle with :)

• 19th Jan 2016

A hostel with a mix of long timers who have jobs and new arrivals looking for jobs. Homely feel with everything you need to relax: cats, guitars, friends, and fun characters. This is a party hostel with groups of guest always looking for a good time. Don't expect the place to be spotless.

• 12th Jan 2016

Very appreciate to the owner Paul!!!! Put me at a very quite room and give me a lot of useful informations.

The people who were staying there were awesome. Since it mostly has long-term work visa residents, the rooms are a bit messier than I was accustomed to (it felt kinda like a fraternity). I really enjoyed staying there and will definitely be back.

• 31st Dec 2015

This place was exactly what I was looking for. It a great place to meet people and have a good time. Paul (the owner) makes everything as easy as possible - small things like having clean towels at your convenience and Paul providing BBQ food for special occasions made my stay perfect. It has all you'd want from a hostel and I would definitely stay again.

Fantastic hostel, really friendly and relaxed atmosphere with a lot of longer term stays. Will be back for sure!

• 29th Dec 2015

The owner seems to be a nice man but he does recognise that there is quiet a few thing wrong with this hostel but doesnt seem to want to pay to rectify them its unfortunate because this could be a highly rated hostel

as a globetrotter, this is the most weird hostel I have ever stayed: 1. I added an extra night after booking in hostelworld.com via email. when I arrived, there is no one at the reception and I just called the number on the door, eventually I was shouted by the owner (I mean if there is understanding or what, I shouldnt be blamed anyway). he was somehow nice when he was in good mood. 2. to the backpackers living there, great atmosphere! 100 marks! 3. room was basic & a bit dirty

The staff was nice but there were barely anyone at reception. On christmas day I thought it was exceptional but it was the same the 3 next days. The hostel is messy as most people are long term and leave their stuff everywhere. Not that clean either, especially upstairs, and no hand wash in the toilets, which is easier when they are not ensuite. The tram isn't too far.. When you don't have bags to carry. Directions to the hostel was good. No sign until you are right in front of it

Thank you for your lousy review. Until now, we have only had good reviews so you prove the point that 'you cannot please everyone'. One person is at reception, how many receptionists did you want in addition to us supplying your toiletries? When you arrived 9 hours earlier at 8am the hostel was being cleaned after Xmas eve On Xmas day the hostel got a bit messy again as we provided free lunch and dinner for everyone. It was cleaned the next day. You left the day after with your big 3 suitcases.

I had a great time at Collingwood, felt at home straight away! Lovely chilled people staying and 2 cats give the hostel a really nice feel. In a great location with lots of bars and cafes around, also close to the city, only about 15 mins by tram.

• 22nd Dec 2015

Experienced my stay as very satisfying. Would come again always.

• 5th Dec 2015

It was a great stay, if I ever find myself without accommodation again in Melbourne I'll definitely be back.

• 27th Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

I had a great stay at Collingwood Backpackers. Paul was incredibly helpful after our long flight from the U.S. and told us everything we needed to know to begin our year in Australia. The hostel has a very homey feel, as many of the residents are longer-term backpackers. The location was great for meandering around Collingwood's great cafes, bars, and music venues. Would definitely recommend!

As a long term hostel, the vibe is unique and amazing. You matter and they will give you the opportunity to be who you are - so if you rather stay in your room and read read read, you will feel free to do so; but if you are up for a drink and want to socialise, it will be pretty easy to find a buddy! Something we can work on: the toilet upstairs (you know what I mean) and the kitchen can really use some improvements.

Chilled atmosphere, amazing people, laid back owner who is fab, helpful staff, great locations, free wifi, clean bedrooms & communal rooms. Feels a bit more like university halls or a shared house rather than a commercial hostel but was what we were looking for. Would definitely stay here again if I came back to Melbourne!

Stayed at the hostel for 3 weeks in November. Nothing to complain about, free wifi, best location, comfortable beds and a great laid back atmosphere! The hostel is cleaned daily which I could not fault, but may not meet the high standards of others. Would defiantly recommend the hostel and will hopefully stay again.

• 4th Nov 2015

The Collingwood Accommodation is a layed back and comfortable hostel in Fitzroy. If you are planning to stay a bit longer in one place, I can recommend this hostel. It seems more like a big sharehouse then a hostel.

• 1st Nov 2015

Hostel reminds me more of a big house with lots of lovely people living in. Most of them have lived there several months and they seem to keep the place like their home. Facilities are okay and everything works out well, nothing is fancy though. Wifi they have there is actually working pretty well ! Room I had was very cosy 6 girl dorm and it had lockers, table and even mirror. Owner Paul is very nice and helping man. If you are looking for a place for longer stay, this is the one for sure !

• 31st Oct 2015
  • Finland

Great hostel! A very relaxed atmosphere and in a great location not to far from the city centre. The owner Paul was brilliant and very accommodating. Would highly recommend a stay here!

I decided to come to Collingwood as I wanted somewhere homely and to get away from the loudness and busyness of the CBD, and I made an excellent choice coming here. It's a good place to come if you want somewhere to relax and chill out in Melbourne for a while, as well as meet other backpackers as everyone is very friendly!! The CBD is also a short tram ride away (15 mins or so) so you can still experience Melbourne in all its glory!