Collingwood Accommodation Melbourne Reviews

137-139 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

Brilliant little hostel in a fabulous location! Feels more like a house share than any hostel I've stayed at which is great! Everyone is so lovely

Collingwood really made my move to Melbourne something special. I came here alone looking for a place to stay while I found work. I'm happy to say I'm still here a month later with no plans to move out anytime soon. The people here quickly became my family and I can't understand the reviews here complaining about Paul because he's The best landlord. The cats are a nice touch that make the place feel like home and the free wifi is a definite plus. I'm glad to be able to call Collingwood my home!

• 20th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Amazing atmosphere and a great place to get your bearings in Melbourne! Location is perfect!

• 16th Nov 2014

I really liked the location, collingwood has excellent bars, cafes and restaurants. The tram line is a 5 minute walk away and takes you right into the heart of the CBD. The hostel is comfortable, but the people who are staying here make the place, everyone is very friendly. It's a proper backpackers so don't expect a Hilton hotel!

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

The hostel is a great environment and everyone is friendly and welcoming to newbies by the long-term tenants. The owner is working on renovations and the showers are new, hot & cleaned daily. The common rooms are often occupied & chill, lots of opportunity to make new friends! There's always something to go do & someone who would love to go with you. Close to shops, restaurants, grocery, bars, pharmacy, and major transit. WiFi is spotty, but probably because so many people connecting & resetting

Very relaxed here. Felt like I was back at uni staying over a friend's place.

• 8th Nov 2014

Great location and friendly staff and boarders.

• 30th Oct 2014

This hostel is really good. Great staff, atmosphere, vibe and feeling. Located in Collingwood with alot of cafes, restaurant, small boutiques and streetart where you will get the best out of Melbourne. It´s a very relaxed and and sociable hostel with people that stay both short and longterm. Beautiful people and more of a family/home feeling hostel! Highly recommended!

A solid hostel with a very relaxed vibe. A good place to go for a longer stay. Most residents are there long term and working so it has more of a shared house feel. Don't expect luxury or massive cooking space and you won't be disappointed. Do expect friendly people, a comfy living room and free internet. A place which provides a more homely, relaxed and fun place to stay and explore a cool part of the city, rather than the slightly soulless other hostels which are only after your money.

Love staying here! We originally planned on staying 2 nights but have ended up staying for over 3 weeks so far. Although it's listed as a hostel it has a more homely feel where we've met many other travellers who have also loved their stay. The owner is really friendly and up for a chat giving advice on where to go and what to do in and around Melbourne. The facilities are great... new showers and a big kitchen and lounge area

• 21st Oct 2014

This hostel really does have it all; great location, great atmosphere, and great people. Most of the travelers here are staying long term which makes it feel like a big family home, and everybody is so friendly and inclusive. Whether you want to check out the quirky vintage shops and cafes in the surrounding area, go to the nearby beaches or head into the CBD, there will always be someone around who's up for it. Sad to be leaving this place as it was a great first stop in Australia!!

• 21st Oct 2014

This was my first stop in Australia and initially I intended to only stay for a week in Melbourne then move on. However, I like the hostel and the area so much that I'm still there now and not planning on leaving any time soon. It's a really fun hostel in a great neighbourhood with lots of friendly short and long term guests staying here. Very social, very chilled, would definitely recommend to anyone who likes a cool, relaxed place to stay.

This hostel is definitely one of the best I have ever stayed in. The people who live here really make it amazing as everyone is so friendly and relaxed. A lot of people stay here long term so the place has a very homely feel. The location is perfect, so close to Smith st and Brunswick st and all the quirky cafes and bars and shops. The owner is friendly and helpful, if you have any questions I'm sure he has the answer! If you're looking for a personal hostel experience, come here!

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

I came to Collingwood Backpackers expecting to stay for a few weeks, instead, I stayed for nine months. It's a fairly common story at Collingwood B. If you're curious to know why, the answer lies in the people this place attracts. Late Night Impromptu Dance Parties, Interestingly-themed outings and stay-ins, BBQs, lively conversations deep into the night, slowly winning over feline friends, making friends from all rounded corners of the globe; made CB some of the best times I've ever had.

• 21st Sep 2014

Collingwood is a gem among hostels. Housed in a historic Victorian in the heart of Collingwood, a hip neighborhood teeming with quirky shops and cafes, the hostel is as full of personality and charm. Eclectic artwork and posters line the walls, while the common spaces are comfortable and well-loved. What makes this hostel unique are the travelers who inhabit this space, often staying for long periods of time and lending a rare personal and family feel to the place. You'll want to stay a while.

Collinwood Backpackers is a true pearl. The hostels inhabitants is mostly long term stays which makes for a great atmosphere and a 'home-away' kind of feeling. Paul the hostels owner is a real one of a kind who always have the time for a chat and some great tips. For the three weeks I've been here I have started to call this place home and I would never stay at any other hostel when I find my way back to Melbourne again.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Once again, we came here for a place to stay while we went to a gig nearby. This time we had a room to ourselves, which meant we didn't have to worry about waking people up when we went to bed or when we left in the morning. Good place to go when you need a place to crash for the night.

We were going to a gig in Collingwood about 3 doors down from the hostel, so the location was sublime. We were after beds to stumble into so we didn't have to drive home at 2am, and that was what we got. The long term residents there give the place a sense of community, and were very friendly to us in the brief time that we were there.

I had a great time at the Collingwood Hostel. The staff and the owner were very welcoming and very accommodating. I have to thank them for making my move to Melbourne very easy and seamless. I will definitely stay there again and I will be recommending it to many of my friends.

• 30th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Everyones very welcoming and helpful. Just filled with a nice group of people. Felt more like a home than a hostel. In a really good area, nice walk in to the city or a quick tram ride.

• 28th Aug 2014