Collingwood Accommodation Melbourne Reviews

137-139 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

We were going to a gig in Collingwood about 3 doors down from the hostel, so the location was sublime. We were after beds to stumble into so we didn't have to drive home at 2am, and that was what we got. The long term residents there give the place a sense of community, and were very friendly to us in the brief time that we were there.

• 12th Sep 2014

I had a great time at the Collingwood Hostel. The staff and the owner were very welcoming and very accommodating. I have to thank them for making my move to Melbourne very easy and seamless. I will definitely stay there again and I will be recommending it to many of my friends.

• 30th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Everyones very welcoming and helpful. Just filled with a nice group of people. Felt more like a home than a hostel. In a really good area, nice walk in to the city or a quick tram ride.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Awesome place! One big family :-)

• 22nd Aug 2014

I loved Collingwood but I wouldn't recommend it for all types of people. It caters to a certain type of person which is why I like it but may not be to the liking of the mainstream backpacker. If you are a laid back person looking for authentic genuine characters then Collingwood is for you. If you're looking for something sterile then look elsewhere.

• 19th Aug 2014

Dirty all the time. Smoking inside, gross. Owner rude, helpers stoned. Freezing cold.

I can only refer to Basil Faulty when he said:- "This is typical. Absolutely typical... of the kind of... I have to put up with from you people! You ponce in here expecting to be hand... waited on hand and foot, while I'm trying to run a hotel here! Have you any idea of how much there is to do? Do you ever think of that? Of course not! You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking about for things to complain about". I am not rude, I am arrogant.

Im long term now :) not going anywhere for a while hihi

• 11th Aug 2014

A lovely hostel wich felt home from the moment i walked in! Its a chill place with cool people who live here for a longer period. Its located close to smith- and brunswickstreet and also easy to take a tram to CBD. the owner is friendly and helpfull and i love his cats :) Its a hostel where people live, so Its not the cleanest place, but Its fine. In short; collingwoods hostel is a chilled out, comfortable, good place to meet people and have a good time!

• 8th Aug 2014

Collingwood Backpackers is everything a true hostel should be - relaxed, friendly, welcoming, full of character. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are clean, it’s close to Smith St and Brunswick St and only a tram ride from the CBD. It attracts a really cool crowd of long termers and those staying a few days in the city. And the building itself is just gorgeous - highly recommended.

Great location, the owner is a nice guy ready to help out.

The Collingwood Backpackers; an eclectic mix of international backpackers is a backpackers that sets the standards of what should be expected of hostels in Melbourne. Minutes walk away from the ever popular streets of Brunswick and Smith, it provides plenty of opportunities for travelers like myself. Partial critiques, it attracts those who wish to – and have an open-mind upon arrival – of experiencing the Australian culture with a laid back environment amongst a world-class hospitality scene.

• 19th Apr 2014

Very chill hostel, most people here are living here and working around this area so it's not roudy at night and you get to sleep!

• 15th Apr 2014

Absolutely love this place!! Amazing location close to Smith

• 5th Apr 2014

Fairly good location. While the hostel was quite messy during my stay it wasn't dirty. Bathrooms were spotless. Very social environment. Cool cat. Beds were comfy.

Stay at this hostel if you're looking for a big shared house with a family feel where you can smoke indoors. Do NOT stay at this hostel if you're looking for somewhere with conventional hostel services, such as a 24hour reception, good standard of hygiene etc.