Collingwood Accommodation Melbourne Reviews

137-139 Johnston Street, Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia

This hostel is definitely one of the best I have ever stayed in. The people who live here really make it amazing as everyone is so friendly and relaxed. A lot of people stay here long term so the place has a very homely feel. The location is perfect, so close to Smith st and Brunswick st and all the quirky cafes and bars and shops. The owner is friendly and helpful, if you have any questions I'm sure he has the answer! If you're looking for a personal hostel experience, come here!

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

I came to Collingwood Backpackers expecting to stay for a few weeks, instead, I stayed for nine months. It's a fairly common story at Collingwood B. If you're curious to know why, the answer lies in the people this place attracts. Late Night Impromptu Dance Parties, Interestingly-themed outings and stay-ins, BBQs, lively conversations deep into the night, slowly winning over feline friends, making friends from all rounded corners of the globe; made CB some of the best times I've ever had.

• 21st Sep 2014

Collingwood is a gem among hostels. Housed in a historic Victorian in the heart of Collingwood, a hip neighborhood teeming with quirky shops and cafes, the hostel is as full of personality and charm. Eclectic artwork and posters line the walls, while the common spaces are comfortable and well-loved. What makes this hostel unique are the travelers who inhabit this space, often staying for long periods of time and lending a rare personal and family feel to the place. You'll want to stay a while.

Collinwood Backpackers is a true pearl. The hostels inhabitants is mostly long term stays which makes for a great atmosphere and a 'home-away' kind of feeling. Paul the hostels owner is a real one of a kind who always have the time for a chat and some great tips. For the three weeks I've been here I have started to call this place home and I would never stay at any other hostel when I find my way back to Melbourne again.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Once again, we came here for a place to stay while we went to a gig nearby. This time we had a room to ourselves, which meant we didn't have to worry about waking people up when we went to bed or when we left in the morning. Good place to go when you need a place to crash for the night.

We were going to a gig in Collingwood about 3 doors down from the hostel, so the location was sublime. We were after beds to stumble into so we didn't have to drive home at 2am, and that was what we got. The long term residents there give the place a sense of community, and were very friendly to us in the brief time that we were there.

I had a great time at the Collingwood Hostel. The staff and the owner were very welcoming and very accommodating. I have to thank them for making my move to Melbourne very easy and seamless. I will definitely stay there again and I will be recommending it to many of my friends.

• 30th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Everyones very welcoming and helpful. Just filled with a nice group of people. Felt more like a home than a hostel. In a really good area, nice walk in to the city or a quick tram ride.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Awesome place! One big family :-)

• 22nd Aug 2014

I loved Collingwood but I wouldn't recommend it for all types of people. It caters to a certain type of person which is why I like it but may not be to the liking of the mainstream backpacker. If you are a laid back person looking for authentic genuine characters then Collingwood is for you. If you're looking for something sterile then look elsewhere.

• 19th Aug 2014

Dirty all the time. Smoking inside, gross. Owner rude, helpers stoned. Freezing cold.

I can only refer to Basil Faulty when he said:- "This is typical. Absolutely typical... of the kind of... I have to put up with from you people! You ponce in here expecting to be hand... waited on hand and foot, while I'm trying to run a hotel here! Have you any idea of how much there is to do? Do you ever think of that? Of course not! You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking about for things to complain about". I am not rude, I am arrogant.

Im long term now :) not going anywhere for a while hihi

• 11th Aug 2014

A lovely hostel wich felt home from the moment i walked in! Its a chill place with cool people who live here for a longer period. Its located close to smith- and brunswickstreet and also easy to take a tram to CBD. the owner is friendly and helpfull and i love his cats :) Its a hostel where people live, so Its not the cleanest place, but Its fine. In short; collingwoods hostel is a chilled out, comfortable, good place to meet people and have a good time!

• 8th Aug 2014

Collingwood Backpackers is everything a true hostel should be - relaxed, friendly, welcoming, full of character. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are clean, it’s close to Smith St and Brunswick St and only a tram ride from the CBD. It attracts a really cool crowd of long termers and those staying a few days in the city. And the building itself is just gorgeous - highly recommended.

Great location, the owner is a nice guy ready to help out.