Colombo Lavinia Beach Hostel Reviews

6A Samudra Mawatha, Mount Lavinia, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Staff were always happy to help, but the lady who was there for most of the time is not from Colombo and did not have a good knowledge of where to go etc. Very quiet and relaxing. Great kitchen. Super close to the beach - 60 seconds walk! A decent bus trip into the heart of Colombo though. Would return :-)

Nice hostel. The woman who runs it is very helpful and nice. Didn't really like mount Lavinia. Very intimidating to walk around, it felt very unsafe at night for a female on her own.

Great stay here, very very friendly staff. Best bit was having a few beers on the beach and then just walking the 1 minute back to the hostel. Security is great and my dorm was very clean. Also nice places to sit outside. Only issue was the internet wasn't working for me while there, and maybe having an option for breakfast purchasing would've been great. Really great hostel with a very nice relaxed vibe away from the crazy downtown Colombo.

Great location and the wonderful Rita make this a good value stay. Close to beach

Rita is amazing. Hostel is 2 mins walk from beach! 30 mins from city centre. Lovely chilled vibe. Thank you.

• 24th Jun 2014

Owner not very friendly or helpful

I great place to stay, very homely, very comfortable, and very close to the beach.

This is a nice place to stay, the owner is really nice and friendly, and the environment is very cozy! I would stay a couple more days here if I could!

Price is unbeatable and staff (2 lady) are really friendly. You can feel like you are at your home. The only negative thing is location (If you need to go city center, everyday). Just check it from Google Map before you book.

Very nice and friendly hostle would defently recommend to people we meet at other hostels around Sri Lanka

nice hostel close to the beach. very lovely and helpfull stuff. the surrounding is quite but you can reach supermarket and restaurants in 5 min footwalk or you take the train for 15 rupia to the citycenter (15 min). its

A wonderful place to stay just outside Colombo, with the beach right next door and easy to get into Colombo. Incredibly friendly and helpful ladies run the place, and are willing to accommodate and help with any questions or advice. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay in the Colombo area.

• 30th Apr 2014

Merle at Lavini Beach was very helpful when it came to booking taxis and she also gave us a free home cooked meal on my first night, which was really approciated as I'd arrived quite late. The room was okay, but the air con unit wasn't working and the toilet seat was cracked. The rooms could do with a general overhall including clean bedding to improve it. The beach is close by, which is a good reason to stay at this Hostel and gives easy access to some lovely bars & restaurants by the ocean.

I had a single room with a fan and it was poorly ventilated. I couldn't open the windows because of the mosquitos.The room itself was dingy, but the dorms were nice. Rita , the lady who worked there, was absolutely amazing. She was a very sweet and kind :)

Run by 2 friendly ladies, and lots of other travellers there. We were pleased to be in Lavinia Beach- much quieter and nicer than Fort! Easy to explore the city, just take a tuktuk to the centre. Good fan in room, and we appreciated the tea/coffee making facilities!

Great location, good hosts, well maintained hostel. WiFi was not available in our hostel dorm - the only thing I disliked about this place.

Good solid hostel. Nothing to upset and nothing too much to delight! Close to beach and the ladies running the show are nice.

beautiful garden, peaceful atmosphere, a place perfect to chill out, but the wifi is only available at the reception

The owner was very nice and found answers to every question I had regarding transportation (which busses/trains to take). I stayed in the mixed dorm that didn't have A/C and it did get a little stuffy at night but maybe if the curtains had been opened there would have been more of a breeze. Nice backpacker vibe, easy to meet people. Short walk to the main road made buying meals cheaper than eating at beach restaurants.

My stay at the Lavinia Beach Hostel was awesome! Its a 30min Train ride away from Fort Colombo (18km) and is located very close to the Beach. Its very clean, cheap and they have an amazing/helpfull staff. I really recommend this Hostel to start off your travels around Sri Lanka!