Colombo Lavinia Beach Hostel Reviews

6A Samudra Mawatha, Mount Lavinia, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Not great facilities. Staff not very helpful. Room too hot to sleep. Bed very uncomfortable- poor quality mattress. Fan VERY loud, even with earplugs. Woke up to a huge cockroach climbing up the inside of my mosquito net at 3am and never got back to sleep. Handy for the beach and nice courtyard. Not very social.

Nice place, cozy garden, average dorms. Very poor wifi, had to go elsewhere to book our next stay. We ordered and paid for a 6 bed dorm, got 4 bed dorm and 2 beds in the next room, but when we came to use the 2 beds the second night, they where taken - sold twice! We just slept with kids again. A misunderstanding between us and the hostel made the taxi wait, we said sorry, she said "in my country" and "seemed" to forget our key deposit, we just talked about it! Poor service, never again

The pictures and the hostel are planets apart from each other, i booked a single room for 1600 which was super expensive and then they gave me a shoebox next to the garage and asked for more money to update to an acceptable but not very comfortable room. for the money its a joke. i would not recomand this place and I ask myself how on earth got this place so many positive comments. maybe cause the staff is pretty used to western people and so the atmosphere was ok

We are deeply sorry to learn that there were various aspects of your time with us that resulted in an unsatisfactory stay. We really appreciate your feedback, though of course we are disappointed that we couldn't make your stay an enjoyable one. We accept full responsibility for the error regarding the allocation of your room. The above points are ones that we can certainly learn from, and we appreciate your time taken in providing constructive feedback. We always modify our guest rooms and with your feedback regarding the room in question we will certainly look at making it better for future guests. Please rest assured we will look into the matter and do the needful to ensure our guests will get only positive experiences on their holiday.

The lady who owns the hostel is amazing and very welcoming. The hostel is a stunning place and ran like a tight ship... recommend! A little pricey, but cheap accommodation is hard to come by in Sri Lanka anyway.

My room had noise issue coming from outside, ac running motor all night long as it was attached to the garage. Other than that it was a good place.

Great hostel and host. Very close to the beach. Really enjoyed it.

• 23rd Jan 2016
  • India

beautiful hostel cheap close to the beach nice people. recommended for sure!

• 20th Jan 2016
  • Israel

Pretty chilled place right next to the beach - for the cheapest place i could find in colombo you couldnt ask for much more

This was the best hostel I stayed at during my 3 weeks tour in Sri Lanka. The hostel itself has a great homely atmosphere to it. Great location away from the city centre. A place to relax and unwind. The hostel is run by a very friendly lady who will go out of her way to make sure the guests are looked after well. As soon as I checked in the staff offered me a nice cup of Ceylon Tea which was very refreshing after the long journey. This hostel was a great start to my holiday in Sunny Sri Lanka.

• 15th Jan 2016

really comfortable and quiet place with helpfull staff and 2min away from the beach, will come back soon!!

We loved our host; she was very kind and helpful. The bathroom should have been much cleaner- lots of mold/mildew on the shower curtain and shower walls, bath sink not very clean, used soap left in bath from previous guest, etc. Also the toilet seat was broken. It was pricey for the quality of the room but the location was good.

• 12th Jan 2016
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Staff was not really friendly. Sleeping dorms were hot during the night

I've stayed in a lot of hostels! Found the staff quite difficult to understand and unhelpful when asking for advice on how to get places etc. Did not particularly enjoy my stay here.

Started and finished my one month trip here at Lavinia Beach Hostel! Great place to meet like minded travellers and is literally minutes to the beach. The ladies running the show are lovely, always willing to have a chat and are quite knowledgeable when it comes to further adventures in Sri Lanka. It might be a little further from colombo city but this was a blessing as I'd just come from the hustle and bustle of India!

• 1st Jan 2016

positive: Just 100 meters from the beach, nice atmosphere, full of Backpackers Negative: No hot water

Had a great new years eve at the hostel! Nice atmosphere and very helpful staff!

• 30th Dec 2015

Really nice place, nice just to sit and relax without have to go the beach, which is only a short wayaway. Close to main road as well as beach but in a quirt area. Looks like a bad neighbourhood of you arrive at night but it's absolutely fine. 8/10

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Wales

Nice stay here - great to be away from Colombo - easy to get to Colombo on the bus and met lots of great people here

Located in a quiet residential neighbourhood pretty much next to Lavinia Beach. Mt Lavinia itself is not in central Colombo which may or may not be a dealbreaker for some - it's preferrable if you want to relax and hang out on the beach. There's a small pool available for the guests for most of the day, and a common lounge area that's usually a great place to meet people. Wifi in the common area but can be flaky when many people logon. Rooms are basic and clean. Great, relaxed vibe.

I actually found the staff a little stand offish, Which came across as a little unfriendly. which is opposite to all the reviews I read

« first « Prev 1 2 3