Containers Hostel Reviews

97 Ocean Drive, Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh, Scotland

Be forewarned: They bribe guests with free beer for a good review! That said, I enjoyed my stay, mostly because the staff has trivia nights and other activities. It's a 20-min. bus ride to Edinburgh and pretty rough around the edges, in that it's like a swamp when it rains; many folks party loudly all night; the bathrooms periodically run out of TP and soap; pretty much NO ONE washes their dishes; there are no instructions for the TV (and some hog it to watch cartoons)...just sayin'! ;-)

Great cheap place to lay your head after visiting the fringe festival

Very low price - performance ratio (location, staff, security) but nice to meet some really open-minded people

Very friendly and welcoming staff at the hostel, who gave us a hilarious Quiz night. Very clear, helpful and approachable staff. The hostel itself is lovely to stay in, sleeping quarters lovely and warm. Showers, toilets etc all clean and good quality. The only issue was finding the hostel - the containers were smaller than we expected and we drove past a good few times.

Good value. Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff. Quite a quirky place, certainly adds to the fringe feeling. Really enjoyed my 3 night stay. Nick located something I left behind and is sending it on. Some might not like the outdoor aspects of the hostelhostel, but for me they really made it. Well done guys such a great concept.

Love this hostel! unique atmosphere everyone was very friendly perfect for socailising. The 24/7 bus links just outside the front door were a great help. I did read some of the comments about the security before coming however I would disagree there are lockers provided, CCTV around the site and staff constantly on duty i felt safe and secure the whole time I was there. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone, hope to come back again!

Nice idea for a hostel, however the location is not the best. Located near the ocean terminal which is really nice, but if youwant to explore the city living in the centre comes in more handy. Wouldn't recommend to stay there in winter as I imagine it becomes quite cold and wet then.. however the staff were very nice and trying to make everyone happy, thanksfor that :)

Hi, thanks for your review We are only a summer hostel and are only open for June, July and August. :) Maybe see you next Summer! Enjoy the rest of your travels! Bryn

no locks on anything so anyone could walk in. facilities are decent and will get the job done. not enough storage space in kitchen. wifi only worked in the common area which was outside which was super cold. if youre into partying than this place does that very well. however an enforcement of a curfew in the sleeping containers needs to be implemented. every night the same guy walked in at 2am, turned the lights on and made a lot of noise while getting into bed. while people were sleepin

Thanks for your honest review. We are taking on board all comments and will be implementing all kinds of security updates next summer. Including a front door code lock, more cameras and more lockers. That said, there are lockers on site you could use. The hostels that I've stayed at that have a curfew are rubbish mate, I'm afraid in Edinburgh during the Fringe festival that 100% isn't happening. Someone coming in and turning on a light will happen at any hostel worldwide. Bryn

This place was great! Everyone was so welcoming and friendly when I arrived. I would recommend this hostel for anyone who is looking for a chilled out and relaxed atmosphere that is also full of fun! Ill definitely be staying here on my next trip to Edinburgh!

• 13th Aug 2015

There is no lock on the ouside door and also none on the rooms. Anybody could just walk freely in and out of the rooms. The kitchen towels were smelly to say the least. This is more of a party/festival village then a decent hostel.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • Belgium

the hostel is great for your money! a but out of the ways, about a 40 min walk to city center but the staff was fantastic and the atmosphere was incredible!

It was just perfect !! Thank you so much for this incredible night (and for my birthday!) the atmosphere was just amazing.

Lovely hostel for backpackers and great value for money. Would definitely recommend for my students friends.

The place was excellent and the staff were very friendly.Everyone was so sociable and pleasant.

• 27th Jul 2015

Comfy beds with clean sheets. Ample space with comfy seating, clean and safe facilities, free parking, on a regular bus route and great friendly staff.

• 26th Jul 2015

Only one thing! The fridges are always fool.

• 22nd Jul 2015
  • Portugal

One of the best hostels I've stayed at. Amazing staff, fun environmentenvironment. I would stay here again

• 21st Jul 2015

Ok. Staffs flirts with you. Mall next door has better wifi than hostel. Pretty much 0 security.

Hi, We enjoyed having you stay sorry if the staff came across as flirty I can assure you they are only trying to be friendly and make everyone feel welcome. As pointed out on the welcome tour the wi-fi has a strong signal at the outside social area (inside the signal is affected by the container walls). We do provide security lockers for guests to hire again this would of been pointed out to you on the welcome tour. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. All the best Nick

I quite like the novelty of the containers, and it makes it feel like camping, so it's a lil different to your typical hostel. Facilities are very basic, which I'd expected for the low price. Security isn't great as there are no locks on room doors, but at least the owner was nice and let me store my laptop in reception. Didn't like that there are no private changing areas in the bathroom. Hostel is a bit far from city centre too, but Leith is an OK area. Social atmosphere is good though.

I spent a weekend in Edinburgh with a couple of friends. We hadn't checked the photos of the place (our mistake) and we couldn't find it because it wasn't what we were expecting. But in the end, we liked our stay there, the personal was very nice to us. The atmosphere was relaxing in the common places. The room was clean and with enough space. Toilets were not wonderful, but it was okay. The only bad thing was that it was quite far (around 40 minutes) from the Old part of Edinburgh.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Spain

Hi, Thanks for your review. I'm hope you didn't get too much of a shock when you arrived due to not seeing the pictures. :) I don't know what bus you were getting but it takes no more than 15-20 minutes on the 22 from Ocean Terminal (where we are) to get to the Old Town. We would love to have you back when ever! Enjoy the rest of your travels. Bryn :)