Coral Rock Hotel Reviews

Jambiani, Zanzibar, Zanzibar, Tanzania

No Rating

The improvement I would recommend is improving the internet access. The service tended to drop, sometimes for the whole day.

Rooms vary a lot in quality and noise level (10 and up are much nicer and more quiet). It is simply too expensive for what you get. Pool is stunning!

• 28th Jul 2013
  • South Africa

A relaxing getaway in a quiet and secluded area of the island. Staff were friendly and helpful and the accommodations were very lovely. We especially enjoyed the A/C and the pool that overlooked the ocean. Food was delicious but expensive. It was also a pricey ride from Stone Town at $60 each way. However, worth the money to stay at such a beautiful place. The hotel arranged a snorkeling day trip to a stunning island for $80 pp and it was the highlight of our week in Zanzibar. Would return.

This is a very lovely place to stay, I love the way they have tried to blend in with the natural habitat. Very courteous staff,made new friends and the food even though a little pricy is great. Definitely a place I will visit again and recommend to friends!

• 12th Apr 2013
  • Kenya

Very nice quit hotel with friendly staff. Nice outdoor area and beautiful restaurant with amazing food and outdoor seats (normal seats, beds, hammock, swing) and nice swimmingpool. Good massage and hennah at cheap prices. Restaurant is not the cheapest, but everyting is fresh. Paying with VISA is possible (5% surcharge). Hotel was clean but we had some ants in our shower (between the coral rocks - very beautifull shower though). Defenitly worth it!

• 7th Mar 2013
  • Belgium

Spectacular spot... Awesome setting... Only drawback is the hotel offers a transfer of $55 one way, would not do it as you can organise something for around $40

It was a good hotel and good value for your money situated in a cute village of Jambiani, though be aware that when you arrive you might be shocked at how non-touristy the surroundings are and takes some time to get used to it, but very charming.

• 22nd Dec 2011
  • Sweden

Not a relaxing holiday that I was expecting. There are no real bungalows in this place, they are all joined together and closely positioned near the bar/restaurant that has music and parties on until 2am every second night. Our room was in a little annex right by the pool, had damp on the walls and the showerhead fell off. The food in the restaurant was OK but expensive and geared towards the large amount of Italian guests. Not much of a welcome from staff either, very disappointed.

Coral Rock is an fantastic location for a quiet and relaxing break. It is ideally situated on a beautiful beach - all white sand and turquoise sea. The team at Coral Rock are relaxed but attentive. The food was excellent and they have a good range of wines to choose from. If you want a veranda or private seating area, it's probably worth asking for one when you make your booking as there are a couple of bungalows that don't have them. Next time, and I'd like to think there will be a next time, I'll bri

This is an amazing place never felt as relaxed in my whole life. Staff are amazing and always work hard to keep the customers happy. The rooms were always spotlessly clean and have huge comfy beds. The place its self is beautiful with amazing views that constantly change with the tides. The restaraunt was also brilliant, every single meal was delicious. Thank you for an excelllent stay

• 11th Aug 2010
  • Scotland

We had a great stay at the Coral Rock. We booked for 2 nights, but stayed an extra 2 because the place was so relaxed, very quiet and right on the beach. The staff were very polite and helpful, the restaurant food was generally good quality/value by western/hotel standards (3-4/5) and the pool is a big bonus when it's low tide. Anyone wanting a relatively cheap holiday or break from the RTW trip will find this place perfect!

Perfect place for a honeymoon or for those who seek quietness for some other reason.

Coral Rock staff were really friendly and the food was good. This resort is not situated on a white sandy beach though. There is quite a bit of rock and seaweed and the tide goes way out so its not ideal for swimming. Overall nice place to stay though.

Hi Paula It is important to mention that there is a lot of beach and no seaweed surrounding the hotel from end March to Mid Dec. Then the wind changes direction and moves some of the sand from the base of the rock that the hotel is built on - revealing some of the underlying rock and sometimes a low tide will leave some seaweed on this rock which is picked up by the next high tide

Fantastic time had! Very friendly and helpful staff. Absolutely beautiful location. Tours easily organised and miles of beautiful beach to explore-not to mention the village of Jambiani itself...all we could wish for were longer holidays!!! Thank you!

A cool, chilled out place with great staff in an amazing setting. Needs a bit of attention though, in particular the beds - material in my mattress seemed to be plastic and my friend's was covered in a furry/ velveteen. Plus the sheets were poor quality leading to an unpleasant sleeping experience - especially on the night that the power failed. But the food is good, the staff really helpful, if you like quirkiness and want to stay in a beautiful place for a very reasonable price this is it.

I wanted to do things in Stone Town so the hotel was too far away

the menu needs to be woked on, some things that were not fried would be good and even when we felt like something fried it was pretty sickly, maybe cerial in the mornings as well and making sure you have the things that were on the menu.

I loved it! The pool was wonderful! And so was the beach! The staff was professional and could be both friends and staff in a good way. I don't recommend it for party-people but for everyone else.

We had a problem regarding the final bill payment. I was told by the manager ( Bonita) they would only accept American dollars as payment. I had to hunt high and low all over Stone Town to change my travellers cheques. In the process I lost quite a lot of money because the exchange rate on the Island is terrible. When I finally made the payment to guy who had patiently waited over an hour for us to change the money ( he had dropped us in Stone town ), we were told we could have paid in shillings. I think they need to be more clear about payment methods. Had we known this, our bill could have been settled in minutes. We also had no working power point in our room. We were told this would be fixed but it never was. This meant we had to charge our batteries etc at the bar for the four days we were there. There never appeared to be a manager on site . We saw Bonita on only one day and no one seemed to know where she was after that.

• 24th Aug 2007
  • New Zealand

Jambo Anna I think there may have been a misunderstanding - we do take ZAR, US$, TZS and EUR cash payments. We do not however take travellers cheques. All plug points in the rooms work although sometimes the adapters (multiplugs) pack in. We have two managers. Ali and Bonita. Bonita left for South Africa and will return on the 16th of September. I would be interested to hear how your stay was apart from this incident. Kind Regards Neil

The Coral Rock was a great value for the money. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the food was enexpensive and delicious (especially the coconut curry), and the views of the Indian Ocean were incredible. If you are looking to "get way from it all", this is the place to go.