Cork International Youth Hostel (An Oige) Reviews

1 Red Cliff, West End Rad, Cork, Ireland

Lovely, calm place to stay. Staff were very helpful

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Wales

The good vs excellent has a major effect on the rating..... Negatively. However my experience was not. I've stayed here 3 times now and it's always for the night before the airport as I head out of town. The staff are great, limited parking but it works, and rooms are breathable with open windows. I will continue to stay here. And the price is unbeaten!! Not fancy but very functional. Thanks again!!

Great value for the cheap price, clean room, not close to the center though and the buses aren't frequent.

The Hostel is okay for its price and the staff was helpful. Several things though that could be considered. The kitchen facility opens at 7.45 AM, which I find rather late. The kitchen has only the most basic stuff, not even a knife to peel potato with or cut carots or such. The soda machine would do much better in the dining room as they make noise and the lounge could be a lot quieter without them. Also, sink is in the sleeping room, which makes it quite hard to not disturb other people.

• 10th Sep 2014

the shower is a little annoying, I have press the button every 15-20seconds!

• 4th Sep 2014
  • China

No complaints here. It's about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. Cork is easy to get around on foot. The showers are push buttoned, bit annoying. The staff are great.

Congratulation for your Hostel! Probably one of the best when I stay, the staff is very nice, the services are perfects and the atmosphere is very friendly - off course we are in Irish!!

• 29th Aug 2014

Very nice and staff excellent breakfast very good. the ONLY problem was I was very cold could have used some heat in the building. thank you, Brid Manning

• 19th Aug 2014

The location of the hostel does not let you see the best side of cork, we judged the city very poorly at first due to the location. There seemed to be very little around it with the closest pub being 10 minute walk away which meant a late night walk through a not great part of town. The kitchen was also tiny considering how many people stay there and the staff not as welcoming as in other places

It was quite difficult to find the hostel since there are no "billboards" or even a name of the hostel anywhere on the building (well, there was a really small sign at the rear side of the building). However, our stay there was nice. What we found as a major problem was that there was not a sufficient number of plugs in the room and if there were some, they were behind the beds (which was quite impractical), so we have to use hairdryer in the corridor...

The staff at this hostel always seemed surprised when I went down to ask questions - it was as if they didn't expect to have people asking them things about the airport, or how to find the nearest grocery store. The kitchen here is a joke. There is no oven or stove - just a couple gas lit burners, with broken igniters, so you have to have your own lighter or matches to even use them. They have a large, well equipped kitchen that is only for the staff to cook in for people who buy meals.

Nearly Everything was exactly what you want out of a hostel. Friendly and Helpful Staff. Clean and Secure Rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Great Location just on the edge of town. Nice atmosphere about the hostel. Couple of improvement ideas: Provision of lockers in rooms for valuables. Provision of soap dispensers in showers.

• 25th Jul 2014

A bit remote without a car, hostel is a nice safe place to stay in Cork. Morning breakfast is extra cost but good value. Staff can be hit or miss. The older woman who checked us in, however, was extremely nice and went out of her way to ensure we knew the directions to a great new Asian restaurant she'd recommended (thanks!) within walking distance of hostel. Beautiful Victorian with meticulously maintained front landscaping. Clean private room with ensuite bathroom makes hostel good Cork choice

I found most things adequate however I can not express my deep seated hatred for the push button showers that I have only ever encountered at Youth Hostels in Ireland. No other Hostel I have stayed at, no matter how environmentally friendly, uses this unique form of torture. Dublin YHA's and Cork YHA's showers have the added feature of becoming too hot to shower in.

• 19th Jul 2014

Overall it was a great deal for the price we paid. The location was fairly close to the city center. The food for breakfast was good, although it should be noted that breakfast was an extra cost and not included. The sheets we had were stained, and there was no wifi in the rooms (only the lobby), which was inconvenient.

• 19th Jul 2014

the guy a the reception don't talk about facilities, breakfast, or anything, he just give the key and take the money. The kitchen is really too small, and the rooms are not properly cleaned (including bathroom)

I was traveling with a lot of expensive technology because I was waiting to be at school and there was no lockers. The facilities are old and relatively clean, but it was much further from the city centre than I thought it would. Overall, okay for the money, but will probably not return.

Stayed here as quick stop for one night after we finished the ring of Kerry. I would rate this hostel as very average hostel, nothing in particular stood out as spectacular but nothing stood out as terrible. I wouldn't reccomend this hostel for a long term stay but for a quick rest stop it is perfect.

This is a great hostel. Just be aware there is a 20-25 minute walk to the city centre. However it is a lovely walk. It's a nice relaxing hostel, mainly because of it's location. Great park behind the hostel as well.

Hostel a little bit far from the centre. Clean and beautiful. Good atmosphere and friendly.