Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Pretty clean hostel other than the cockroaches in the lockers. Beds are pretty decent. Room gets pretty cold so no need for AC. Rooms are pretty loud in the morning. The pool and restaurant are nice and set up a good atmosphere to meet people.

We left a night early because they came and wanted to exterminate our room while we were sleeping. We were not to comfortable with that. They could use some improvement in the restroom/shower area. Price was good. There was quite a bit of noise at night just because it was right down town. They would not refund our deposit and they probably should have under the circumstances.

The bed was comfortable but my room was right by the main hang out area so if you wanted to rest early the music was quite loud and the voices of those who stayed up real late carried over. Also, in the early morning you can hear honking and trains passing by in the city. Otherwise, the grounds were nice and provided nice tropical feel while still in the city.

Great sociable hostel

Thank you for comments!

Nice hostel and cool pool bar area. A shame that the rooms weren't very nice and showers etc not very clean also had cold showers. The guy on reception was helpful but seemed under staffed! Was ok for 1 night though.

Hello! Thank you so much for your comments, they push us to be better! We have cleaning staff all day 24/7 and the rooms go from privates to the cheapest dorms. They are basic but clean and organized.

Great location and great space. A larger hostel that is great for meeting people. .The kitchen could definitely use an upgrade but otherwise, the space was fantastic and the free coffee good. There was also an issue with the wifi the duration of our stay but not all that important given the fact that we spent a lot of time away.

Hello! Thank you so much for your comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. There were some problems with the company that provides Internet during those dates because they were making changes on their network system.

Spent 4 nights here, not much to do in San Jose as such, the place felt like a terminal for travelers. Had a fun last night though met some good people. Good restaurant. (Very quiet, good food, nice lady)

pretty old place and therefore in the according condition. serves the purpose though. wifi wasn't working while we were there.

The common areas were great but some people didn't respect the 10 PM quiet hours and it didn't seem like they were enforced. Wasn't able to sleep very well (I was in the 8 female dorm) due to inconsiderate roommates and staff were noisy in the early hours of the morning. Sound carries very far in the hostel. Bathrooms were also not the best in terms of cleanliness but I did see that staff check in on them several times a day, so it was probably due to messy guests.

• 7th Jan 2015

Was a nice place. Will definitely be using it in the future

• 5th Jan 2015

I heard really good things about this hostel, but unfortunately i'll never know as I arrived in San Jose and was picked up by the hostel as arranged, only to be told that the hostel had overbooked and I couldn't actually stay there. Got taken to another hostel which was ok but definitely not worth the same money as this place looks like it would have been in terms of facilities. Exact same thing happened to 6 other people i spoke to. Need to sort out there booking system!!

I was only able to stay in Costa Rica Backpackers for a single night due to some unfortunate incidents prior to coming to San Jose, and I was incredibly happy with the staff and hostel as a whole. The staff was incredibly helpful as I had an issue with a police report filing and the front staff went above and beyond helping me out. A super thank you to making a difficult situation and experience easier and more relaxing due to your help and support.

The location and pool/ garden were great, but the room a bit run down..

Hi! Thank you so much for your comments! We are working to make the rooms even better, hope to see you soon again!

The kitchen can feel dirty at times. Not very modern furnishings but very functional and relaxed hostel.

usefull and kind people are working in the hostels. the place is nice and offer a lot of area to socialize. supermarket and cash point at 5 minutes walking, more amenities at 10 minutes distance on foot! Definitly raccomended. Dorms are dorms: is an hostel not a 5 stars hotel, so no way to complain about it!

Cockaroaches. Not that clean. Not a party hostel.

I was not happy. I found the staff unfriendly (only exception: the girl who books the tours). The internet hardly ever worked!!! The water was cold 50% of the time. The pool wasnt very clean. Our dorms were located in the basement, they were dark and crowded and cold. The bathrooms could have been cleaned more often. Its located pretty far out so you have to pay a lot for a taxi or walk 20-30 minutes. I didnt feel so safe in the area. This was not a one time experience. I was there twice.

It is really great place to stay. The rooms are spacious plus the beds are comfortable. Obviously the garden and the swimming pool make it special. The location could be better but well there are no perfect places. The staff working there is very helpful and friendly. For the money it is almost perfect place.

Thank you so much for your comments! Hope to see you soon again!

This was a great hostel to stay at. It has a cool pool and a nice open kitchen area that was a fun area to hangout and play drinking games with other backpackers. The staff keeps it clean and are helpful, the tourist information is a big plus and very helpful. I will be staying there again before I leave Costa rica

Very bad resp. nearly no equipment in the kitchen - so that it was hard to get a bowl or a glas. However, staff was always in a good mood, helpful and friendly.

Hi Sara! Thank you so much for your comments! We are always bringing new items to the kitchen, the problem is that people steal them often. Yesterday, for example, we bought a brand new oven and lots of pans and other items. Hope to see you soon!