Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Super friendly, knowledgable, and chill staff. Clean pool, great happy hour drinks.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Located within 10 minutes walk to city centre. Shared bathroom & toilets were cleaned regularly throughout the day and private room was clean and of a good size. Although a train passes very close by it did not interrupt sleeping.

Very clean and comfortable Backpackers hostel, Steve at the reception desk he's super helpfull, nice outdoor kitchen and bar, the best part is that big garden with hammocks and loungers perfect for a tan and chat with fellow travellers ;)) I'll be back !!!

• 16th Jun 2014

Common areas are outstanding. The staff did their jobs well.

Stopped here for a night after landing in San Jose. Cheap, safe, nice staff. There is a train or just an a-hole with a super loud horn that blasts constantly, but what do you expect from downtown SJ!?

Had a great stay and a good niht out, it´s really close to some discos but still quiet at night. Doorm 7 ist beautiful and really big so 10 out of 1o :)

We our first night at the Costa Rica Backpackers Hostel. My husband and I booked a private double room. The room was as basic as you can get. The setting was comfortable with a pool and nice landscaping. Good location if you want to check out San Jose. The best part about this Hostel was Justin. He helped up plan our whole 16 day trip in Costa Rica. The beaches & towns he sent us to were just what we were looking for. He recommended some wonderful places to stay also. Huge thanks to Justin!

• 24th Apr 2014

Bed bugs. Earlier in the month when I came at the airport the shuttle dude made me take a taxi that cost $30.

We brought someone that specializes in plagues to check what was wrong with the room we were having problems with.Turns out that the things in the room were not bed bugs but "chinchas".These things are originally from the mountains but they stick into people´s clothing or bags.Someone brought those here. We already fumigate and we can assure you that those annoying bugs are no longer in our property.We are very sorry for all the trouble this might have caused you.We offer shuttles for $24

Great stop over hostel. Great place in city

Thank you! We hope to see you again! Pura vida!

I loved my time at Costa Rica Backpackers! I met a bunch of really awesome people, ate some super tasty food, and slept great every night.The room was only $12/night and the location is great. Its not located in the heart of downtown San Jose, so its feels a little more relaxed and safer at night. Lots of hammocks/loungers around the pool so you can chill out and take a nap during the day. I also thought the staff was great! They are friendly & will do whatever they can to help fix any problems.

Hello! Thank you so much for your comments. Hope to see you again! Pura vida!

This is a nice place to relax for a day or two. I did have problems with bed bugs. When I reported the bed bugs I was given new linen and moved to a new dorm.

We brought someone that specializes in plagues to check what was wrong with the single room we were having problems with. Turns out that the things in the room were not bed bugs but "chinchas". These things are originally from the mountains but they stick into people´s clothing or bags. Someone brought those here. We already fumigate and we can assure you that those annoying bugs are no longer in our property. We are very sorry for all the trouble this might have caused you. Pura vida!

The main reason to stay at this hostel is for the beautiful pool/yard/common area. As others mentioned, there are some serious noise issues with staying here - namely the obnoxious train, which literally passes by every 10 minute and honks its horn. Now, obviously this is no fault of the hostel, but it is extremely annoying at night. I don't think the train stopped running until around 10pm and it started again around 5am, which is how I woke up.

Hello ! The train passes by at 5 a.m., 12 noon, 5 p.m. 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. For next month the Government will start putting lights and everything else (as it should be) so they won't honk its horn again. We have been complaining about it and they finally listened! Thank you for the feedback, it´s really important for us!

Plase to dry loundry would be nice. Nice place, cold water in swiming pool :)

Thank you . We have laundry service here that includes drying, We are glad you like the hostel! Hope to see you here again!

The bathroom was dirty and the shower was horrible (I stayed in other hostels during this trip to Costa Rica and had good showers, so it's not "the way it is in Costa Rica" as explained by a sign in the bathroom). My room smelled weird and looked dirty too. I was surprised with such a good review for this hostel in this website. For me it was just ok, but I would definetly try to find a better place to stay on my next time in San José.

Thank you for your comments . What we explain in the showers is that in Costa Rica the showers work different, the more you open the colder it gets. We are sorry to read this because we have 5 cleaning ladies 24/7, even at night. We make rounds at mornings, afternoons and night to check hot showers and to make sure that everything is clean.

Love the pool and the yard. Good for overnight transit. Good location, walking distance to downtown.

Only stayed one night and had to leave early so didn't get to see much. I remember the bathrooms were not that great though. Not well looked after. The beds were old but clean enough. There seemed to be a good atmosphere though that might depend on who is staying. Not amazing but not awful either. There is probably better out there for the price

Don't leave beer in fridge. It will be gone in 5 minutes. Hostel is very dirty.

• 12th Feb 2014

The beds were comfy and the property was well kept. They arranged a shuttle for me from the airport which was nice but there was a misunderstanding about price. WhenIi asked Eric at the front desk he instantly bece very rude and aggresive. I at one point asked him to calm down but even when my friend tried to intervene he was extremely rude to her. He also did not want to give me back my key deposit even though i hada receipt. I would never suggest this hostel and i certainly wouldnt stay again

There were bed bugs in my bed so i had a terrible night. That was a shame, because the public areas were very nice. Great service from the tourist information guy as well. But make sure you clean the dorms and get rid of those bugs!

It would have been helpful to have to more than one plug in outlet in dorm rooms. Otherwise atmosphere good.