Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Great vibes, though the crowds changed everynight it was quite pleasant and I stayed an extra night. Great kitchen area too. Don't plan to swim in the pool though, it is cold, refreshing for a quick dunk though.

Had a disagreement about airport pick up (friend didn't see his name on the sign and had to pay anyways). Other than that, good stay.

For such a big hostel I expected more than 3 bathrooms and 2 showers. Also, the only time i have had a problem with people in the room the staff didn't care, the other 4 people had the same problem and were treated bad also. I was never given info about the hostel besides where my room was. I was super excited to stay here and was so disappointed.

Had an unreal time here!

• 4th Mar 2015

Solid place to crash in San Jose. Relatively decent prices on beer and food in the bar. The staff was very nice.

This is a great place to rest a for a night or two. It has a pool which is great and refreshing. The rooms are small but adequate. However the budget dorms can get noisey. Also, most of the staff (not all) are incredibly rude. You work at a hostel, and in a place like San Jose where everyone is in transit and tired and just needs help, you should learn to be a heck of a lot nicer. Wouldn't stay here again just because of the staff.

Great atmosphere with great staff. Definitely the hostel I would recommend in San Jose. Only downside is the noise from the train and music comes on at 9am - Too early to be hearing Nirvana lol.

• 24th Feb 2015

Outside of the grit of the main part of San Jose but a little bit of a hike to get to from any bus terminal and a taxi away from the airport. Very pleasant grounds though and a very pleasant stay. Good place to meet fellow travelers.

Pretty clean hostel other than the cockroaches in the lockers. Beds are pretty decent. Room gets pretty cold so no need for AC. Rooms are pretty loud in the morning. The pool and restaurant are nice and set up a good atmosphere to meet people.

We left a night early because they came and wanted to exterminate our room while we were sleeping. We were not to comfortable with that. They could use some improvement in the restroom/shower area. Price was good. There was quite a bit of noise at night just because it was right down town. They would not refund our deposit and they probably should have under the circumstances.

The bed was comfortable but my room was right by the main hang out area so if you wanted to rest early the music was quite loud and the voices of those who stayed up real late carried over. Also, in the early morning you can hear honking and trains passing by in the city. Otherwise, the grounds were nice and provided nice tropical feel while still in the city.

Great sociable hostel

Thank you for comments!

Nice hostel and cool pool bar area. A shame that the rooms weren't very nice and showers etc not very clean also had cold showers. The guy on reception was helpful but seemed under staffed! Was ok for 1 night though.

Hello! Thank you so much for your comments, they push us to be better! We have cleaning staff all day 24/7 and the rooms go from privates to the cheapest dorms. They are basic but clean and organized.

Great location and great space. A larger hostel that is great for meeting people. .The kitchen could definitely use an upgrade but otherwise, the space was fantastic and the free coffee good. There was also an issue with the wifi the duration of our stay but not all that important given the fact that we spent a lot of time away.

Hello! Thank you so much for your comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. There were some problems with the company that provides Internet during those dates because they were making changes on their network system.

Spent 4 nights here, not much to do in San Jose as such, the place felt like a terminal for travelers. Had a fun last night though met some good people. Good restaurant. (Very quiet, good food, nice lady)

pretty old place and therefore in the according condition. serves the purpose though. wifi wasn't working while we were there.

The common areas were great but some people didn't respect the 10 PM quiet hours and it didn't seem like they were enforced. Wasn't able to sleep very well (I was in the 8 female dorm) due to inconsiderate roommates and staff were noisy in the early hours of the morning. Sound carries very far in the hostel. Bathrooms were also not the best in terms of cleanliness but I did see that staff check in on them several times a day, so it was probably due to messy guests.

• 7th Jan 2015

Was a nice place. Will definitely be using it in the future

• 5th Jan 2015

I heard really good things about this hostel, but unfortunately i'll never know as I arrived in San Jose and was picked up by the hostel as arranged, only to be told that the hostel had overbooked and I couldn't actually stay there. Got taken to another hostel which was ok but definitely not worth the same money as this place looks like it would have been in terms of facilities. Exact same thing happened to 6 other people i spoke to. Need to sort out there booking system!!

I was only able to stay in Costa Rica Backpackers for a single night due to some unfortunate incidents prior to coming to San Jose, and I was incredibly happy with the staff and hostel as a whole. The staff was incredibly helpful as I had an issue with a police report filing and the front staff went above and beyond helping me out. A super thank you to making a difficult situation and experience easier and more relaxing due to your help and support.