Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Great time at the Costa rica Backpackers

• 20th Aug 2015

It's a okay place to stay a night or two. It's not perfect but also not horrible. I think that the taxi transfer of 26USD is very high for a 20minute drive. The weather wasn't that sunny so I didn't try the pool ;)

Thank you for your feedback. The airport shuttle costs $26 and it´s the cheapest one, you can also take the bus for lees than $1 (but it takes about an hour)

To noisy at night, the walls are like curtains and that f--- train. Very helpfull stuff specially the guy that works daytime at the reception, unfortunally we did't got his name, he help us a lot with information about where we where going next. He recommended us Tortuguero and it was worth it.

Dear guest, Thank you for your staff comments, the staff is always looking for ways to help our customers. Hope you had a blast in Tortuguero, its amazing!

BUYER BEWARE** Reserved a room 6 weeks in advance for myself and two others. Arrived in San Jose at 9pm and arrived at the hostel for them to tell us "the hostel is booked we don't have a room for you." When I said I'd paid a deposit and reserved weeks ago they said "sorry, it's our busy season." They did arrange for us to stay somewhere else that was nothing like Costa Rica backpackers and had no amenities at all. DONT BOOK THIS UNLESS DOWN SEASON.

• 29th Mar 2015

Hello Shaunna! We are very sorry about that. The 29/3 a group of more that 60 people had an emergency and they all had to stay in the hostel for one more no reserved night. We have tried to accomodate everybody in the hostel but unfortunately we missed few beds. For the people we couldn t stay with us we have sent them to more expensive places paying you the cost of transportation and the difference of the cost of the room. Remember that we are the spot that offer the more amenities in CR.

The pool area and the rooms were nice and cleanly. However, the staff was not very helpful. The restaurant would take extremely long for anyone to come and help you. Some of the front desk staff didn't seem to know/understand very much English which made it hard for them to properly answer questions. Lastly, we were completely ripped off by the shuttle situation. The shuttle driver made us take a taxi and charged us extra for it, but then we were not reimbursed for it. Very unprofessional.

Great vibes, though the crowds changed everynight it was quite pleasant and I stayed an extra night. Great kitchen area too. Don't plan to swim in the pool though, it is cold, refreshing for a quick dunk though.

Had a disagreement about airport pick up (friend didn't see his name on the sign and had to pay anyways). Other than that, good stay.

The staff seemed to want my money rather than assist me in enjoying my stay in Costa Rica. They ordered over charged taxis.

We offer you free call to taxis companies. W e don t work with any of them. YOU have to be awared of the taxi meters (la maria) and don t get overcharged by the driver. We are an hostel, we are not a taxi company.

For such a big hostel I expected more than 3 bathrooms and 2 showers. Also, the only time i have had a problem with people in the room the staff didn't care, the other 4 people had the same problem and were treated bad also. I was never given info about the hostel besides where my room was. I was super excited to stay here and was so disappointed.

Had an unreal time here!

• 4th Mar 2015

Solid place to crash in San Jose. Relatively decent prices on beer and food in the bar. The staff was very nice.

Thank you so much for your comments!