Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Great stop over hostel. Great place in city

I loved my time at Costa Rica Backpackers! I met a bunch of really awesome people, ate some super tasty food, and slept great every night.The room was only $12/night and the location is great. Its not located in the heart of downtown San Jose, so its feels a little more relaxed and safer at night. Lots of hammocks/loungers around the pool so you can chill out and take a nap during the day. I also thought the staff was great! They are friendly & will do whatever they can to help fix any problems.

This is a nice place to relax for a day or two. I did have problems with bed bugs. When I reported the bed bugs I was given new linen and moved to a new dorm.

• 28th Mar 2014

The main reason to stay at this hostel is for the beautiful pool/yard/common area. As others mentioned, there are some serious noise issues with staying here - namely the obnoxious train, which literally passes by every 10 minute and honks its horn. Now, obviously this is no fault of the hostel, but it is extremely annoying at night. I don't think the train stopped running until around 10pm and it started again around 5am, which is how I woke up.

Hello ! The train passes by at 5 a.m., 12 noon, 5 p.m. 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. For next month the Government will start putting lights and everything else (as it should be) so they won't honk its horn again. We have been complaining about it and they finally listened! Thank you for the feedback, it´s really important for us!

Plase to dry loundry would be nice. Nice place, cold water in swiming pool :)

Thank you . We have laundry service here that includes drying, We are glad you like the hostel! Hope to see you here again!

The bathroom was dirty and the shower was horrible (I stayed in other hostels during this trip to Costa Rica and had good showers, so it's not "the way it is in Costa Rica" as explained by a sign in the bathroom). My room smelled weird and looked dirty too. I was surprised with such a good review for this hostel in this website. For me it was just ok, but I would definetly try to find a better place to stay on my next time in San José.

Thank you for your comments . What we explain in the showers is that in Costa Rica the showers work different, the more you open the colder it gets. We are sorry to read this because we have 5 cleaning ladies 24/7, even at night. We make rounds at mornings, afternoons and night to check hot showers and to make sure that everything is clean.

Love the pool and the yard. Good for overnight transit. Good location, walking distance to downtown.

Don't leave beer in fridge. It will be gone in 5 minutes. Hostel is very dirty.

• 12th Feb 2014

The beds were comfy and the property was well kept. They arranged a shuttle for me from the airport which was nice but there was a misunderstanding about price. WhenIi asked Eric at the front desk he instantly bece very rude and aggresive. I at one point asked him to calm down but even when my friend tried to intervene he was extremely rude to her. He also did not want to give me back my key deposit even though i hada receipt. I would never suggest this hostel and i certainly wouldnt stay again

There were bed bugs in my bed so i had a terrible night. That was a shame, because the public areas were very nice. Great service from the tourist information guy as well. But make sure you clean the dorms and get rid of those bugs!

It would have been helpful to have to more than one plug in outlet in dorm rooms. Otherwise atmosphere good.

The staff was very friendly and genuine in their personal suggestions for us out-of-towners! The location of the hostel was decent; not a long walk to city center and not a terrible amount of noise due to traffic. My bunk definitely had lots of crumbs (perhaps galletas...) on it when I arrived. I ended up abandoning that bunk and selecting an unused one without the leftovers. Warning: You won't sleep in at this hostel... everything echoes due to the tile floors throughout the facility.

A good place to stay in San Jose, chill for a day . Good food. Friendly environment.

Thank you for you comments Grey, we hope you enjoyed your visit to Costa Rica!

The staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed here b/c I was traveling alone and hoping to meet new people. I was in a girls 4 bedded room, but I was the only person in there. So while it was nice having my own room for such a cheap price, it was more challenging to meet others. It was pretty quiet the 2 nights I stayed there. And honestly, the bathrooms were gross, especially the ones in the "back" building. I would recommend using the ones in the front building, though they are co-ed.

Hola ! As you know our staff is working to help you so you just have to ask : If you want to be in a dorm with more people, ask the receptionist. Same if something is not enough clean for you, just ask, sometimes people don t leave the bathroom as they ve found it, remember our cleaning staff is working 24/7. Thank you.

I was in a girls dorm with a connecting girls bathroom however the staff told some guys they could also use it (via another door) even though there is no privacy in the showers (only curtains, no doors). I though this was bad since there are plenty of other bathrooms. The curtains in our room were too small for the window, so it was very light. The train horn is SO annoying. Not a fault of the hostel, but it really does get to you. Apart from these things, it was fine.

Hello, I am sorry for the trouble the bathroom situation may have caused you... We have talked to the receptionists because the bathrooms are separate in males and females, so things like those won't happen again. The train runs 3 times a day, the last one is at 10 p.m. They are changing the horn for lights and other systems (as should be) so this will be over soon. Thank you for your feedback, it help us to improve! Pura vida!

Good hostel, but a bit far from the city center; and located close to a set of train tracks which means you can hear the whistle during parts of the night (the last train seems to finish ~9-10PM, so its not TOO bad). Staff are biligical, and excellent all around. Lockers (at least in my dorm) were small, and I struggled to fit a normal sized laptop case in. On the plus side, great bar, nice pool, and great atomsphere. Would recommend for anyone who wants to stay at a high-end hostel.

Hello ! Thank you very much! We are very glad you enjoyed your time here! The train passes 3 times a day and you are right, the last time is at 10 pm Thank you for your comments! Pura vida!

The staff is very attentive to you needs and very helpful in giving directions to different places to go shopping. This is the second time that I stayed there and I would recommend this place to my friends. As a matter of fact, I had friends there last week and they said they would rather be here than in their hostel. It is in a good location and I seen other hostels and this is by far the best one that I have come across.