Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Don't leave beer in fridge. It will be gone in 5 minutes. Hostel is very dirty.

• 12th Feb 2014

The beds were comfy and the property was well kept. They arranged a shuttle for me from the airport which was nice but there was a misunderstanding about price. WhenIi asked Eric at the front desk he instantly bece very rude and aggresive. I at one point asked him to calm down but even when my friend tried to intervene he was extremely rude to her. He also did not want to give me back my key deposit even though i hada receipt. I would never suggest this hostel and i certainly wouldnt stay again

There were bed bugs in my bed so i had a terrible night. That was a shame, because the public areas were very nice. Great service from the tourist information guy as well. But make sure you clean the dorms and get rid of those bugs!

It would have been helpful to have to more than one plug in outlet in dorm rooms. Otherwise atmosphere good.

The staff was very friendly and genuine in their personal suggestions for us out-of-towners! The location of the hostel was decent; not a long walk to city center and not a terrible amount of noise due to traffic. My bunk definitely had lots of crumbs (perhaps galletas...) on it when I arrived. I ended up abandoning that bunk and selecting an unused one without the leftovers. Warning: You won't sleep in at this hostel... everything echoes due to the tile floors throughout the facility.

A good place to stay in San Jose, chill for a day . Good food. Friendly environment.

Thank you for you comments Grey, we hope you enjoyed your visit to Costa Rica!

The staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed here b/c I was traveling alone and hoping to meet new people. I was in a girls 4 bedded room, but I was the only person in there. So while it was nice having my own room for such a cheap price, it was more challenging to meet others. It was pretty quiet the 2 nights I stayed there. And honestly, the bathrooms were gross, especially the ones in the "back" building. I would recommend using the ones in the front building, though they are co-ed.

Hola ! As you know our staff is working to help you so you just have to ask : If you want to be in a dorm with more people, ask the receptionist. Same if something is not enough clean for you, just ask, sometimes people don t leave the bathroom as they ve found it, remember our cleaning staff is working 24/7. Thank you.

I was in a girls dorm with a connecting girls bathroom however the staff told some guys they could also use it (via another door) even though there is no privacy in the showers (only curtains, no doors). I though this was bad since there are plenty of other bathrooms. The curtains in our room were too small for the window, so it was very light. The train horn is SO annoying. Not a fault of the hostel, but it really does get to you. Apart from these things, it was fine.

Hello, I am sorry for the trouble the bathroom situation may have caused you... We have talked to the receptionists because the bathrooms are separate in males and females, so things like those won't happen again. The train runs 3 times a day, the last one is at 10 p.m. They are changing the horn for lights and other systems (as should be) so this will be over soon. Thank you for your feedback, it help us to improve! Pura vida!

Good hostel, but a bit far from the city center; and located close to a set of train tracks which means you can hear the whistle during parts of the night (the last train seems to finish ~9-10PM, so its not TOO bad). Staff are biligical, and excellent all around. Lockers (at least in my dorm) were small, and I struggled to fit a normal sized laptop case in. On the plus side, great bar, nice pool, and great atomsphere. Would recommend for anyone who wants to stay at a high-end hostel.

Hello ! Thank you very much! We are very glad you enjoyed your time here! The train passes 3 times a day and you are right, the last time is at 10 pm Thank you for your comments! Pura vida!

The staff is very attentive to you needs and very helpful in giving directions to different places to go shopping. This is the second time that I stayed there and I would recommend this place to my friends. As a matter of fact, I had friends there last week and they said they would rather be here than in their hostel. It is in a good location and I seen other hostels and this is by far the best one that I have come across.

I would recommend a stay here. The kitchen was fully equipped, nice pool area and clean, functional rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. The onyx thing I didn't like was the loud music until the night.

We loved this place. The swimming pool and the inside garden in the center of San Jose made such a difference in our experience with the city!

I really enjoyed staying at Backpackers and for the price, it is definitely a great value. The bed was comfortable and the place/outdoor facilities were awesome!

• 21st Sep 2013

Good hostel with very good common areas, nice pool and bar. We stayed in a private double which was like a cell! Very dark with no external window. Staff were good and they have an on site tourist office providing free advice on travelling all around Costa Rica. The area was not the best for food or bars and didnt feel the safest however in San Jose you won't really want to go out at night anyway!

Overall, this was a really nice hostel to stay in with very helpful staff although the location was a little out of the way. I would definitely recommend staying here!

Not bad, but not good either. A bit dirty. Kind of over priced - like a lot of things in Costa Rica though. Staff were very helpful however.

I stayed here a few times in the off season. They had a great and very helpful staff, who helped with future traveling/booking/taxi/etc. Food at the restaurant was delicious and not too expensive. Walk up bar was open until midnight every night, with great happy hour prices. The kitchen has everything you would need for cooking/food prep and the supermarket is only about 5 blocks away. There are bars and dance clubs within walking distance, as well as corner markers. Great place!

• 23rd Aug 2013

Cons: A concern that they didn't have my booking on arrival but it could have been the fault of this website and luckily they still had space. It was also pretty noisy during the night with trains, staff and other guests all very audible. Pros: The room was excellent for the price, very clean and presentable. The facilities are everything you could want with free internet and pool a real bonus. Very sociable so good place to meet people. Reception staff were very helpful.

More toilets would have been good. Breakfast options a little expensive. Otherwise fairly helpful staff and pretty chilled out place.

Cosy atmosphere. But our room had its window in the hall so it was dark and loud. No safe. I wouldn't come back because the train passed near the hostel and made such an annoying noise that you coudn't enjoy the pool.