Costa Rica Backpackers Reviews

Avenida 6, calle 21/23, San Jose, Costa Rica

Good hostel with very good common areas, nice pool and bar. We stayed in a private double which was like a cell! Very dark with no external window. Staff were good and they have an on site tourist office providing free advice on travelling all around Costa Rica. The area was not the best for food or bars and didnt feel the safest however in San Jose you won't really want to go out at night anyway!

Overall, this was a really nice hostel to stay in with very helpful staff although the location was a little out of the way. I would definitely recommend staying here!

Not bad, but not good either. A bit dirty. Kind of over priced - like a lot of things in Costa Rica though. Staff were very helpful however.

I stayed here a few times in the off season. They had a great and very helpful staff, who helped with future traveling/booking/taxi/etc. Food at the restaurant was delicious and not too expensive. Walk up bar was open until midnight every night, with great happy hour prices. The kitchen has everything you would need for cooking/food prep and the supermarket is only about 5 blocks away. There are bars and dance clubs within walking distance, as well as corner markers. Great place!

• 23rd Aug 2013

Cons: A concern that they didn't have my booking on arrival but it could have been the fault of this website and luckily they still had space. It was also pretty noisy during the night with trains, staff and other guests all very audible. Pros: The room was excellent for the price, very clean and presentable. The facilities are everything you could want with free internet and pool a real bonus. Very sociable so good place to meet people. Reception staff were very helpful.

• 22nd Aug 2013

More toilets would have been good. Breakfast options a little expensive. Otherwise fairly helpful staff and pretty chilled out place.

Cosy atmosphere. But our room had its window in the hall so it was dark and loud. No safe. I wouldn't come back because the train passed near the hostel and made such an annoying noise that you coudn't enjoy the pool.

Staff is really helpfull and friendly. Basic rooms, comfortable beds. The train that passes trough can be annoying so be sure to take some earpluggs. Great location, walking distance of the city center. Good atmosphere and the swimming pool is ofcourse a plus!

Location can't be beat. Close to all attractions in San Jose. Atmosphere was good, loved the pub crawl and easy to meet other people.

• 10th Aug 2013

We are very glad you liked it! Hope you visit Costa Rica again!

During our stay, the water mostly didn't function in the first half of the hostel, meaning that most people had to share only one or two workable showers. Those that were available were often dirty given their excessive use. We also booked a "4 Bed Male Dorm" and were put in an 8 bed. When I asked them about this, their response was that the 4 bed dorm doesn't exist. I was very unimpressed.

Half million people had no water in San José from august 9th until august 11th, because AyA (Nacional Water Company) were fixing and cleaning the Dam. We placed signs all over the hostel, letting our guests know the situation. We are one of the few hostels and hotels that have extra water tanks and 24 hours cleaning service so our bathrooms are always clean. We apologize about the dorm, because we had a new receptionist that is no longer working with us because of situations like those.

The location and price were fine but this is a party hostel and the night staff have no control over the guests. A group of guys were banging on dorms and screaming to a guitar well into the night and one was even urinating on the floors - night staff just told them to quiet down (4 times). Staff also got people's airport transfers wrong and 2 girls weren't able to leave until 20 minutes before their flight left because the receptionist had booked their shuttle for the wrong airport.

Hello, Those guys were a different situation.We call the police to take them away because they were making too much noise and making troubles.Police took them and we cleaned the things they did. We did took control over the situation, moved the guests from their room and fixed everything.Those are things that happen when people is on vacation, we are not a party hostel. We had a new receptionist and he was making big mistakes but we fixed them all and they ended up happy with the service.

I liked this hostel very much! However, I don't think we should need to keep the receipt in order to have our key deposit returned. If all guests are charged the fee then all should get their money back once the key is returned.

Very nice crowd! Staff super friendly and helpfull. A bit noisy at night because of the train station close, but the staff were making people cut the sound at night. Supermarket to buy food and banks around. Not exactly in the center if you dont mind walking a bit its perfect. Bus schedule accurate in the lobby. i would recommended it anytime!

Cancelled

I had organized an airport pickup, and that somehow fell through. Besides that, I found my stay comfortable. I ended up leaving a day early, and they gave me a voucher for a night if I return to San Jose. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking utensils, and it was kept very clean. The other guests were the best part of this hostel, and the relaxed atmosphere really facilitated getting to know other people.

Overall, this hostel was good. However, the staff did seem a bit put off by questions we had and some things (like a yogurt parfait) that they advertised, we unavailable. There is not much nearby, and is relatively far from the city center, but it was fine for our 1 night stay before flying home the next day.

The hostel is located 100mts from the most animated San Jose street (bars, restaurants, cine, etc...), 200 mts from National museum, 5 minutes walk to downtown, supermarkets, 10 minutes to go to the biggest mall of the city. We also provide free maps, so it seems you have not been informed. The "yogurth parfait", i really don t know what you are talking about, we have never advertised this product (???). We are glad that you have appreciated your stay with us. See you soon.

This hostel was unclean The staff were very nice however

I very much enjoyed my stay at Backpackers in San Jose. It felt like my home base while in Costa Rica. I would certainly recommend this hostel over any other to a fellow backpacker on a budget.

• 21st May 2013

I have stayed at this hostel for one night. I think it is a good starting point when you come to Costa Rica. I'd recommend it.

this was a really fun hostel to stay at my first night in costa rica. a little out of the way of the rest of the city, but nice beds, clean rooms, a VERY helpful and friendly staff, and pretty good food at the restaurant (though overpriced).