Cottage Reviews

Kadijksplein 16, Amsterdam, Netherlands

No Rating

The only reason that I rated the staf "average" rather than "good" was that the appartment was still being cleaned after our check-in time of 11am (we were asked to come back at 12.30) which was slightly inconvinient. Otherwise we were completely happy with the service we received.

Too hot in the attic rooms. We couldn't sleep for the 3 nights we were there. The space is really just a dodgy ceiling crawl space with 4 beds squashed into it.

Brilliant in every way.

We arranged through hostelworld to arrive at the property at 12 noon. However there was no-one there to meet us, and there was no 24 hour reception as advertised in hostelworld. The telephone number given in the advert was an answer phone for the agency "going amsterdam" and not for the landlord of the property. We waited for 45 minutes at the property and called the telephone number given twice before deciding to try and book in elsewhere for the weekend because we were effectively stranded with no-where to stay. We were 2 minutes away from booking a hotel room when we got a call asking if we were still intending to stay at the cottage. This mix-up was increadibly stressful and very upsetting.

Dear Hostel World, I am the travel advisor for my coworkers in Germany. I am training another individual to take over my position so I took her and a few other friends on a tour using your web sight as a guide for accommodations. When my friends and I arrived at the cottage I was greeted outside by two gentlemen from Argentina claming to be in charge of the accommodations, who knew all our website information. They informed us the cottage had no heat or hot water so we had to be relocated. The replacement apartment was dirty, small, unaccommodating, and not as nice as described on the web site for the initial booking. The gentlemen were intoxicated, rude, and threatened us that if we don't take the apartment then we would be screwed and this was the only best option. I asked him for his credentials and he threaten me with the exact remarks, "If you don't trust me then I have your credit card information and I can charge you thousands of dollars for this apartment." I felt option less so I asked my friends if they were okay with the apartment because it was very late, we were very hungry, tired, and we were getting frustrated with the gentlemen for his drunken rudeness. He offered us a discount of 25% on the cost and said he will come back tomorrow with his credentials, but he never showed up for the last two days. On Saturday, I waited with my friends till 1300 for this gentleman and we lost half of the only day we had to enjoy Amsterdam. We were lost and very confused and we had to make our train early Sunday morning, I tried to wait for the gentlemen till the last minute but he never showed, so we left the keys to the apartment in the apartment when we left hoping he or whomever would come back since we didn't know for sure who we were dealing with. I am very confused about your business with these people and I hope no one I know has to deal with the problems I experience there. I would not recommend this web site to anyone for further travel. I'm sorry but I truly felt like I was screwed in the long run and I fear my credit will be in jeopardy if I don't find a solution to this problem. Sincerely, Samuel Guzman

• 17th Oct 2004
  • Puerto Rico

This is a great inexpensive alternative for people who want to be independent. The cottage is simple but gives you everything you and your friends need. It is centrally located. Great if you have a car or bike. We walked everywhere and it was no problem. We brought our own drinks and food. We enjoyed cooking together. All of the rooms are bigger than you´d expect. There is a small TV with cable. If you´re expecting luxury it´s not for you. I you´re expecting around the clock service it´s not for you. But if you´re looking for independence, your peace and quiet, an inexpensive, clean, centrally located place to stay, with everything you need and a nice land lord, you won´t be disappointed.

This quaint little place was perfect for me and my friends. You are given a key to come and go as you would like and it is in walking distance from the train station. If I ever go back I am definitely staying there again.

View all Amsterdam Apartments