Counter Culture Party Hostel Reviews

Xicotencatl 1835, Veracruz, Mexico

Cool hostel, maybe a little bit battered in places but if you are coming to a party hostel doesnt matter that much.

I was received by a very friendly guy at he hostel.Sadly the hostel was quiet empty (just three other people) because there was no season. In my opinion the hostel was ok but could be much more cleaned up an the shower was just with cold water. So the staff is an advantage but the cleanliness a demerit.

• 4th Jul 2014

Hi there, the high season starts in two weeks so we are sorry about that. We do have hot water but when it is 34 degrees we turn it down so people can have ice cold showers to cool down. All you had to do was ask and we could have turned it up.

Counter Culture is the perfect place for travellers and party people. The international staff (American, European and Mexican) is great and always available to make you feel good here. You will not be lost in translation! I really appreciated the charm and atmosphere of this old house. It is safe and clean, high speed Internet works very well, and breakfast cooked by the staff is included. Well located, closed to the aquarium, the port and the old town, you can access everywhere from this place.

• 18th Jun 2014

Right by the beach- and any bus to take u anywhere u want to go. Most things to see are in walking distance- old town, spanish fort, museums. Check out the less touristic things like IVEC, a very cool and big music school/event hall with local art throughout. The hostel crew is super duper and knows a lot about what's happening in Veracruz, all of Mexico and other countries- also I always encounter interesting awesome nomad souls here!

Was quiet while I was there but the three staff came with me out to lunch and to the beach. Felt homey. Booked one night ended up staying 4 nights to chill on the beach and speak to English speakers.

When I first arrived at the hostel the staff were super friendly and welcoming. The rooms were clean, the bed comfortable, and a reasonably sized locker was provided for any valuables. The outside area was perfect for relaxing and its location in the city means the beach was no more than a 3 minute walk. The staff brought those of us who wanted to the local pubs and clubs and we had great night. Whatever your reason for coming Veracruz be sure to stay at Counter Culture Party Hostel!

Hostel staff were great, very welcoming & friendly. Hostel needs extra facilities - only indoor communal seating areas are a few sofas in the office and the chairs in the kitchen. More seating outside would be a bonus, a knackered old sofa and some chairs made with bits of board tied to them aren't really sufficient. More bathroom facilities essential - 3 shower-rooms and one extra toilet definitely NOT enough! Pricing of rooms is inconsistent, I paid more than other guests by booking online.

Hi Karen and thanks for your feedback. During peak times such as carnival and semana santa when you stayed, the hostel does get strained for bathrooms. We have just modified one of the dorms into an extra social area 'the chill room' - a photo is on the website with a shisha in the middle. As for pricing, it is always cheaper to book directly with the hostel - when you walk in you should always ask for a 12.5% discount off the price - that is what we pay in commission to booking sites!

I was bit surprised by this hostel. First I have to say the staff was amazing, especially Kadi, she made you quite welcome. The stay was quiet, but I was surprised by the luck of bathrooms. For so many room, there were only 3 bathrooms with shower and toilet, very small kitchen. If the hostel is full, there is queue and you will fight for toilet seat. It´s about 20 minutes walk from the center - it´s nice if you walk by the sea. There are not many hostels in Veracruz.

The location is so close to the aquarium and beach within five minutes on foot.The hostel offers the locker.It's easy to access the wifi even in my room and take a shower with hot water.Their workers,John and Kadi, are very friendly,easy-going and kind to offer any help.The staff,Kadi,is a good cook to prepare healthy but delicious food for dinner, and she is so nice to share what she knows and always cares about the customers' need.Her smiles just like the sunny day in Veracruz.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Taiwan

A very good hostel to stay. You can make friends as soon as you get there like I did. I really liked the atmosphere. It says a party hostel but it was more like a super-friendly hostel to me. I personally think they need more bathrooms or toilets, but maybe it is only the carnival season that the place gets packed with people...

It's a great hostel good location and friendly staff Just avoid the cheapest tent to sleep unless you have a good mosquito repelent.

Adam, the owner, was dope. He treated us all way cool. It was definitely a party hostile and they hooked it up with free welcome shots. Good vibes all day long. I would recommend it to anybody. I don't know why it shows I gave an 89. I'd say more like a 95. There was just a nasty shower curtain is all. Other than that a great place to stay.

• 27th Feb 2014

Welcoming staff, great overall atmosphere!

• 25th Feb 2014

So Counter culture party hostel. Is a party hostel but with a warm welcome. It is an old building and the shower and bathroom is not the best. Cleanliness is oke it is hard to clean a old building very good. It is a good place to stay if you want a good party with great staff on a good location. Good security with cameras in all the commonareas. They provide a meal every evening for a good price. I would recome this place for people who like to party and not have big expectations.