Counter Culture Party Hostel Reviews

Xicotencatl 1835, Veracruz, Mexico

Bathrooms in bad shape. They charge enough to provide at least decent coffe and no instant. The staff barely exist, and they offer better deals to some guests, lowering the rates of the rooms and the ones who booked ionline dont get that, so i ended up paying much more than the rest, which was unfair. The hostel doesnt help for a cool atmosphere but they are like ghost, its a completely anarchy hostel, wich ends up helping to create social vibe and nice parties.

Hi the bathrooms have been refurbished and we now do a nightly clean as well. Staff from last summer are back so everybody knows what they are doing! Yes if you walk in you get a 10% discount - Thats why some pay less than others.

Great staff and party atmosphere! Wish that there were more bathrooms and it was a little bit more clean....

• 14th Feb 2015

Hostel can be so much better with modern renovation or even a basic good cleaning. I was here during carnival nothing special the city is not good. Not that much to do or see honestly. Hostel is quite empty unless its a holiday I was there only for days until everyone came for one day which was fun but after it was time to go really boring. The staff try their best but it's just not that much to do.

The description for this hostel is incorrect. We went for Carnival (and paid extra) expecting a party. There was 4 other people staying in the entire hostel, no free drinks for ladies from 8-9pm each night and no communal dinners. Pretty big disappointment considering we went out of our way for an 8 hour bus trip to get there. It has potential but we weren't too impressed. Veracruz itself is also pretty dead especially if carnival wasn't on.

It was one of the most disgusting experiences I had in my life! Here you have a list about all the stuff that did not work or was really bad 1) The Wifi does not always work 2) There is no breakfast 3) The staff is incompetent. They cannot tell you anything about Veracruz 4) The location is more than bad- It's not near to anything 5) It's absolutly dirty Sorry, there is nothing positive to say about that hostel. And the money is not worth it!!

hi, I am really sorry that you stayed just as we had a staff changeover - as you can see from previous reviews I had to fire the previous staff. There is a free pancake, tea and coffee breakfast until 1pm now. The location is on the beach and 100metres to the aquarium, swimming with dolphins, wax museum and the mr. Ripley museum. More importantly it's a ten minute walk to the bar / clubs street!

The location was right next to the boulevard and the acquarium. It was a safe and quiet neighborhood with the beach at a walking distance. The hostel itself was very interesting, as it was set in a colonial style house with a center patio and a lot of space. The staff was extremely willing to keep you company and interact with the guests which was great (I even left my camera at the hostel and they sent it back to me undamaged!).

Had a blast here! I ended up staying longer than I planned. Great staff great guests, I'll be back!

• 11th Dec 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this lovely hostel for 3 nights. We even got the chance to benefit from volunteering. Thank you so much, Doug and Christelle for making our stay unforgettable. You guys especially and the other guests made this place unique. Warm greetings, Moritz

Great place to stay, staff are friendly and the hostel is clean with good facilities. Great location too, so much fun!!

• 7th Nov 2014

This hostel is just fake. They give you a free laundry if you give them a good review on tripadvisor. The french girl from the reception is horrible. The pool is fake (it is a pool for babies with some water in it). The location is out of town as well. And it wasnt really clean either. I cannot imagine to stay there longer than one night. Better you find another place in Veracruz. I am sry but this was nothing at all!!!!!

Our policy is to give free laundry is you leave an honest review on tripadvisor - we use those words. As for the French manager - our rating was 91% on hostelworld when she started so she has now been fired. The location is halfway between the town and the bar district and right on the beach next to the main attractions - swimming with dolphins, aquarium, penguinarium and museums- (we are also a 10 minute walk to the bus station (would be 40 mins to the the center) - no better location in Vera

Very good people ans the place is very nice.

• 31st Oct 2014

Really nice Hostel and nice staff! But more for people chilling out so if you have high standards might not be your first choice but excellent cill out and party place !

Best Hostel in Veracruz You ll feel right away like home, the place is awesome, the staff really nice You can drink, eat, play games, have fun and/or relax,smoke chicha Be back soon

I arrived in the pouring rain and the hostel was waiting for me with soft towels hot showers and free coffee. Got my laundry done as well. The staff were friendly and informed which was cool. The manager, a French girl, gave me a welcome shot and told me all about the hostal and the city. I ate at the hostal, they have their own chef, who makes great pizza, which is great for days when you don't want to spend too much, or you can't go outside because of the weather.

• 28th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

fantastic atmosphere. The staff were bilingual and always willing to help with advice of where to go and what to see. I speak no spanish so the chef even came with me in his free time to the bus station to help me get a ticket. while I was there they organised a cool party so travellers could meet locals and everyone could practice English/spanish. It was really well organised with games and activities. The beer was cheap, the room was clean (with air con) and the bed was comfy.

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Philipwade

The whole hostel was messy and dark. The main backpacker room was next to the kitchen and common areas making it very very loud! The staff didn't seem to know what there was to do in Veracruz. There was only one shower to share between all of the backpackers that was cold and the lock on the door did not work. Unfortunately there are not many more options in Veracruz with regards to budget sleeps

Hi. Samantha, this is a party hostel so naturally the common area next to the bar will be loud. There are two other common areas on the roof and outside in the hammocks if you would like a quiet space. There are actually three showers in the hostel, the staff should have pointed these out to you. The one shower that you used has a fixed warm, temperature, so again very sorry u didn't know about the other ones, the staff will be chastised for that. The hostel is cleaned twice a day, because it's