Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Good stay as usual,nice and quiet,friendly staff

• 20th Jan 2015

The hostel is next to every attraction you may wanna do. However, there is a pub just across the street and the noise at night is awful because of the lack of double-glazed windows! It's a pity that there is no proper common room area...

I am sorry to hear you experienced some noise from the pub. We are located in a vibrant area and noise can sometimes be heard. We do offer ear plugs in reception for these moments and if possible will locate you in quieter rooms, just check with reception. We do have a common area outside but due to the high winds we were not using it that week, however if you can brave the cold it is a nice area to chat to friends. Please come in the summer and you will see :) Each apartment has a kitchen area

This hostel is very close to town and everything you need to get to. The beds are hard and the bathrooms aren't really that great, but you've got plenty of room in the bedrooms and the common area is nice. The staff is really helpful also.

Beds are not to everyone's comfort and this seems to be an individual matter as some love the beds! :) I am sorry you found them hard and the bathrooms are a little cold in the winter. Thank you for a good scoring of the hostel and appreciating the staff being so helpful :)

Very nice hostel- different from what I have stayed in before. As it was apartment style dorms, there was a lack of atmosphere for single travellers looking to meet lots of people, but as I was with a friend it was a very clean, well equipped hostel in a very good location with great staff. I would still recommend this hostel to single travellers though as they promote a very good pub crawl and tours.

Thank you for your review and I am glad you found the hostel nice :) As you have noted we are an apartment style hostel which is different and we offer clean and well equipped apartments and a very cheap price! plus a fabulous location. We are more than happy to book your bar crawl and day trips! Just ask :)

What do you expect for £11.95 per night. The room was basic, but warm and clean. The building itself is, again, basic, but all the locks work, the street outside was quiet and the stairwells clean. The shower was good, water hot, but the wash bowl lacked a plug, making shaving impossible. The kitchen facilities looked dated, and perhaps could do with a little tlc, but overall I slept well, felt safe and would, on short visits to Edinburgh, stay there again.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Wales

We do our lowest rates at £9 a night! I am glad you found the hostel satisfactory and I will certainly get a new plug for this apartment sink. We have made some great improvements in the last year and are currently making more updates to the hostel including kitchens tlc, so hopefully if you stay with us again you will see more improvements.

This is a decent hostel, and definitely fine for the price. The best part was the awesome kitchen. The rooms were a bit sparse but the beds comfortable. The showers weren't great though. However, the staff were really helpful and friendly throughout our stay so that's a definite plus!

Thank you pointing out the positives in your stay. We are not perfect but I am glad you found the staff helpful and you are right....the kitchens are awesome! We have 10 of them :)

Beds we're very springy and loud. The toilets we're hard to flush, the shower temperature was either scolding hot or ice cold, the kitchen couch was always dirty, no wifi in reception which was weird. But good wifi in the rooms, super close to the grass market and discounts at local pubs. Would stay again!

The wifi in the rooms are different to the reception but there is FREE WIFI in both and we have a computer in reception as well. The building is old and a little quirky and improvements are always being made. I am glad to hear you would stay again and we hope you do :)

Wonderful hostel with wonderful people. We enjoyed the stay here and would love to take it again if plan to come again. Thank you!

Your wonderful!! :) Please come to see us again one day!

I found it as my second home. It is a very good hostel to stay which gives you a safe and quickest access on most of your wants. Moreover I found the staff and especially the reception lady, very welcoming, helpful and cooperative. The facilities provided are awesome and fairly covered on the amount charged. Though I expexted a discount on booking it for 11 students for 3 days. Overall, wonderful hostel! Thanks cowgate for your services! Best!

You guys make me smile :) It was great to have you have you and makes me so happy that you felt like this could be your home :)

Gostei muito,quartos limpos e cozinha equipada.Banheiro em ordem e chuveiro quente.

We had a very good experience at the hotel. We can easily recommend to stay at Cowgate Hostel.

We would easily have you come back :) Thank you

It's a very nice hostel with friendly and helpful staff. We got lots of tips for our nights out and had a very nice time there. We stayed in a twin private which was located within an apartement shared with 2 other rooms (also twin privates?). Location was great, we could walk everywhere and a lot of pubs and clubs are just nextdoor. Still it was not too loud at night. And yes: a mini pig would definitely awesome and attract more people ;)

I am so glad you are on board with the pig in reception idea! I am yet to convince the owner but I will never give up! I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and the apartment you had was a mix of 2x6 bed dorms and 1xtwin that you had. Location is Fab and Chloe is fantastic at giving you all the best places to go! We all love this city so much and want you to explore as we do :)

It was great to stay at Cowgate:) my room was very clean and the kitchen was nice! Everyone was friendly and i really enjoyed making new friends here :)

This makes me smile :)

We had 2 different rooms, the first was on the other side of the building and was a lot better than the one in front, more quite, cosy and cleaner. The kitchen and bathroom where cleaner. The hostel is in the club-area and there was a lot of noise in the night.

• 19th Dec 2014

The rooms at the back or sides are quieter as it can get noisy some evenings. If we have space at the back we will place people there.

This isn't a hostel so much as a long-term stay. My bunk was in an apartment filled with people moving to Edinburgh. There were 3 rooms with 6 bunks sharing one bathroom. Budget backpackers across the street was much better in terms of 'hostel environment'

In the winter in the city you will find a lot of hostels accommodate long term guests looking for work in the city. This is very normal. Budget backpackers also have there own long term hostel which is different to ours so I am sorry you were not happy here but I must explain it is a hostel for tourists, however in the winter season it may feel like we have more long term than tourists.

Well, the location is perfect. The hostel is inbetween the pubs and next to the city centre. The bedroom was okay for that prize. I think their were to less toilettes for so many people. But all in all, the personal was very friendly and helpful.

• 6th Dec 2014

Very good place for your stay in Edimburgh! Cheap and confortable.The staff is amazing and so friendly!

So happy you had a great time! We try very hard to be amazing :)

For what we paid a night, this better than I expected. The room was clean and we encountered no issues during our stay.

• 1st Dec 2014

This makes me happy :)

It was very comfortable and I had a nice welcomed. The facilities was more clean than I expected for the price so it was really good.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Mauritius

We do a big clean of the hostel everyday! Thank you for noticing :)

Cowgate Hostel is in a good position and the staff is kind, but the room and the sheets smelled very bad (i couldn't sleep for many hours). Security and location are quite ok, but really i have been glad to have only a onenight booking

I am glad you found the staff kind, please ask us if you have any concerns and we will solve this for you :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7