Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Lockers are useful Also it seemed as though there were limited toilets and showers for all the people staying However I never had to wait for the loo or shower

Good place to stay but no lockers, no CCTV and no frying pan.

Beds squeaky and not hot showers, just luke warm! Only complaint. Its central. Cheap. Has good kitchen (oven, microwave kettle etc) bathrooms good. Rooms big and clean. Bar across the road was noisy but we scored a room on the back so were lucky. At a weekend its very noisy

Helpful staff, nice atmosphere, good value for money. But it just gets one little light in the room.

• 14th Apr 2014
  • Taiwan

I am sorry that only 1 light was working in your room. We have replaced this bulb now so it will be brighter. Thank you for your feedback and comments :0)

Cow gate hostel was completely different to what I expected. They have kind of flats with 3 rooms each you share with other tourists. The rooms are just normal hostel rooms with 4-8 or more beds in it. It was nice staying there and clean. Unfortunately a little loud but because pubs were just opposite the street and the heating was not working but a member of staff was helpful to get it work. Definitely recommendable and really good location

The location is great. Apart from that it could have been better. The pictures look so nice on the website but the rest of the hostel are not that nice. The staircase gave me a creepy atmospher.The bed is so old that you will get a back pain because it lost its firmness. Although the bathroom and the toilet are clean but with only one bathroom to share with other rooms, it took forever to wait for your turn.Pots and an oven in the kitchen are rusty. The staffs there are nice though.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I am glad you found the staff very nice :) and the location great! If you look at other reviews you will see we do not have problems with the mattress so I am sorry if you found it uncomfortable. As you say the flats are clean and some flats have 1 shower and some have 2 and it can depend on how busy it is but it is great that they are in the flats. We do have a supple of pots and pans and will replace them when needed. I will make sure this is done again this week. Thank you

I think the staff did good work cleaning, but some of the tourists left their dirty stuff in the sink, the shower etc. I missed a tv, where I could sit in the evening after eating, a Place where I could get to know the others.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Norway

Thank you for your comments. The staff do work very hard on cleaning and everyone has to help by washing there own dishes. We do not have TV's anymore as we found they became damaged and people did not use them that much. Instead we installed FREE WIFI in the whole hostel so people can watch on there tablets.

The staff were lovely! Very helpful and welcoming. They were even willing to adopt me when they were in the pub for a quiz night so I didn't have to sit/eat alone. The only downside to the location is the noise from the Three Sisters Pub across the road, but that is to be expected given the proximity to Grassmarket. I have a fairly wide experience of hostels and in general I thought it was good value for money. I would be quite likely to stay there again.

• 9th Apr 2014

The hostel was pretty good, except the wifi that was slower than a maggot. Cheers.

Thank you for your comments I will get someone to look at the wifi as normally it is okay. Maybe it needs a re-boost!

I love Edinburgh, thank you for all your kindness.

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

We stayed luckily only 1 night. Already when we entered block 104 it smelled really bad like urin. The smell was also in the room. The colour on the walls had seen better days as well. The upper bed from the bunk beds had stains on it so we were too discusted to use it! so we both squeezed into the lower one. Besides the bunk beds there was only a wardrobe, not even a little table. Forget about the internet. Its not really working, I could hardly check my emails. Only good thing: location

I am sorry you felt you had to leave a bad review for us. You were in a private room and I check all room every day and they do not smell and are mopped and bleached everyday! If you found any marks on your bedding you can get new bedding in reception as per our notices.The wifi does work and you are the first to complain about this but again if you came to reception we would of rebooted your flat to be sure. There is a big table and chairs in the kitchen.

Good location and facilities. Staff friendly and helpful.

• 5th Apr 2014

Excelwnt location, helpful staff and great price!

• 5th Apr 2014

I know hostel deserves how much you pay for but I think this one can also be less stuffy (ground floor window is closed forever) and quieter(ourside its a nightclub). Also, the corridor is quite scaring with the red paint everywhere (of the door, column,etc)

There ground floor levels do not have an open window as it's on the street level but we do have fans in the rooms to circulate air. If this was not working I do apologise. There is nightclub/bar opposite us and the street in general is a busy place so you will experience some noise levels on busy nights. The red paint in the stairwells is not meant to be scary!! :) Just a bright colour. The flats and bedrooms are pale greens, blues and yellows. Your right for £9.00 a night its a great price!

Excellent location, clean bedrooms and toilet. Non 24 hrs reception is a disadvantage, though they offer an emergency number which was quite helpul for me to do my early check- out.

24 hour reception is not required here as you have full access to the hostel with codes and keys.

Hi guys! I stayed in the Cowgate hostel for 2 nights just a week ago and I need to say, that it was a good choice. The building does not look amazing from outside, but it is secure, clean and location is perfect. If you will chose to stay there, you will have all the trendy bars and restaurants just round the corner and also a few mins walk to the old town! There are also few small cafes which serve traditional Scottish breakfast's rolls with Higgins for a great price :-) Enjoy

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the great location! Edinburgh is just amazing we think! :)

Very good accomodation for visiting Edinburgh! It's very close to the centre, clean with big kitchen and good facilities: of course compared to the cheap prices. The wifi works properly and we also had very nice roommates. The only negative thing was the persistent smell of fresh paint in the room.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :) I do apologies about the smell of paint. This room had recently been re-painted and due to the busy days you stayed with us we were not able to move you. I am glad this was the only negative you found at our hostel.

Pretty convenient location and friendly staff! Unfortunately there were no lockers in the flats to put valuables in.

We currently do not have lockers but do hope to have them in the future. We can offer to keep small valuables in reception or bags can be left in the lock up/reception area if space allows.

I stayed in a very big room compared to the other hostels I stayed previously. All rooms very clean, staff really kind and helpful. Perfect central location to visit the city. I would stay here again.

• 20th Mar 2014

Thank you for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again :)

Couldn't believe how cheap it was for such a great hostel - definitely the best value for money in Edinburgh and a great location right in the old town and a short walk to all the main attractions. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and cleaners were friendly and thorough. The apartment style flats are homely and cosy with new and well equipped kitchen. I enjoyed my stay and would reccommend!

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3