Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

the staff was very helpfull. the only bad thing is that the shower was too cold or too hot

• 23rd Mar 2015

Location was fantastic and bedding was good. Bathrooms were very unkept. Bunks had no cages for locking you luggage in and the dorms smelt damp. Value for money as it was dirt Chris and for one night but I would not recommend more than that. Staff were okay, and the hostel has a very quiet vibe. Overall not too shabby !

The staff were diligent and respectful. The room itself was below expectations. The room in which my party were staying didn't feel clean. There was only one shower between 4 6-person dorms, so queue in morning was irritating, and otheer guests left their clothes in the toilets (2). Kitchen had dirty dishes etc in sink, a broken couch, and a chair that collapsed on one of my party members without warning. No safety boxes present in room. Good location but situated beside busy nightlife spot.

• 21st Mar 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I am sorry you found the apartment below standard. We are waiting to remove the sofas at the moment and due to the very busy rugby weekend the apartment was full. We can not control leaving clothes in the bathrooms and we did the washing up twice a day to try and help out. It is self catering apartments so all guests have to chip in and help out and guests must be aware they are sharing facilities with others, not like a hotel. However I feel with the rugby weekend it was worse than usual.

Excellent, me and six of my friends stayed for a hen night and it was fantastic. We had a six bedroom with a mattress brought in to ourselves. Room was clean and comfy, very secure enough one of the girls went back early and stayed alone till we got in. Staff were friendly and helpful. This was the first time any of us had stayed in a hostel and would well recommend it! Brilliant price too.

• 14th Mar 2015

Thanks Girls! So glad you had a great stay and enjoyed so much your hen party! Hopefully you will return to us one day for a holiday! :)

The feedback from my group is that they were very happy with the hostel. It was excellent value for money, in an very central (slightly noisy at 4am) location. The rooms were clean and safe and I would definitely return with a similar group.

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Wales

Our hostel is perfect for groups so I am glad you had a happy experience here with us :) You are welcome back anytime!

The people staying at the hostel were really nice and fun!! The guys at the reception were really nice as well and really helpful :D Good hostel and really clean. I felt at home

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Argentina

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We think of this hostel like a big family and we are happy you agree :)

The most of the staff are nice and frindly except one boy of them who is not patient with people dont speak english

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Spain

I am sorry about this and I will speak with him about this. He also is not a native English speaker so I am surprised by this, but I will bring up your concern, thank you!

good hostel

Thank you for safety room.

You can not give me what I need !!! No one is able to give me that.

I am glad you found this spirit! Thank you my friend!

The room was cold and drafty--the window was cracked open and wouldn't close which was frustrating when I came back from being caught in the rain and all I wanted was to warm up a bit. Loved the complimentary tea and coffee and baggage hold. One of the staff members was super nice and helpful, another did not seem knowledgable/could not answer many of my questions.

• 28th Feb 2015

I am so sorry about the window and this has now been replaced with new glass. I'm glad you love the FREE tea and coffee :) We do have a new staff member who is still learning so I hope you managed to find everything you needed in the end.

Great location and nice staff but apart from that the place is thoroughly grubby and run down. The walls, sheets and towels all had various staining. The curtains fell off the railing as soon as touched. The beds were uncomfy and pretty rickety. Finally the showers were terrible, water trickling out and not even lukewarm water. We were extremely disappointed at our stay, we paid £26 a head for a 6 bed room and all agreed that we would quite happily have paid extra to have stayed somewhere else.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

The cost for our hostel is normally £10/15 a night which is super cheap. The night you stayed was a ruby weekend so all the city was on premium rates so it was £26 but in comparison to other hostels/hotels in the city it was very cheap! The flats have just been painted and all sheets are clean. If we find any sheets stained we will throw them out so i am sorry if you found one. I have checked the showers and if i am honest they are really fine. I wish you would speak to us before

It's really nice that every few rooms have their own kitchen. But room doors need a bit of oil as they're squeaking very loud and the bunk beds don't seem to be very stable as well. Unfortunately you hear and especially notice every movement of the other person.

We do oil the door but will certainly go around the hostel and do the doors and beds again. Thank you for the feedback

Friendly staff, good location. We could walk almost everywhere. Room and entire flat smelled horrible. Not even leaving the window open at all times helped. We stayed in a mixed six bed room. There are no lockers, so no possibility to lock any of your belongings. Not enough sockets. Wireless didn't work with my phone but with the other's devices. Very low water pressure due to damaged hose. We tried to spend as little time as possible in the hostel because the atmosphere wasn't inviting at all.

• 26th Feb 2015

I am glad you found the staff friendly but I am sorry you did not want to be around the hostel too much. As it was a fully booked stay we had to locate you in with the long term guests so I am sorry if this made the room not smell so good. We do not advertise that we have lockers so lease check this before you book. The wifi is always working and if not you must report to reception and the friendly staff will help you. The hose was leaking on the shower and is now fixed.

Bedsheets weren't clean and there was little evidence of communal areas - kitchen/showers etc being regularly cleaned either. No secure luggage storing facilities within rooms which was fine as we had a private room but wouldn't be ideal otherwise.

• 20th Feb 2015

Bedsheets are clean and if you thought they are not please ask reception for new sheets straight away. The hostel is cleaned everyday with love and care. The night you stayed was with a group of 160 students so it was very busy in your apartment. Please consider when you share a communal area this can not be constantly cleaned as it is being used all the time. We do not have lockers but we do have a secure luggage area in reception if and when needed.

To begin, the hostel was in a slightly sketchy part of town, and on top of all that the lock on the door to the room didnt work at all. The facilities could have been nice but they weren't very clean at all. It was okay for one night but I would not stay for any longer. The staff was helpful however when we realized we needed to check out before reception was open for the morning. They gave us our key deposit back and then were helpful with telling us how to return the key in the morning.

We do checks on the hostel everyday and ALL the locks do work. There is a latch system so if it is put on the latch you need to take it back off. Just ask and we can explain this but I must stress that ALL locks do work. The hostel is cleaned everyday and we get great reviews for this. Please bear in mind when you are sharing a hostel that people will make mess and it can not be cleaned 24/7.I am glad you found the staff helpful. If you do have any concerns please ask the staff so we can resolve

The staff were brilliant and extremely friendly. I'll definitely stay there again when in Edinburgh.

• 18th Feb 2015

We are brilliant! Thank you for noticing :)

This is a great budget place to stay! The facilities are very minimal, but it is also very inexpensive to stay there so that didn't bother me or my group. The pubs across the street were certainly loud, but that's all a part of the fun, right?

• 17th Feb 2015

Sure is! :) Edinburgh is all about the fun and beauty...So glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

very friendly staff, comfortable stay

Great to see you stay with us again. Hope to see you soon!

Good bedroom, excelent beds, clean bathroom and hot shower! Very well located, easy access to the main places.

• 8th Feb 2015

Thank you for such a great review! Safe travels :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4