Cowgate Tourist Hostel

Very Good 3168 Total Reviews

• Germany, Female, 18-24
3rd Jan 2017
6.6

It was far too dirty, but except for that our stay was very good.

• Ireland, Female, 18-24
2nd Jan 2017
4.6

Stayed here with a tour and it was fine bedsides having 1 shower pwr floor. Had to extend my stay one night after the tour finished as I couldn't get flights to my next destination. Had to check out at 11am and then had to wait until 5pm to check in again when check in was 2pm!!! The cleaners were very slow and there was a hue line of people waiting to check in when I was waiting for 6 hours! Wasn't happy as I could have stayed in my original room for one more night! Poor organization

• Italy, Female, 18-24
2nd Jan 2017

My friends and I stayed at the Cowgate tourists hostel for a couple of days after New Year. The hostel is right in the city centre, you can reach everything in a 15 minutes walk. No need to take any public transports, which makes the stay even more convenient. The room as the duvets free provided were really warm, so don't worry of freezing at night. Both room and toilets/showers were really clean, taking into consideration the accomodation.

• Australia, Couple, 18-24
29th Dec 2016
8.0

Best location to be in Edinburgh. Weird toilet facilities but every dorm has its own kitchen which is awesome

• USA, Female, 18-24
28th Dec 2016

This was a very convenient location because it was easy to walk to the castle, Grassmarket, and to the tours we went on. We also were able to walk from the hostel to Arthur's Seat. It was a great stay, and the only improvement I would make would be to have access to more showers. Our floor shared a single shower so sometimes we had to wait until others finished.

24th Dec 2016
5.1

Was too dusty this place. The atmosphere was too cold. Reception in a building , rooms in few more buildings ..

• Australia, Female, 18-24
18th Dec 2016
6.3

Overall my stay was just a bed to sleep in whilst in Edinburgh but I wouldn't stay again. The bed was ridiculously squeaky and I would be woken by other people moving during the night. One of the showers didn't work whilst the other one was either boiling hot or freezing cold. I didn't use the kitchen facilities. The place itself was clean. No lockers in the rooms and no run down given on check in, in regards to location of things around, which should just be part of your welcome I think.

• England, Male, 31-40
2nd Dec 2016
7.7

Apartments have their own key card and then keys to get into your block but your own room doesn't have a door that locks which was a little strange. Staff were friendly on check in and check out. Shower room and toilets were clean and tidy and the location of the hostel was great. have to put a £20 deposit down on arrival for your keys so just be aware before going.

• willowlimbach
  • USA, Female, 18-24
2nd Dec 2016

Bare minimum hostel but not bad. Security was a bit lacking as there were no lockers and a drunk man who was not a guest somehow had key to my room (10 bed dorm). He came in and fell asleep on the floor during the night but when I told the staff the next morning they seemed very concerned and went to check it out (he was still passed out on the floor so I'm sure they sorted it out). Kitchen was decent but there was no salt or oil or free shelf or anything like that.

• England, Female, 18-24
21st Oct 2016

Great location, clean room and beds, friendly staff and lively atmosphere.