Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

This isn't a hostel so much as a long-term stay. My bunk was in an apartment filled with people moving to Edinburgh. There were 3 rooms with 6 bunks sharing one bathroom. Budget backpackers across the street was much better in terms of 'hostel environment'

In the winter in the city you will find a lot of hostels accommodate long term guests looking for work in the city. This is very normal. Budget backpackers also have there own long term hostel which is different to ours so I am sorry you were not happy here but I must explain it is a hostel for tourists, however in the winter season it may feel like we have more long term than tourists.

Well, the location is perfect. The hostel is inbetween the pubs and next to the city centre. The bedroom was okay for that prize. I think their were to less toilettes for so many people. But all in all, the personal was very friendly and helpful.

• 6th Dec 2014

Very good place for your stay in Edimburgh! Cheap and confortable.The staff is amazing and so friendly!

So happy you had a great time! We try very hard to be amazing :)

For what we paid a night, this better than I expected. The room was clean and we encountered no issues during our stay.

• 1st Dec 2014

It was very comfortable and I had a nice welcomed. The facilities was more clean than I expected for the price so it was really good.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Mauritius

Cowgate Hostel is in a good position and the staff is kind, but the room and the sheets smelled very bad (i couldn't sleep for many hours). Security and location are quite ok, but really i have been glad to have only a onenight booking

I am glad you found the staff kind, please ask us if you have any concerns and we will solve this for you :)

If you like to party and go out then it's the right place to stay- Very close to many pubs and clubs.. ( if the windows are open can get a bit noisy) ..our room, the showers and toilets were clean. Each appartment has his own kitchen so you don't have to share it with all people in the hostel.. we were quite happy staying in this hostel!

It smelled musty and was rather dark. The sheets seemed clean though, and the staff was friendly.

Right in the City centre. Small room. Clean enough to drunkenly fall into bed. Fair price.

• 15th Nov 2014

Staff were very helpful and accommodating. Good location handy to town, a little old but excellent value for accommodation in the UK.

The apartment we stayed in was clean but run down, there was no knob on the light switch & the curtains didn't fit the windows. 1 shower was out of order so we had a queue for the 1 that worked. We had a group arrive at 5am who proceeded to shout from one room to another & slam doors (there was much excitement about the sofa in the kitchen area and the taste of tap water) until i got up and asked them to 'dial it down'. This obviously is not the hostels fault, but does put a downer on the stay.

I am sorry you had some 5am over excitable guests. They had been travelling for 13 hours and were happy to see an apartment. The shower is now working so I am sorry this was out of order during your stay. The hostel is a great concept of apartment style living at a very cheap price, however it could do with some new updates and we hope to get more improvements done in the new year, however there is nothing that should interupt your stay with us at present.

PERFECT HOSTEL, should only have breakfast.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We do not offer breakfast as we do have many kitchens for making your own food and we offer FREE tea and coffee in reception 8am -11pm and sometimes we have free food in reception if you are lucky :)

Cowgate is one of the best hostels I have stayed at. The atmosphere was always chill, relaxed, and fun. The staff was super friendly and we had a blast going out with them for the Halooween Pub Crawl!

• 31st Oct 2014

Halloween hostel party was one we will not forget in a hurray!! I am so glad your group were part of it and enjoyed as much as we did!

The receptionists are really nice and there is free tea and they keep your luggage for free as well! It is clean and the cleaners are really nice, so I am very satisfied with it.

Thank you for such a great and honest review :)

Excelent service and the best location, near everithing!

I am glad you enjoyed and appreciated the fantastic old town location!

Cowgate Hostel was such a super place to stay on my visit to Edinburgh! The hostel is situated on Cowgate Road which is right in the middle of all the coolest pubs, bars and clubs! The staff are so friendly and welcoming and the hostel offers free tours of the town. Such a wonderful stay!

• 27th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

We loved having you!! Come back soon! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here :)

Very loud at night (pub across street), only two showers per floor (about 25-30people). Toilets with showers that meance if someone take shower it's no chance to use toilet, missing glass in windows replaced by cupboard. Reception and staff in other building.

You were in the 112 building which is opposite a bar. It has 2 showers for a maximum of 20 people when this is only when fully booked up (not 30 people). There is a separate toilet to the 2 showers so if people are in the showers you can still go to the toilet, It surprises me you did not see this single toilet as it was next to your room 5. There is no missing glass replaced by a cupboard. Reception is in the main reception open from 8am - 11pm. You are situated in a fully equipped apartment.

It would have been nice to have a mirror and a bin in the room.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Finland

All rooms have bins so I am sorry if yours was maybe removed or broken but all rooms do have bins. Some rooms have mirrors but not all, it is on our list for improvements to the hostel and we hope very soon to have mirrors in all rooms

The hostel has very good location-close to the city, but the standards of cleaning very poor. On the bedsheet lots of hair -looks like wasn't changed and cleaned at all. Dirty floor in the room. Sp we asked the reception to have new bed linen and than she came to do that bot unfortunatelly forgott one pillow case or somethiong. Tooks her ages to come back , I phoned her again but she had another tasks to do ...so left me for another 30 min. Very laud music from outside that you can't sleep .

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Poland

I can assure any reviews that the bed sheets are clean and bedding is recently new in the whole hostel. Hair just seems to be impossible to get rid off sometimes but this does not mean the sheets are not fresh back from laundry. If new sheets are requested they are given with no hesitation. The receptionist changed all your beds while trying to run the front desk and missed 1 pillow case.You called her from your room when she had check-ins to deal with and she was with you as soon as possible.

Very nice and friendly staff, great location, nice place in general! Facilities in kitchen available, wifi on place - great.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • Poland

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us :) Hope to see you again one day!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7