Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Bedsheets weren't clean and there was little evidence of communal areas - kitchen/showers etc being regularly cleaned either. No secure luggage storing facilities within rooms which was fine as we had a private room but wouldn't be ideal otherwise.

• 20th Feb 2015

Bedsheets are clean and if you thought they are not please ask reception for new sheets straight away. The hostel is cleaned everyday with love and care. The night you stayed was with a group of 160 students so it was very busy in your apartment. Please consider when you share a communal area this can not be constantly cleaned as it is being used all the time. We do not have lockers but we do have a secure luggage area in reception if and when needed.

To begin, the hostel was in a slightly sketchy part of town, and on top of all that the lock on the door to the room didnt work at all. The facilities could have been nice but they weren't very clean at all. It was okay for one night but I would not stay for any longer. The staff was helpful however when we realized we needed to check out before reception was open for the morning. They gave us our key deposit back and then were helpful with telling us how to return the key in the morning.

We do checks on the hostel everyday and ALL the locks do work. There is a latch system so if it is put on the latch you need to take it back off. Just ask and we can explain this but I must stress that ALL locks do work. The hostel is cleaned everyday and we get great reviews for this. Please bear in mind when you are sharing a hostel that people will make mess and it can not be cleaned 24/7.I am glad you found the staff helpful. If you do have any concerns please ask the staff so we can resolve

This is a great budget place to stay! The facilities are very minimal, but it is also very inexpensive to stay there so that didn't bother me or my group. The pubs across the street were certainly loud, but that's all a part of the fun, right?

• 17th Feb 2015

very friendly staff, comfortable stay

I wish I could leave a more positive review, unfortunately I cannot. The location was good when considering distance from everything, however the bars across the street a very loud at night and the windows are quite thin. The bathrooms were good, the showers were near impossible to figure out with very low water pressure. I also woke up to the staff coming in and cleaning the room rudely commenting about how I was in the wrong bed, however someone was already in my assigned bed when I arrived.

• 5th Feb 2015

I am sorry your stay was not how you wished. We are opposite a bar that can be loud on accasions and we can only offer ear plugs for this im afraid. Im glad you liked the bathrooms and the showers work by just pressing the red switch :) not too complicated, however if you find low pressure please tell reception. We do ask people to sleep in there assigned beds to make house keeping easier however we know this does not always happen in the real world! I am sure they did not mean to be rude. Sorry

The hostel was fine. The lack of a common room was not a problem as the kitchen was a great place to meet people and with The Tinterweb it was easy enough to put on some music. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing it could do with is a washing machine especially as it was eight pounds including soap and the dryer in the local launderette.

• 31st Jan 2015

Good stay as usual,nice and quiet,friendly staff

Great to have you stay with us again :) Come back soon

The hostel is next to every attraction you may wanna do. However, there is a pub just across the street and the noise at night is awful because of the lack of double-glazed windows! It's a pity that there is no proper common room area...

I am sorry to hear you experienced some noise from the pub. We are located in a vibrant area and noise can sometimes be heard. We do offer ear plugs in reception for these moments and if possible will locate you in quieter rooms, just check with reception. We do have a common area outside but due to the high winds we were not using it that week, however if you can brave the cold it is a nice area to chat to friends. Please come in the summer and you will see :) Each apartment has a kitchen area

This hostel is very close to town and everything you need to get to. The beds are hard and the bathrooms aren't really that great, but you've got plenty of room in the bedrooms and the common area is nice. The staff is really helpful also.

Beds are not to everyone's comfort and this seems to be an individual matter as some love the beds! :) I am sorry you found them hard and the bathrooms are a little cold in the winter. Thank you for a good scoring of the hostel and appreciating the staff being so helpful :)

Very nice hostel- different from what I have stayed in before. As it was apartment style dorms, there was a lack of atmosphere for single travellers looking to meet lots of people, but as I was with a friend it was a very clean, well equipped hostel in a very good location with great staff. I would still recommend this hostel to single travellers though as they promote a very good pub crawl and tours.

Thank you for your review and I am glad you found the hostel nice :) As you have noted we are an apartment style hostel which is different and we offer clean and well equipped apartments and a very cheap price! plus a fabulous location. We are more than happy to book your bar crawl and day trips! Just ask :)

What do you expect for £11.95 per night. The room was basic, but warm and clean. The building itself is, again, basic, but all the locks work, the street outside was quiet and the stairwells clean. The shower was good, water hot, but the wash bowl lacked a plug, making shaving impossible. The kitchen facilities looked dated, and perhaps could do with a little tlc, but overall I slept well, felt safe and would, on short visits to Edinburgh, stay there again.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Wales

We do our lowest rates at £9 a night! I am glad you found the hostel satisfactory and I will certainly get a new plug for this apartment sink. We have made some great improvements in the last year and are currently making more updates to the hostel including kitchens tlc, so hopefully if you stay with us again you will see more improvements.

This is a decent hostel, and definitely fine for the price. The best part was the awesome kitchen. The rooms were a bit sparse but the beds comfortable. The showers weren't great though. However, the staff were really helpful and friendly throughout our stay so that's a definite plus!

Thank you pointing out the positives in your stay. We are not perfect but I am glad you found the staff helpful and you are right....the kitchens are awesome! We have 10 of them :)

Beds we're very springy and loud. The toilets we're hard to flush, the shower temperature was either scolding hot or ice cold, the kitchen couch was always dirty, no wifi in reception which was weird. But good wifi in the rooms, super close to the grass market and discounts at local pubs. Would stay again!

The wifi in the rooms are different to the reception but there is FREE WIFI in both and we have a computer in reception as well. The building is old and a little quirky and improvements are always being made. I am glad to hear you would stay again and we hope you do :)

Wonderful hostel with wonderful people. We enjoyed the stay here and would love to take it again if plan to come again. Thank you!

Your wonderful!! :) Please come to see us again one day!

I found it as my second home. It is a very good hostel to stay which gives you a safe and quickest access on most of your wants. Moreover I found the staff and especially the reception lady, very welcoming, helpful and cooperative. The facilities provided are awesome and fairly covered on the amount charged. Though I expexted a discount on booking it for 11 students for 3 days. Overall, wonderful hostel! Thanks cowgate for your services! Best!

You guys make me smile :) It was great to have you have you and makes me so happy that you felt like this could be your home :)

Gostei muito,quartos limpos e cozinha equipada.Banheiro em ordem e chuveiro quente.

We had a very good experience at the hotel. We can easily recommend to stay at Cowgate Hostel.

We would easily have you come back :) Thank you

It's a very nice hostel with friendly and helpful staff. We got lots of tips for our nights out and had a very nice time there. We stayed in a twin private which was located within an apartement shared with 2 other rooms (also twin privates?). Location was great, we could walk everywhere and a lot of pubs and clubs are just nextdoor. Still it was not too loud at night. And yes: a mini pig would definitely awesome and attract more people ;)

I am so glad you are on board with the pig in reception idea! I am yet to convince the owner but I will never give up! I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and the apartment you had was a mix of 2x6 bed dorms and 1xtwin that you had. Location is Fab and Chloe is fantastic at giving you all the best places to go! We all love this city so much and want you to explore as we do :)

It was great to stay at Cowgate:) my room was very clean and the kitchen was nice! Everyone was friendly and i really enjoyed making new friends here :)

This makes me smile :)

We had 2 different rooms, the first was on the other side of the building and was a lot better than the one in front, more quite, cosy and cleaner. The kitchen and bathroom where cleaner. The hostel is in the club-area and there was a lot of noise in the night.

• 19th Dec 2014

The rooms at the back or sides are quieter as it can get noisy some evenings. If we have space at the back we will place people there.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5