Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Helpful staff, nice atmosphere, good value for money. But it just gets one little light in the room.

• 14th Apr 2014
  • Taiwan

The location is great. Apart from that it could have been better. The pictures look so nice on the website but the rest of the hostel are not that nice. The staircase gave me a creepy atmospher.The bed is so old that you will get a back pain because it lost its firmness. Although the bathroom and the toilet are clean but with only one bathroom to share with other rooms, it took forever to wait for your turn.Pots and an oven in the kitchen are rusty. The staffs there are nice though.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I am glad you found the staff very nice :) and the location great! If you look at other reviews you will see we do not have problems with the mattress so I am sorry if you found it uncomfortable. As you say the flats are clean and some flats have 1 shower and some have 2 and it can depend on how busy it is but it is great that they are in the flats. We do have a supple of pots and pans and will replace them when needed. I will make sure this is done again this week. Thank you

I think the staff did good work cleaning, but some of the tourists left their dirty stuff in the sink, the shower etc. I missed a tv, where I could sit in the evening after eating, a Place where I could get to know the others.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Norway

Thank you for your comments. The staff do work very hard on cleaning and everyone has to help by washing there own dishes. We do not have TV's anymore as we found they became damaged and people did not use them that much. Instead we installed FREE WIFI in the whole hostel so people can watch on there tablets.

The hostel was pretty good, except the wifi that was slower than a maggot. Cheers.

Thank you for your comments I will get someone to look at the wifi as normally it is okay. Maybe it needs a re-boost!

There were gun shoots in my room hahahahaha. It was a nice touch, kind of scary tough. I love Edinburgh, thank you for all your kindness.

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

We stayed luckily only 1 night. Already when we entered block 104 it smelled really bad like urin. The smell was also in the room. The colour on the walls had seen better days as well. The upper bed from the bunk beds had stains on it so we were too discusted to use it! so we both squeezed into the lower one. Besides the bunk beds there was only a wardrobe, not even a little table. Forget about the internet. Its not really working, I could hardly check my emails. Only good thing: location

I am sorry you felt you had to leave a bad review for us. You were in a private room and I check all room every day and they do not smell and are mopped and bleached everyday! If you found any marks on your bedding you can get new bedding in reception as per our notices.The wifi does work and you are the first to complain about this but again if you came to reception we would of rebooted your flat to be sure. There is a big table and chairs in the kitchen.

Good location and facilities. Staff friendly and helpful.

• 5th Apr 2014

Excelwnt location, helpful staff and great price!

• 5th Apr 2014

I know hostel deserves how much you pay for but I think this one can also be less stuffy (ground floor window is closed forever) and quieter(ourside its a nightclub). Also, the corridor is quite scaring with the red paint everywhere (of the door, column,etc)

There ground floor levels do not have an open window as it's on the street level but we do have fans in the rooms to circulate air. If this was not working I do apologise. There is nightclub/bar opposite us and the street in general is a busy place so you will experience some noise levels on busy nights. The red paint in the stairwells is not meant to be scary!! :) Just a bright colour. The flats and bedrooms are pale greens, blues and yellows. Your right for £9.00 a night its a great price!

Excellent location, clean bedrooms and toilet. Non 24 hrs reception is a disadvantage, though they offer an emergency number which was quite helpul for me to do my early check- out.

Hi guys! I stayed in the Cowgate hostel for 2 nights just a week ago and I need to say, that it was a good choice. The building does not look amazing from outside, but it is secure, clean and location is perfect. If you will chose to stay there, you will have all the trendy bars and restaurants just round the corner and also a few mins walk to the old town! There are also few small cafes which serve traditional Scottish breakfast's rolls with Higgins for a great price :-) Enjoy

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the great location! Edinburgh is just amazing we think! :)

Very good accomodation for visiting Edinburgh! It's very close to the centre, clean with big kitchen and good facilities: of course compared to the cheap prices. The wifi works properly and we also had very nice roommates. The only negative thing was the persistent smell of fresh paint in the room.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :) I do apologies about the smell of paint. This room had recently been re-painted and due to the busy days you stayed with us we were not able to move you. I am glad this was the only negative you found at our hostel.

Pretty convenient location and friendly staff! Unfortunately there were no lockers in the flats to put valuables in.

We currently do not have lockers but do hope to have them in the future. We can offer to keep small valuables in reception or bags can be left in the lock up/reception area if space allows.

I stayed in a very big room compared to the other hostels I stayed previously. All rooms very clean, staff really kind and helpful. Perfect central location to visit the city. I would stay here again.

• 20th Mar 2014

Thank you for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again :)

Couldn't believe how cheap it was for such a great hostel - definitely the best value for money in Edinburgh and a great location right in the old town and a short walk to all the main attractions. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and cleaners were friendly and thorough. The apartment style flats are homely and cosy with new and well equipped kitchen. I enjoyed my stay and would reccommend!

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :)

Awesome staff. Very pleasant and hassle free stay.

Thank you for your nice comments! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us :)

Very basic and not ass pleasant or as convenient as St Christophers. Also one of the blocks (and our room) was opposite a very noisy pub which is open until 3am

• 8th Mar 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

I am sorry hear you do not like our hostel as much as another. Comparing on price to the other hostel we are half the price on a private rooms so this may be why we seemed more basic as we are a lot cheaper and do not offer ensuite. We are located on the Cowgate which is a busy street in Edinburgh and the night you stayed was the 6 nations rugby game so this may of contributed to extra noise.

The hostel location was perfect, just right in town. However, there was a lot of noise coming from the street so I would advise to bring earplugs if you are staying here. Besides, the heating wasn't working at all in our room and the duvets were quite thin, so it was pretty cold at night. The room and bathrooms (which were shared) were quite clean, however the smell of pee was very bad at the entrance of the block. The only thing I would recommend this hostel for is the location.

Thank you for your comments. I would like you to bear in mind it was the 6 nations rugby weekend when you stayed with us the whole city was booked out, very busy and very noisy. People do pee in the street I am afraid to say, so we do bleach all doorways in the mornings. I am glad you found the rooms and bathrooms clean as we do clean everyday. The heating does work with a switch on the wall and if not ask reception to reset it. Thanks

there was a strange smell in the staircase

• 2nd Mar 2014

Really dirty

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Spain

The hostel is cleaned everyday by a great team of cleaners. Toilets, showers,kitchens and bedrooms are all checked and cleaned everyday so I can assure you the hostel is not 'really dirty'.

« first « Prev 1 2 3