Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Right in the City centre. Small room. Clean enough to drunkenly fall into bed. Fair price.

• 15th Nov 2014

Staff were very helpful and accommodating. Good location handy to town, a little old but excellent value for accommodation in the UK.

The apartment we stayed in was clean but run down, there was no knob on the light switch & the curtains didn't fit the windows. 1 shower was out of order so we had a queue for the 1 that worked. We had a group arrive at 5am who proceeded to shout from one room to another & slam doors (there was much excitement about the sofa in the kitchen area and the taste of tap water) until i got up and asked them to 'dial it down'. This obviously is not the hostels fault, but does put a downer on the stay.

I am sorry you had some 5am over excitable guests. They had been travelling for 13 hours and were happy to see an apartment. The shower is now working so I am sorry this was out of order during your stay. The hostel is a great concept of apartment style living at a very cheap price, however it could do with some new updates and we hope to get more improvements done in the new year, however there is nothing that should interupt your stay with us at present.

PERFECT HOSTEL, should only have breakfast.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We do not offer breakfast as we do have many kitchens for making your own food and we offer FREE tea and coffee in reception 8am -11pm and sometimes we have free food in reception if you are lucky :)

Cowgate is one of the best hostels I have stayed at. The atmosphere was always chill, relaxed, and fun. The staff was super friendly and we had a blast going out with them for the Halooween Pub Crawl!

• 31st Oct 2014

Halloween hostel party was one we will not forget in a hurray!! I am so glad your group were part of it and enjoyed as much as we did!

The receptionists are really nice and there is free tea and they keep your luggage for free as well! It is clean and the cleaners are really nice, so I am very satisfied with it.

Thank you for such a great and honest review :)

Excelent service and the best location, near everithing!

I am glad you enjoyed and appreciated the fantastic old town location!

Cowgate Hostel was such a super place to stay on my visit to Edinburgh! The hostel is situated on Cowgate Road which is right in the middle of all the coolest pubs, bars and clubs! The staff are so friendly and welcoming and the hostel offers free tours of the town. Such a wonderful stay!

• 27th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

We loved having you!! Come back soon! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here :)

Very loud at night (pub across street), only two showers per floor (about 25-30people). Toilets with showers that meance if someone take shower it's no chance to use toilet, missing glass in windows replaced by cupboard. Reception and staff in other building.

You were in the 112 building which is opposite a bar. It has 2 showers for a maximum of 20 people when this is only when fully booked up (not 30 people). There is a separate toilet to the 2 showers so if people are in the showers you can still go to the toilet, It surprises me you did not see this single toilet as it was next to your room 5. There is no missing glass replaced by a cupboard. Reception is in the main reception open from 8am - 11pm. You are situated in a fully equipped apartment.

It would have been nice to have a mirror and a bin in the room.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Finland

All rooms have bins so I am sorry if yours was maybe removed or broken but all rooms do have bins. Some rooms have mirrors but not all, it is on our list for improvements to the hostel and we hope very soon to have mirrors in all rooms

The hostel has very good location-close to the city, but the standards of cleaning very poor. On the bedsheet lots of hair -looks like wasn't changed and cleaned at all. Dirty floor in the room. Sp we asked the reception to have new bed linen and than she came to do that bot unfortunatelly forgott one pillow case or somethiong. Tooks her ages to come back , I phoned her again but she had another tasks to do ...so left me for another 30 min. Very laud music from outside that you can't sleep .

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Poland

I can assure any reviews that the bed sheets are clean and bedding is recently new in the whole hostel. Hair just seems to be impossible to get rid off sometimes but this does not mean the sheets are not fresh back from laundry. If new sheets are requested they are given with no hesitation. The receptionist changed all your beds while trying to run the front desk and missed 1 pillow case.You called her from your room when she had check-ins to deal with and she was with you as soon as possible.

Very nice and friendly staff, great location, nice place in general! Facilities in kitchen available, wifi on place - great.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • Poland

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us :) Hope to see you again one day!

Overall the hostel is really good when u compare it against value for money and location. Though cleanliness can be improved to make it better option.

• 12th Oct 2014
  • Pakistan

It is great value for money and different to other hostels with the option of apartment stye living. We do take pride in cleaning the hostel everyday, every apartment, every kitchen, every shower, toilet, floors, hallways!!! However living in communal areas with other guests you will find we can not keep the hostel tidy 24/7 as facilities are being used all day every day.

Spent a night there. Noisiness came from the inside rather than the outside, even though there are two great bars in close proximity — this could have been avoided if the automatic door-closer actually closed the door, rather than keep it half-closed. One bathroom shower did not work, hence there was quite a lineup as this was half of the showers for the floor (~12 people). Shower had lots of humidity mold, leading to a typical smell in the whole floor. Friendly staff.

The Hostel it's in the middle of the night life. There isn't really security to enter at night, only a code, but the door was opened a lot of time for people. I booked a twin privet room for two nights and when we arrived (at 1:00h) the room was ocupated for 4 more people to two beds.. Finally we found a room with 4 free individual beds and we could sleep. In the morning, we spoke with the main staff and she was very worried about that we could find another hostel for that night and we left.

The security of the hotel consists of a door code to enter the building, a flat key and a room key plus CCTV so there is not much more we can do to make it safer than this. There was a large group staying with hostel this day and they were staying in the wrong room. We made arrangements for you at 1am arrival. In the morning I spoke with you and gave you £50 towards a new hotel for the 2nd night which we felt was very helpful to you and covered any confusion with the group.

Great stay!! Very close to the castle, just in the heart of Edinburgh, perfect aswell if you are looking for pubs to take a pint. The room was simple but clean, i got surprised when i discovered each apartment had a kitchen wich i could cook my food with no stress. Staff was kind and a mix of diferents cultures and languages, wich was useful for me. Totally recommended

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Good hostel in a good position in the city center. Organized in flat and with fully furnished kitchens. Free luggage deposit also after your leaving. Final evaluation 7.

• 4th Oct 2014

Almost in the centre of Edinburgh. Hostel has several street entrances beside the reception. And inside is divided into "flats". I stayed on the 1st floor in the 112 entrance. The "flat" had, if I do not mistake, 5 rooms. My one had 6 beds (3 bunks). The "flat" had 2 showers and 2 WC and 1 well equipped kitchen, where every evening met several people to eat and to discuss. I enjoyed my stay there.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have some great guests and long term guests staying in the hostel and it was great you made friends and used the kitchen area for social gatherings, because that's what they are for :)

Hi! The hostel was ok, but I have NEVER slept in such a load place. It felt like sleeping on a high-way plus the (expected) background screaming of the drunks... Wouldn't book it again, though the price is great and staff was nice.

• 2nd Oct 2014

I am sorry you experienced such a loud night in the hostel. It is on a road and in the heart of the night life so noise is to be expected. It is a shame you felt you had to leave such a low rating for us due the fact your only complaint was noise. This is not something we can control, however we can control a great price and great staff which is what we do! :)

Great for young folk, not so great for families who need sleep. Pub right across the road from our room.

• 29th Sep 2014