Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel, staff is very polite and room was clean. Itsl like a flat like hostel.huge kitchen as well. Would recommend it.

the hostel had a great service and the rooms were very good to stay in minor complaint in the room it self maybe something to put your jackets on to

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Belgium

Great Hostel, Shower was Hot Cold Hot Cold, and every Room key unlocks every room, at least in the same appartment. Great location, would come here again very likely cheers

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Austria
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Great location in the centre of Edinburgh, with lovely, friendly staff. Great, free fringe festival venue just across the road, with several bars nearby, so a little noise is to be expected. Either pack some ear plugs, or go out and take advantage of the location, rather than having a grump about the noise. Overall, excellent value for money, and don't forget if you want polished, high quality rooms a hostel is not for you!

• 18th Aug 2014

Average hostel with decent security, convenient city location, comfortable rooms (extortionately priced for the Fringe Festival) and an interesting apartment-style layout which worked well. Unfortunately let down by their lack of bathroom cleaning - ours were pretty gross and unnecessarily messy.

Thank you for your comments. The fringe festival sees all the hostels and hotels increase in price but we are by far the cheapest still in the city. Regarding cleaning, the bathrooms are cleaned in the morning for a quick fresh up and thoroughly cleaned everyday between 10am-2pm. If guests make a mess of the bathrooms after this, it is just a problem sometimes in a busy season with lots of people using facilities.

Right in the heart of Old Town, just a block from the Royal Mile. Perfect venue to stay at for the festival!

Good hostel, was a great location when visiting the Edinburgh fringe festival, and the staff recommended some great shows and venues whilst we were there! No complaints :)

• 14th Aug 2014

No complaints from us either! :) Lovely to have you and so glad you enjoyed the shows we recommended!

lockers would have been nice

• 10th Aug 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hostel because it was in the perfect part of the city near the Royal Mile. However the rooms needed to be swept and there was only one shower in each flat for about 30 people to share. I also wish there was more of a common area to meet other people. There wasn't a good community area so I hardly met any new people while I was there. Other than those three things, the hostel was pretty good.

• 10th Aug 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The showers are to share between 14 people in your flat not 30 people. The biggest flat we have sleeps 20 and this has 2 showers. We do now have a common area outside which is a fab new courtyard for socialising so hopefully if you come back you will find this improvement. The rooms are swept and hoovered each day however during festival when rooms are very full with bag and people its harder to get in there but it is cleaned everyday!

The hostel has a perfect location, pretty close to all the atmosphere Edinburgh has. People working there are kind and helpful, as all the scottish people I met around. It´s clean, has a good kitchen but no lockers, though I didn´t find it was insecure at all. There´s a good pub just in front of the door, perfect if you want to enjoy the night life there, and if not, it really does´t bother if you are sleeping in the opposite side of the house. I really recommend it.

no lockers suck when you are travelling with something of value however you can leave stuff in reception overnight. very basic hostel with not much to offer, hopefully you end up in a dorm with some interesting people. Otherwise great location, very central

Lack of personal lockers. Even a lockable roll-out box under the beds would have worked. It'd encourage people to put their stuff away, and it'd give me peace-of-mind to leave my stuff in the room. The shower-room at the front, next to my bedroom did not get any hot water which was disappointing. On top of that, there were no bathmats. You could put the hand towel on the floor but then you'd leave a soggy towel. The tiles were cracked from people slipping. No common room = no fun

Thank you for your comments. We are gradually upgrading the hostel and we do not have lockers at present. This is noted at your booking stage. We hope to have them in the near future. We do have a common room being opened in the next week or so and we hope everytone can really enjoy this new area! We did get shower mats but they were to slippy so we are ordering wooden ones instead but for now towels can be used. All showers are hot, its so busy with the festival the water needed to reheat

The staff shined here, making sure to help in any way needed. The facilities were in a bit of disrepair, curtain falling off, bad water temperature in the shower and eclectic kitchen equipment. Overall good location if a bit hard to get to.

I am so glad you found the staff shiny!! :) We are always trying to improve the hostel. During the festival when the hostel is fully booked every day the water temperature can go hot and cold sometimes due to volumes of people using it. I'm not sure what you mean about kitchen electrial equipment, it is checked and can be replaced easily. The location is in the old town! fantastic for the Fringe festival!!:)

The hostel was really nice and every apartment has a kitchen. The only problem was that our room didn't have a window so after a couple of days it became really hard to breath, especially when you think that we had our towels to dry with us in the room. The location is excellent: it takes 5 minutes to go to Royal Mile.

I see you stayed on the ground floor which does have a window but due the level of the building it doesnt have an open window. We understand during the summer it can get a little stuffy (when we get some sun) and I am sorry if you experienced this. Please note there are windows in the back, kitchen and toilet, however the bedroom is not an open window for secuirty.

Yes, this hostel is right across the street from a fun bar, but the noise wasn't that bad. If you're a light sleeper, you probably shouldn't be sleeping in a hostel. The security was fantastic! There was a lock on the front door, on the apartment door and on the room door. The showers were fine and surprisingly clean. The location is great as it is centrally located (maybe on the outskirts of the center, but still the center!)

Staff were friendly and helpful. Facilities were kept clean. Perfect location for the fringe!

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Wales

I couldnt of said it better myself :) Thank you so much for the great review! I know all the staff are working really double hard over the festival time. Hope you enjoyed the Fringe :)

Hostel is in a very good location, but the street is noisy until at least 3am. I was in one of the flats around the side of the hostel, you needed a code and two keys to get in, but there are no lockers in the room itself. The facilities were good, two showers and one toilet between four people, but they are slightly run down. Note that the fire alarm is 8.30am on a Monday (why?)! Plan your nights out wisely!

Thank you for your feedback. The alarm has to be done at 8.30am monday morning to coincide with the lawyers office above us. This is the only time we can do it! Sorry but it is for your safety :) Thanks

I felt that the hostel was expensive for 2 night but since it was during the fringe festival it can be considered reasonable.

• 1st Aug 2014

All hostels in Edinburgh are on premium rates during August for the Fringe. Our usual rates are around £10-12 a night for a dorm which is one of the cheapest in the city! :)

It was nice to stay at Cowgate Hostel. The room was tidy and cousy. And it is nice, that there are flats, which are linked together. It seemes like this, it is a bit more quiet, than in a big building, where everybody can go everywhere. The fridge in the kitchen was unfortunately very dirty and the shelfes broken. And I was not sure, how people new, not to take other peoples food. Maybe this can get sorted out for the future. But still: a nice stay and I recommend this hostel.

Great, friendly staff at were really welcoming and very helpful. Good tip for amazing local breakfast. Location is perfect. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 31st Jul 2014

So glad you enjoyed our brekkie recommendation! and thank you so much for a great review :) Your amazing!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6