Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Thank you for everything. I am very satisfied for all of service you did for me.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure to have you :)

Super friendly staff and great location. A bit of a shortage of bathroom facilities on each floor considering the number of people, but otherwise no problem.

Yes we are super friendly, thank you for noticing :) You have 2 showers in your apartment and at the weekend when we are full you will share with upto 20 people. The ratio is pretty normal for hostels in Edinburgh and not everyone will shower at once. When the apartments are not full this is a bonus for you, more shower time :)

I'd recommend the place. The hostel is in a really convenient location and the flats and rooms are quite private (at least comparing to the other hostel I once stayed in). The bar outside the window may be a problem for light sleepers, but it didn't bother us at all - we were too tired and happy to care about the noise. Besides, it was easy to kill it by closing the window. The staff was super-nice and helpful, even though they weren't much familiar with the attractions outside the city:P

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Poland

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff super friendly :) :)

Staff really friendly. Good location. They need to improve cleanliness. General speaking good value for money

• 8th Jul 2014

Thank you for commenting on the Hostel :) The cleaners do take pride in the job and cleana every flat every day! However, this is a hostel so people will use the facilities of kitchen and showers during the day so at some point it will not be perfect. However the next day, they come and clean it all again :) We also do morning checks and clear any mess we can before the cleaners arrive to make you sparkle!

There aren't any personal lockers so if you want to lock your stuff up you have to use this weird communal lock up that reception has a key for. None of my stuff got stolen but it's not the piece of mind you want when you leave

• 28th Jun 2014

Thank you for your comments on the luggage area. After check out you are not obliged to leave your bags in reception however if you are happy to use the lock system we have we are happy to keep them for you. You would need to have a lock on your bag as this is much better security and any small bags that do not lock can be left behind the reception desk.

Awesome location and very easy to find. Overall great hostel.

Your awesome! :)

We stayed 4 nights in the hostel, in a 4-bed room. Everything was good but, we think that it would improve a little bit, if in the room it were some lockers, or little wardroves, hangers, chairs... a little bit of stuff to make the stay better. About the showers, in a couple of times it happened that it was just one working, so it was quite slow to have a shower in the appartment. The staff was great, and we have no problems at all.

Thank you for your feedback. W e also hope to have these luittle extras in the future. The showers do work. There is a red switch outside which must be turned on for the electric. Im glad you had a good time here :)

The location was fantastic! Didnt really use the kitchen, but it looks decent. The only inconvenience is that there were only two sockets in the dorm that I was assigned to. I was not able to charge my phone unless I used the one at the corridor.

We do have sockets in rooms, hallways and kitchens. Im sorry if you found the one in your room to be busy and if you check behind beds you normally will find some more :)

Stayed here monday-tuesday after a late arrival to the airport and to continue to Glasgow the next day. Very loud location. Not because of partying people, but because the road is actually quite busy, as hotels and bars along the road get deliveries and decide to recycle empty bottles at crazy hours. In addition road works started in the morning right in front our window. Never slept so little in a hotel.

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • Scotland

I am sorry you expereinced this noise during your stay! It is not nice that the council did this at an early hour!!! I must state that this is not the case everyday and the road works are no longer in front of the hostel. It is a busy street in general but a fine location for the old town. I hope if you stay again you will not have this problem and we can always try and book you a room at the back of the hostel.

We stayed one night. The girl at reception helped a lot about what to visit around Edinburgh. The hostel was really clean, had a great atmosphere and the location is pretty good.

Thank you so much for your great review :)

The toilet was dirty and because there was public viewing on the opposite of the hostel room we could not open the window at night, so we smelled our room partners very strong...

• 19th Jun 2014

The toilet became blocked and was unblocked for you straight away. There was no reason for you not to open the window. The window pushes open and there are curtains to block any views you didn't want.

May seem like a small point, but it would definitely be worth asking people when they make a reservation at the hostel whether they snore or not. Although the hostel was lovely and the bed was comfortable, I did not appreciate being frequently woken up by a number of snorers, it then taking a while to get back to sleep. If possible it is certainly a wise idea to separate the snorers and non-snorers to make it easier to sleep!

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad you found the hostel lovely. We are however not able to ask people if they snore and allocate rooms this way. This is not something any hostel is allowed to do. We do sell ear plugs for £1 in reception if they are ever needed.

It's the best value for money hostel in Edinburgh. It's like living in your own appartment (with friends to share a room with and other people that you might meet in the kitchen or corridor!) Highly recommeded! ******************************************************************* El mejor albergue de Edimburgo en relación calidad-precio. Es como vivir en tu propio apartamento pero compartiendo habitación con tus amigos y conociendo a gente en la cocina o en el pasillo. Muy recomendable.

• 15th Jun 2014
  • Spain

I am really happy your group enjoyed your stay in two of our flats. We loved having you and welcome you back very soon :)

Both of the showers in flat 1 are not working. In addition, so many people are sharing only two showers.

There are 2 showers in flat 1 and they were both working. One of them had a temperature problem but was functional and this was fixed when reported.

I've been in many hostels around the world , this is one of the worst I've ever seen, it's extremely basic (even for a hostel), unclean, the windows, apart from being cracked, would not close properly, the stairs leading to the rooms stank and the general atmosphere was so sad & decrepit it made you want to go look immediately for another place. The common area is, again, a little kitchen, so you can't socialize (nor I would touch the cups etc.). Never going back.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience here. I would like to point out that the apartment you stayed in consisted of a fully equipped kitchen between 14 people, a shower and 2 toilets which I don't feel is basic. The hostel is cleaned every day so anything that was unclean is made by other guests during the night. The reception is newly decorated and not shabby at all and offers free tea and coffee and not meant to be a common area and it is cleaned every hour by reception staff.

I was only staying the one night, I was doing tough mudder in Dalkeith, the staff were so helpful and kind, they allowed me to come back in after I checked out to have a shower and cook some food after tough mudder which they really didn't have to, best hostel in town I certainly will be returning!!!!

• 13th Jun 2014

Thank you for your great review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and did so well at tough mudder :) We are always happy to help :) Hope to see you again next year!

one bathroom for several flat within 6 beds in each one is not enough.

• 7th Jun 2014

There is one shower per 14 people in an apartment. There are 2 showers per apartment with 16-22 people. We find the showers are not really a problem as people shower at different times and the apartments are not always fully booked with maximum numbers. Each apartment also has its own kitchen which is very unique for a hostel and the dorm room bedroom sizes are a good size.

Extremely loud at night! Popular bar across the street! Good if you want to party!

The hostel staff were grest and really ffiendly they keep the place really ckean as well will definitly using the hostel again

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

You were great and its so nice to see your comment on how clean we are because we are clean and super friendly!! :)

Excellent hostel great location, and easy to get to, clean rooms and kitchen was good only draw back no lockers but apart from that its a great stay better than ive had there in edinburgh before from other hostels

• 2nd Jun 2014

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm glad you had an great stay and we are hoping to get lockers in the future!....improvements always being made :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5