Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very friendly staff. The facilities weren't very clean though and you wouldn't want to look up at the mold in the showers. Location wasn't bad but it was in the rougher area. But they did have triple locks to get into your room. Plus there was a party going on across the street both nights we stayed. The price was very cheap though.

The location is very convenient, especially if you're planning on visiting bars, pubs and clubs. In general I enjoyed my stay, although beat in mind that there are no safety lockers, not in the rooms or the reception. Also, if you're in a rush in the morning and you want to take a shower, get up fast because one shower for the whole flat is not much.

The hostel was great and the location perfect. It was close to the Royal Mile (main street in the Old Town) and in the best street to go out, there is a pub just in front of the hostel, so if you are looking for a quiet place... maybe it's not the best!

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Spain

The staff were great, really friendly and helpful. The hostel is structured like separate apartments, rather than a big communal building which meant that within the hostel itself was quite quiet and calm (not lots of people running around the halls!). Outside of the hostel was another story, however, as it is opposite a pub with a busy beer garden and there was a guy busking (on a trumpet!) til the wee hours. Friends have told me that rooms at the back of the building are quieter tho.

• 5th Sep 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here, the location is spot on, very close to the city centre, exactly what you want. Staff was friendly, the cost was very affordable, ideal for students. Well done Cowgate!

• 5th Sep 2014
  • Romania
  • All Male Group, 25-30

There was two showers for a floor full of people, one didn't work so the wait for a shower was painful. Was alright for a quick one night stop, but wouldn't recommend for longer stays. Wifi was painfully bad as well.

There should be a room in each flat where everyone could relax and talk and simply meet.

It smelled absolutely horrendous.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Very nice hostel! very clean,and a perfect value for money! --the kitchen is very useful ( u can also meet people) + bathroom clean! -the noise of the pub across the street is not a problem cauz it closes at 3am and you 're usually out at this time! -Read bad comments before booking but this place is one of the best (everything's new inside)+ famous in Edinburgh (Cowgate street) where you can find all the pubs nearby+(city center 10min walk) staff very friendly they're awesome! RECOMMEND IT!!

The hostel is well organized and the staff is incredibly helpful. I believe that the only thing would be to have a 24h reception to make it even better.

It was really hard to get any sleep in the room I stayed in with all the noise from bars and cars outside. Without earlplugs it would have been totally unbearable, with earlplugs only near-unbearable... This they should have warned me about somehow. Also I am not sure how clean the mattress, pillows and duvet really was...

• 1st Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Really good hostel. Located very centrally, being within short walking distance to all attractions. The kitchen was amazing. I would highly recommend this hostel - especially if you're on a budget and want value for money.

I had a great stay. One staff person was very nice, and another was mistreating customers. She was very rude to people who were unable to communicate well in English and was impatient when they tried to ask questions. I'm glad she wasn't the one who assisted me. The staff person who helped me was very kind and helpful. Overall the stay was good, the rooms were good and the kitchen very good.

• 29th Aug 2014

Great hostel, staff is very polite and room was clean. Itsl like a flat like hostel.huge kitchen as well. Would recommend it.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and decided to stay long stay with us :) Please let us know if you need anything as we are always happy to help :)

The location was awesome as you can reach all important places within minutes by walking. I also liked the concept of having different flats with a number of shared rooms in each. However, there were no lockers so you couldn't lock your things away and always had to carry them around with you. Also I was sleeping in a bunk bed and didn't have a railing which didn't make me sleep very confidently. But for a few nights I would definitely stay there again.

I am glad to hear you would stay with us again despite any negative feedback. We do not have lockers, however please dont carry your items around with you all day, many people just leave them safely in reception.

Our stay at Cowgate was excellent. The location was great, especially during the fringe festival, and the rooms were very private and clean. The facilities were second to none.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the amazing Fringe Festival! Thank you so much for the great review :)

Really friendly staff and hostel is in a great location near bars and clubs. Dorms are spacious and clean, kitchen is big. No lockers in rooms but security doors and keys are given to room. Would be good to have a common area, which I think they have just introduced as an outdoor courtyard. Overall really enjoyed our stay here!

Very good location near Royal Mile with good facilities.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • India

the hostel had a great service and the rooms were very good to stay in minor complaint in the room it self maybe something to put your jackets on to

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Belgium

We went during the Fringe and the location was amazing for it. It was very close to all the best places to see free comedy shows and classic Edinburgh sights, too. The one thing Cowgate is lacking is a general hang-out area. Theres a detached outdoor courtyard which wasnt bad but it gets too chilly to stay at all night.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7