Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Free drinks provided.

Yes we do provide free tea and coffee in reception from 8am - 11pm :)

The toilets were really cold. Came out freezing all time. The hostel is beside a big big pub which can be good and bad thing. Staff were excellent and friendly. There was little wifi in the reception building. Really close to the walking tour meeting point and 12 minutes to waverley station.

Im sorry you found the toilets cold, with the tiled floors it can be a little chilly on the feet! We do have our private log in for reception WIFI so please ask and we will happily let you share it while you're in reception. I hope you enjoyed the Sandemans walking tour and i am glad you found the staff very friendly!

More toilets would be nice.

• 1st May 2015
  • All Male Group, 41+

We were booked to stay two nights but only stayed one because of an incredibly obnoxious group of people who made the most noise. They were banging on doors at 5am! The hostel layout makes it a bit difficult to socialise as the floors are separated by apartments so the atmosphere is lacking but it's in a great spot as it's very close to some awesome bars. Staff were really helpful when we complained about the noisy group and because they couldn't move us they refunded our 2nd night.

Yes we are sorry about that group but glad you still enjoyed the hostel and the staff and satisfied with the outcome! We want everyone to be happy :) We have an outdoor social area which is great so hopefully now the sun is shining more we will have more parties there :))

Toilets and showers should be cleaned at least 2 times a day with as many people in the dorms.

• 21st Apr 2015
  • Bulgaria

We do a morning clean of the hostel every day at 8am and then a full clean everyday between 10am and 2pm. The showers are shared however the ratio is very low compared to many other hostels in the city.

Only 1 shower for the whole apartment... Too many people using it, couldn't take a shower in the morning before leaving. The rest was ok!, but going back to Edinburgh I will try another hostel I guess

Thank you for your feedback. The apartment 104/2 has 1 shower for a maximum of 14 people. Please bear in mind the apartments are not always fully occupied but when they are you may find a wait for the shower. Compared to other hostels the ratio is not bad. Please be aware that in hostels you are sharing facilities and there maybe a wait sometimes.

Pleasant stay and good location. noisy pub in front for the rooms facing the street

Very noisy up to 5 am. It´s just opposite of some bars, nice for party people, bad for families and others. There have been six guests in a room booked for four. I guess it´s not very secure because you are able to do so and there are no lockers. There are better hostels for the same price....

The Cowgate is a busy street and at weekends it can be noisy sometimes. You did book a 4 bed dorm and the other 2 people in your room may of had a friend stay there from what you say. I will contact them about this as this is not allowed and please tell reception if you see this, so we can remove any people if needed. Thank you and sorry you did not seem to enjoy your stay with us

Great location and easy to find! No lockers in the rooms, but outlets near most of the beds. The street was a little noisy at night. It has an interesting apartment set up that would be good for larger groups - mine had 3 bedrooms with a shared kitchen, two showers, and two toilets that could all be used independently of one another.

Thank you for the review. You are right the apartment is ideal for groups and can be booked as 1 bed, a room or the whole apartment at a great price for all :) We hope to have lockers in the future and again we apologise for street noise, this is hard to control for city locations

it was a great experience staying in cowgate hostel. I will come back again if i visit Edinburgh and also recommend my friends. thank you.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Pakistan

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was such a pleasure to meet you :)

Good to be near Grassmarket but right opposite a large pub, very noisy at 3am when we arrived back. Uninviting kitchen, pretty battered cupboards, dirty fridge, freezer totally frosted up so you couldn't even see the drawers. No sitting area/lounge.

Being located opposite a vibrant bar unfortunately is out of our control and I am sorry if you had some noise problems. The kitchen does have a sitting area of tables, chairs and sofas and we have a large outdoor area seating 120 people. The kitchen is in great working order, I am sorry the freezer did need defrosting and this is now done. The hostel is cleaned everyday but fridges do get full up and I am sorry as it was a fully booked weekend it may not of been to a high standard sharing fridge

Hostel was in a great location. Was very expensive for what was provided. Stayed in a double room as that is all we could afford and for one night paid £78. Not the sort of prices you should pay for a hostel even if you are in a double room.

I must say you did stay with us Easter weekend so this is why the prices were increased as all hostels do for the holiday weekends. Usually we are very cheap and offer great value for money :)

the staff was very helpfull. the only bad thing is that the shower was too cold or too hot

I am sorry you had a hot or cold shower. this is a problem sometimes and I will get on to maintenance again to try and solve this problem. Thank you for the feedback!

Location was fantastic and bedding was good. Bathrooms were very unkept. Bunks had no cages for locking you luggage in and the dorms smelt damp. Value for money as it was dirt Chris and for one night but I would not recommend more than that. Staff were okay, and the hostel has a very quiet vibe. Overall not too shabby !

We do not have lockers for storage (please check facilities list before you book) BUT can offer you to leave laptops,etc in reception or lock up bags in reception as an alternative. We hope to have lockers in the future. We do some nights have big parties in the outdoor area now summer is coming but the night you stayed it was quiet for atmosphere. The lower ground flats can get stuffy so we have fitted in some new fans. We will keep on improving with feedback! Thank you

The hostel is very good and very well located. It was nice to get free coffe and tea as well. The staff is brilliant (they make you feel at home) and everybody around there is very nice. Congratulations to the staff :)

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Spain

Thank you so much!! We do try hard to make you happy and it seems to have worked! :)

The staff were diligent and respectful. The room itself was below expectations. The room in which my party were staying didn't feel clean. There was only one shower between 4 6-person dorms, so queue in morning was irritating, and otheer guests left their clothes in the toilets (2). Kitchen had dirty dishes etc in sink, a broken couch, and a chair that collapsed on one of my party members without warning. No safety boxes present in room. Good location but situated beside busy nightlife spot.

• 21st Mar 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I am sorry you found the apartment below standard. We are waiting to remove the sofas at the moment and due to the very busy rugby weekend the apartment was full. We can not control leaving clothes in the bathrooms and we did the washing up twice a day to try and help out. It is self catering apartments so all guests have to chip in and help out and guests must be aware they are sharing facilities with others, not like a hotel. However I feel with the rugby weekend it was worse than usual.

Excellent, me and six of my friends stayed for a hen night and it was fantastic. We had a six bedroom with a mattress brought in to ourselves. Room was clean and comfy, very secure enough one of the girls went back early and stayed alone till we got in. Staff were friendly and helpful. This was the first time any of us had stayed in a hostel and would well recommend it! Brilliant price too.

• 14th Mar 2015

Thanks Girls! So glad you had a great stay and enjoyed so much your hen party! Hopefully you will return to us one day for a holiday! :)

The feedback from my group is that they were very happy with the hostel. It was excellent value for money, in an very central (slightly noisy at 4am) location. The rooms were clean and safe and I would definitely return with a similar group.

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Wales

Our hostel is perfect for groups so I am glad you had a happy experience here with us :) You are welcome back anytime!

The people staying at the hostel were really nice and fun!! The guys at the reception were really nice as well and really helpful :D Good hostel and really clean. I felt at home

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Argentina

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We think of this hostel like a big family and we are happy you agree :)

The most of the staff are nice and frindly except one boy of them who is not patient with people dont speak english

I am sorry about this and I will speak with him about this. He also is not a native English speaker so I am surprised by this, but I will bring up your concern, thank you!

« first « Prev 1 2 3