Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Average hostel with decent security, convenient city location, comfortable rooms (extortionately priced for the Fringe Festival) and an interesting apartment-style layout which worked well. Unfortunately let down by their lack of bathroom cleaning - ours were pretty gross and unnecessarily messy.

Right in the heart of Old Town, just a block from the Royal Mile. Perfect venue to stay at for the festival!

Good hostel, was a great location when visiting the Edinburgh fringe festival, and the staff recommended some great shows and venues whilst we were there! No complaints :)

• 14th Aug 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hostel because it was in the perfect part of the city near the Royal Mile. However the rooms needed to be swept and there was only one shower in each flat for about 30 people to share. I also wish there was more of a common area to meet other people. There wasn't a good community area so I hardly met any new people while I was there. Other than those three things, the hostel was pretty good.

• 10th Aug 2014

The hostel has a perfect location, pretty close to all the atmosphere Edinburgh has. People working there are kind and helpful, as all the scottish people I met around. It´s clean, has a good kitchen but no lockers, though I didn´t find it was insecure at all. There´s a good pub just in front of the door, perfect if you want to enjoy the night life there, and if not, it really does´t bother if you are sleeping in the opposite side of the house. I really recommend it.

no lockers suck when you are travelling with something of value however you can leave stuff in reception overnight. very basic hostel with not much to offer, hopefully you end up in a dorm with some interesting people. Otherwise great location, very central

Lack of personal lockers. Even a lockable roll-out box under the beds would have worked. It'd encourage people to put their stuff away, and it'd give me peace-of-mind to leave my stuff in the room. The shower-room at the front, next to my bedroom did not get any hot water which was disappointing. On top of that, there were no bathmats. You could put the hand towel on the floor but then you'd leave a soggy towel. The tiles were cracked from people slipping. No common room = no fun

Thank you for your comments. We are gradually upgrading the hostel and we do not have lockers at present. This is noted at your booking stage. We hope to have them in the near future. We do have a common room being opened in the next week or so and we hope everytone can really enjoy this new area! We did get shower mats but they were to slippy so we are ordering wooden ones instead but for now towels can be used. All showers are hot, its so busy with the festival the water needed to reheat

The staff shined here, making sure to help in any way needed. The facilities were in a bit of disrepair, curtain falling off, bad water temperature in the shower and eclectic kitchen equipment. Overall good location if a bit hard to get to.

I am so glad you found the staff shiny!! :) We are always trying to improve the hostel. During the festival when the hostel is fully booked every day the water temperature can go hot and cold sometimes due to volumes of people using it. I'm not sure what you mean about kitchen electrial equipment, it is checked and can be replaced easily. The location is in the old town! fantastic for the Fringe festival!!:)

The hostel was really nice and every apartment has a kitchen. The only problem was that our room didn't have a window so after a couple of days it became really hard to breath, especially when you think that we had our towels to dry with us in the room. The location is excellent: it takes 5 minutes to go to Royal Mile.

I see you stayed on the ground floor which does have a window but due the level of the building it doesnt have an open window. We understand during the summer it can get a little stuffy (when we get some sun) and I am sorry if you experienced this. Please note there are windows in the back, kitchen and toilet, however the bedroom is not an open window for secuirty.

Yes, this hostel is right across the street from a fun bar, but the noise wasn't that bad. If you're a light sleeper, you probably shouldn't be sleeping in a hostel. The security was fantastic! There was a lock on the front door, on the apartment door and on the room door. The showers were fine and surprisingly clean. The location is great as it is centrally located (maybe on the outskirts of the center, but still the center!)

Staff were friendly and helpful. Facilities were kept clean. Perfect location for the fringe!

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Wales

I couldnt of said it better myself :) Thank you so much for the great review! I know all the staff are working really double hard over the festival time. Hope you enjoyed the Fringe :)

Hostel is in a very good location, but the street is noisy until at least 3am. I was in one of the flats around the side of the hostel, you needed a code and two keys to get in, but there are no lockers in the room itself. The facilities were good, two showers and one toilet between four people, but they are slightly run down. Note that the fire alarm is 8.30am on a Monday (why?)! Plan your nights out wisely!

Thank you for your feedback. The alarm has to be done at 8.30am monday morning to coincide with the lawyers office above us. This is the only time we can do it! Sorry but it is for your safety :) Thanks

I felt that the hostel was expensive for 2 night but since it was during the fringe festival it can be considered reasonable.

• 1st Aug 2014

All hostels in Edinburgh are on premium rates during August for the Fringe. Our usual rates are around £10-12 a night for a dorm which is one of the cheapest in the city! :)

It was nice to stay at Cowgate Hostel. The room was tidy and cousy. And it is nice, that there are flats, which are linked together. It seemes like this, it is a bit more quiet, than in a big building, where everybody can go everywhere. The fridge in the kitchen was unfortunately very dirty and the shelfes broken. And I was not sure, how people new, not to take other peoples food. Maybe this can get sorted out for the future. But still: a nice stay and I recommend this hostel.

Great, friendly staff at were really welcoming and very helpful. Good tip for amazing local breakfast. Location is perfect. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 31st Jul 2014

So glad you enjoyed our brekkie recommendation! and thank you so much for a great review :) Your amazing!

either we didn't get how the shower worked, ot it was the worsed one i ever took :) but overall a very clean, good hostel with extremely friendly staff and an excellent location.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Hi, sorry for your experience with the shower. But there is a red switch either inside or outside the shower that you have to turn on, and Voila :) it's working. For any problem of this kind, please don't hesitate to ask help from our receptionists who will be happy to help you. Regards.

I quite liked my stay at the Cowgate. The location is absolutely perfect- central to all things Old Edinburgh but not too far to walk to new. The rooms are quite big and spacious and I like that it was all separate apartments each with their own kitchen. The staff are really lovely and helpful. The only thing is there is only one shower and two toilets in each apartment, but to be honest I never had to wait long for either when I was there so it wasn't a really a problem for me.

Thank you for your points of: Perfect location, Quiet big rooms. Seperate apartments with their own kitchens, Lovely staff! These are the really great points of the hostel so well noted :) There are 1-2 showers per apartment depending on the occupancy of the flats however like you say most of the time this is not a big issue and you get the comfort of more privacy having a small apartment to share.

Overall great, but noticed staff only changed bottom sheets and not the duvet covered sheets. Not sure how many days passed between duvet cover sheet washing. Other than that great! Wash all sheets!!!!

That toilet was broken and leaked everywhere........but the water was cleaned up every day:)

This tolet is now fixed, sorry for your troubles! and thank you for still leaving a greta review/score! :) we love that!

I just expected it to be slightly cleaner... and there was 1 shower to share between at least 15-20 people.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6