Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

I was only staying the one night, I was doing tough mudder in Dalkeith, the staff were so helpful and kind, they allowed me to come back in after I checked out to have a shower and cook some food after tough mudder which they really didn't have to, best hostel in town I certainly will be returning!!!!

• 13th Jun 2014

Thank you for your great review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and did so well at tough mudder :) We are always happy to help :) Hope to see you again next year!

one bathroom for several flat within 6 beds in each one is not enough.

• 7th Jun 2014

There is one shower per 14 people in an apartment. There are 2 showers per apartment with 16-22 people. We find the showers are not really a problem as people shower at different times and the apartments are not always fully booked with maximum numbers. Each apartment also has its own kitchen which is very unique for a hostel and the dorm room bedroom sizes are a good size.

Extremely loud at night! Popular bar across the street! Good if you want to party!

The hostel staff were grest and really ffiendly they keep the place really ckean as well will definitly using the hostel again

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

You were great and its so nice to see your comment on how clean we are because we are clean and super friendly!! :)

Excellent hostel great location, and easy to get to, clean rooms and kitchen was good only draw back no lockers but apart from that its a great stay better than ive had there in edinburgh before from other hostels

• 2nd Jun 2014

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm glad you had an great stay and we are hoping to get lockers in the future!....improvements always being made :)

The kitchen was so dirty that I refused to cook, eat or even sit in it. The bathroom was full of mould, during the weekend someone vomited into the toilet and didn't clean afterwards. People get access to the floor and shout in the night for 2 hours, trying to smash the room doors. The room itself was clean, however, and one didn't hear the noise of the street. The hostel is central, yes, but more like an expensive room with a toilet and no usable bathroom.

• 30th May 2014
  • Couple, 41+

The kitchens and bathrooms are cleaned twice a day from 8am - 2pm. After these hours if people make a mess it is a real shame. On busy weekends in hostels it is hard to know what your hostel mates will be like and if you ever expereince problems please come to reception and we can clean again in the evening if needed. The private rooms are a bit more expensive but still very cheap compared with hotels in Edinburgh City centre and dorm rooms are the cheapest in town!

Despite the noise due to its location opposite a pub with giant TV screen and regular loud passer-byes throughout the night, this hostel is very conveniently located in the centre of the old town. The apartment has a big kitchen which is great for self-catering and there wasn't any queueing to use the shower. If looking for atmosphere, you have come to the wrong place. Great for self-catering parties who don't like crowded places. Possibly bring your ear plugs if noise keeps you awake at night.

• 26th May 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Your right it is perfect for self catering clients and groups of friends, school groups, etc! We have ear plugs in reception in case for just £1.00 :) It was nice to have you stay with us!

This hostel is all apartments. So you get a building, an apartment in the building, and then a room within the apartment. There were only 2 bathrooms for the 3 or 4 rooms (6 or so in each room) but I never had to wait for a bathroom. There is a bar RIGHT OUTSIDE. It was really fun to go to this bar and stumble home, not so fun when there were people SCREAMING at 3:30 in the morning outside my window. I stayed on a weekend and week night, no problem on the week night. All in all, good value.

The hostel is in a good location. Apart from a bit of noise from the bars across the road, it was very quiet and we had two very good night's sleep. There was a lack of atmosphere which was a bit disappointing.

• 25th May 2014

Location: very close to everything, the train station, the Grass Market, ... This has however a downside as it is very noisy at night (our dorm was right in front of a night club.) But I have to say you hear nothing of the other guests ín the hostel, it was just the street.

• 25th May 2014
  • Belgium

All very good. Most of us were running in the Marathon festival so there was a friendly vibe!

Im glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you did well in the Marathon :)

The facilities were in line with the price, i.e. basic. There was lots of noise - first from a large pub adjacent to the hostel and then from a party of other hostel guests who didn't quieten down until 4am. However, these issues were more than made up for by super friendly and helpful staff.

• 24th May 2014

The weekend you stayed with us was the busiest of the year with many rugby supporters so I do apologise for any noise you found. Im glad you found the staff so good that this made up for this problem :)

Stayed here for one night before the Edinburgh marathon last week. Booked a two-bed room with shared shower There was literally a bunk bed and a bin in the room, that was it. bunk bed was missing it's ladder so I had to help my friend onto the top bunk and the bed wobbled violently and had slats missing. Other people staying in the flat were drunken idiots - screamed, shouted, threw glass bottles at 3am. Only stay here as a base to get wasted, nothing else! No idea how to contact staff. Awful

• 24th May 2014

I am so sorry you had a bad time here, please do not judge by the 24th May weekend. It was the busiest weekend of the year with rugby, football, stag parties and marathon all happening in the city. There is a 24 hour on call number to call staff if you have problems/emergencies in the night. The bedrooms are basic and just have beds. Some rooms have wardrobes, etc, however it is a hostel so most rooms just have a bed. Fully equipped kitchens with tables/sofas and bathrooms to share in each flat.

Very expensive for 1 nights stay @ £50pp! Prices were probably increased due to it being EMF weekend.

• 24th May 2014

스탭들이 친절하고 시설도 좋음. 엘리베이터가 없다는것은 조금 불편함.

Great value for money, great location, and friendly, helpful staff. Only problem was the cleanliness: some people left the kitchen in poor condition, and we only got our room cleaned properly once during our 3-week stay. Couldn't open the window too much either, because pidgeons would enter our room (which was on the first floor)! Anyway, we didn't expect too much, so we were pretty happy with our stay at the Cowgate hostel. :)

• 18th May 2014
  • Finland

As you were a long stay the room is not required to be cleaned everyday, however we did tell you to request at any day you wanted a fresh up! There are pigeons around so the windows can be opened but be careful of the birds coming to make friends :) We were very happy to have you for 3 weeks and it was great having you around!!

Great location, very clean toilets and bathroom. All good apart from the noisy pub just opposite!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I think single beds in double rooms would be better than bunk beds and possibly small set of drawers and a rail to hang clothes would be good. But saying that it is a hostel maybe I'm being a bit fussy would recommend to friends as a economical place to stay in Edinburgh.

• 17th May 2014

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Some of the privates are two single beds and some bunk beds depending on the room size. I must say 95% of private rooms have a wardrobe or set of drawers so I am sorry you had the room without I will try and get something put in there asap. Your not fussy you know what you want, and we think that's awesome :)

Not in the busy street. Good value for money

the walls in the appartment are thin as paper, so you can hear every door and every word that is spoken by other guests. the hostel is located in a busy street so it is quite loud even during the night, then again it is located in the heart of the old town. very positive was the big kitchen, which was well equipped and clean. the furniture in the double room was very simple, there was not even a table or a chair, only the bed and one closet