Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

We opted for a mixed dorm thinking it would be a good ratio. We were stuck with 4 fully grown men, which I didn't consider very safe. The door of our room didn't lock properly. The kitchen facilities were good however they were always a mess. The location of the hostel however was great, right in the centre of old town

Our hostel is all mixed dorms and this does mean you can be in a room with any ratio of male and female. I think it's unfair to say having men in your room means you are not safe. If for any reason you felt that way you could of spoke to reception and we could of given you more of a background on your room mates. All doors do lock as they are checked everyday. The kitchens are cleaned everyday, however at weekends when we are fully booked the kitchens are used more often.

Good kitchen, good mattress, good shower. Average pillows. No lockers. A good point is that my flight delayed and I arrived at the hostel after the check-in time, so we called the number indicated and the staff came to help us in a short time, and she was very polite and helpful.

Cowgate tourism hostel is a very good place to stay, the hostel is in a very good location. In the heart of the city, you can enjoy free tours and enjoy the good atmosphere of bars and night-clubs. The staff is ALWAYS here for you if there's any problem during the day. You can also book a trip (Inverness, Lochness, Stirling) to the reception. I really enjoyed my stay to the hostel and have no regret ! I will definitely come back !

• 29th Jan 2014

My friends & I have stayed here a few times & we will most certainly be returning as it has by far the best value for your money depending on what you are looking to get out of you stay. For us it's always about the location, only seconds from a handful of great bars & clubs. My only complaint was the security, we found on returning to the hostel after hrs that our codes to get back in didn't work & this happened the last time we stayed also, not ideal at 3am!!!

• 25th Jan 2014
  • Scotland

Thank you for your comments. I would just like to note the codes do work however the door lock did have a problem which was fixed straight away.

Unfortunately there is nothing in the room to put your things on,what about chairs, shelves,a wardrobe or at least clothes hangers/ racks/ pegs,etc

• 23rd Jan 2014
  • Poland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Thank you for comments. As people nrmally just stay a night or two this is not normally a problem. Our longer stay flats do have wardrobes and so do private rooms. There are tables and chairs in all kitchens. Hopefully in the future we can expand on furniture, however we do not want to take away from floor space.

Amazing hostel, everything is so clean, good showers, awesome kitchen e nice price. I recommend.

ITS CHEAP AND YOU RECEIVE WHAT YOU PAY

The heater was broken, so we were cold for two nights... Sheets were dirty. Shower was bad, However, it was very cheap, it's close enough to Waverley Station and the centre and kitchen was clean... good value for money, in general, but just because it is really cheap.

• 2nd Jan 2014

None of the heathers are broken. If they are not on or not hot enough you just need to speak to reception and we will sort it for you. Beds are changed but if you feel the beds are dirty we have clean bedding in reception and there is a sign in the flat explaining this. Again we had no complaints about the shower. The showers work fine and if any faults are reported they are checked and fixed. I feel it is very unfair to give bad reviews when you do not give us the opportunity to fix any faults.

It's a really nice hostel. Our rooms were in the next building, a few steps from the reception desk. The staff (the girl) was really kind. The price is completely lower than it should be. The facilities were nice. Our rooms were very confortables. I RECCOMEND IT.

We stayed in Cowgate hostel for 4 days and we're entirely happy with our choice. The location of the hostel is so perfect for us to travel around Edinburgh, its close to almost every place we wanted to visit. Especially it also offers free tour which was very convenient for us to not only get to know more about the city but save money too. Who doesn't like "free tour"?!

The rooms have no ensuite bathroom, although it's not very clear in hostelworld website. Staff are really friendly and helpful. There isn't any place to hang or keep your things in the room. The kitchen is too small for the number of people that use to be there. For me this hostel is just the minimum I require: it's clean enough and there are no big noises during the night.

The rooms are not ensuite and it states on hostel world a shared bathroom. In the rooms you will find some have wardrobes but not all rooms do. The rooms are very spacious and there is lots of space under the beds. The kitchens are shared and would be a maximum of 20 people which is very good for a hostel. Im glad you found the staff helpful and generally enjoyed your stay with us.

Good stay experience. We definitely halt in the same place during my next visit.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • India

When we went there was a huge party in the flat. All the rubish from the party (beers, wishkey..etc) stayed for 1 day until the cleaner came in in the afternoon. The staff was nice and helpful when we asked them for some locations, however they should improve the security to avoid this kind of things.

• 13th Dec 2013
  • Spain

I am sorry that there was a party in your flat. The dorm rooms in your flat were allocated to students as part of a 90 person booking over the hostel. People in hostels do sometimes have parties and if this is too much you should then ring the 24 hour number and the staff can come and check the situation. The cleaners start work at 10-2pm and during this time will come to every flat and tidy up any mess. They would of reached your flat asap but have 10 flats to clean over the day.

Dirty sheets!!!

Despite bad feedbacks on cleanliness, we found our bedding and toilets very clean. Excellent location, righ in the centre of Edinburgh so you can reach any place in about 5 or 10 minutes walking. The noise was the most overwhelming thing, it lasted all night long (until 5 in the morning), in fact there's a disco pub just in front of the hostel. In sum I totally recommend this hostel for those who look for the best deal. Francesca (Italy)

Thank you for your comments. We now have new bedding and big bouncy pillows so I am glad you noticed how much cleaner they are. The location is fantastic, however you are right and we are in front of a large pub, which on the weekends gets very busy. We have requested the music be lower and are looking into this further. I am sorry on behalf of the bar if the noise disturbed your stay.

Another fantastic night spent at the Cowgate Hostel!

Located in the heart of the city: very close to the Castle and the Museum of Scotland. Nearby there is a large grocery store. The rooms are large, the kitchen is very spacious and it can be used a block of three rooms. Upon arrival, the room was very cold, but within a half days the air warmed, but the shower and toilet are always cold, as the window is not closed. Across the road from the hostel - a pub, so avoid staying here on a Friday night - noisy as if you sleep at the stadium.

Place looked dirty, smell was terrible. Took me ages to find the place cause the indications provided to find it were mostly wrong. Awful installations, will never go back. Fortunately I only stayed one night.

Excellent hostel - friendly and helpful staff, great central location and pretty nice facilities. Add in the cheap prices and it's a good deal. The place is slightly run down, but they seem to be working on it (they've just painted the reception) and it's still great value for money.

The hostel is tidy, has free wifi and a nice ambiance, the staff are very friendly and the rooms are more spacious than elsewhere. The Hostel is located in the Heart of Edinburgh with everything you need accessible on foot and they offer a number of tours to see the sights and scenery of Scotland if you're so inclined.The hostel is unbeaten on price and is the best hostel to stay in long term though you may find yourself having to move on the weekends as the place gets booked out by Rugby fans.

• 10th Nov 2013