Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

good hostel

Thank you for safety room.

You can not give me what I need !!! No one is able to give me that.

I am glad you found this spirit! Thank you my friend!

The room was cold and drafty--the window was cracked open and wouldn't close which was frustrating when I came back from being caught in the rain and all I wanted was to warm up a bit. Loved the complimentary tea and coffee and baggage hold. One of the staff members was super nice and helpful, another did not seem knowledgable/could not answer many of my questions.

• 28th Feb 2015

I am so sorry about the window and this has now been replaced with new glass. I'm glad you love the FREE tea and coffee :) We do have a new staff member who is still learning so I hope you managed to find everything you needed in the end.

Great location and nice staff but apart from that the place is thoroughly grubby and run down. The walls, sheets and towels all had various staining. The curtains fell off the railing as soon as touched. The beds were uncomfy and pretty rickety. Finally the showers were terrible, water trickling out and not even lukewarm water. We were extremely disappointed at our stay, we paid £26 a head for a 6 bed room and all agreed that we would quite happily have paid extra to have stayed somewhere else.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

The cost for our hostel is normally £10/15 a night which is super cheap. The night you stayed was a ruby weekend so all the city was on premium rates so it was £26 but in comparison to other hostels/hotels in the city it was very cheap! The flats have just been painted and all sheets are clean. If we find any sheets stained we will throw them out so i am sorry if you found one. I have checked the showers and if i am honest they are really fine. I wish you would speak to us before

It's really nice that every few rooms have their own kitchen. But room doors need a bit of oil as they're squeaking very loud and the bunk beds don't seem to be very stable as well. Unfortunately you hear and especially notice every movement of the other person.

We do oil the door but will certainly go around the hostel and do the doors and beds again. Thank you for the feedback

Friendly staff, good location. We could walk almost everywhere. Room and entire flat smelled horrible. Not even leaving the window open at all times helped. We stayed in a mixed six bed room. There are no lockers, so no possibility to lock any of your belongings. Not enough sockets. Wireless didn't work with my phone but with the other's devices. Very low water pressure due to damaged hose. We tried to spend as little time as possible in the hostel because the atmosphere wasn't inviting at all.

• 26th Feb 2015

I am glad you found the staff friendly but I am sorry you did not want to be around the hostel too much. As it was a fully booked stay we had to locate you in with the long term guests so I am sorry if this made the room not smell so good. We do not advertise that we have lockers so lease check this before you book. The wifi is always working and if not you must report to reception and the friendly staff will help you. The hose was leaking on the shower and is now fixed.

Bedsheets weren't clean and there was little evidence of communal areas - kitchen/showers etc being regularly cleaned either. No secure luggage storing facilities within rooms which was fine as we had a private room but wouldn't be ideal otherwise.

• 20th Feb 2015

Bedsheets are clean and if you thought they are not please ask reception for new sheets straight away. The hostel is cleaned everyday with love and care. The night you stayed was with a group of 160 students so it was very busy in your apartment. Please consider when you share a communal area this can not be constantly cleaned as it is being used all the time. We do not have lockers but we do have a secure luggage area in reception if and when needed.

To begin, the hostel was in a slightly sketchy part of town, and on top of all that the lock on the door to the room didnt work at all. The facilities could have been nice but they weren't very clean at all. It was okay for one night but I would not stay for any longer. The staff was helpful however when we realized we needed to check out before reception was open for the morning. They gave us our key deposit back and then were helpful with telling us how to return the key in the morning.

We do checks on the hostel everyday and ALL the locks do work. There is a latch system so if it is put on the latch you need to take it back off. Just ask and we can explain this but I must stress that ALL locks do work. The hostel is cleaned everyday and we get great reviews for this. Please bear in mind when you are sharing a hostel that people will make mess and it can not be cleaned 24/7.I am glad you found the staff helpful. If you do have any concerns please ask the staff so we can resolve

The staff were brilliant and extremely friendly. I'll definitely stay there again when in Edinburgh.

• 18th Feb 2015

We are brilliant! Thank you for noticing :)

This is a great budget place to stay! The facilities are very minimal, but it is also very inexpensive to stay there so that didn't bother me or my group. The pubs across the street were certainly loud, but that's all a part of the fun, right?

• 17th Feb 2015

Sure is! :) Edinburgh is all about the fun and beauty...So glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

very friendly staff, comfortable stay

Great to see you stay with us again. Hope to see you soon!

Good bedroom, excelent beds, clean bathroom and hot shower! Very well located, easy access to the main places.

• 8th Feb 2015

Thank you for such a great review! Safe travels :)

I wish I could leave a more positive review, unfortunately I cannot. The location was good when considering distance from everything, however the bars across the street a very loud at night and the windows are quite thin. The bathrooms were good, the showers were near impossible to figure out with very low water pressure. I also woke up to the staff coming in and cleaning the room rudely commenting about how I was in the wrong bed, however someone was already in my assigned bed when I arrived.

I am sorry your stay was not how you wished. We are opposite a bar that can be loud on accasions and we can only offer ear plugs for this im afraid. Im glad you liked the bathrooms and the showers work by just pressing the red switch :) not too complicated, however if you find low pressure please tell reception. We do ask people to sleep in there assigned beds to make house keeping easier however we know this does not always happen in the real world! I am sure they did not mean to be rude. Sorry

The hostel was fine. The lack of a common room was not a problem as the kitchen was a great place to meet people and with The Tinterweb it was easy enough to put on some music. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing it could do with is a washing machine especially as it was eight pounds including soap and the dryer in the local launderette.

• 31st Jan 2015

For the size of the hostel sleeping 168 people we are not able to have a laundry facility that would suit. We have tried in the past but it does not work. There is now a laundry facility 2 minutes from the hostel which lots of people use but yes you are right! It is not too cheap! I am glad you found the hostel fine and you enjoyed your stay with us. Safe travels!

Good stay as usual,nice and quiet,friendly staff

Great to have you stay with us again :) Come back soon

The hostel is next to every attraction you may wanna do. However, there is a pub just across the street and the noise at night is awful because of the lack of double-glazed windows! It's a pity that there is no proper common room area...

I am sorry to hear you experienced some noise from the pub. We are located in a vibrant area and noise can sometimes be heard. We do offer ear plugs in reception for these moments and if possible will locate you in quieter rooms, just check with reception. We do have a common area outside but due to the high winds we were not using it that week, however if you can brave the cold it is a nice area to chat to friends. Please come in the summer and you will see :) Each apartment has a kitchen area

This hostel is very close to town and everything you need to get to. The beds are hard and the bathrooms aren't really that great, but you've got plenty of room in the bedrooms and the common area is nice. The staff is really helpful also.

Beds are not to everyone's comfort and this seems to be an individual matter as some love the beds! :) I am sorry you found them hard and the bathrooms are a little cold in the winter. Thank you for a good scoring of the hostel and appreciating the staff being so helpful :)

Very nice hostel- different from what I have stayed in before. As it was apartment style dorms, there was a lack of atmosphere for single travellers looking to meet lots of people, but as I was with a friend it was a very clean, well equipped hostel in a very good location with great staff. I would still recommend this hostel to single travellers though as they promote a very good pub crawl and tours.

Thank you for your review and I am glad you found the hostel nice :) As you have noted we are an apartment style hostel which is different and we offer clean and well equipped apartments and a very cheap price! plus a fabulous location. We are more than happy to book your bar crawl and day trips! Just ask :)

What do you expect for £11.95 per night. The room was basic, but warm and clean. The building itself is, again, basic, but all the locks work, the street outside was quiet and the stairwells clean. The shower was good, water hot, but the wash bowl lacked a plug, making shaving impossible. The kitchen facilities looked dated, and perhaps could do with a little tlc, but overall I slept well, felt safe and would, on short visits to Edinburgh, stay there again.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Wales

We do our lowest rates at £9 a night! I am glad you found the hostel satisfactory and I will certainly get a new plug for this apartment sink. We have made some great improvements in the last year and are currently making more updates to the hostel including kitchens tlc, so hopefully if you stay with us again you will see more improvements.