Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Private twin room was very basic; literally only beds and a chair. Overall reasonably clean and comfortable however bedding and towels could use freshening up. For somewhere that is centrally located with easy access to city centre but isn't ridiculously expensive, this is a good option.

Good bed. Not very clean.

Nice place, great location!

Ive stayed in many hostels around the world. None of which I have felt strong enough to write a bad review for. Pros: Location amazing. Beds ok. Cons: NO LOCKERS!? NO FREAKING LOCKERS!? ONE KEY BETWEEN 4!? ONE BATHROOM BETWEEN 18!? NO TOWELS HIRE (For Europe this is pretty bad.) I guess the frustrating thing is that this could be a really good hostel. Its generally poor and you don't get a lot for your money. The rooms are worn as well as lacking basic features. Never again.

You are right we do not have lockers and we are sorry about this, however we do not state on hostel world that we do have lockers. You can get as many keys as you want and we do have towel hire for £1.00 which is stated on your check-in card and a sign in reception. The apartment sleeps 14. I appreciate all comments but if you please read the website and get all the information correct before you leave your review as it is only fair to us and unfair to post incorrect information.

We arrived for our 2-night-stay and were told we had booked two separate rooms. We had to checkout at 10am and then wait until 2pm to check in again. Nowhere in my booking did we get information about that. Sure, mistakes in the bookings happen but when we spoke to the manager there was no sign of apology. No, it was our fault that we had not called the hostel before to make sure we didn't have to change rooms?! Also, this child-friendly hostels food serving area did not allow kids under 5years.

• 11th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

The place was really clean, the staff was friendly and helpfull, the location is amazing just right in city center.

• 11th Aug 2015
  • Mexico

Thank you guys! :) great review :)

It's central but noisy at night. Didn't see much of the staff and the way the hostel is built the rooms are like seperate appartments. However if travelling as a group I imagine it would be perfect.

It is more like a student accommodation, very spacious, especially the kitchen. A very good place to stay for a longer time as it is very convenient. The staff is very helpful. The only thing that I would complain is the noise since our room is just across a Fringe venue where people party till very late when we have to catch an early train on the second day.

dorm room was stark and lifeless and no lockers in the room ...Reception area and adjoining room where you could have free tea and coffee was nice,that was also the area you could put your bags for security and safety all held together with a long wire going through every bag...not the most ideal solution,that doesn't stop anyone rifling through your bags if they wanted to but on the whole it was more than an adequate hostel. Kitchen was fully fitted but again stark and clinical...

excellent location some coffee and cereals as breakfast - better than the average hostel

The staff were really polite and the location was very good for the Edinburgh Fringe as it is based where a lot of the venues are. Also the security there is really good as they have a place to lock up your bags Although we booked for five days in one room, they changed it to change rooms every day. We luckily managed to keep one room for four days but this took a lot of effort. Also the plugs in the rooms were faulty and the showers were temperamental. So it was ok but could of been better.

• 7th Aug 2015

Although the location of this hostel was perfect for what we needed it was severely lacking in facilities. We stayed in apartment 104 flat 1 room 3 and there were 8 people in our room as well as 6 other dormitory style rooms. There were approximately 30 other people staying at the same time as us, however there are only 2 toilets and 2 showers. Only one toilet room had a mirror and there were no mirrors in any of the bedrooms. One of the showers only ran cold water. Would not recommend

There were 20 people in your apartment not 30. Did you have a problem with using the showers? Ratio for hostels this is not bad and you do have the added bonus of a nice apartment with a great kitchen for just 20 people rather than sharing 1 kitchen for an entire hostel which is normal in other places. We have 10 kitchens. Of course more showers would be great but we can look at the positives of private apartments and great kitchens. We do need more mirrors and hope to get them soon.

When we first arrived we had a problem with the key and there were not enough staff to help us out. It was just a receptionist available that day so she said she could not leave the reception

• 31st Jul 2015
  • Spain

I am sorry if you experienced this. We are very helpful on reception so I can only apologise for this as this is not normal practice for us.

Very good value for money and very central located. Would definitely book again! The only thing is that you should be ok to have quite a noisy surrounding due to position and guests.

• 30th Jul 2015

Great location, close to pretty much everything. The facilities were quite nice as well and kept clean.

Warm and friendly welcome from the staff upon arrival. Receptionists were happy to help and answer all of our questions. Excellent, location, super close to city centre. Loved the apartment style rooms. Enjoyed my stay very much. One spooky thing though- saw a little mouse in the kitchen area late at night which I never have expierenced in any hostel before. Didn't tell my friend at the time because didn't want to desturb her sleep.

I am glad you had a great experience with the staff as we all try hard to make your stay happy and helpful!! :) A little mouse....? Yes, in Edinburgh there is a problem with mice, it is very common for buildings to have a mouse sometimes. I have one also in my home. We do have poison and traps but I can assure you it is a city problem not a hostel problem.

Just a really really great hostel! I would come back!

Good!! I hope you so come back! Keep your check-in card and you will get a discount for coming back to us :)

The hostel was good, it was more like a mini apartment. Kitchen facilities very good, good power showers. Not the cleanest place and quite dated but for the money quite difficult to complain.

Yes, we have 10 mini apartments with showers and a kitchen in each. We do clean the hostel every morning and again in the afternoon a full clean and change over. The facilities are shared so it is impossible to keep the hostel clean 24/7 as people will use the facilities and make some mess.

We were expecting cheap and cheerful we got cheap and dank. Our room only had a bed (held together with what looked like a show lace!) and a broken wardrobe. The decor had a lot to be desired but it was clean. I have stayed in many hostels around Europe and was disappointed as there was no communal area. The location was good for the city centre but there was a loud bar outside.

• 24th Jul 2015

The hostel is basic and location is very central. I will of course look into your comments about the room and get this fixed. We do not have a common area as we have 10 separate apartments so each apartment has a kitchen area for socialising. We do have an outdoor social area which is great and during the festival in August we have a beautiful bar!

Of course it was quite basic accommodation (not even small table to put things on), but generally fine. Everything clean, nice kitchen, clean showers. It's a GREAT value for money, and definitely recommend.