Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

The bathroom was very dirty. The toilet was blocked. They had a sign that it was not allowed to put toilet paper in the toilet. Im well travelled and always stated in hostels. This is the first hostel i would not recommend.

Great location. Hostel dorms situated in individual apartments, each with its own kitchen it seems. Wifi works well.

Good hostel in very nice location. Facilities average in general with one shower room having smelly mould. That should be improved especially regarding the health effects.

Amazing !! The perfect Hostel in my opinion.

I stayed 5 nights at Cowgate and enjoyed my stay. The Hostel is very central in the old city. This is more a working/long stay hostel and I was the only tourist in my room/ on my level. The room was quite big and the facitlities were mostly clean! All in all good value for money!

• 19th Sep 2015

The staff was very friendly and willing to help! The rooms are a bit sad and there are no locks to secure your personal items.

• 18th Sep 2015
  • Greece

Compared to ohter hostels along Scotland, including one in Edinburgh a few days before, this one was not so appealing

Central location near the bus station! Clean hostel, clean kitchen!

• 17th Sep 2015
  • Slovenia
  • Mixed Group, 41+

The bed sheets did not cover the mattress properly and the bedding was very uncomfortable. The kitchen was not cleaned while we were there, there was rotting food on the bench, table and in the fridge.

Close to city centre and old town. The room and shared facility is tidy. The bed is not so stable, and chargers are not enough for four guests. A club is located at the opposite, so it will be noisy in the night.

The staff, location, and facilities were great. The only issue we had was the wifi it was very poor and hardly stayed connected. This was important tonusbas we were trying to keep in contact with those at home.

This hostel is just apartments converted into mini hostel units. The kitchen has no ventilation and the window can't be opened so it gets really humid and off smelling in there. The showers are great though with no timed shower head. The beds could be better mine was sunken in pushing me against the wall and the room smelt of smoke. Great location though the staff is very friendly and nice.

Hi Kristine. Sorry the room smelt of smoke. We do actively try and stop people from smoking but unfortunately we can't catch everyone all of the time. We are upgrading the hostel in the next few months so all the beds will be replaced. Thanks for the review.

Hostel was flat styled. No atmosphere and my bed wasn't made when I first arrived

Everything went smoothly, the staff were always prompted to help you regardless the issue, Just needs to install individual lockers bellow beds or in the apartment corridor. Loved Edinburgh! Thanks for everything!

Thank you so much for taking your time to review us. Having the lockers installed is in our nearest plans.

Hi , amazing people , very helpful . Keep up the good work

thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to review our hostel!

Everything was up to par, however the crappy outdoor pub/club (not brewdog) was insanely annoying and loud through the night..annoying due to how bad the live band/bad music was through the night (wouldn't have mattered if we were out partying but we had a 7am bus).

Yes, some rooms are right in front of Three Sisters club which music choices we have no control of. We are sorry that you were annoyed by it.

2nd stay with Cowgate, clean, well located hostel. Great value for money overall. Will definitely stay again the next time I visit Edinburgh.

• 8th Sep 2015
  • Scotland

It was absolutely horrid. We were stuck outside for hours trying to get in because the information they first provided was incorrect, and the "emergency" number on the front door was never answered. We then got told that the number we rang (provided by YOUR company) didn't belong to them despite the person answering as "Cowgate". The room and facilities were unacceptable also took a debit card as a deposit or the keys which was no returned We cancelled the 2nd night it so bad I expect a refund!

• 6th Sep 2015

This is a great hostel! Having a kitchen was really useful. Bathrooms were pretty nice. Location is awesome. I highly recommend this hostel if you are ever in Edinburgh! I would definitely stay here again.

What's better than staying at the closest hostel to Brewdog? Yes, Cowgate is a bit noisy (and fun) on the weekend, so just FYI.

We agree with you, the rooms facing the street full of bars can be noisy, but it is as well fun, and we have some more quiet rooms at the back :) Thank you so much for taking time to review our hostel.