Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

It was a different setup than I was expecting; we were essentially living in an apartment with a fully-equipped kitchen, which was quite nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location was excellent, very close to Grassmarket and the Royal Mile. I would definitely recommend it!

I am glad you like our apartment style hostel :) we love it! Im also very glad you found the staff helpful and friendly! :) Thank you for your great comments

Good place! I didn't like the corredor and stairs, but I recommend it, good beds and comfortable! If you want to save money! This place is the best way to do it.

The wifi didn't work and the staff refused to help. The doors were sticky and the keys were confusing. And it was a bit difficult to find. Otherwise good. Good location, walking distance from everything.

I'm sorry you found the keys confusing. We do explain at check in how the keys work, but if you don't understand please feel free to ask again. If the wifi was not working this would of been a temporary measure but I must say normally we have no problems with the FREE WIFI. The staff here are very helpful and never refuse to help people. The only reason they could not help you at that moment was that they were alone in reception and could not leave to reset the router. Thank you for your comment

Very good common kitchen

To start with, our food was stolen in the first night we spent in this hostel and all that the staff said was that "In hostels, this kind of thing can happen and there is nothing we can do about it". Besides that the kitchen facilities were terrible and the refrigerator didn't work for one day and a half making us loose even more food.

The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you should need, It also contains, toaster, kettle, microwave,ovem, hobs, ironboard and much more. There is a large fridge and a sepreate large freezer. I have checked and all the fridges are working. I am very sorry that someone stole your food, this is a real shame. If you label your food with name and room this can help, however sometimes food can be taken and in a hostel it is just very unfortunate. However I must say this does not happen often.

Staffs who attended us during our check was very rude, bed linen are very dirty and promised to change but she did not arranged and we have to collect linen from counter and do it ourselves, toilets are so messy and dirty, no locker available for traveler to lock their belonging, will never stay there again.

I have spoken to the staff member who dealt with your booking. She gave you a lamp for your room as a light was low and she gave you this from her own bedroom. You said the sheets were not clean but they were, however she changed all 8 beds for you anyway as this is what you asked. Then you came to say she had not changed them but she did and they were all clean so we changed the linen 3 times for you! The toilets are cleaned twice a day and only messy if someone makes a mess of them.

Lockers are useful Also it seemed as though there were limited toilets and showers for all the people staying However I never had to wait for the loo or shower

Good place to stay but no lockers, no CCTV and no frying pan.

Thank you for your comments. We do not have lockers and it does state this on hostel world, however we have a locked area in reception to help and valuables can be left in reception for safety if needed. All flats have pots and pans and frying pans. This is checked every week, however if you find something is missing we can replace for you straight away. Just come and ask :)

Beds squeaky and not hot showers, just luke warm! Only complaint. Its central. Cheap. Has good kitchen (oven, microwave kettle etc) bathrooms good. Rooms big and clean. Bar across the road was noisy but we scored a room on the back so were lucky. At a weekend its very noisy

Helpful staff, nice atmosphere, good value for money. But it just gets one little light in the room.

I am sorry that only 1 light was working in your room. We have replaced this bulb now so it will be brighter. Thank you for your feedback and comments :0)

Good service and everything but the reception did manage to give me the wrong key and I was checked in late. I went into the wrong room and had to change it later. Check in time was 2.00pm but I was only checked in after 3pm. The reception did apologise and I wouldn't blame her because there was just too many people for her to handle alone. Room was in excellent condition and good wifi which is of utmost importance to me.

Cow gate hostel was completely different to what I expected. They have kind of flats with 3 rooms each you share with other tourists. The rooms are just normal hostel rooms with 4-8 or more beds in it. It was nice staying there and clean. Unfortunately a little loud but because pubs were just opposite the street and the heating was not working but a member of staff was helpful to get it work. Definitely recommendable and really good location

Thank you for your feedback. That's correct that each flat has 3-5 bedrooms per flat and each room sleeps 2-6 people and our biggest dorm room is an 8 bed so these are good sized rooms. All heating does work and you did the right thing to ask reception and we can just turn it on or reset it for you. The location is great but can experience some noise due to the lively area. Ear plugs in reception for £1 if needed :)

The location is great. Apart from that it could have been better. The pictures look so nice on the website but the rest of the hostel are not that nice. The staircase gave me a creepy atmospher.The bed is so old that you will get a back pain because it lost its firmness. Although the bathroom and the toilet are clean but with only one bathroom to share with other rooms, it took forever to wait for your turn.Pots and an oven in the kitchen are rusty. The staffs there are nice though.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I am glad you found the staff very nice :) and the location great! If you look at other reviews you will see we do not have problems with the mattress so I am sorry if you found it uncomfortable. As you say the flats are clean and some flats have 1 shower and some have 2 and it can depend on how busy it is but it is great that they are in the flats. We do have a supple of pots and pans and will replace them when needed. I will make sure this is done again this week. Thank you

I think the staff did good work cleaning, but some of the tourists left their dirty stuff in the sink, the shower etc. I missed a tv, where I could sit in the evening after eating, a Place where I could get to know the others.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Norway

Thank you for your comments. The staff do work very hard on cleaning and everyone has to help by washing there own dishes. We do not have TV's anymore as we found they became damaged and people did not use them that much. Instead we installed FREE WIFI in the whole hostel so people can watch on there tablets.

The hostel is located opposite a big pub, so at the weekend it quite loud. The rooms and beds are very old. There a no lookers where you can leave your stuff, so you have to take everything always with you. I slept in a six bed room where we had only one power socket in the whole room and the lamp was broken... But the staff is great!

The hostel is old and we like its character of an old building in Edinburgh. We do not have lockers and it does state this on hostel world. If you have valuables they can be left in reception if needed. We have more than one socket in the room you just have to look behind the beds sometimes and the light that was broken was replaced with a large lamp. I am glad to here you found the staff great! Because we are :o) and we always help to solve any issues brought to our attention.

The staff were lovely! Very helpful and welcoming. They were even willing to adopt me when they were in the pub for a quiz night so I didn't have to sit/eat alone. The only downside to the location is the noise from the Three Sisters Pub across the road, but that is to be expected given the proximity to Grassmarket. I have a fairly wide experience of hostels and in general I thought it was good value for money. I would be quite likely to stay there again.

• 9th Apr 2014

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm even more glad you enjoyed your quiz night with us! Safe trip home! :)

The hostel was pretty good, except the wifi that was slower than a maggot. Cheers.

Thank you for your comments I will get someone to look at the wifi as normally it is okay. Maybe it needs a re-boost!

The location is ideal and on arrival the staff behind the desk were helpful and friendly. Perhaps the torrential rain did not help our first impressions . When we got into the room the curtain was half falling off (took me 30 seconds to fix it- a quick fix that a cleaner could have done!- just shows a little effort.) There were patches of paint that had come off the wall. 1 duvet cover was inside out, on turning it the right way I realised why it was like that-there were stains on the front. :-S

I love Edinburgh, thank you for all your kindness.

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

We stayed luckily only 1 night. Already when we entered block 104 it smelled really bad like urin. The smell was also in the room. The colour on the walls had seen better days as well. The upper bed from the bunk beds had stains on it so we were too discusted to use it! so we both squeezed into the lower one. Besides the bunk beds there was only a wardrobe, not even a little table. Forget about the internet. Its not really working, I could hardly check my emails. Only good thing: location

I am sorry you felt you had to leave a bad review for us. You were in a private room and I check all room every day and they do not smell and are mopped and bleached everyday! If you found any marks on your bedding you can get new bedding in reception as per our notices.The wifi does work and you are the first to complain about this but again if you came to reception we would of rebooted your flat to be sure. There is a big table and chairs in the kitchen.