Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

either we didn't get how the shower worked, ot it was the worsed one i ever took :) but overall a very clean, good hostel with extremely friendly staff and an excellent location.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Hi, sorry for your experience with the shower. But there is a red switch either inside or outside the shower that you have to turn on, and Voila :) it's working. For any problem of this kind, please don't hesitate to ask help from our receptionists who will be happy to help you. Regards.

I quite liked my stay at the Cowgate. The location is absolutely perfect- central to all things Old Edinburgh but not too far to walk to new. The rooms are quite big and spacious and I like that it was all separate apartments each with their own kitchen. The staff are really lovely and helpful. The only thing is there is only one shower and two toilets in each apartment, but to be honest I never had to wait long for either when I was there so it wasn't a really a problem for me.

Thank you for your points of: Perfect location, Quiet big rooms. Seperate apartments with their own kitchens, Lovely staff! These are the really great points of the hostel so well noted :) There are 1-2 showers per apartment depending on the occupancy of the flats however like you say most of the time this is not a big issue and you get the comfort of more privacy having a small apartment to share.

Overall great, but noticed staff only changed bottom sheets and not the duvet covered sheets. Not sure how many days passed between duvet cover sheet washing. Other than that great! Wash all sheets!!!!

It could use some redecorating and tlc, but at £12 a night you can't be too demanding

That toilet was broken and leaked everywhere........but the water was cleaned up every day:)

This tolet is now fixed, sorry for your troubles! and thank you for still leaving a greta review/score! :) we love that!

I just expected it to be slightly cleaner... and there was 1 shower to share between at least 15-20 people.

Great bathroom.and kitchen. Beds clean and staff friendly. Right across from a great bar which is mixed blessings depending on what you are looking for. No lockers. Would stay here again.

The room smelled of Janola or bleach, which made it quite uncomfortable to sleep in.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

A little rough around the edges but the great location and awesome staff more than make up for it.

I couldn't of said it better myself! Thank you :)

Nice rooms with separate entrance, friendly staff, good location

An apartment style hostel, very nice and comfortable, but no proper common area which let it down

Thank you for your feedback! The new outdoor common area is now ready and open this weekend :) We hope you will come back one day and hang out with us there :)

Great nights stay. Exactly what we wanted. Perfect location for a city pub crawl. Good clean facilities. Only one problem, cups. There was 12 of us staying plus more from other groups and only 4 mugs for the morning coffee. Very important if you've been on a night out. Great place thanks.

• 26th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 41+

Thank you for a great review!! With the cups we do have plenty more to give you, we put many in the flats but they disappear, so please come to reception if you need more :) Thank you

They need to install lockers for people's luggage, too risky just leaving it in the room if you don't know the people you're staying with.

• 25th Jul 2014

We hope to get lockers in the future. For now you must keep your valuables with you or leave in reception. Thank you :)

Good place , but it was REALLY loud at night. There was a big pub across the street. The windows seems to let in far more noise than cool air.

At weekends you can here some noise from the bars on the street. It is a great location for the city but this can bring noise! We have ear plugs in reception for £1 if it is too much for you :)

The hostel is situated very near to everything, which is great. It is nice and colourful and there is quite a lot of space. There were no lockers so the security is quite poor. The kitchen is nice and spacious and there is a good amount of dishes. In our kitchen there was a nice leather sofa, not for sitting, as it was broken. The beds were sqeaky and felt very unstable; the whole bed was shaking, if the one sleeping in upper bed moved his feet. Showers smelled a bit like mold.

I was just for one night, and i can not sleep at all, because of the bar which is next and open untill 3. am. it was very noisy.

• 24th Jul 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights and it was lovely! Friendly and helpful staff, perfect location and a room that was worth its price. The only thing missing in the bedroom was a coat rack, there's nothing to hang clothes. Apart from that it was a lovely stay and I would recommend this place.

Very clean apartments with nice shower and toilets, and also kitchen/living area!

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

We do work hard on keeping the hostel clean so thank you for your comments and the 5* cleaning rating! :)

Great place! Flats with 6 beds and separate kitchen, lounge to hang out and meet people and close to all attractions. I would stay here again.

Thank you for a great review! and I hope you do come back to see us one day :)

Thank you for everything. I am very satisfied for all of service you did for me.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure to have you :)