Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Good location close to most major sites in Edinburgh

the guy living next room has key to our door and entered my room in the 3o'clock in the morning

The hostel was great and the location perfect. It was close to the Royal Mile (main street in the Old Town) and in the best street to go out, there is a pub just in front of the hostel, so if you are looking for a quiet place... maybe it's not the best!

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Spain

very friendly staff. very nice bathroom and kitchen. Some noise from pubs nearby, but I think this is a characteristic of this city.

The staff were great, really friendly and helpful. The hostel is structured like separate apartments, rather than a big communal building which meant that within the hostel itself was quite quiet and calm (not lots of people running around the halls!). Outside of the hostel was another story, however, as it is opposite a pub with a busy beer garden and there was a guy busking (on a trumpet!) til the wee hours. Friends have told me that rooms at the back of the building are quieter tho.

• 5th Sep 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here, the location is spot on, very close to the city centre, exactly what you want. Staff was friendly, the cost was very affordable, ideal for students. Well done Cowgate!

• 5th Sep 2014
  • Romania
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hostel is average. Nothing special but for young people OK.

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

There was two showers for a floor full of people, one didn't work so the wait for a shower was painful. Was alright for a quick one night stop, but wouldn't recommend for longer stays. Wifi was painfully bad as well.

There should be a room in each flat where everyone could relax and talk and simply meet.

There is a big kitchen in each flat with table and chairs and some flats sofas so you can all chat and meet in each flat. We now have an outdoor area seating 120 people so people can have fun there!

It smelled absolutely horrendous.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Very nice hostel! very clean,and a perfect value for money! --the kitchen is very useful ( u can also meet people) + bathroom clean! -the noise of the pub across the street is not a problem cauz it closes at 3am and you 're usually out at this time! -Read bad comments before booking but this place is one of the best (everything's new inside)+ famous in Edinburgh (Cowgate street) where you can find all the pubs nearby+(city center 10min walk) staff very friendly they're awesome! RECOMMEND IT!!

The hostel is well organized and the staff is incredibly helpful. I believe that the only thing would be to have a 24h reception to make it even better.

It was really hard to get any sleep in the room I stayed in with all the noise from bars and cars outside. Without earlplugs it would have been totally unbearable, with earlplugs only near-unbearable... This they should have warned me about somehow. Also I am not sure how clean the mattress, pillows and duvet really was...

• 1st Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Kitchen is combined into a small-ish communal area which is not open 24/7, but that would be my only criticism. I have stayed in a few hostels in Edinburgh and so far, this one has been my favourite. Great staff, reasonably priced. I would stay here again.

Great location, right near the Royal Mile! Within walking distance of the main sights, also great night life in the surrounding area (Sneaky Pete's is great for live music and right across the road!) No common room though, would be nice to have a communal area to meet other guests. Staff were friendly and helpful, overall a good stay and would stay again :)

Really good hostel. Located very centrally, being within short walking distance to all attractions. The kitchen was amazing. I would highly recommend this hostel - especially if you're on a budget and want value for money.

I had a great stay. One staff person was very nice, and another was mistreating customers. She was very rude to people who were unable to communicate well in English and was impatient when they tried to ask questions. I'm glad she wasn't the one who assisted me. The staff person who helped me was very kind and helpful. Overall the stay was good, the rooms were good and the kitchen very good.

• 29th Aug 2014

Perfect location in old town, good security although no lockers, not the newest of hostels, and no lift but good for a place to shower and sleep

Very basic, but very cheap. Beds were slightly gross. There are better places to stay in edinburgh for around the same price

Great hostel, staff is very polite and room was clean. Itsl like a flat like hostel.huge kitchen as well. Would recommend it.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and decided to stay long stay with us :) Please let us know if you need anything as we are always happy to help :)