Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I think single beds in double rooms would be better than bunk beds and possibly small set of drawers and a rail to hang clothes would be good. But saying that it is a hostel maybe I'm being a bit fussy would recommend to friends as a economical place to stay in Edinburgh.

• 17th May 2014

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Some of the privates are two single beds and some bunk beds depending on the room size. I must say 95% of private rooms have a wardrobe or set of drawers so I am sorry you had the room without I will try and get something put in there asap. Your not fussy you know what you want, and we think that's awesome :)

Not in the busy street. Good value for money

the walls in the appartment are thin as paper, so you can hear every door and every word that is spoken by other guests. the hostel is located in a busy street so it is quite loud even during the night, then again it is located in the heart of the old town. very positive was the big kitchen, which was well equipped and clean. the furniture in the double room was very simple, there was not even a table or a chair, only the bed and one closet

- Room was very simple, just the beds. Matrices old and worn (sag in the middle). No possibility to hang up clothes or towels, no mirror - and: no lockers!! Only 2 toilets for (I guess) 5 rooms. Window could not be opened (fell at once down again). Very loud the whole night due to the pub on the opposite side of the street. Lots of traffic, even on Saturday morning. Kitchen equipped but without tea, sugar, salt o.s. Tea bags only available next to the reception. + Bathroom clean. Price.

The hostel is £10 per night so it is nice and simple and clean for this price. We have mirrors coming soon to all rooms and lockers in the future. The window does open and there is a small latch to keep it open. I will check your mattress today and get a new one if needed. We are located in the centre of the night life so you may experience some noise at weekends. The kitchen is fully equipped but you must bring your won food. Free tea, coffee and sugar are avaliable from reception 8am - 11pm

A really lovely hostel close to everything. The staff was so nice and helpful. My flat was nice and really clean! My suggestion would be maybe add a chair or two to the rooms (at least mine didn't have any), a big mirror and some lockers. I would defo stay again xx

I am glad you found the staff nice and the flats really clean! This is what we try for everyday! We do have chairs, tables and wardrobes in some of the rooms but not all of them. We are working on getting more furniture for all rooms. We have ordered mirrors for the whole hostel so we should have them soon and lockers is also something we are very aware of and will come in the future.

The staff was nice but the room was quite humid.

Good value for your money, staff great..!!!

• 2nd May 2014
  • Sweden

Thank you! :)

It was a different setup than I was expecting; we were essentially living in an apartment with a fully-equipped kitchen, which was quite nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location was excellent, very close to Grassmarket and the Royal Mile. I would definitely recommend it!

I am glad you like our apartment style hostel :) we love it! Im also very glad you found the staff helpful and friendly! :) Thank you for your great comments

Good place! I didn't like the corredor and stairs, but I recommend it, good beds and comfortable! If you want to save money! This place is the best way to do it.

The wifi didn't work and the staff refused to help. The doors were sticky and the keys were confusing. And it was a bit difficult to find. Otherwise good. Good location, walking distance from everything.

I'm sorry you found the keys confusing. We do explain at check in how the keys work, but if you don't understand please feel free to ask again. If the wifi was not working this would of been a temporary measure but I must say normally we have no problems with the FREE WIFI. The staff here are very helpful and never refuse to help people. The only reason they could not help you at that moment was that they were alone in reception and could not leave to reset the router. Thank you for your comment

Very good common kitchen

To start with, our food was stolen in the first night we spent in this hostel and all that the staff said was that "In hostels, this kind of thing can happen and there is nothing we can do about it". Besides that the kitchen facilities were terrible and the refrigerator didn't work for one day and a half making us loose even more food.

The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you should need, It also contains, toaster, kettle, microwave,ovem, hobs, ironboard and much more. There is a large fridge and a sepreate large freezer. I have checked and all the fridges are working. I am very sorry that someone stole your food, this is a real shame. If you label your food with name and room this can help, however sometimes food can be taken and in a hostel it is just very unfortunate. However I must say this does not happen often.

Staffs who attended us during our check was very rude, bed linen are very dirty and promised to change but she did not arranged and we have to collect linen from counter and do it ourselves, toilets are so messy and dirty, no locker available for traveler to lock their belonging, will never stay there again.

I have spoken to the staff member who dealt with your booking. She gave you a lamp for your room as a light was low and she gave you this from her own bedroom. You said the sheets were not clean but they were, however she changed all 8 beds for you anyway as this is what you asked. Then you came to say she had not changed them but she did and they were all clean so we changed the linen 3 times for you! The toilets are cleaned twice a day and only messy if someone makes a mess of them.

Lockers are useful Also it seemed as though there were limited toilets and showers for all the people staying However I never had to wait for the loo or shower

Good place to stay but no lockers, no CCTV and no frying pan.

Thank you for your comments. We do not have lockers and it does state this on hostel world, however we have a locked area in reception to help and valuables can be left in reception for safety if needed. All flats have pots and pans and frying pans. This is checked every week, however if you find something is missing we can replace for you straight away. Just come and ask :)

Beds squeaky and not hot showers, just luke warm! Only complaint. Its central. Cheap. Has good kitchen (oven, microwave kettle etc) bathrooms good. Rooms big and clean. Bar across the road was noisy but we scored a room on the back so were lucky. At a weekend its very noisy

Helpful staff, nice atmosphere, good value for money. But it just gets one little light in the room.

I am sorry that only 1 light was working in your room. We have replaced this bulb now so it will be brighter. Thank you for your feedback and comments :0)

Good service and everything but the reception did manage to give me the wrong key and I was checked in late. I went into the wrong room and had to change it later. Check in time was 2.00pm but I was only checked in after 3pm. The reception did apologise and I wouldn't blame her because there was just too many people for her to handle alone. Room was in excellent condition and good wifi which is of utmost importance to me.

Cow gate hostel was completely different to what I expected. They have kind of flats with 3 rooms each you share with other tourists. The rooms are just normal hostel rooms with 4-8 or more beds in it. It was nice staying there and clean. Unfortunately a little loud but because pubs were just opposite the street and the heating was not working but a member of staff was helpful to get it work. Definitely recommendable and really good location

Thank you for your feedback. That's correct that each flat has 3-5 bedrooms per flat and each room sleeps 2-6 people and our biggest dorm room is an 8 bed so these are good sized rooms. All heating does work and you did the right thing to ask reception and we can just turn it on or reset it for you. The location is great but can experience some noise due to the lively area. Ear plugs in reception for £1 if needed :)

The location is great. Apart from that it could have been better. The pictures look so nice on the website but the rest of the hostel are not that nice. The staircase gave me a creepy atmospher.The bed is so old that you will get a back pain because it lost its firmness. Although the bathroom and the toilet are clean but with only one bathroom to share with other rooms, it took forever to wait for your turn.Pots and an oven in the kitchen are rusty. The staffs there are nice though.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I am glad you found the staff very nice :) and the location great! If you look at other reviews you will see we do not have problems with the mattress so I am sorry if you found it uncomfortable. As you say the flats are clean and some flats have 1 shower and some have 2 and it can depend on how busy it is but it is great that they are in the flats. We do have a supple of pots and pans and will replace them when needed. I will make sure this is done again this week. Thank you