Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Cowgate Hostel is a good place to stay if you want it central and cheap. We were a rather lare group and split up in several appartments - not all had enough showers and toilets. One room was extremeley mouldy but the staff was very helpful finding a solution.

For groups it is best to make your booking and then call us so can get the best group option for you or call us before you book so we can check if we space to keep you all in one apartment. I am sorry for the trouble you had with one of the rooms but this has now been fixed and your refund was done and I like you say, the staff helped all they could to make it better for you and a solution was found. It was nice to have you stay with us :)

Too Old too loud! Nice staff! Not that clean bedding. Cheap hostel. Good for a sleep.

Cowgate had a very helpful staff as always especially "Sian", and is I place I return to every time I go to Scotland. I think they need more kitchen stuff pans, bowls, glasses a s o. The dorm floors should be cleaned and scrub wet every day, lots of dust balls lay every where over the whole floor the whole time I have stayed there. I hope the person which read this can answer so I hear what you think of my comments. Regards Anita S

Strange Hostel which consisted of flats. People were very friendly and there was a nice kitchen where you can cook. However, there was no tv room or other facilities and it was a pain trying to get into the shower in the morning. The location is good for the city. However, there were hundreds or very loud young drinkers outside as its in the middle of a range of big nightclubs. People were screaming and fighting at 3am in the morning. All could be heard in the room. The staff were very friendly.

There are friendly staff but the entrance and stairs need cleaning for the rest excellent.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • Ecuador

It is not a Hostel with a huge kitchen or common room, but you have your bed and comparing with others in Edinburgh you pay less and you are still in the heart of the old town. Where there already some years ago and now it's a lot better. We had a 6 bed room and everything was clean and fine!

Cleanliness of toilets and showers could improve. That aside, the hostel has great value as it has a perfect location, is cheap and has helpful staff. Be aware that there's an outdoor's pub just across the street that closes around 2 am, so earplugs are advised.

We definitely clean the hostel every day and have a great cleaning team. If you did cleaning checks with me you would see how clean it is. However....it is a hostel and all facilities are used all day so during the day the guests will make some mess after the cleaners have been. The hostel can not be cleaned 24/7 and this should be taken in to consideration when staying in hostels where facilities are shared with others that may have different standards to others.

Staff was always helpful, but seemed bored and annoyed most of the time. I stayed away from the reception. I was there for two weeks, facilities are very clean but a bit worn down. Furniture in shared kitchen area broken. My room smelled really bad. Amazing location, quiet hostel, very good value for money. You get what you pay for, nothing more.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Facilities were good, but there weren't many toilets for the number of people staying in each flat

• 17th Sep 2014

cowgate is a vey nice place to stay! the reception was really friendly to us and they offer computer for free which is really great too! I was really surprised the room (double bed) was quite clean and the light is bright enough ( my last hostel's room was pretty dark...)

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

The best thing about this hostel was, that they gave us back the money as we decided to book a hotel instead. The laundry was full with hair of other people. We asked the staff to change it and they did, but it was still dirty! After complaining again they explained us, that it is a problem caused by their laundry-service... So we asked to check out and we got back the money except of the booking-amount (but that was totaly ok). Wouldn't recommend it at all.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

The problem with hair is that it is very hard to get rid of. All our bedding is cleaned with a very good laundry service and we have a supply to make sure everyone can have clean sheets. Your sheets were clean and straight from the laundry. Hair however does seem to clinge on to everything and anything, I have the same problem in my home. We do our very best to make sure all hair is removed but the odd hair can get stuck in linen.

I stayed with my partner in one room in a shared flat, I am very happy and would go back again, the location is great the room nice, big kitchen with all necessary appliances and tools, 2 showers and 2 wc. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I am so happy you had a great stay with us and thank you for the kind words :)

Very friendly staff. The facilities weren't very clean though and you wouldn't want to look up at the mold in the showers. Location wasn't bad but it was in the rougher area. But they did have triple locks to get into your room. Plus there was a party going on across the street both nights we stayed. The price was very cheap though.

The Cowgate Tourist Hostel is a very good accomodation. The facilities and cleanliness are fine and better than many other hostels. I would suggest to find an accomodation there. Very good central location. The price are not high.

Thank you for your nice review and pointing out the cleanliness is fine! :)

The location is very convenient, especially if you're planning on visiting bars, pubs and clubs. In general I enjoyed my stay, although beat in mind that there are no safety lockers, not in the rooms or the reception. Also, if you're in a rush in the morning and you want to take a shower, get up fast because one shower for the whole flat is not much.

There are not lockers on the rooms, however we do have locked luggage area in reception if needed.

Good location close to most major sites in Edinburgh

the guy living next room has key to our door and entered my room in the 3o'clock in the morning

The hostel was great and the location perfect. It was close to the Royal Mile (main street in the Old Town) and in the best street to go out, there is a pub just in front of the hostel, so if you are looking for a quiet place... maybe it's not the best!

• 6th Sep 2014