Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great location, right near the Royal Mile! Within walking distance of the main sights, also great night life in the surrounding area (Sneaky Pete's is great for live music and right across the road!) No common room though, would be nice to have a communal area to meet other guests. Staff were friendly and helpful, overall a good stay and would stay again :)

Really good hostel. Located very centrally, being within short walking distance to all attractions. The kitchen was amazing. I would highly recommend this hostel - especially if you're on a budget and want value for money.

I had a great stay. One staff person was very nice, and another was mistreating customers. She was very rude to people who were unable to communicate well in English and was impatient when they tried to ask questions. I'm glad she wasn't the one who assisted me. The staff person who helped me was very kind and helpful. Overall the stay was good, the rooms were good and the kitchen very good.

• 29th Aug 2014

Perfect location in old town, good security although no lockers, not the newest of hostels, and no lift but good for a place to shower and sleep

Very basic, but very cheap. Beds were slightly gross. There are better places to stay in edinburgh for around the same price

Great hostel, staff is very polite and room was clean. Itsl like a flat like hostel.huge kitchen as well. Would recommend it.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and decided to stay long stay with us :) Please let us know if you need anything as we are always happy to help :)

The location was awesome as you can reach all important places within minutes by walking. I also liked the concept of having different flats with a number of shared rooms in each. However, there were no lockers so you couldn't lock your things away and always had to carry them around with you. Also I was sleeping in a bunk bed and didn't have a railing which didn't make me sleep very confidently. But for a few nights I would definitely stay there again.

I am glad to hear you would stay with us again despite any negative feedback. We do not have lockers, however please dont carry your items around with you all day, many people just leave them safely in reception.

Our stay at Cowgate was excellent. The location was great, especially during the fringe festival, and the rooms were very private and clean. The facilities were second to none.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the amazing Fringe Festival! Thank you so much for the great review :)

Good location with secure access. Each floor has a kitchen and dorm rooms were clean.

Really friendly staff and hostel is in a great location near bars and clubs. Dorms are spacious and clean, kitchen is big. No lockers in rooms but security doors and keys are given to room. Would be good to have a common area, which I think they have just introduced as an outdoor courtyard. Overall really enjoyed our stay here!

Very good location near Royal Mile with good facilities.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • India

the hostel had a great service and the rooms were very good to stay in minor complaint in the room it self maybe something to put your jackets on to

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Belgium

We went during the Fringe and the location was amazing for it. It was very close to all the best places to see free comedy shows and classic Edinburgh sights, too. The one thing Cowgate is lacking is a general hang-out area. Theres a detached outdoor courtyard which wasnt bad but it gets too chilly to stay at all night.

Great Hostel, Shower was Hot Cold Hot Cold, and every Room key unlocks every room, at least in the same appartment. Great location, would come here again very likely cheers

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Austria
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hot and cold showers can be a problem in the busy fringe festival as so many people are here and using the water. This is not normal other times of the year. I am looking into the keys in your apartment but can assure you and the security that the keys do not open any other apartments, I am so glad to here you would like to come back and we hope to see you again soon :)

Great location in the centre of Edinburgh, with lovely, friendly staff. Great, free fringe festival venue just across the road, with several bars nearby, so a little noise is to be expected. Either pack some ear plugs, or go out and take advantage of the location, rather than having a grump about the noise. Overall, excellent value for money, and don't forget if you want polished, high quality rooms a hostel is not for you!

• 18th Aug 2014

Thank you so much for your great review and score of the hostel! Your review did make me chuckle and you are right, Location is amazing but noise will be heard and we are a hostel in every way and even though it is clean and loved by the staff it is not a hotel. The value for money in a city, central location is fab! Thank you for pointing this out and hope you had a safe travel onwards!

Enjoyed using the kitchen space provided, which was kept clean. Bathroom facilities were clean despite use by many guests. The rooms were big and offered plenty of space to spread gear out.

Average hostel with decent security, convenient city location, comfortable rooms (extortionately priced for the Fringe Festival) and an interesting apartment-style layout which worked well. Unfortunately let down by their lack of bathroom cleaning - ours were pretty gross and unnecessarily messy.

Thank you for your comments. The fringe festival sees all the hostels and hotels increase in price but we are by far the cheapest still in the city. Regarding cleaning, the bathrooms are cleaned in the morning for a quick fresh up and thoroughly cleaned everyday between 10am-2pm. If guests make a mess of the bathrooms after this, it is just a problem sometimes in a busy season with lots of people using facilities.

Right in the heart of Old Town, just a block from the Royal Mile. Perfect venue to stay at for the festival!

Good hostel, was a great location when visiting the Edinburgh fringe festival, and the staff recommended some great shows and venues whilst we were there! No complaints :)

• 14th Aug 2014

No complaints from us either! :) Lovely to have you and so glad you enjoyed the shows we recommended!

lockers would have been nice

• 10th Aug 2014