Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Good location and facilities. Staff friendly and helpful.

• 5th Apr 2014

Excelwnt location, helpful staff and great price!

I know hostel deserves how much you pay for but I think this one can also be less stuffy (ground floor window is closed forever) and quieter(ourside its a nightclub). Also, the corridor is quite scaring with the red paint everywhere (of the door, column,etc)

There ground floor levels do not have an open window as it's on the street level but we do have fans in the rooms to circulate air. If this was not working I do apologise. There is nightclub/bar opposite us and the street in general is a busy place so you will experience some noise levels on busy nights. The red paint in the stairwells is not meant to be scary!! :) Just a bright colour. The flats and bedrooms are pale greens, blues and yellows. Your right for £9.00 a night its a great price!

Excellent location, clean bedrooms and toilet. Non 24 hrs reception is a disadvantage, though they offer an emergency number which was quite helpul for me to do my early check- out.

24 hour reception is not required here as you have full access to the hostel with codes and keys.

Hi guys! I stayed in the Cowgate hostel for 2 nights just a week ago and I need to say, that it was a good choice. The building does not look amazing from outside, but it is secure, clean and location is perfect. If you will chose to stay there, you will have all the trendy bars and restaurants just round the corner and also a few mins walk to the old town! There are also few small cafes which serve traditional Scottish breakfast's rolls with Higgins for a great price :-) Enjoy

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the great location! Edinburgh is just amazing we think! :)

Very good accomodation for visiting Edinburgh! It's very close to the centre, clean with big kitchen and good facilities: of course compared to the cheap prices. The wifi works properly and we also had very nice roommates. The only negative thing was the persistent smell of fresh paint in the room.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :) I do apologies about the smell of paint. This room had recently been re-painted and due to the busy days you stayed with us we were not able to move you. I am glad this was the only negative you found at our hostel.

Pretty convenient location and friendly staff! Unfortunately there were no lockers in the flats to put valuables in.

We currently do not have lockers but do hope to have them in the future. We can offer to keep small valuables in reception or bags can be left in the lock up/reception area if space allows.

I stayed in a very big room compared to the other hostels I stayed previously. All rooms very clean, staff really kind and helpful. Perfect central location to visit the city. I would stay here again.

• 20th Mar 2014

Thank you for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again :)

Couldn't believe how cheap it was for such a great hostel - definitely the best value for money in Edinburgh and a great location right in the old town and a short walk to all the main attractions. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and cleaners were friendly and thorough. The apartment style flats are homely and cosy with new and well equipped kitchen. I enjoyed my stay and would reccommend!

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :)

Awesome staff. Very pleasant and hassle free stay.

Thank you for your nice comments! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us :)

Very basic and not ass pleasant or as convenient as St Christophers. Also one of the blocks (and our room) was opposite a very noisy pub which is open until 3am

• 8th Mar 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

I am sorry hear you do not like our hostel as much as another. Comparing on price to the other hostel we are half the price on a private rooms so this may be why we seemed more basic as we are a lot cheaper and do not offer ensuite. We are located on the Cowgate which is a busy street in Edinburgh and the night you stayed was the 6 nations rugby game so this may of contributed to extra noise.

The hostel location was perfect, just right in town. However, there was a lot of noise coming from the street so I would advise to bring earplugs if you are staying here. Besides, the heating wasn't working at all in our room and the duvets were quite thin, so it was pretty cold at night. The room and bathrooms (which were shared) were quite clean, however the smell of pee was very bad at the entrance of the block. The only thing I would recommend this hostel for is the location.

Thank you for your comments. I would like you to bear in mind it was the 6 nations rugby weekend when you stayed with us the whole city was booked out, very busy and very noisy. People do pee in the street I am afraid to say, so we do bleach all doorways in the mornings. I am glad you found the rooms and bathrooms clean as we do clean everyday. The heating does work with a switch on the wall and if not ask reception to reset it. Thanks

there was a strange smell in the staircase

• 2nd Mar 2014

Really dirty

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Spain

The hostel is cleaned everyday by a great team of cleaners. Toilets, showers,kitchens and bedrooms are all checked and cleaned everyday so I can assure you the hostel is not 'really dirty'.

The only thing that we didn't like was the heater in the room which didn't work, so the room was really cold.

All heaters do work. You just need to switch then on by the wall. If it still does not come on you speak with reception and we reset them for you.

The reception and the bathrooms look good but the room looked a bit old and dirty. The entrance of the building looks awful! The shower is great!

Very good place to stay! For this price I don't think there are many accommodations in Edinburgh. The room was warm and comfortable. Besides, we left a pair of earrings there and they looked for them and sent them to us in a just a couple of days! Really happy, they have been very nice to us!

• 15th Feb 2014
  • Spain

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very happy you received your earrings in the post!

We opted for a mixed dorm thinking it would be a good ratio. We were stuck with 4 fully grown men, which I didn't consider very safe. The door of our room didn't lock properly. The kitchen facilities were good however they were always a mess. The location of the hostel however was great, right in the centre of old town

Our hostel is all mixed dorms and this does mean you can be in a room with any ratio of male and female. I think it's unfair to say having men in your room means you are not safe. If for any reason you felt that way you could of spoke to reception and we could of given you more of a background on your room mates. All doors do lock as they are checked everyday. The kitchens are cleaned everyday, however at weekends when we are fully booked the kitchens are used more often.

Good kitchen, good mattress, good shower. Average pillows. No lockers. A good point is that my flight delayed and I arrived at the hostel after the check-in time, so we called the number indicated and the staff came to help us in a short time, and she was very polite and helpful.

Cowgate tourism hostel is a very good place to stay, the hostel is in a very good location. In the heart of the city, you can enjoy free tours and enjoy the good atmosphere of bars and night-clubs. The staff is ALWAYS here for you if there's any problem during the day. You can also book a trip (Inverness, Lochness, Stirling) to the reception. I really enjoyed my stay to the hostel and have no regret ! I will definitely come back !

• 29th Jan 2014