Cowgate Tourist Hostel Reviews

96 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

The location was awesome as you can reach all important places within minutes by walking. I also liked the concept of having different flats with a number of shared rooms in each. However, there were no lockers so you couldn't lock your things away and always had to carry them around with you. Also I was sleeping in a bunk bed and didn't have a railing which didn't make me sleep very confidently. But for a few nights I would definitely stay there again.

I am glad to hear you would stay with us again despite any negative feedback. We do not have lockers, however please dont carry your items around with you all day, many people just leave them safely in reception.

Our stay at Cowgate was excellent. The location was great, especially during the fringe festival, and the rooms were very private and clean. The facilities were second to none.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the amazing Fringe Festival! Thank you so much for the great review :)

Good location with secure access. Each floor has a kitchen and dorm rooms were clean.

Really friendly staff and hostel is in a great location near bars and clubs. Dorms are spacious and clean, kitchen is big. No lockers in rooms but security doors and keys are given to room. Would be good to have a common area, which I think they have just introduced as an outdoor courtyard. Overall really enjoyed our stay here!

Very good location near Royal Mile with good facilities.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • India

the hostel had a great service and the rooms were very good to stay in minor complaint in the room it self maybe something to put your jackets on to

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Belgium

We went during the Fringe and the location was amazing for it. It was very close to all the best places to see free comedy shows and classic Edinburgh sights, too. The one thing Cowgate is lacking is a general hang-out area. Theres a detached outdoor courtyard which wasnt bad but it gets too chilly to stay at all night.

Great Hostel, Shower was Hot Cold Hot Cold, and every Room key unlocks every room, at least in the same appartment. Great location, would come here again very likely cheers

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Austria
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hot and cold showers can be a problem in the busy fringe festival as so many people are here and using the water. This is not normal other times of the year. I am looking into the keys in your apartment but can assure you and the security that the keys do not open any other apartments, I am so glad to here you would like to come back and we hope to see you again soon :)

Great location in the centre of Edinburgh, with lovely, friendly staff. Great, free fringe festival venue just across the road, with several bars nearby, so a little noise is to be expected. Either pack some ear plugs, or go out and take advantage of the location, rather than having a grump about the noise. Overall, excellent value for money, and don't forget if you want polished, high quality rooms a hostel is not for you!

• 18th Aug 2014

Thank you so much for your great review and score of the hostel! Your review did make me chuckle and you are right, Location is amazing but noise will be heard and we are a hostel in every way and even though it is clean and loved by the staff it is not a hotel. The value for money in a city, central location is fab! Thank you for pointing this out and hope you had a safe travel onwards!

Enjoyed using the kitchen space provided, which was kept clean. Bathroom facilities were clean despite use by many guests. The rooms were big and offered plenty of space to spread gear out.

Average hostel with decent security, convenient city location, comfortable rooms (extortionately priced for the Fringe Festival) and an interesting apartment-style layout which worked well. Unfortunately let down by their lack of bathroom cleaning - ours were pretty gross and unnecessarily messy.

Thank you for your comments. The fringe festival sees all the hostels and hotels increase in price but we are by far the cheapest still in the city. Regarding cleaning, the bathrooms are cleaned in the morning for a quick fresh up and thoroughly cleaned everyday between 10am-2pm. If guests make a mess of the bathrooms after this, it is just a problem sometimes in a busy season with lots of people using facilities.

Right in the heart of Old Town, just a block from the Royal Mile. Perfect venue to stay at for the festival!

Good hostel, was a great location when visiting the Edinburgh fringe festival, and the staff recommended some great shows and venues whilst we were there! No complaints :)

• 14th Aug 2014

No complaints from us either! :) Lovely to have you and so glad you enjoyed the shows we recommended!

lockers would have been nice

• 10th Aug 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hostel because it was in the perfect part of the city near the Royal Mile. However the rooms needed to be swept and there was only one shower in each flat for about 30 people to share. I also wish there was more of a common area to meet other people. There wasn't a good community area so I hardly met any new people while I was there. Other than those three things, the hostel was pretty good.

• 10th Aug 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The showers are to share between 14 people in your flat not 30 people. The biggest flat we have sleeps 20 and this has 2 showers. We do now have a common area outside which is a fab new courtyard for socialising so hopefully if you come back you will find this improvement. The rooms are swept and hoovered each day however during festival when rooms are very full with bag and people its harder to get in there but it is cleaned everyday!

The hostel has a perfect location, pretty close to all the atmosphere Edinburgh has. People working there are kind and helpful, as all the scottish people I met around. It´s clean, has a good kitchen but no lockers, though I didn´t find it was insecure at all. There´s a good pub just in front of the door, perfect if you want to enjoy the night life there, and if not, it really does´t bother if you are sleeping in the opposite side of the house. I really recommend it.

no lockers suck when you are travelling with something of value however you can leave stuff in reception overnight. very basic hostel with not much to offer, hopefully you end up in a dorm with some interesting people. Otherwise great location, very central

Yes your right we do not have lockers and we are sorry about this. We hope to get them in the near future. You can however keep your valuable items with you or in reception for now. It is basic but a greta price for the location and unique style apartments. We now have an NEW outdoor area for socialising which we hope customers will find much better to mix with guests and have more fun!

Lack of personal lockers. Even a lockable roll-out box under the beds would have worked. It'd encourage people to put their stuff away, and it'd give me peace-of-mind to leave my stuff in the room. The shower-room at the front, next to my bedroom did not get any hot water which was disappointing. On top of that, there were no bathmats. You could put the hand towel on the floor but then you'd leave a soggy towel. The tiles were cracked from people slipping. No common room = no fun

Thank you for your comments. We are gradually upgrading the hostel and we do not have lockers at present. This is noted at your booking stage. We hope to have them in the near future. We do have a common room being opened in the next week or so and we hope everytone can really enjoy this new area! We did get shower mats but they were to slippy so we are ordering wooden ones instead but for now towels can be used. All showers are hot, its so busy with the festival the water needed to reheat

The staff shined here, making sure to help in any way needed. The facilities were in a bit of disrepair, curtain falling off, bad water temperature in the shower and eclectic kitchen equipment. Overall good location if a bit hard to get to.

I am so glad you found the staff shiny!! :) We are always trying to improve the hostel. During the festival when the hostel is fully booked every day the water temperature can go hot and cold sometimes due to volumes of people using it. I'm not sure what you mean about kitchen electrial equipment, it is checked and can be replaced easily. The location is in the old town! fantastic for the Fringe festival!!:)

The hostel was really nice and every apartment has a kitchen. The only problem was that our room didn't have a window so after a couple of days it became really hard to breath, especially when you think that we had our towels to dry with us in the room. The location is excellent: it takes 5 minutes to go to Royal Mile.

I see you stayed on the ground floor which does have a window but due the level of the building it doesnt have an open window. We understand during the summer it can get a little stuffy (when we get some sun) and I am sorry if you experienced this. Please note there are windows in the back, kitchen and toilet, however the bedroom is not an open window for secuirty.