Criterion Art Deco Backpackers Reviews

48 Emerson Street, City Centre, Napier, New Zealand

Very chilled, great location and big clean kitchen

• 4th Feb 2016

The place looks a bit old. But nice common area with a pool table and good wifi. Wish there was a curtain in the room. Nice location!

I am not a 20 something but really enjoyed my stay at the Criterion. Great location right in town and especially liked the large dinning room where I could later do some writing and email quietly in the off hours. I would highly recommend it!

• 31st Jan 2016

Very nice hostel with a great kitchen.

• 22nd Jan 2016

Lots of empty discarded containers left lying around in shower block...not cleared in four day stay.

• 15th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

It was ironic that we chose this hostel in part because it offered parking, given the size of the hostel vs the number of parking spaces (3) and especially as the location of the hostel makes it quite terrible for parking otherwise.

In all Criterion is an above-average backpackers and we enjoyed our stay.

• 4th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

Great location, friendly staff, good facilities

Fantastic location but what made it for me was how friendly the Australian manager was- sorry I didn't catch her name. Felt very welcome and especially loved meeting her dog. Would strongly recommend, only seconds away from the beach!

Hostel in the heart of Napier - friendly staff happy to help and good for the night we stayed

Loved the location of this hostel and the really quirky Art Deco style. Might seem very dated to some, but we really liked it. Bedrooms small with no lockers, but perfectly okay. Downside was that there were lots of long term guests staying here who separated themselves, so sadly there was no real atmosphere for those staying just a few nights. Perfect location though, so ideal for a couple/friends for a stopover in Napier.

I really enjoyed my stay! The hostel is great. Just two things: it gets really crowded in the kitchen so try to make your dinner before or after the main meal times. Second point is that the WiFi doesn't work in the bedrooms but I guess it's not too important

Kaye the manager was wonderful and the hostel was a great location and had everything I needed! There are a lot of long-termers there, but I was able to meet another person passing through and explore Napier with them. Overall would recommend!

A lovely hostel with friendly staff and a laid back homely atmosphere suiting it's beautiful art deco building. Super comfy bed, free breakfast and a good vibe all around helped me extend my stay here a few nights. Top choice in Napier.

The staff were lovely, the atmosphere was also good, despite it being a big place and mostly teenage backpackers (which we aren't). The beds were really comfortable as well!

Friendly staff, good communal atmosphere. Having wifi only in common room was not ideal but not a major problem. Bathrooms are ... okay. Location is excellent, free breakfast very good! I'd go back.

We loved everything except for the German girl who liked to talk on the phone very loudly from 10 pm - midnight in the middle of the hallway as we tried to sleep. It would have been nice to have a staff member tell her to relocate her loud phone calls to another area of the hostel. Great hostel though. We were greeted with free ice cream upon arrival which was cool! Highly recommend. This place has a cool '50's feel too.

Amazing stay here at this fantastic Hostel in Napier. I have already recommended to all my family members :) Thank you so much xo Much Arohanui x

• 4th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

Free Wi-Fi and continental breakfast. Super location and managers are always available/present!

• 21st Nov 2015

Very lovely hostel. Great lounge area, with two TVs and plenty of couches. Free breakfast in the morning a nice touch, but consisted of cheapest kind of cornflakes and some white bread. Nice, helpful staff and really appreciated being upgraded to nicer room because they had some spare space!