Criterion Art Deco Backpackers Reviews

48 Emerson Street, City Centre, Napier, New Zealand

Bang in the centre of Napier on the main high street. Hostel has a good art decor feel and far different from usual industrial style hostels. Older/Family crowd here so not too backpacker social. No lockers which isn't great. Free breakfast each morning is good

Fantastic location. Would use again.

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Excellent art deco building in the middle of an art deco town. Only a short walk from intercity coach terminal. Friendly atmosphere.

Great place! Very quiet!

it was great the only problem was finding the place and some where to park the car. Other then that happy as :)

• 13th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Nice hostel, fab location next to shops but just across road from sea front. Lovely big common areas, kitchen and bathrooms really clean and beds comfy. Would stay again.

Suited us fine for a weekday getaway!! Real enjoyed our stay thank you... :)

• 11th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Really liked this hostel, it is a cool building and the facilities are great. Large communal area, free breakfast, lots of things to do. The only negative I have to say about it was the really bad atmosphere between the stff. The man who seemed to be the manager came across as a bully towards the other staff and had a raised voice argument with a girl while we were all eating our breakfast. It was just pretty unprofessional and I felt sorry for the girl and the other workers.

Awesome friendly staff and free complimentary breakfast was great. But we booked an en-suite and it was just a toilet and shower cubicle in our room. So there was a wall but it was like the public toilets with a gap between the floor and the roof. Was very disturbing in a twin room with that in the room going to the toilet = awkward! so make sure you ask if the en-suite is in a separate room! That is the only reason I rated facilities and value for money as poor.

• 5th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

I have stayed at Criterion Art Deco backpackers before, a couple of years ago. That´s why I chosed that one again. It feels like a home, not a backpackers place. That is just perfect!

• 4th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

One of the hostels, where you step in and you know you are at the right place.

Lovely hostel. Free wifi is fast and an added bonus. Free breakfast was simple but good. Great facilities. The communal lounge, tvs etc all really nice. Rooms were simple but absolutely fine. Great location and really friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend this place.

Free wifi in common areas. Lovely building to go with the 'theme' art deco. Loved my stay here! Friendly staff.

• 26th Jan 2015

Really nice art deco place with good facilities and very central. My wife and I had a very enjoyable stay with our own en suite room. I would definitely recommend the place.

Great setting for a hostel, and the owners are keeping it true to its art deco roots. Well equipped kitchen meaning you can be more ambitious than beans on toast if you like, dorm rooms andbathrooms certainly above the average!! The only negative during my stay would be that that 80-90% of the guests where from Germany, which in itself is no problem!! However, they tended to stick together in a large group meaning it wasn't perhaps the most sociable choice in town.

• 17th Jan 2015

I liked the hostel a lot but probably wouldn't have stayed if I knew the bathrooms weren't private. I didn't feel very safe taking a shower. Neither the showers nor toilets were enclosed.

After all the games, still can't play pool. Had a lovely stay and met some amazing people.

Upon first arrival, there was a nasty urine smell in the main common room/ kitchen area. The manager was not pleasant, hearing the way he spoke to the staff was awful. We had to ask for a map and no information on supermarkets/restaurants in the area was provided. Also, no pamphlets on activities in the area were provided - we had to go to another hostel to get some! The kitchen was well equipped, but the place did not have any atmosphere. The bathrooms were clean and showers nice.

In general a very good stay with a mixture of age groups. However some people do not take responsibility for washing their dishes. Also sometimes the radio/tv was so loud you could hardly hear a conversation.

• 11th Jan 2015

The backpackers had a nice atmosphere with lots of friendly people about in the common area. The room was nice, lots of room and a comfy bed. The bathroom was practical and clean. I was overly impressed with the Backpackers.

• 10th Jan 2015