Criterion Art Deco Backpackers Reviews

48 Emerson Street, City Centre, Napier, New Zealand

Really quirky hostel with great communal areas which are really big. Right on the main street so minutes from everywhere and free WiFi in the communal area.

This place has lots of character, friendly staff and is in the centre of town.

• 28th May 2015

Really cool place, very much in theme with the rest of the city. Perfect location right in downtown. All the facilities and amenities you'd expect.

It is a nice hostel right in the center of Napier. Close to shops, bars, the beach and the bus station. I enjoyed my stay a lot.

The place looked shabby and dull, many light bulbs were not working, particularly in the eating area. The bulb had gone above my bed and I was provided with a lamp with no shade on it. The sheets although clean were very old and grey. Not sure how often the quilt cover got changed as it wasn't one of the items you were required to remove from your bed before you departed. Some of the toilets needed bleach down them. Shower mats were left wet on the floor. There was good WIFI. Staff were helpful

• 20th Apr 2015

First of all, when I arrived at the hostel I had to call for a receptionist using my own phone, which could be inconvenient for somebody that doesn't have a New Zealand number. I also thought the receptionist was not very interested in showing me or telling me much about the hostel. The atmosphere at the hostel was off. Everyone did their own thing and didn't really want to connect with others. The location was PERFECT, 5-7 mins walk from the NakedBus terminal & a block away from the waterfront.

Great situation in the centre of Napier. Friendly staff, found me somewhere to keep my bike. WiFi not great, only in common areas and kept dropping out. My ensuite room was fine with a good shower. Nice lounge and kitchen, easy to chat.

no parking 😞 also we got given two beds which was weird... but it was fine and location was excellent.

Free wifi, free breakfast (cereals, toast, tea/coffee), big common areas.

It's a really cool hostel!! Located in an "art decò" building, huge spaces, very nice and clean showers. Plus pool, tv, movies, etc... A small breakfast is included. My only problem was the mattress in my 4 bed mixed dorm. So uncomfortable, I couldn't sleep. That's a pity cause apart from that I had a very nice experience.

Would recommend. Free unlimited WiFi is a bonus.

I really enjoyed it. Special place, unique Hostel. Fantastic!

• 21st Mar 2015

Nice common area. Included breakfast was basic but good and a good variety. The room was ok. Some spots where the plaster crumbled away from the wall. Bed was worn.

It is a former grand hotel which is no longer grand as you would expect from a backpackers so that is ok. All was fine but not everyone likes shared bathrooms and male and female could have been split as there were two. I could not alert staff for check in when I arrived despite following instructions on ancient fone so had to leave my stuff and contact them via I site, which worked fine and all was well and safe. Single room was very small and basic but quiet at end of corridor.

The art deco hostel is well located, clean and breakfast is included with tea, coffee, milk, cereals, jams and bread. The 4 female bedroom is big enough to store everyone's backpacks. Free WiFi available in the common areas.

Beds are old and feel more like the grand canyon. Bedrooms smell.

Loved this hostel! Aside from the extremely squeeky door, beds are nice and rooms are spacious. Owner was really nice and free breakfast and WiFi are awesome and unheard of in nz. Location was also perfect, Napier is a lovely town.

Really great hostel ! It was really beautiful, exactly like the city "Art Deco". Huge living room with TV, billiard table, balcony... Showers were clean, and kitchen too. Wifi ok. We were in an 8 bed dorm, but actually it was two rooms of 4 beds separated by a door. So more quiet than expected. The dorms are separated from the living room by a huge door so it is very quiet at night. Good price and great location (in city center). However no car park and no elevator to go to the entrance.

Location: Great! Right in the middle of the City Center and one block away from the beautiful beach. Security: Not so good. I mean the front door is wide open. Anyone could come and go. Lots of guests staying there, so how did the keep track of who is staying there and who is not. Cleanliness: On a scale of 1 to 10? I would rate it 5...may be 6. You can tell as you walk around the place that it could use some new paint, carpet cleaning, and maybe even new furniture. Decent place.

• 2nd Mar 2015

Got a good welcome and were shown around. Good ensuite double for us mature travellers but enjoyed company of multi national young and not so young in the good kitchen and lounge areas. Free toast and spreads as well as cereal and drinks for breakfast was a real plus and the art Deco building is a treat to stay inin, as well as being very conveniently situated in the heart of Napier.

• 2nd Mar 2015