Criterion Art Deco Backpackers Reviews

48 Emerson Street, City Centre, Napier, New Zealand

Fantastic location for what I needed, great local options on food/drinks and friendly helpful staff. The free brekkie was a supper bonus - I was only on a short trip so carrying minimal stuff. Not having to worry about this meal was real helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Highly recommended. Will stay again if passing through Napier/Hastings.

• 8th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Stunning location, excellent staff, brilliant hostel. Cant wait to come back

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

Great location, slightly unsanitary bathroom facilities

Fantastic wifi and right in the centre of the city, I visited this backpackers in low season and I am sure that in high season it has a much more vibrant feel. It can be a little difficult to locate staff, but the phone is easy to use.

Really quirky hostel with great communal areas which are really big. Right on the main street so minutes from everywhere and free WiFi in the communal area.

This place has lots of character, friendly staff and is in the centre of town.

• 28th May 2015

Really cool place, very much in theme with the rest of the city. Perfect location right in downtown. All the facilities and amenities you'd expect.

It is a nice hostel right in the center of Napier. Close to shops, bars, the beach and the bus station. I enjoyed my stay a lot.

The place looked shabby and dull, many light bulbs were not working, particularly in the eating area. The bulb had gone above my bed and I was provided with a lamp with no shade on it. The sheets although clean were very old and grey. Not sure how often the quilt cover got changed as it wasn't one of the items you were required to remove from your bed before you departed. Some of the toilets needed bleach down them. Shower mats were left wet on the floor. There was good WIFI. Staff were helpful

• 20th Apr 2015

First of all, when I arrived at the hostel I had to call for a receptionist using my own phone, which could be inconvenient for somebody that doesn't have a New Zealand number. I also thought the receptionist was not very interested in showing me or telling me much about the hostel. The atmosphere at the hostel was off. Everyone did their own thing and didn't really want to connect with others. The location was PERFECT, 5-7 mins walk from the NakedBus terminal & a block away from the waterfront.

Great situation in the centre of Napier. Friendly staff, found me somewhere to keep my bike. WiFi not great, only in common areas and kept dropping out. My ensuite room was fine with a good shower. Nice lounge and kitchen, easy to chat.