Criterion Art Deco Backpackers

8.4
Fabulous 701 Total Reviews

• New Zealand, Couple, 41+
23rd Apr 2017

Just love this place. The manager is a lovely laid back lady with a genuine wish to help and make my stay pleasant. We had a room for 3 and ensuite. It overlooked the street which In hindsight I would not choose as the only negative about the Cri is that a very noisy street sweeper goes up and down the street many times at about 6am I think . A room around the sea would not have this issue...and my wife and daughter slept through it! Maybe it's just me! Great place highly recommend.

• gemcdermott13
  • USA, Female, 25-30
18th Apr 2017

Awesome building, cool friendly atmosphere, super convenient location. Free wifi, movies, games, and a big awesome kitchen. I was very impressed with everything there.

• Scotland, Male, 18-24
16th Apr 2017

Very good and unique hostel. Amazing decor and great building. Social areas are huge with lots of seating and space to socialise and have quiet time alone. Facilities well serviced and complimentary breakfast was a real boon. Would definitely stay again.

• England, Female, 18-24
10th Apr 2017

Such a cool and chilled out Hostel! The free breakfast made my day. Would recommend this place to everyone. They even have a dog! What more could you want?!

• Uruguay, Female, 25-30
7th Apr 2017

Good hostel in the middle of the city centre. Old style hotel with large private rooms. Free unlimited wifi outside the room. Free breakfast which had the basic stuff mainly toasts. The only con I can find is that there is no near parking space.

22nd Mar 2017

Having seen other reviews of this hostel, we approached with a degree of trepidation, but as we were only staying one night we thought we'd give it a chance. Very glad we did. The hostel itself is lovely, with one of the nicest and largest common areas I've seen. Excellent kitchen, and the dorms were absolutely fine. To those people who've written disparaging comments about the landlady, I can see why some people don't get her sense of humour, but if you do, she's great. Loosen up a bit.

• USA, Male, 18-24
21st Mar 2017

Great hostel everyone is super friendly and social. You'll definitely not want to leave, but when you do you'll have surely made great friends. Kay is super nice and cares about all of her guest.

• USA, Female, 25-30
20th Mar 2017

My mate and I truly enjoyed our stay here; mainly after our horrored stay at a hostel previous to this. Such a quaint spot in the heart of the town. Great Place & Great Location for the $$.

• England, Female, 31-40
17th Mar 2017

I enjoyed my stay, met some lovely people, beautiful old 1930s style building, staff friendly, good facilities, 10 bed female dorm is a large room so lots of space and you're not on top of each other, some noisy guests getting drunk and leaving a bit of a mess in common room but I don't think this is a every day occurrence.

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
17th Mar 2017
6.0

The building was cool, but the hostel, like the city, was a complete train wreck. If you're looking for a party vibe, this might fit the bill, as everyone, including the staff was blatantly drunk. The free wifi was not working during the 3 days we were there, and no one seemed to eager to fix it. Napier's restaurants and shops were no better for free wifi, perhaps try the library if this is a necessity on your visit. On a positive note, the kitchen was large & a free light breakfast is provided.