DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

First thing's first - they make you take your shoes off and issue flimsy "slippers" to walk around the building. I'm sure it's to create a "cozy" atmosphere and to save on carpet cleaning. It's just a hassle, and an inconvenient gimmick. That being said, it's still very good value for money. I had a 4 bed co-ed en suite, which was clean, if bare. The common areas could be doing with a more cleaning though. Making everybody take their shoes off is not an excuse for not vacuuming!

hey there, thanks so much for your review. We pride ourselves in cleaning (I do repeat this sometimes), and we MOP and VACUUM EVERY SURFACE of the hostel DAILY, during our 6 hour non-stop clean up effort in the morning. The slippers is not a gimmick, and they are intended to keep guests cozy. We professionally shampoo the carpets as well, so that's not an issue. However, we've noticed that over 95% of the people DO enjoy them, and so we offer this extra gift! thanks again

Good hostel, clean beds, good facilities/chill out zones, really helpful and accommodating staff. Location is fantastic - about a 15/20 minute walk away from the Washington Monument.

• 23rd May 2014

it was my greatest hostel experience so far! had a great time, no complaints at all

• 21st May 2014

This is a very good place to stay and very convenient because it is in the center of the city.

• 21st May 2014
  • chienhsinwu
  • Taiwan

We had a great time at DC Lofty! We were happy with the off-street parking and the vibe of the hostel. I was initially worried that it would be a strict place because of all of the rules listed on the description, but the staff were super nice and laid back. Mike even hung out with us for a bit after his shift one night and gave us some recommendations for the rest of our road trip. Met some great folks there!

it is close the metro and about 25 minute walk to the Mall; the breakfast is not too bad; security is good and the staff are very helpful. Wifi is quick too. You get your money's worth by staying in this hostel. It is close to many heritage attractions. You can walk from the metro station (Convention centre station) to the hostel if you do not too much lugguge.

I had a great time in DC staying in this hostel. DC always means a lot of walking. Having this in mind, it was no problem to walk to National Mall in the morning and walk back in the evening. There is a supermarket and several convenience stores close by... kitchen was clean but the fridges were not... no prob to store some milk, but I wouldn't leave food in there...The room - probably got the best one - was very large. The beds were good and the bathroom almost fancy :) Great value for money!!!

The staff was really friendly and the hostel was clean, The other guest we're really nice and we had some interesting conversations. I can definitly recommend the hostel.

Nice and clean hostel. Pleasant staff. Good location to visit DC for one or two days.

• 7th May 2014

the hostel was good in general terms. i didn't like the fact that we must take our shoes off at the entrace (the bad smell at the door was awfull!!). the shower was pretty poor, but the water was hot enough. they don't put soap in the restrooms for handwashing, c'mon! anyway, the hostel is very well located, you can go by feet to the white house and other turistic places. the guy from the staff that was at the evening was pretty cool. wifi worked perfectly. they should take out the floor carpets

I stayed at DC Lofty for 3 nights, when I got there I got hotel loafers to wear inside and the rooms and kitchen is very clean. The shower were a bit difficult to get good temperature. It's like a half an hour walk to the White House but metro is farely close. It's a quiet and friendly hostel.

I was very disappointed because I lost my shoes in the hostel!!! So weird.....What made me upset was the staff who takes little care of the customer's stuff.( They ask every customer to leave their shoes at the door.) They were very indifferent at this and had done nothing at my lost of the shoes, even not an apology. Also, the shower facility doesn't work well with unsteady temperatures. Take care if you choose it and good luck.

• 4th May 2014
  • China

hey there, that was a very strange occurrence, and we're very sorry you experienced it. As per our email response to you, we haven't received a response for the price of the shoes to see if we could cover the loss. Additionally, we've looked over the cameras and couldn't confirm that the shoes were gone, as house keeping staff moves them up from the floor and puts them in the bins.. Currently we have a few extra pairs, but we're not sure if yours or not =/ thanks for your review

The location of the hostel is absolutely great, so are most of the staff members, but cleanliness and aspects of payment/ billing methods are debatable...

• 29th Apr 2014

The dorm rooms were comfortable including the beds and there was sufficient space in the room for bags and to move around. The kitchen and lounge areas are also comfortable and well equipped, however there was at times lacking some cutlery, plates etc, plus it was difficult having a rule where food had to labelled individually rather than in one bag as things would go missing. The downside to this hostel was the bathrooms and would be good to see improved. While still clean, needed upgrade.

This is a nice hostel. I love the brick walls in the rooms. They give you a pair of slippers when you check-in . The shower in the hallway always had hot water. Staff is average but the cleaning lady was wonderful. Just a short walk from the metro and on a nice day you can walk to Ust for some food.

• 25th Apr 2014

Second time I have stayed here, great place. Something in the kitchen smelled a little off the whole time I was there, but I was not in the building enough for it to bother me terribly.

• 21st Apr 2014

It was one of my great time there in DC. What i love most was the bathroom, it's really clean. The staff there were so lovely and helpful.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I had a great time at the hostel. The staff was great! The only complain I had was the shower. It took a really long time to get warm and we needed to keep the sink running for it to get warm.

This is an amazing hostel. They provide you with sleepers which is a very cool detail. The kitchen is very well equiped and they have free pancakes! The rooms are very clean and they provide with lockers and an individual light and plug, also very useful. Highly recommended.

Comfortable, relaxed and easy going. A very nice hostel within easy walking distance of the sights of D.C. but far away enough to be quite at night. Comfy beds, full cooking facilities and lockers provided (but, as usual, bring your own padlock). Only a short walk from bars and pubs too! The staff were all friendly, happy to help and the manager was very knowledgeable and easy to chat with. Would definitely recommend this place to friends!

View all Washington DC Hostels