DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

Not very good. Quite average. No curtains on the bunk beds, and not the cleanest of hostels. But it wasn't too bad.

Staff was nice and very helpfull. One of them lent me his cellphone to book a bus as it didnt work online. Perfect size for a hostel, not too small, not too big, nice and comfortable atmosphere. Bathroom was a bit little though. I liked that they had proper warm blankets and 2 computers with internet for free use. It was good value for money (I paid about 20 USD including tax in the 8 bed dorm per night). The location was in walking distance to the main sights.

Party hostel with noisy drinking and crude convos w/staff until 2 am or later. Kitchen lacks oven and cups. Bad water pressure, bad heating, missing windows, broken showers, no clothes pegs in showers, missing light bulbs, dirty, saggiest beds ever. Female staffer, Melanie, has extremely acidic personality and alternates between complaining about her job, complaining about guests, and flirting (?). One of the employees got really drunk and crawled into the bed of a sleeping female guest!!! wtf?

Overall the hostel was a great place to stay, great location, and fun atmosphere. However the showers left a lot to be wanting. The water pressure was very low, and you had to turn on the hot water on the sink at the same time in order for the tankless water heaters to recognize that there was a demand for hot water. The shower felt like drizzle, and it was hard to feel like you were able to get clean. Additionally the beds were very thin and you could feel the wire supports under the mattress.

• 27th Oct 2015

The hostel is well located but i find it not clean enough. When i tried to take a shower hot water only worked with an special workaround. I think is a hostel for young people who dont care how they sleep: mattresses were hard as a rock. I only stayed one night out of the 3 I booked. I changed hostel.

The room and bathroom were very clean, and I was happy that we had one bathroom just for the 4 of us in the room. However, it was difficult to get hot water from the shower and there was hardly any pressure. I liked that I was able to check in during the morning. It was walking distance from all the major museums.

The shower in the downstairs bathroom has no hot water no pressure. The sink in the same bathroom doesn't drain and was overflowing with dirty water. The floors where hairy and dirty upon arrival and remained that way throughout our stay. The location of the hostel and the fact we were spending. Very little time there was the only reason we were able to stay two nights.

• 23rd Oct 2015

Nice place, interesting people, helpful staff.

The people at DC lofty, especially Josh, are very nice and make people feel welcome. I would recommend it even though the showers are not very good (very low water pressure) and it gets very noisy at night. If you are in the DC average for work, you might want to go to a quieter hostel. If you want to have fun and like socializing with people, go to this hostel. I had a very nice stay even if I did not get as much sleep as I would have liked. The hostel is in a pleasant neighborhood.

• 15th Oct 2015

I had a great time in DC Lofty. The hostel is well located, clean, and safe.The owner and manager is very friendly and helpful, thanks Josh! I highly recommend this place.

The staff is the best

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Argentina

The place was very friendly and free to stay. Just like home. If in DC I would consider staying there again

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Zimbabwe

Could not find the staff, in the morning. Hot water for my shower disapeared after a few minutes. Shower handle came off in my hand when trying to adjust. Second hand smoke drifts into the room from the deck. 20 foot from the building?

I thought that the hostel was great in providing a space to cook and store food, althought the stair were a bit wobbly. The bed was good and I felt that the rooms were an acceptable value for money

One of my roommates was throwing up in the middle of night after too much drinking, but thanks to the night shift manager, Josh, the room was immediately cleaned and sprayed with disinfectant with bed sheets changed. Josh diverted that group of happy drunks to a different room so the rest of people in the dorm can get some rest. Most grateful....

Positive: Ten minute walk from the subway. A grocery store almost next door. Good wifi. Free city maps. Negative: The matress, pillow and blanket were quite dirty and disgusting. Luckily I noticed it only when I removed the linen on the day of checking out. The shower was on very low pressure and it wasn't sure there will be hot water. Other people used the bathroom in our room, somehow they had gotten the door code.

BE CAREFULL WHEN CHOOSING THIS HOSTEL: Towels dirty / Cold water in our shower / Bathroom not cleaned / NOT a tranquil atmosphere :Parties during weekend (LOUD music until 4 am) / NOT easy to cook in the kitchen: Counter is full of dirty dishes. Letter from our roommates: "We decided to leave this hostel today. It has been three days for us without hot water no one has fixed it. We are also upset about no one cleaning our shower, fixing the sink and coming into our room without knocking."

• 24th Sep 2015

Very friendly but wifi is weak almost everywhere. Near downtown

Good stay overall. Comfy beds just need darker curtains to block sunlight into the rooms. Guy who checked me in was good and helpful and wifi was great. One of the night staff was pretty awful. He had friends over to the hostel at night and his friend was saying horrible racist and homophobic things for hours. That same staff member had someone drop by to sell him drugs too, not a safe or cool thing to do at work where travelers are trying to feel safe and sleep.

Great place to stay