DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

Good kitchen and rooms, near to metro station, easy to get to attractions, good and friendly people.

hey there, thanks a lot for your review!

The best description of this hostel is 'unpleasant'. When booking a hostel you expect a drop in quality from a stay in a hotel but this hostel was very disappointing. The rooms are not clean. It's not a stretch to assume this place has never seen a vacuum. The staff ranged from indifferent to rude and are not helpful with questions about the city or your stay. The location is excellent if you are looking to visit the main tourist attractions but I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 17th Jun 2014

The hostel is really clean and secure, with excellent amenities: a well-equipped kitchen, fast WiFi along with a couple of desktops if you don't have a computer, a nice lounge area with a big TV, and a BBQ out back. The bathrooms are kept clean, and there is plentiful hot water -- it just takes a minute to get going. If you're driving in, there's parking in back for a small fee. The dorm rooms were cool and clean. Don't hesitate to book here if you're looking for a solid budget option in DC.

hey there, thank you for a longer review, so that other guests' can have a better idea of what the place is like! We've set the place up like what your home away from home could be like, and it's nice when it works. Thank you for mentioning the showers...we constantly get reviews on those, due to people not understanding the tank-less concept, and how rewarding endless hot water is. Also, thanks for mentioning our working ACs, thanks again!

The place was very calm and friendly. Unfortunately the rooms were hot. However cleanliness of rooms and bathrooms were impeccable. Good place to stay in Washington!

Stayed at the 4-bed female dorm, mid-June, where the weather was pretty warm. The dorm at the top of the stairs didn't have AC (well, they did, but you couldn't feel any air conditioning whatsoever), and during summer, it could be pretty nasty. Had to ask for a fan instead. Also, there are no elevators, keep in mind if you have a huge suitcase. Price wise, if you're going to be with more than two people, better to just rent a room in a better hotel. The innkeeper (Tom) was very nice though.

• 9th Jun 2014
  • Indonesia

hey there, thanks so much for your review. We do apologize for the lack of HVAC in your room. We have segmented HVAC installed throughout the building, and the top floor on one side of the building HVAC had broken for a few days. We've installed window units in all 4 rooms to alleviate that issue, and since then we've fixed the HVAC as well, thank you for your understanding.

Fair hostel in an excellent location in DC. I recommend it!

Good hostel choice, try to go to their roof top pool (at another building) if you can. Could have been cleaner, but was very busy, which also made it noise for sleeping. Our air con was broken which was a bit annoying. Overall I'd recommend.

I booked this place last minute so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Was a pretty decent hostel. Relatively close to the metro. Bed was decent. Plenty of power outlets. Staff were cool and laid back. Good common area with two big TVs and several lounges. Good kitchen area.

Staff was very nice. Kitchen and common room great. Basement bathroom was a bit humid. Just a short walks distance from main attractions.

It was best hostel for me in Washington. I slept in 4 female room, the room was quite big and it has private restroom which is so clean. You can go anywhere if you can walk about 10minutes. But one thing... the water was so cold. I had to finish my shower very quickly since the water tempreture. Except for that, it is awesome.

• 31st May 2014
  • South Korea

hey there, thank you for your review. The water heater issue has been resolved, but we understand some guests are still perplexed. We use tank less water heaters, and it takes 5-10 minutes for the cold water to run through, and hot water to come up, and that's just how the system works. Afterwards, it's flawless delivery forever! thank you so much for nice review!

Just a place to sleep. Be prepared to be on your own. Don't expect tons of activities or information from the front desk.

hey there, sorry you felt alone. We have Wednesdays YOGA that is run by the gym for $5, and staff as well as guests can go. We go to pool/Jacuzzi on Thursdays and other days of the week. We have special discount for OLD trolley bus, as well as some food tours, and will suggest and/or go out with you on Friday and Saturday nights! Also, now that the patios (July, 2014) are getting super nice upgrade, we will have nice evenings out there on hammocks!

Ideal for students trips etc. Generally there are no really bad points if sleeping i. A room with many people doesnt bother you. The staff is friendly, the atmosphere was nice when we were there but that depends on the current visitors for the biggest part.

• 27th May 2014

I've read other reviews where people complained about the showers not having hot water. I specifically decided to test them and see for myself. The hot water takes a minute to start flowing so turn it on first, then turn on the cold water. The controls are very sensitive so make very small adjustments. Once I had the temperature set the way I wanted, I did not run out of hot water and I took a 15 minute shower to test. Also, the hostel can be warm in summer, wish they had fans in the rooms.

• 27th May 2014

hey there, I LOVE that you tested it! We have tank less water heaters, and different cultures have not experienced that =). The water TAKES time to come up, but then it never ends. In a BUSY hostel, that is the perfect thing, as there is hot water always! thank you so much!

First thing's first - they make you take your shoes off and issue flimsy "slippers" to walk around the building. I'm sure it's to create a "cozy" atmosphere and to save on carpet cleaning. It's just a hassle, and an inconvenient gimmick. That being said, it's still very good value for money. I had a 4 bed co-ed en suite, which was clean, if bare. The common areas could be doing with a more cleaning though. Making everybody take their shoes off is not an excuse for not vacuuming!

hey there, thanks so much for your review. We pride ourselves in cleaning (I do repeat this sometimes), and we MOP and VACUUM EVERY SURFACE of the hostel DAILY, during our 6 hour non-stop clean up effort in the morning. The slippers is not a gimmick, and they are intended to keep guests cozy. We professionally shampoo the carpets as well, so that's not an issue. However, we've noticed that over 95% of the people DO enjoy them, and so we offer this extra gift! thanks again

Good hostel, clean beds, good facilities/chill out zones, really helpful and accommodating staff. Location is fantastic - about a 15/20 minute walk away from the Washington Monument.

• 23rd May 2014

it was my greatest hostel experience so far! had a great time, no complaints at all

• 21st May 2014

This is a very good place to stay and very convenient because it is in the center of the city.

• 21st May 2014
  • chienhsinwu
  • Taiwan

We had a great time at DC Lofty! We were happy with the off-street parking and the vibe of the hostel. I was initially worried that it would be a strict place because of all of the rules listed on the description, but the staff were super nice and laid back. Mike even hung out with us for a bit after his shift one night and gave us some recommendations for the rest of our road trip. Met some great folks there!

it is close the metro and about 25 minute walk to the Mall; the breakfast is not too bad; security is good and the staff are very helpful. Wifi is quick too. You get your money's worth by staying in this hostel. It is close to many heritage attractions. You can walk from the metro station (Convention centre station) to the hostel if you do not too much lugguge.

I had a great time in DC staying in this hostel. DC always means a lot of walking. Having this in mind, it was no problem to walk to National Mall in the morning and walk back in the evening. There is a supermarket and several convenience stores close by... kitchen was clean but the fridges were not... no prob to store some milk, but I wouldn't leave food in there...The room - probably got the best one - was very large. The beds were good and the bathroom almost fancy :) Great value for money!!!

View all Washington DC Hostels