DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

the hostel was good in general terms. i didn't like the fact that we must take our shoes off at the entrace (the bad smell at the door was awfull!!). the shower was pretty poor, but the water was hot enough. they don't put soap in the restrooms for handwashing, c'mon! anyway, the hostel is very well located, you can go by feet to the white house and other turistic places. the guy from the staff that was at the evening was pretty cool. wifi worked perfectly. they should take out the floor carpets

I stayed at DC Lofty for 3 nights, when I got there I got hotel loafers to wear inside and the rooms and kitchen is very clean. The shower were a bit difficult to get good temperature. It's like a half an hour walk to the White House but metro is farely close. It's a quiet and friendly hostel.

I was very disappointed because I lost my shoes in the hostel!!! So weird.....What made me upset was the staff who takes little care of the customer's stuff.( They ask every customer to leave their shoes at the door.) They were very indifferent at this and had done nothing at my lost of the shoes, even not an apology. Also, the shower facility doesn't work well with unsteady temperatures. Take care if you choose it and good luck.

• 4th May 2014
  • China

hey there, that was a very strange occurrence, and we're very sorry you experienced it. As per our email response to you, we haven't received a response for the price of the shoes to see if we could cover the loss. Additionally, we've looked over the cameras and couldn't confirm that the shoes were gone, as house keeping staff moves them up from the floor and puts them in the bins.. Currently we have a few extra pairs, but we're not sure if yours or not =/ thanks for your review

The location of the hostel is absolutely great, so are most of the staff members, but cleanliness and aspects of payment/ billing methods are debatable...

• 29th Apr 2014

This hostel does not care if your flight or train is delayed and can't arrive before 10PM. They'll charge you an extra $10 regardless. Even after explaining the situation, they just tell you, "tough luck." I don't agree with a $10 surcharge for a late arrival that you can't control because of inclement weather or travel carrier issues. Other hostels are aware that delays are bound to happen and don't penalize you if you can't arrive by a certain time.

The dorm rooms were comfortable including the beds and there was sufficient space in the room for bags and to move around. The kitchen and lounge areas are also comfortable and well equipped, however there was at times lacking some cutlery, plates etc, plus it was difficult having a rule where food had to labelled individually rather than in one bag as things would go missing. The downside to this hostel was the bathrooms and would be good to see improved. While still clean, needed upgrade.

This is a nice hostel. I love the brick walls in the rooms. They give you a pair of slippers when you check-in . The shower in the hallway always had hot water. Staff is average but the cleaning lady was wonderful. Just a short walk from the metro and on a nice day you can walk to Ust for some food.

• 25th Apr 2014

Second time I have stayed here, great place. Something in the kitchen smelled a little off the whole time I was there, but I was not in the building enough for it to bother me terribly.

• 21st Apr 2014

It was one of my great time there in DC. What i love most was the bathroom, it's really clean. The staff there were so lovely and helpful.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I had a great time at the hostel. The staff was great! The only complain I had was the shower. It took a really long time to get warm and we needed to keep the sink running for it to get warm.

This is an amazing hostel. They provide you with sleepers which is a very cool detail. The kitchen is very well equiped and they have free pancakes! The rooms are very clean and they provide with lockers and an individual light and plug, also very useful. Highly recommended.

Comfortable, relaxed and easy going. A very nice hostel within easy walking distance of the sights of D.C. but far away enough to be quite at night. Comfy beds, full cooking facilities and lockers provided (but, as usual, bring your own padlock). Only a short walk from bars and pubs too! The staff were all friendly, happy to help and the manager was very knowledgeable and easy to chat with. Would definitely recommend this place to friends!

The stuff were pretty nice but inside the dorm was terrible. It was really hot, dry and noisy. It was over 80 degree in DC while I was there but they still kept the heater on 24 hours per day. It was really insane, loud, and it dried me out. Also, don't expect shower nicely because they don't have hot water at most time. All people in my dorm complained about these but we just don't know if they care because nothing changed. I had very very very bad qulity of sleeping for my several nights.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • China

hey there, thank you for your review. The temperature went up unexpected, and the heat was left on until about 2AM in the morning, at that point it was turned down and changed in to cooling setting for your levels. We do have hot water always, due to tank less water heaters installed - we're sorry you had trouble using them - as cold water has to rise through the pipes, until hot water reaches it. With tank less, unused water sits cold, thanks

Matrasses smell dirty and notl possibility to open a window in the (private twins) room

• 7th Apr 2014

hey there, thank you for your comment. We will check it out, and see what's wrong with the window in your room, as well as why the brand new thick memory foam mattresses that we just got could smell, and if they're dirty we'll go ahead and wash them completely, thanks again.

I was in a four bed dorm with ensuite. It did not even have hot water.the place needed a good clean

hey there, We've just gone through all of the showers, as we routinely due, to confirm that all of them have hot water 100% of the time. As you used the shower outside your room, it is the low flow shower head one, and thus turning on the faucet will get hot water very fast to it. Also, we clean the place like crazy every day =(, could you email us and be more specific what we missed? thank you

I had to pay 14% more of the price contrary to what was said in my contract: when it says "balance due" in the contract I understand that this is ALL that is due, and that there is NOTHING that needs to be added!!!!! Bad surprise for me when I arrived; hot shower only when the tap it wanted to give you hot shower... not environment friendly to have to have the tap opened while showering; someone ate my breakfast on the last day so I had to have pasta for breakfast; not always wifi.

14.5% is DC Sales Tax that EVERY hostel will charge you in DC. We're sorry to hear you were shocked by this, as we have no control over eliminating taxes. Thank you for mentioning that for the showers, the HOT water IS WORKING. We've installed environmentally friendly shower heads in TWO showers, and they don't have enough pressure to quickly invite hot water; but turning on the faucet to "demand" more hot water does the trick! Your food was unlabeled =(, and wifi works =)

It's like a half hour walk to all the monuments and stuff, which isn't bad but it gets kind of old. Inside is clean and the staff is helpful. Security in the hostel was definitely not a problem, the neighborhood isn't the best but at the same time its not in the ghetto or anything that bad either.

Liked it a lot, atmosphere was GREAT and location too. I could get the bike (try the bikeshare!) everyday downtown, barely any traffic and just minutes away from everything. The staff was great too.

Great place to stay in D.C. Super close to two super markets and the National Mall is a 30 min walk away. Don't bring a frozen pizza or a large roast for there is the lack of a oven. I would have to say that is the only down side to this amazing off the international chain hostel grid. Definitely recommend a stay here at this place, I know I will be back when I'm in the Capitol.

• 29th Mar 2014