DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

A great place to stay - close to the metro line that leads you downtown and very secure. The staff hours are a bit weird, but they're very helpful when you catch them!

Nice and friendly place to stay. More or less close to everything

• 6th Jul 2013
  • Switzerland

I was placed in a room upstairs by Bernard with two males on one side. I was the only female on the other side. I went to sleep and a third man arrived. I looked to see who was in the room I saw all three men were nearly naked in their beds two accross and one beneath. I was extremely uncomfortable having chosen the 8 bed dorm. I'm not sure why Bernard changed my booking confirmation. I did end up leaving the room and was really unhappy about losing sleep in the middle of the morning.

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Malawi

hey there, thank you for high grades across the categories. We do apologize for the uncomfortable situation. I have researched the reservation, and I saw that it was your choice to stay in a single bed for the entire stay, rather than have to switch rooms every night, and that was the only option. As this has happened, we have refunded the rest of your stay, and you were not charged, thanks!

I really recomend this hostel , very clean and nice. The Staff are cutural and helpful. I am pretty sure when I come to DC next time I ll take this hostel again!

I'm not sure if it was just our experience but we didn't find the hostel in accordance with our expectations. First of all is at a long walk from any of the touristic attractions of Washington, secondly the staff at the front desk was rude and unhelpful when asked for directions, she kept texting on her phone, and finally a room in the basement with a suspicious carpet is not what we were expecting for that money. Honestly, is your choice, but I would try to find another place.

• 4th Jul 2013
  • Spain

hey there, thank you for your review. Cleanliness is our number 1 importance. All of the carpets have recently been changed since 2012/2013 winter updates. They are deep washed regularly, and vacuumed DAILY, as is the entire hostel (mopped, etc.). We also provide you with FREE slippers, that are 100% clean, as they are new - and with no shoes inside, it's very unlikely to even get anything dirty in first place. The rude staff was let go, we do apologize for that, thank you.

Great people, great place, good location, the barbecue was great to meet new people, everything was very clean, the bedroom had enough space and the livings were very nice too. The only downside I found was my mattress, that was waaaay too soft and gave me a back ache.

• 3rd Jul 2013

I would not recommend anyone to stay at the DC Lofty Hostel because 1) there were bedbugs in the bed I was sleeping on (I did not notice this until the morning I was packing to leave to go home when I found 2 bedbugs on the bed), 2) the hostel is not located in a safe area in DC, 3) the showers ran out of warm water quickly leaving me to take cold showers, 4) the bunk beds are uncomfortable to sleep in, if the person above you moves up/down the ladder or on the top bed then the entire bed shakes

• 3rd Jul 2013

hey there, thank you for a lengthy review, and we must respond. 1) We have no bed bugs, we had the hostel inspected with dogs and found none.... We also take preventive care with a revolutionary product that is effective at nearly 100% - contact us privately if you would like to find out more. 2) The hostel is located far into NW - the safest quadrangle of Washington, DC 3) The showers have tankless non-stop hot water heaters. 4) Please let us know of that, and we would fix immediately!

expensive tax and late fee.

hey there, thank you for rating us highly across the categories listed. We do apologize for the DC tax - it is the highest in the country. We are one of only 4 LEGAL hostels in Washington, DC. AND 1 of only 3 that carry insurance for every thing - protecting our guests from both: unexpected business shut down, and health and safety issues. The insurance and to some extent DC laws require us to close at 10PM...and thus late fees for higher premiums to stay open later. thank you

I chose for the low price, but it actually was one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Great amenities, helpful staff.

I have plenty of examples as to how rude or unhelpful the staff was, but there aren't enough characters allowed to share the best response. Essentially - the staff was sub-par, and the expectation that you remove your shoes and either purchase footwear or use the cast off slippers from other guests (this is your free option!) was gross. I knew that we would have to remove our shoes when I made the reservation, but the website says free slippers are provided (and I assumed they'd be clean).

• 29th Jun 2013

hey there, We are sorry for your experience with a staff member, who has now been terminated.... We do provide you FREE and NEW slippers..... everyone gets new and free slippers out of a plastic sealed bag.... We simply took yours out to prepare it for you, and we have stopped doing that now.... thanks for the great reviews on location, security, and cleanliness (our pride - thus the clean slippers inside and NO shoes)!

I was disappointed with my stay at the D.C. Lofty. First, I did not enjoy being forced to remove my shoes at the front door before even hauling my luggage inside the door. Secondly, I was desperate to use the bathroom, which I did in the dorm that I was assigned, and the toilet stopped up and was declared "out-of-order" for the rest of my stay, requiring that I go upstairs or downstairs to use another bathroom. There was also NO HOT WATER on two occasions that I tried to take a bath.

hey there, Thank you for positive grades; we apologize for the "once - off" incidents - someone had clogged the toilet until next day, and we should have explained how TANK LESS water heaters work to you ......... We ask everyone to take their shoes off - and in return we give you FREE slippers to wear inside. As we are the ONLY hostel that does this, it could be a bit strange at first - but it helps keep the place really clean, and provides you comfort - usually people don't object.

Really good place to stay for backpackers. Clean, good location, friendly staff, not expencive. I recommended ;-)

hey there, thank you for a great review! It's good to know you enjoyed the free slippers, and the new showers/bathrooms (not in review, but we were told at the front desk), thanks!

The room upstairs did not have air conditioning, which caused me to have a difficult time falling asleep.

• 14th Jun 2013

Air conditioning was notcworking

• 14th Jun 2013

For the price DC Lofty is good. I had a private single room which was a little small, but the major downfall was a too soft mattress. Bedding was clean as was the room and shared bath was also a good level of cleanliness. The passage walls could use a coat of paint to improve outward appearance and carpet a bit shabby. However service was excellent, thanks Bernard!

• 13th Jun 2013

Location is not perfect but You can walk to museums area, I did. They don't offer a breakfast so if you have not food You need to walk about a mile to first subway restaurant. Generally I think it's good place to stay. Local neighbourhood looks very save.

The 'no shoes' rule that is implemented seems generally unwanted by the guests. It would make sense, however, the hostel was not clean and guests have to walk between buildings to use different facilities. As paying customers, this was particularly confusing since staff members wore their shoes in and around the hostel. Generally had a good stay, but it could have been improved if we were treated more like paying guests rather than children.

• 9th Jun 2013

Thanks for the service and kindness while our stay.

I was extremely happy with my stay at DC Lofty! The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and I felt very safe. However, the shower in my room was nearly impossible to keep at a steady temperature. Also, I wasn't impressed one night when the "extra" person (we used 3 out of 4 beds) arrived at 2am and proceeded to bang around the room and (loudly) take a shower. If this had happened at normal check in time before 10, I wouldn't have minded. Overall though, I had a very positive experience.

• 3rd Jun 2013

It was a good hostel with a nice staff. But the security felt poor. They had the same pincode at our whole stay, and we wondered how often they change the password, can people that stay at this hostel a whole ago come back and get into our room? Or how often does the pincode get changed?

View all Washington DC Hostels