DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

expensive tax and late fee.

hey there, thank you for rating us highly across the categories listed. We do apologize for the DC tax - it is the highest in the country. We are one of only 4 LEGAL hostels in Washington, DC. AND 1 of only 3 that carry insurance for every thing - protecting our guests from both: unexpected business shut down, and health and safety issues. The insurance and to some extent DC laws require us to close at 10PM...and thus late fees for higher premiums to stay open later. thank you

I chose for the low price, but it actually was one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Great amenities, helpful staff.

I have plenty of examples as to how rude or unhelpful the staff was, but there aren't enough characters allowed to share the best response. Essentially - the staff was sub-par, and the expectation that you remove your shoes and either purchase footwear or use the cast off slippers from other guests (this is your free option!) was gross. I knew that we would have to remove our shoes when I made the reservation, but the website says free slippers are provided (and I assumed they'd be clean).

• 29th Jun 2013

hey there, We are sorry for your experience with a staff member, who has now been terminated.... We do provide you FREE and NEW slippers..... everyone gets new and free slippers out of a plastic sealed bag.... We simply took yours out to prepare it for you, and we have stopped doing that now.... thanks for the great reviews on location, security, and cleanliness (our pride - thus the clean slippers inside and NO shoes)!

I was disappointed with my stay at the D.C. Lofty. First, I did not enjoy being forced to remove my shoes at the front door before even hauling my luggage inside the door. Secondly, I was desperate to use the bathroom, which I did in the dorm that I was assigned, and the toilet stopped up and was declared "out-of-order" for the rest of my stay, requiring that I go upstairs or downstairs to use another bathroom. There was also NO HOT WATER on two occasions that I tried to take a bath.

hey there, Thank you for positive grades; we apologize for the "once - off" incidents - someone had clogged the toilet until next day, and we should have explained how TANK LESS water heaters work to you ......... We ask everyone to take their shoes off - and in return we give you FREE slippers to wear inside. As we are the ONLY hostel that does this, it could be a bit strange at first - but it helps keep the place really clean, and provides you comfort - usually people don't object.

Really good place to stay for backpackers. Clean, good location, friendly staff, not expencive. I recommended ;-)

hey there, thank you for a great review! It's good to know you enjoyed the free slippers, and the new showers/bathrooms (not in review, but we were told at the front desk), thanks!

The room upstairs did not have air conditioning, which caused me to have a difficult time falling asleep.

• 14th Jun 2013

Air conditioning was notcworking

• 14th Jun 2013

For the price DC Lofty is good. I had a private single room which was a little small, but the major downfall was a too soft mattress. Bedding was clean as was the room and shared bath was also a good level of cleanliness. The passage walls could use a coat of paint to improve outward appearance and carpet a bit shabby. However service was excellent, thanks Bernard!

• 13th Jun 2013

Location is not perfect but You can walk to museums area, I did. They don't offer a breakfast so if you have not food You need to walk about a mile to first subway restaurant. Generally I think it's good place to stay. Local neighbourhood looks very save.

The 'no shoes' rule that is implemented seems generally unwanted by the guests. It would make sense, however, the hostel was not clean and guests have to walk between buildings to use different facilities. As paying customers, this was particularly confusing since staff members wore their shoes in and around the hostel. Generally had a good stay, but it could have been improved if we were treated more like paying guests rather than children.

• 9th Jun 2013

Thanks for the service and kindness while our stay.

I was extremely happy with my stay at DC Lofty! The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and I felt very safe. However, the shower in my room was nearly impossible to keep at a steady temperature. Also, I wasn't impressed one night when the "extra" person (we used 3 out of 4 beds) arrived at 2am and proceeded to bang around the room and (loudly) take a shower. If this had happened at normal check in time before 10, I wouldn't have minded. Overall though, I had a very positive experience.

• 3rd Jun 2013

It was a good hostel with a nice staff. But the security felt poor. They had the same pincode at our whole stay, and we wondered how often they change the password, can people that stay at this hostel a whole ago come back and get into our room? Or how often does the pincode get changed?

They should list the address of the building you have to check into; one worker didn't know anything about bus schedule, nor did she refer me to any other resources; other than that, everything else was great--i especially appreciated all the electrical outlets.

It is a good place for sleeping. However, it was hot in my room because the AC is bad during the summer. You have to take a bus to the metro station or attractions.

I've stayed here twice now. It's clean, quiet and in a nice area close to the attractions. Just watch out for the late arrival fees. Thankfully the woman who was working when we arrived agreed to waive these for us as they hadn't been made clear to us in advance. We would have definitely arrived earlier if we'd known about them. After 10 pm before 11 pm the fee is $20, after 11 pm before 12 (midnight) fee is $30, and at midnight $40 (midnight is the latest allowed to check-in).

The whole stay was awesome. Everything was clean, beds were comfortable, place was close to the metro and not far from sights, but most of all I was impressed with the staff. Everyone was very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Thank you for a great stay.

one of the cleanest and nicest hostels I've seen so far. Totally recommandable !!

• 28th May 2013

除了经常没热水之外其它都不错

Expect to pay the whole amount when you arrive! Of many Hostelworld bookings, this is the only place that claimed Hostelworld did not forward them the booking deposit. They then claimed Hostelworld keeps it as a "booking fee", I had to pay the entire amount. Another guy next to me booked with another website and was told the same thing...very fishy. There is only one single user bathroom on an entire floor with 12 beds. Only 1 toilet, 1 shower, 1 sink. Expect to wait, and wait, and WAIT!

Thank you for your review, but sorry to tell you that you misunderstood the payment details. Hostelworld does not forward anything to us, but the booking fee is already subtracted from your balance. Upon arrival you only pay the 90% plus taxes, as explained in your reservation. Regarding the showers, we have 13 of them, so there are plenty to chose from if the one closest to you is occupied. Our staff would have gladly cleared up any concerns you had if you approached them while you were here.

View all Washington DC Hostels