DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

Good hostel, all in place and functional.

DC Lofty was awesome, Everything was awesome but the security. Same code for quite a long time, according to the amount of homeless people around should be better. Everything else was perfect! We met some great people there, had fun in the city and our room was huge! Well recommended.

hey there, thanks for a great review - and yes you stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm with the shower right outside (but then again all of the rooms are spacious). We do change the code quite often, but as it happens during your stay a huge percentage of the hostel stayed for 5-7 nights, and it would only inconvenience those guests with the code being changed, as none of them actually left. We do change it routinely! For example, it's been changed now!

Overall a good place to stay that is near the nightlife (Chinatown, DuPont circle, etc) and also just north of the Mall. Close to a few city bike locations which is a great way to get around. A few minor issues. Pillow wasn't very good and the bunk beds are pretty squeaky when either person rolls over. So bring some earplugs.

Parking arrangements were overpriced at $15 a day and had to ask others to move to get in and out...but, hey...this is DC! :-)

• 11th Sep 2013

hey there, thank you for your review, and we apologize for the high price of parking. We have a very limited parking lot behind our hostel, and the supply and demand curve dictates the rates of the lot. As you've led on, it was full, and whenever it is emptier we're glad to offer it for $10 a night. DC surely has a bunch of cars!

Easy walking distance to everywhere and in a nice neighbourhood. No shoes inside though (because of all the old, worn, dusty carpets) and every toilet in the building had a problem (wouldn't flush, broken seat, broken cistern... you name it). The choices of shower was either plenty of hot water but extremely dirty or somewhat clean with no water pressure or hot water. They had a nice TV and computer room and the staff were quite friendly but not enough to overcome the faults.

Good apart from no breakfast

I enjoyed my stay at DC lofty. Naima and Max were extremely friendly and went out of their way to help me. The guests were mostly European and pretty laid back which meant no crazy parties. One thing I did not enjoy was having to moved from one house to the after the first night because it is annoying when you have to carry your luggage up and down two flights of steps. I was also charged for internet but was never notified of a charge. Overall, it was comfortably and secure.

• 29th Aug 2013

Thank you for the great time I had at your hostel! It had everything I needed on my trip. Bed, shower and awesome people. I met a lot of interesting people from all over the world and very interesting conversations with Max and Grant. Oh, and then the golden peanut.

• 27th Aug 2013
  • Switzerland

Hostel around 20/30 minutes brisk walk to the museums. Has numerous supermarkets and food places within 5 minutes walk from Hostel. Hostel has strange policy of requiring provided slippers to be worn in the building instead of 'outside' shoes, (must be removed upon entry of building) however slippers can be worn outside to move between buildings. The kitchen is newly redone and has a stove, microwave and toaster with plenty of pots and pans. Safe secure housing, lockers a little small for bags.

• 27th Aug 2013
  • Wales
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Very kind staff. The hostel is located just 20 minutes walk to the National Mall in average. There are quite a lot restaurants nearby.

I stayed sadly only one day in the hostel but I was very enthusiastic. The location is very good - next to a supermarket, liquor shop and a few bars. The hostel is very friendly and the people are very communicative.

there is no shower curtain so that we couldn't feel good when taking a shower.

• 22nd Aug 2013
  • Japan

Really good price - that' the best about this accomodation. The restrooms and the kitchen are really celan, but the places near the stairs are messy. The staff is helpfull, I liked them :) There are some PC's so if you don't bring any similar staff with yourself there they are.

The place is very good: clean, location, staff friendly. i've just had some issues regarding the arrival time: until 10pm and I thought no sense in the slippers wear, because they have the hostel in 2 buildings, so you have to go outside to reach part of the hostel.

Great hostel, everything was very clean and modern. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hostel. It is in a good location (about a 10-15 minute walk) outside the city centre and attractions. There is a local supermarket nearby and ATM's etc.

• 15th Aug 2013

The room I stayed in was decent and had a bathroom in the room. The kitchen did not have a stove so if you are staying there don't expect to be able to cook a frozen pizza. Parking was $15 a day and the staff seemed concern that I had my belongings in the car which indicated that the location was not in the safest neighborhood.

• 15th Aug 2013

Booking was easy. I was worried about the bed/pillow (being 62 years old), but slept well all 3 nights. I appreciated the locker, and the reminder in my initial "contract" to bring a lock for it. They were remodeling, so accessing the computers (I was on the kitchen side) was a hassle, but that will not be a problem when the remodeling is done. The shower was cold--possibly related to the remodeling. I told the staff & they will look into it. Had great conversations! Very helpful staff!

• 10th Aug 2013

Place is good. Good location and everything. only misshap is that there seems to be only one restroon/shower for a lot of people... In the morning of August 10th, I was unable to use the restroom/shower from 08:00 am until 10:30am!!! Interestingly enough, as soon as I leave the restroom, I get lectured -in public- by the cleaning lady (whom I had seen previously many times in the morning while I was roaming around the toilet to see if it became available...)

Would not recommend staying here. Cannot gain entry to the place if staff are not there (happened to me when I was trying to check in with alot of baggage) staff are not friendly. Do not inform you that codes in bedroom doors change every day. Staff do not speak any English and those that do are not so friendly when you want to know information. Not very clean due to the fact when you walk in the door you see shoes everywhere as you are not permitted to wear shoes indoors

It is a fair walk from Union Station. Very steep steps for the front entrance and to the rooms. Wifi doesn't work on upper floors.

View all Washington DC Hostels