DC Lofty - Convention Center Reviews

1335 11th street NW, Washington DC, Washington DC, USA

Fantastic location with a grocery store down the street. The kitchen was beautiful. The no shoe policy was a little annoying, since the slippers I was given quickly disappeared, other than that the hostel was great.

• 2nd Aug 2013

The hot water in the shower didn't work properly when i stayed and i could hear the people in the room next to mine.

I'm a grown man and I do not like being treated like a teenager or worse as a recruit. Too many demands have the lady running the hostel. As the obligation to leave your shoes at the entrance and wear slippers or surcharges at the fare according to the time when you check in.

I thought it was great - hot water forever - free slippers in exchange for not wearing shoes...THATS A FIRST!... The connection between the houses is still not there, so it takes away from the convenience and communal feel, but once it's back together, it will be great.... since the kitchen is on one side and computers on the other. Also...they let you in at Capital View roof top patio, so it's a nice bonus party spot for free.

• 31st Jul 2013

Best hostel I have stayed at! Met some great people here and the accommodations are supreme. I will always comeback.

• 29th Jul 2013
  • Bulgaria

Hostel is very clean. Staff is very friendly. Good location. I love Deidra!!!!!!! She is the best manager ever!

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Egypt

the last nite I was there . I woke up at nite to go to bathroom was unable to get in due locked door but no one in there

hey there, thanks for high grades on everything! Also, it's an unfortunate thing with your comment, but that just means someone very skillfully closed the door and managed to lock it as well. No worries - it's a bathroom door - they open up easy enough, using a dime. thanks

Not especially inviting. Passive aggressive notes in many corners of the building. Not a social feel to the place. Fine if you are looking for somewhere to lay your head near logan circle.

What a great Hostel! I have been to many hostels over the years but this one is my favorite. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great lcoation for sightseeing, shopping, and dining. Hostel was super clean. Met some great people. If you are in Washington DC and looking for a great inexpensive place to stay for a few nights I highly recommend DC Lofty. The family who owns this place are very kind people!

• 18th Jul 2013
  • Azerbaijan

The best part about this hostel was that it had pretty comfy beds. Other than that, it was in a bit of a shifty neighborhood and you had to walk a ways to decent services. The lounge was nice, and kitchen facilities were good, but the place was generally run down and not what I was expecting. Let's also randomize codes on room doors, as its pretty easy to figure out the codes.

hey there, thank you for the nice bed comment - as we do change them quite often (the mattresses). The area is actually really safe, as it is deep into the NW quadrant of DC - the nicest by far. Also, it is very close to U street and DUPONT circle - and that was the idea for this hostel. If you are looking for monuments, please book at our CAPITAL VIEW - we have two for a reason! Finally the room/door codes are random, and changed very often.

A great place to stay - close to the metro line that leads you downtown and very secure. The staff hours are a bit weird, but they're very helpful when you catch them!

Nice and friendly place to stay. More or less close to everything

• 6th Jul 2013
  • Switzerland

I was placed in a room upstairs by Bernard with two males on one side. I was the only female on the other side. I went to sleep and a third man arrived. I looked to see who was in the room I saw all three men were nearly naked in their beds two accross and one beneath. I was extremely uncomfortable having chosen the 8 bed dorm. I'm not sure why Bernard changed my booking confirmation. I did end up leaving the room and was really unhappy about losing sleep in the middle of the morning.

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Malawi

hey there, thank you for high grades across the categories. We do apologize for the uncomfortable situation. I have researched the reservation, and I saw that it was your choice to stay in a single bed for the entire stay, rather than have to switch rooms every night, and that was the only option. As this has happened, we have refunded the rest of your stay, and you were not charged, thanks!

I really recomend this hostel , very clean and nice. The Staff are cutural and helpful. I am pretty sure when I come to DC next time I ll take this hostel again!

I'm not sure if it was just our experience but we didn't find the hostel in accordance with our expectations. First of all is at a long walk from any of the touristic attractions of Washington, secondly the staff at the front desk was rude and unhelpful when asked for directions, she kept texting on her phone, and finally a room in the basement with a suspicious carpet is not what we were expecting for that money. Honestly, is your choice, but I would try to find another place.

• 4th Jul 2013
  • Spain

hey there, thank you for your review. Cleanliness is our number 1 importance. All of the carpets have recently been changed since 2012/2013 winter updates. They are deep washed regularly, and vacuumed DAILY, as is the entire hostel (mopped, etc.). We also provide you with FREE slippers, that are 100% clean, as they are new - and with no shoes inside, it's very unlikely to even get anything dirty in first place. The rude staff was let go, we do apologize for that, thank you.

Great people, great place, good location, the barbecue was great to meet new people, everything was very clean, the bedroom had enough space and the livings were very nice too. The only downside I found was my mattress, that was waaaay too soft and gave me a back ache.

• 3rd Jul 2013

I would not recommend anyone to stay at the DC Lofty Hostel because 1) there were bedbugs in the bed I was sleeping on (I did not notice this until the morning I was packing to leave to go home when I found 2 bedbugs on the bed), 2) the hostel is not located in a safe area in DC, 3) the showers ran out of warm water quickly leaving me to take cold showers, 4) the bunk beds are uncomfortable to sleep in, if the person above you moves up/down the ladder or on the top bed then the entire bed shakes

• 3rd Jul 2013

hey there, thank you for a lengthy review, and we must respond. 1) We have no bed bugs, we had the hostel inspected with dogs and found none.... We also take preventive care with a revolutionary product that is effective at nearly 100% - contact us privately if you would like to find out more. 2) The hostel is located far into NW - the safest quadrangle of Washington, DC 3) The showers have tankless non-stop hot water heaters. 4) Please let us know of that, and we would fix immediately!

expensive tax and late fee.

hey there, thank you for rating us highly across the categories listed. We do apologize for the DC tax - it is the highest in the country. We are one of only 4 LEGAL hostels in Washington, DC. AND 1 of only 3 that carry insurance for every thing - protecting our guests from both: unexpected business shut down, and health and safety issues. The insurance and to some extent DC laws require us to close at 10PM...and thus late fees for higher premiums to stay open later. thank you

I chose for the low price, but it actually was one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Great amenities, helpful staff.

I have plenty of examples as to how rude or unhelpful the staff was, but there aren't enough characters allowed to share the best response. Essentially - the staff was sub-par, and the expectation that you remove your shoes and either purchase footwear or use the cast off slippers from other guests (this is your free option!) was gross. I knew that we would have to remove our shoes when I made the reservation, but the website says free slippers are provided (and I assumed they'd be clean).

• 29th Jun 2013

hey there, We are sorry for your experience with a staff member, who has now been terminated.... We do provide you FREE and NEW slippers..... everyone gets new and free slippers out of a plastic sealed bag.... We simply took yours out to prepare it for you, and we have stopped doing that now.... thanks for the great reviews on location, security, and cleanliness (our pride - thus the clean slippers inside and NO shoes)!

View all Washington DC Hostels