Dahab Hostel Reviews

26 Mahmoud Bassiouny St., Cairo, Egypt

I didn't even bother to look into hostels in Cairo, since everyone I met (travellers AND locals) in Sinai was talking about how great this hostel was. It turns out to be true! staff is very helpful, price is excellent, rooms are very clean, the showers actually have hot water, wifi was ok for checking mails and basic things and the roof terrace is very inviting.

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

Not much to say. It's good value for money. Internet service is very bad, very poor coverage, you can only use it in the reception and can only connect ONE device at the time which is not good. Staff is quite helpful. I guess you can't ask for much more for the price. But they could deffo improve their internet service.

Fantastic location, great staff and plenty of cats! (which is always a good thing)

• 16th Oct 2014

A very cozy place in the hub of Cairo. Very friendly and helpful staff, who gave us lots of tips and ideas on planning our days there. We liked the place so much that we cancelled a booking in another place and stayed here once we returned to Cairo from Luxor.

You should take care more about insects

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Slovakia

great location, very central and the staff is very friendly.. if you need help ask Ahmed for anything and he will go out of his way to help.

It was alright. It was fine just to be passing through. The lock on our door didn't work properly and I got locked out of the room when I had to use the toilet late in the night. Staff was friendly and helpful, the drivers for the hostel being the best staff experience. Overall it was fine, don't know if I would return.

there is cold water in the shower and the bed I slept is very old and uncomfortable

When i was e mailing the hostel about tours i was quoted 200 EGP but when i arrived i had to pay 250 EGP. Not a good start. On my tour we did not do all the things mentioned would happen and it was not clear that i was only paying for a guy to drive me around and i still have to pay x amount for the actual things i was doing on the tour. Plus i was taken to places so i could be sold things which was terrible and that whole day ruined my holiday.

• 18th Sep 2014

The hostel is okay. Definitely you can relax on the many open spaces that they have surrounding by plants and flowers. I did not like that the staff really want to sell the tours. They must get big commissions for that. They misunderstand the guests needs to make sales and argum with them about it. That is not professional. I am a sales person and never treat the customer like they did, just to sell something.

Perfect location, incredible helpful staff! :) And always nice guest there!

This Hostel was recommend to be me by a friend of mine. At first the price was the convincing part. When I arrived at the Hostel I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the polite staff. They where very kind and had always a good advice for visiting places. You can reach everything very easy by taxi and metro. The rooms are comfortable and clean. One of the most helpful and friendly guy who was working here was Mustafa. We had a lot of fun and loughed a lot! ;). ThX to Ahmed and Mahmud!

• 2nd Sep 2014

It is really really a nice location - above the roofs of Downtown Cairo. The atmosphere is greate - specially for people with a backpacker background. Only the wet-facilities could be maintained a bit better.

• 29th Aug 2014

Dahab hostel is on the roof top of a building in downton Cairo. It is a fantastic location and the view over downtown is amazing. The rooms – I had a single room with a private bathroom – are clean and well-maintained. The staff speaks English and helps with everything you need, especially Mahmoud. I had to run an errand and he accompanied me until we found what I needed. The prices for the rooms are reasonable and it really is worth it. I definitely will stay there again during my next visit.

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks a lot for your positive review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, until next time :)

Excellent hostel with great staff in a fantastic location. I only wish that there was a bar / somewhere to buy chilled drinks in the hostel as the roof is a perfect spot for it and it would help to create a social atmosphere between different guests.

• 23rd Jul 2014

You should have asked us!! There's a drinks store right next to our building :) This time you missed out on your chilled beer on our lovely rooftop while enjoying the evening breeze, the next time we will make sure you get to enjoy this moment :) Thanks a lot for your nice review.

Mahmoud at the hostel is particularly friendly and helpful. He helped with everything from exchanging currency, giving directions and advice on where to go as well as the much needed impromptu Arabic lessons. I really loved how personable and helpful her was. Hostel is great, right in middle of super busy interesting location. Elevator is from 1874 quite the historic site itself. There are convenience stores right next to hostel for everything as water and munchies.

• 16th Jul 2014

Thanks for the great review! Hoping you're making good progress on your Arabic :) We will pass your greetings to Mahmoud, until next time.

The staff were very friendly and the rooftop garden is a nice place to escape to after a long day on Cairo streets. The transport from the airport was very helpful even though my baggage was delayed and the driver had to wait for over an hour for me at arrivals. The single room shared bathroom is very small but adequate for the price. There were a few needed improvements like adding a refrigerator in the kitchen and the stove was not working properly during my stay .

• 11th Jul 2014

Most likely one of the best tips to have a nice stay in Cairo for a low price and in a nice place, moreover since the price have gone higher in the city for everything. The staff is really nice and young, ready to help you. The taxi from the airport is very appreciable, as well as the transportation to Ghiza or louxor and Assouan, in which they take a friendly commission. the atmosphere there is really cool as a youth hostel but much better. Most important, the place is well situated.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Thank you very much! We strive to keep our prices affordable to our lovely guests despite the increasing costs. We are very happy that you were satisfied during your stay. See you hopefully soon!

Actually I think they are very friendly and helpful.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Bangladesh

Thanks a lot, we appreciate your compliment!

Dahab Hostel is a really nice hostel. Located on the seventh floor you have both a really cool view over downtown cairo and nice cool breezes in the night. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The location is perfect and you have everything you need in the same street. A perfect place for couples or people travelling alone! I stayed for two and a half weeks and have had a purely good experience here.

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Thank you! We're happy to hear that and you are always welcome to your home in Egypt :)