Darwin YHA Reviews

97 Mitchell St, Darwin, Australia

if I will be again in Darwin for few days I would chose this hostel again

Was a bit hit and miss staying here. Wifi expensive and kept dropping out, staff some what miserable. Kitchen and seating areas were closed at 23:00 so you can only be in the dorms. Hostel was clean but noisy pub next door was too much. There are cheaper options down Mitchell St. I wouldn't stay here again.

No lockers. Doors left unlocked by other guests. No atmosphere. Expensive. Still the best hostel in darwin. There are no good ones

Decent pool, nice renovated washrooms. Beds should already be made (especially for late checking!) good Aircon

Nice enough pool, well equipped kitchen. Messy bedrooms (maybe if there was more storage space it wouldn't be an issue, especially considering the amount of long term stays). Had to make own bed, which was fine but pillow protector was filthy. Newly renovated bathrooms and great aircon. $5 a day for internet. Really internet should be much cheaper if you're going to make someone pay for it.

Did not compare with any other YHA which have been of high quality. Room was very hot. Staff did not give an overview of facilities or tour. Limited extras or services were offered by the hostel. The facilities were old and unattractive. Little attention or maintenance has been spent in the design and upkeep of the hostel which affected aesthetics and overall atmosphere. There were no lockers in the rooms for storage of personal items securely. There were no individual lights bedside.

• 29th Jun 2013

Over all well manage , room to improve further .

its lovely and clean and its located perfectly on mitchell street not to far away from anything and its nice and quiet.

• 5th Jun 2013

Quite dirty and far from the ciry centre

Fantastic, clean place. The en suite was brand new and as good as a hotel! Clean kitchen and a nice pool area to relax by. The bar and bbq area are nice features too. Only downside no lockers in the rooms!

Nice, helpfull staff. Clean bathrooms. Fridge in the room. Good equiped kitchen. Poor and dirty outside and common area. No free WiFi. Room/ Aircon in the room smelled.

It was nice some of the dorm rooms had their own shower.

The YHA is located 10 minutes walk from the centre of Darwin and near the Fish Feeding and Esplanade of the city.

Not one of the best hostels I have stayed at in Australia. In need of renovation and the shower in my room had low pressure.

Thanks for your review and if you are coming back to Darwin, check out our brand new bedrooms. They are all being completely refurbished including new ensuite bathrooms. They all have air con as well.

This hostel is in need of renovation.

Thanks for your review and there is good news! The bedrooms at Darwin YHA have recently been completely renovated, including brand new ensuite bathrooms and ceiling fans. They are also all air conditioned.

In recent years I never had any negative experiences with YHA's around the world, but the YHA in Darwin was probably the worst experience I have made in recent years. The staff at the reception was not really supportive nor friendly (At least a smiling face would help sometimes!). The room I stayed in was in a very dirty condition, cleaning seems to be not on a regular agenda. I had the impression, there are so many backpackers in Darwin anyway that need a palce to stay in so why care!!!

dirtiest yha i have ever been in. could really do with lockers in the room for better security as people rarely lock the doors. should be a lot stricter on not letting food into rooms, and probably shouldn't have fridges in rooms which only encourages people. there arn't really any good hostels in darwin unfortunately. on plus side was quiet. whole place could do with a good renovation as pool was a bit grotty too.

Poorly thought out and set up hostel. Very little seating, ill equipped kitchen (had to buy my own coffee mug because there were so few available), laundry was unavailable to guests all day due to hostel use, and a very loud party culture which may not suit everyone.

• 29th Jun 2011

All the hostels in Darwin seem to be more or less the same. Price, service, and have a pool. For the most part, this hostel was the norm. Here are a few disappointing points: The kitchen it too small for the size of the hostel. Trying to get anything into the fridge was a joke. YHAs allow people of all ages to come, however during my stay, there were a lot of older people on the dole just living there. My first room on the ground floor had cockroaches, after complaining, they moved me.

Over the period of 4 days I was at the DArwin YHA I did not find any of the staff to be friendly. In your YHA guide is clearly states staff are friendly?!?!? The location is ok, although as a single, lady traveller I found it to be a little unsafe walking back on my own on the evening. The pool was a good size but need a clean/updating as the paint has peeled from the bottom already. You pay a $10 dollar depoist for the key, if you have an early flight ensure you receive it back on the day before you le

Hi Andrea, Thank you for your feedback, it's always appreciated and always taken seriously! I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a great stay with us and have contacted you privately to discuss your specific concerns. So far I've not had any complaints about our staff, so that definitely bears further investigation! Some areas in the hostel require some maintenance for sure, and we are working hard to rectify that. We do always try and advise guests on check-in that if you're checking out early to get your key deposit back the night before - this is also printed on our "check-in leaflet"; I'm glad we did manage sort it out quickly and were able to refund your creditcard though! I would hope you would think of staying with us again in the future. kind regards, Wim - manager