Deejai Backpacker Reviews

193/1-2 Ratchamunka Rd., Phasing, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Great social friendly hostel, swimming pool, very knowledgable and friendly staff, a good location within the old town with small clean dorms, great value for money. Defo recommend Only cons were , there was only 1 toilet in the common area and there wasn't any lockers In the dorms only in a room off the common area, also there weren't enough lockers for everyone in the hostel, which wasn't a problem as me and a friend shared one but could see this being awkward if traveling alone.

Tayah was amazing and all staff were helpful! Cheers guys!

Great fun and would return again :)

Nice hostel in the centre of Chiang Mai, with a big common area, but I think it could be a bit more sociable. There's a bathroom in each four beds dorms. My mattress was aweful.. but others weren't as bad so maybe I was just unlucky. Staff is nice and very helpful!

Very clean, well-maintained hostel with an excellent atmosphere. The advertised security cameras don't reach all the rooms, though, so make sure to lock your doors and be extra careful with your stuff. I was less careful than I should have been and a bunch of my stuff was stolen.

Great place to stay and socialize with fellow travelers! Had a super great pool area down the road at the bar and just loads of friendly people. Pretty good dorms (4 to a room) with own bathrooms! Great lounge/commons area aw well. Would absolutely recommend!

Good staff most of time - got brushed off a few times but they also dropped me off at the airport for free, so I can't complain. Great social atmosphere (would appreciate vegetarian food or ability to order regular menu during BBQs though). Generally clean but poor infrastructure for a hostel (no toilet paper provided, one room's washroom didn't lock, no mirror in one room, small lockers outside the dorms, no personal outlets or reading lamps). Been spoiled by SEA hostels though...

Friendly staff

Great hostel! Probably one of the best in Thailand! These guys know what backpackers need in a place to stay. Great price, doors that lock, only 4 beds in the room, good food, 24 hour staff, inside the moat and close to attractions, really really wonderful.

Deejai backpackers made my trip to chang mai! Awesome place to meet like minded people and Adam, Rob and all the staff members are the nicest folk going. Deejai garden literally 2 mins down the road which has good value booze, a tree top hang out and it even has a pool (which is free for all hostel guests!) from the moment I walked in I felt welcomed and met some really cool and interesting people during my stay. Life is ice cream at deejai backpackers!

• 3rd Oct 2014

While I was there, I found it a lonely hostel. Many people milled around downstairs, but they would hardly look a body in the eye, let alone return a wave or greeting. There was no one to talk to. The staff was just as shy.

• 25th Sep 2014

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in!!

• 14th Sep 2014

For the price you pay, this places is an absolute steal. That said, as with everything, you get what you pay for. On hostelworld you can see a swimming pool, but that is actually in a different building down the road and you have to pay every time you use it. The food in their cafe/bar was really delicious, and the local staff were very friendly. The elderly English man who worked there, however, could be very rude at times and made many of the girls staying there feel very uncomfortable.

The room we stayed in was very basic and we woke up every morning with bites all over our legs. The location is a bit out the way and you have to pay extra if you want to use the pool. Staff were friendly though and it's cheap.

Dark, damp rooms. Not very social because the downstairs area is more like a restaurant than a common room. Not good for solo travellers. Pool area is nice but not next to the hostel and you have to pay to use it. I stayed one night then moved to a much better hostel

Nice chilled out hostel. The garden with the pool is a great plus. On the downside the temperature in the rooms and the blood stains in pillows and toilet

Such a great stay here - the guy that runs this place does a great job at creating a sociable atmosphere, we loved out time here! We had a great day spent at the lake with everyone and such a fun drinking by the pool. Would definitely reccomend this to anyone looking for a fun place to stay

One of the more dingey places I've stayed in. We were in a 4 bed dorm with one fan and it was really hot so next time I'd pay extra for AC. But the atmosphere was really social and the bar/pool down the street is wicked. It's very cheap to stay here so good value for money.

Wifi connection is really poor as soon as you go upstairs, and the power sockets in the rooms are in very inconvenient places, if anywhere at all.

Great atmosphere at this hostel. And loved the little bar over the road that they own as well. Rooms were basic but fine. Bed bug rumours were true while we stayed there I had a friend who got bites but I was fine in my bed in the same room so hopefully they can sort that out. It's a great hostel with a great breakfast! So would be a shame to lose it over a few bed bugs.