Dentro la Valle dei Templi Reviews

Piazzetta Pitagora 2, Agrigento, Italy

I considered myself fortunate to have found a single, private room for under €40. The proprietor is an older single woman who is trying to earn extra money over the summer by letting out rooms in a very small flat. I actually slept on a sofa-bed in her living room. Two other rooms were let out to a group of six 20-somethings, so that the place was very full with eight persons to one bath and toilet. The place is clearly not a bed-&-breakfast. It would be more correct to call it a guest house.

Impossible to find without phoning up, as the address isn't listed on Google maps and there is no sign on the door. The B

The owner was a delight: accommodating, good with suggestions for restaurants and cafés. The next day, I had to get an early train, and rather than have me pay for a taxi, she drove me to the station on her way to work.

• 13th Jul 2014