Denver International Youth Hostel Reviews

630 East, 16th Avenue, Denver, USA

Bed bucks, no water, incompetent staff, dirty linen, homeless people... At least we got our money back.

• 25th Jul 2014

After checking in I was directed to my room to discover bed bugs in my bed. When confronting this issue at the front desk the man mentioned 'oh I didn't think we had bed bugs in that room' suggesting that he was fully aware of a problem, I find this irresponsible. I asked for my money back in which he replied 'well I don't usually do that' but as a dissatisfied customer I made sure he did though this didn't not include my initial hostelworld booking fee.

The Denver International Youth Hostel is in prime location just minutes walking distance from the centre of the 16th Street Mall. The gentlemen who runs the hostel is lovely and has a real charm, which adds to the atmosphere. However as other reviews suggest the beds are very squeaky and cleanliness leaves a little bit to be desired. The kitchen has all the basic facilities necessary however there were no lockers were provided for your valuables to be stored safely in. I would stay here again.

It was in a good location close to 16th St Mall, security was fine Doors always locked, the staff behind the desk was nice and helpful and polite, the room was aweful dirty and bad air, small uncomfortable beds, not easy to get on a upper bank, stayed in a 10 bed f dorm, dirty bathroom and in the middle of the night water started to come from the ceiling in there. The floors smelled and everything was old. It was cheap, that's the only good thing I can tell. Not recommendable, never again.

• 30th May 2014

The Hostel was drafty and run down.

• 12th May 2014

I read some of the bad reviews on here but I really don't have anything to complain about. They give you fresh linen, including a towel when you check in. Staff was excellent. provide a key to get in after 10 PM when the front door is locked, another key for your own room. Mattresses in my room where totally quiet, I had no trouble with them squeaking at night whatsoever. Met some of the best people I have on my travels so far. Location is superb! No lockers in rooms, may have had some elsewhere

We got a male and female dorms. We found out there are people who are homeless, run away from home, pushed by own family, drug addict ... the beds are awful. i bet the rooms haven't been cleaned for years, smells like mold. Pretty shock for us to arrive this place like this. We think we HAVE to give this review cos we don't want others backpackers got shocked and felt uncomfortable like us. We had to move to another hotel on next day! There are LOTS better and safe hostels in Cambodia than this!

I booked it online before I got there as usual but because I remembered from previous years' traveling through Denver that this hostel doesn't allow same-day-arrival booking online I made it for one day even though I needed to stay three days.

• 19th Jan 2014

Most of the staff was antisocial and possibly stoned on the job. The total alcohol ban was disappointing but likely due to understandable incidents in the past. Broken windows, broken toilets, and just general uncleanliness really added to the obvious age of the building. I stay at hostels for the social aspect and there were apparently upwards of 50 people around but due to the layout and stifling atmosphere of the building I barely met anyone. I would only stay here again to save money.

• 1st Nov 2013

The bed is too old and almost fell down from upper deck. But it is value for money. It would be great to have a common area and meet other travelers.

• 31st Oct 2013
  • Malaysia

The staff is incredibly helpful and nice. Th building is old and very filthy. The beds squeak every time you even think about moving, so bring ear plugs! There is no ladder for the bunk bed, be prepared to do acrobatics if you are on the top bed! Make sure you bring flip-flops for the shower stall. As usual, the best thing about these hostels is the location, location, location!

Unlike most I've stayed at, the reception is not 24 hours, I had a late check-in and although he finally did stay up for me he made it seem like it was a big deal and was unhappy on the phone. Good pice and since it was only $20 - good value. Squeaky beds, someone stole my sweater, no pillow or ladders to the bunks, really cold in a shared dorm room. Not the best upkeep, but I've had worse.

Mostly permanent residents. I would not suggest this for someone who is easily frightened by security flaws. Personally, I loved this place and all the people i met. Upon arrival, you will receive a blanket, sheet set, and towel. Rooms are clusters of bunk beds. Basement shower is hot and plumbing seems fine. This is a hostel for men ages 18 , not a goo atmosphere for young women.

• 12th Oct 2013

Added on a couple of days... Staff is very accomodating...great location

• 10th Oct 2013

Simple but incredible value for money

This is the worst hostel I've ever been. It is not a hostel for bacpakers but a halfway house for bordeline homeless people. Very dirty and rundown.

Everything makes noise! Floors creak, doorknobs and beds squeak. It's impossible to be quiet, so don't expect a good night's sleep. This hostel has permanent residents, which I've never seen in another hostel. This makes it feel a little less safe (one tenant got up at 4am every night and yelled out the window to a guy while stomping around to get ready to go out, not sure for what).

The atmosphere of the staff and guests was really friendly. I enjoyed talking to them and never felled lonely. Since the hostel’s location was near downtown Denver, it was easy to go out drinking at night. The staffs were very helpful, and even though it was passed 5 and there were no vacancies in the normal protocol, they got us a bed. If I have a chance to visit Denver, I definitely will stay here again.

Avoid this place ! I've stayed in many hostels, but this place was by far the worst. More than a hostel, it's a building with beds in overcrowded small apartments, sometimes rented for long stays. So yes it is cheap, but everything is dirty, the common areas are shady, the "office" (a windowless messy room) is open only a few hours a day, they have no computer to keep track of reservations and not enough keys for all guests. Chose to spend my 2nd night at the airport rather than there.

I had some items from my suitcase come up missing so my lesson learned is don't leave anything valuable unattended with a room that has roomates. I knew to keep my wallet and phone with me at all times but that wasn't enough. Next time I will have to get a padlocked suitcase or stay elsewhere.

• 4th Feb 2013