Derry City Independent Hostel Reviews

44 Great James street, Derry, Northern Ireland

The room was not clean when we arrived (at 7pm). Stuff just changed sheets for beds which looks used, but the other beds were used to. The bin was full as well. There was a noise from garden till 3am. We booked superior room, but it was far away from that.

This hostel is great! It has a lovely homey atmosphere, great volunteer staff and owner. You cant go wrong staying here!

Kylie and Steve were extremely hospitable. Happy to chat with us and give much useful information, especially good eateries and specialty stores. The smell of freshly baked bread each morning was a welcoming start to the day and a lovely thoughtful personal touch. The enclosed garden was a lovely warm little haven to soak up the sunshine and relax in with a cup of tea.

The hostel was really nice. We stayed at its sister right in the corner. The staff are excellent, very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great! Just the beds (we had 2 bunkbeds in the room) were a bit noisy and the upper beds had no security bars. Apart form that, the hostel was really good, I would stay there again for sure and I totally recommend it!

Really well organised hostel. Good advise on what to see in the area. Top marks!

Great place to spend a few nights

Lovely home made bread and great advice on where to eat/local places to go and visit. Free parking on street in really central location!

• 14th Apr 2014

really nice place, quality people

This small lovely hostel was so great and the host

The staff and hostel were all amazing and they made me feel right at home. From friendly conversation to help with my own travel plans to new acquaintances I had a great time and was sad to go. I would recommend this hostel to anyone! Also check the walking tours at the Free Derry Museum and listen to some local music at open mic night every Thursday at the Castle Bar if you're looking for a great time!

• 9th Apr 2014

Nice staff, great location (although Derry is small), good facilities (kitchen has stove, oven and equipment). The fun you have is purely dependent on your fellow guests. It's a house turned hostel so it's very cozy but if there's not much happening you better believe there's not much happening. It's NOT a YOUTH dedicated hostel so expect some older (and sometimes stranger) guests.

Thanks for your kind comments , we would like to note that this is the third hostel in your last four that you have labelled as "NOT A YOUTH DEDICATED" hostel. Hostels in Ireland attract travellers from the ages of 8 (baby backpackers) to over 80.. (one of our over 80s did a solo trip around india last year!). You were here on a quiet sunday night and you were invited to come out to an irish session and a jazz club. You decided on an early night. Not as PARTY PARTY PARTY as the older ones..

I really enjoyed my stay there - the rooms are comfortable, we have enough space and it doesn't feel cramped. The atmosphere is very pleasant as well. I particularly liked the fact that a simple breakfast was provided as well as tea and coffee. If you're staying just for one or two nights, it's very handy.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Belgium

Loved this hostel! I was technically in their other building at the time, Dolce Vita, but they are basically the same and I had a great time here! It was a really nice converted house. Clean bathrooms, comfy beds, nice kitchen , and the owner was super nice!

3 nights in this hostel where you could easily feel like home. Pratical kitchen and... First time I see a free food shelve like that ,-) Little garden for smokers and the perfect common room to chill with the others! All is clean and safe. Thanks Steve!

Not a bad hostel, the staff were a little absent and one was perhaps a little less than enthusiastic when it came to answering questions about Derry. But there was good information given upon arrival and they pointed me towards the Free Derry tour, which was incredible. Other than that, the kitchen, dorm and common rooms were fine, though a proper table to eat at would have been nice.

Really nice place!! Clean and comfortable, honestly the best bed i have slept in in Ireland! Good location, bear from everything and great atmosphere. Definetely recommend!

HOSTEL WAS LOCATED CLOSE TO THINGS WE HAD PLANNED TO SEE. ALSO HAD 2 GREAT MEALS NEAR HOSTEL ONE AT FLAMIN JACKS - FISH & CHIPS WITH MUSHY PEAS AND AT THE COULTRE MEETING CENTER ON CORNER NEAR HOSTEL HAD IRISH STEW.

This is by far the best hostel in the North of Ireland. The location is perfect for backpackers or anyone who wants to be close to all Derry has to offer. The owners Steve and Kylie are so friendly, kind and can answer any questions you might have. The hostel offers a great breakfast in the morning with many different tasty choices. Next to the hostel there are several friendly pubs where you can go meet the locals. I have stayed at hostels all over the world but this is by far my favourite!!!

good wee layed back hostel,

1 2 Next » last »