Diamond Diggers Backpackers Reviews

36 Doris St, Kensington, Gauteng, Johannesburg, South Africa

the owner was helpful and friendly with suggestions of activities to do within my budget. a quiet location a little bit outside of the city and the hostel itself is clean and tidy. i always found the doors to enter into the hostel itself locked and i felt comfortable and safe there. not the busy/social atmosphere i've experienced at other hostels but it was a nice place to relax and see the city

• 11th Jul 2014

Anyone can walk into this place from the street, there are no lockers, and our room didn't lock. The driver for the shuttle service picked us up and drove us around for a fair price. Bert, the guy at the front desk (but was never at the desk) was absolutely no help for anything we wanted to do. He continuously just kept pushing us to go to this lion / rhino reserve even though we specifically said we didn't want to.

Stayed here for 2 nights. The owner smoked weed and drank beer most of the time I saw him which didn't make a good impression. The place was almost empty and the internet was very slow. I didn't see anywhere you could put your valuables when you went out, which didn't do anything because it was empty anyway. When I wanted to go on a safari tour, the owner took his time to call around, but he didn't look too happy about it. I didn't choose any of his safari tours.

The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The area is central and not too far from the airport. My only real complaint is the cleanliness. Not sure how clean the bedding was!!

• 14th Mar 2014