Diamond Diggers Backpackers Reviews

36 Doris St, Kensington, Gauteng, Johannesburg, South Africa

the owner was helpful and friendly with suggestions of activities to do within my budget. a quiet location a little bit outside of the city and the hostel itself is clean and tidy. i always found the doors to enter into the hostel itself locked and i felt comfortable and safe there. not the busy/social atmosphere i've experienced at other hostels but it was a nice place to relax and see the city

• 11th Jul 2014

Anyone can walk into this place from the street, there are no lockers, and our room didn't lock. The driver for the shuttle service picked us up and drove us around for a fair price. Bert, the guy at the front desk (but was never at the desk) was absolutely no help for anything we wanted to do. He continuously just kept pushing us to go to this lion / rhino reserve even though we specifically said we didn't want to.

Stayed here for 2 nights. The owner smoked weed and drank beer most of the time I saw him which didn't make a good impression. The place was almost empty and the internet was very slow. I didn't see anywhere you could put your valuables when you went out, which didn't do anything because it was empty anyway. When I wanted to go on a safari tour, the owner took his time to call around, but he didn't look too happy about it. I didn't choose any of his safari tours.

The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The area is central and not too far from the airport. My only real complaint is the cleanliness. Not sure how clean the bedding was!!

• 14th Mar 2014

The place is very nice, but the kitchen is full of roaches going everywhere. The level of kitchen cleanliness is very poor.

They have free wifi and are close to the local tourist attractions

I thought D.D was a good stop of point for me in Jo'burg. Security was abit sub-par. Back door gate was found open when i arrived, so I could just walk in. location is not the best as it is kinda way out. Staff were cool though, place was clean enough and tidy and it did sort of reflect a nice homely vibe. Quiet when I was there but I wouldn't mind staying at D.D again if I was in the area, as it is a hostel and talks and looks like one as well., Not a bad point for bazbus either.

I didn't feel like going to the supermarkets supposed to be nearby, on account of security. I didn't see any emerging risk, but there were nobody walking on the streets. So I would suggest that the hostel could offer phone numbers of restaurants that deliver food there at night!

Wir haben 4 Nächte im Double mit Bad verbracht. Großes helles Zimmer, neu sauber sehr schönes Bad. Hostel wird von Erika kompetent geführt. Die Lage nahe am Strand ist schön, sehr ruhig und relativ sicher. Frühstück im Garten, angenehm. Schöner Spaziergang in die Stadt am Strand entlang (max 20 Minuten, Taxi ist billig 8/9 Namibische.Dollar.

It was a very good journey in the Diamond Diggers. The manager was very nice and helped us for coming from/to the airport. He gave us some advices allowing discovering the city for only one day.

• 23rd Aug 2013

No idea how this place is rated so high... None of the bathrooms had locks on them. it was cramped, dirty, and lifeless. I stayed at 2 other hostels in JoBurg and both were much better. I wouldn't stay here again.

Everything in the hostel was broken. All the chairs were uncomfortable. The intercom did not work so we could not get in. The bed were uncomfortable. The manager was unfriendly. There was no atmosphere

it was of all places i stayed the least likely i would return to. it was profesional and clean but had no heart. no sence of warmth. certainly never fealt at home.

It's a hidden hostel that doesnt look like a hostel. The facilities are good, but it's far from downtown and staff try to make you buy some very expensive tours saying that the city is very dangerous to use other ways. Indeed you have problems of security in Joburg, but it looks like apartheid still is going on.

Very nice hostel in a very secure area - but you need a car to get around. It's a bit hard to find as it is in a residential area and there is no sign whatsoever indicating that you are in the right spot. Graham is an amazing source of information, be it around Jo'burg or when it comes down to planning where to head next!!! Thanks!

Diamond Diggers has more of a homely feeling than hostel feeling and the host has both a good knowledge of current affairs and the history of South Africa in general which made for an interesting stay. Lovely view of the city from this hostel as well as beautiful sunsets. Pool and sauna was also a plus

• 6th Apr 2013
  • South Africa

Hostel in peaceful suburb and I felt safe here. Staff really made me feel at home and hostel has homely atmosphere. Johannesburg is an interesting place and 2 days was just not enough time to see all the attractions.

Great place in a safe neighbourhood, hostel owner very friendly and helpful.

People staying in the dorm rooms should be given a key to the room,which was not provided. There were no lockers in the dorm rooms, which should have been provided. There were security cameras looking at the living room and the front and back entrance, but no camera in the hallway downstairs where the rooms are. My companions and I would have felt much more comfortable in the hostel if the dorm rooms had lockers and if we had been given a key to the room upon arrival.

Through this website I thought I booked a bed in a 6 bed mixed dorm. I got an email from the hostel telling me I'd booked a camping spot, although clearly my email from hostel world said 6 bed mixed dorm. Using email, the hostel was painfully slow at responding to any questions I had - especially with regard to airport pickups that I think they used to do.

Hi, Should there be confusion as to what you booked, please confirm with Hostelworld as we did and you will find that you booked camping.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7