Discovery Hostel Reviews

Rua Benjamin Constant 26, Glória, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

After 3 months travelling around 6 countries in South America I am extremely glad I finished at discovery as it made all the others look bad. The staff were awesome, they give a detailed map and loads of local advice. Good organised nights out, option to bring alcohol in was another huge difference. The breakfast was an actual breakfast and not just bread and jam, beds were good and the in house Caipirinhas were the bomb. If i ever make it back to Rio I won't be going anywhere else.

• 29th Nov 2015

The hostel located just less than a minute from subway. Staff are friendly and will explain everything u need to.know,in Rio.. I can basically comes unprepared.

It's the second time I stay at Discovery Hostel and I already told Zion and Agnes that I'm coming back in January. Not only this hostel has everything a backpacker needs to have a good stay (a plug, a lamp and a small shelf next to each bed; comfy mattress and pillow, super clean sheets) it is cozy and has a great atmosphere. It's easy to meet people and make new friends. Staff gives great tips and advice. Location is superb, right next to the subway, close to drugstores, and a few food places.

Lovely friendly atmosphere, very clean, great staff, thank you for a great (though short!) time in Rio! Excellent breakfast too :-)

After traveling for almost 2 years and across 4 different continents I have not found a hostel as good as this one. From the amazing staff who really give a damn about you to the awesome interior decorations there really is no other hostel quite like it. The mattresses are some of the most comfortable in Latin America and Dave the barman now offers a fantastic walking tour and trivia nights. Most people who end up here are solo travelers so the social scene is spot on. The location is amazing!!!

Best hostel I've ever stayed in, the staff are amazing, they are really helpful and are always up for a laugh. I would definitely recommend staying at the Discovery Hostel!

Discovery Hostel is honestly one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in.. if you're in Rio STAY HERE! As a solo traveller it was lovely to stay somewhere that felt like a big family. Staff were amazing - super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the local area. David's free walking tour was great, kitchen was clean and well equipped, breakfast was amazing, and social areas (plus strong cocktails from the bar) were good for meeting fellow travellers.

Good breakfast, helpfull staff. We got a private room but these rooms are close to the lobby and that can be quite noisy

The hostel is great! Location is very good, 1 block away from the metro station and a walking distance from Santa Teresa and Lapa. The staff is very attentive and help you with anything you might need. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean.

I really enjoyed my stay at discovery hostel. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The dorms are good, really useful having my own shelf, light and plug socket - being in the middle bunk felt like my own room and large drawers / lockers for secure storage. Breakfast was really good and very cheap bar! Guests are able to book a range of tours through the hostal and social activities so very good for solo travellers. Only slight downside, personally I would rather be closer to the beach.

Location: Perfect - 2mins from Gloria stn and a 10min walk to Lapa Staff: Best staff EVER - friendly, helpful and just so easy going, felt like I was staying at my mates and not a hostel Atmosphere: Great vibe with something happening every night Cleanliness: Very clean and beds were comfy Facilities: communal area/kitchen was great as easy to meet ppl. Each bed has a socket and lamp! Big thanks to Enrique, Zion and Mykal for making my stay so fun - glad I extended 3extra nights!!!!! :)

Phenomenal. Best hostel I've stayed in. 10mins walk to Lap a nightlife. Metro, shop and atm within 3 min walk. Amazing breakfast with much fruit, cheese and cake. Informative, friendly and funny staff who mix with guests. Comfy beds. Many types of tours can be arranged easily. This place ticks all the boxes. Shout out to staff member Mike for his amazing impromptu back massages and middle Eastern coffee!. Will come back one day!

I very enjoyed my stay at Discovery Hostel: Great characters as staff, interesting location in the walking distance to Santa Teresa, Lapa and the Metro station (for Center, Botafogo and Zona Sul) and an impressive breakfast! Thank you!!

One of my favorite hostels ever! It's a very social place - so easy to meet lots of interesting people. The staff is also incredibly helpful with recommendations of things to do, places to eat, etc. The area immediately around the hostel doesn't have a ton of good bars and restaurants, but overall the location is great because it's very close to the Glória metro station. From there it's easy to get anywhere in the city. Also, you're walking distance to Lapa and Santa Teresa.

I really had an amazing experience. The hostel is very charming and have an excellent atmosphere. I stayed at the room with 9 beds and it was very ok to me. The beds are really comfortable. The papaya caipirinha was new for me - a brazilian guy - and I really loved it. The staffs were very helpful and nice! I wanted to stay more, but the hostel was all booked. Really want to come back one day!

I've been all over the world and this is without doubt one of the best hostels I've ever experienced. Beautiful old building equipped with modern comforts, great staff always around and helpful and the location a short walk from the Metro and Lapa / Santa Teresa was ideal, 20 minutes to any of the attractions in Rio. But the highlight is the intimate central courtyard where you can't help but meet other travelers and enjoy a few of the house made Caiprinhas! Amazing hostel in an an amazing city!

Thanks Discovery Hostel for an awesome week in Rio. Enrique, Zion and other staff are all awesome. Location is perfect, next to metro. The area is very busy and you feel safe. Everyone has a locker and private power outlet. Breakfast is free and yummy. They host activities (like watching games in Maracana) and suggestions for sightseeing if you have no idea what to do. This is the kind of hostel you want to stay in Rio. Those are the reasons this hostel hit the top reviews in numerous websites.

The best hostel I have lived in among three during my stay in Rio. Except the showers that are pretty cheap the rest is great.

amaaaazing hostel ! an absolute must in Rio.Only negative point, the hostel tends to make a big markup on some of the activities they organize( futbol match, boat party) slightly annoying.

Amazing place!!! The staff treat you like friends, beds are comfy, whole hostel is beautiful!! Breakfast is amazing , they always have Events as a whole hostel for you to go out too. Amazing place. Best hostel I've stayed in ever. Great location too. Easy metro to the beach.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels