Discovery Hostel Reviews

Rua Benjamin Constant 26, Glória, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Amazing place. Really really helpful owners. Thank you very much for making me feel safe and well-oriented after my 40 hour plane ride to Brazil. I had reached a lot earlier than the check-in time but was allowed me to shower and rest. It was such a pretty hostel too!

Hands down the best hostel I have stayed at (and there have been many). Great location next to a metro stop, clean beds, clean rooms, great breakfast and cheap beer!!!! But it's the staff and owner who really make the place special. Always helpful and friendly no matter how many times you ask them how to get to Christ the redeemer or sugar loaf mountain haha. Stay at this hostel it will make your stay in Rio fantastic

• 31st May 2014

The staff and vistors here were very nice. They would tell you everything about tourist attractions. The breakfast was beyond my expectations. It was very delicious and abundant. People here could share various kinds of life experience and know the cultural differences. I highly recommended this hostel. The price was cheap and it was worth staying in the hostel.

• 29th May 2014
  • Taiwan

Fantastic staff. Very helpful and laidback bunch. Thanks Enrique, Zion, Nacho, Marta! Location is very walking distance to Lapa which is great. Bit far from other places like Copacabana and Ipanema. No safes to store valuables, but it felt safe to leave belongings in the room.

• 27th May 2014

This is a great hostel. The guys who own the place are travellers themselves, and they know what backpackers are looking for. They have created a homely and social atmosphere, and it's only a small hostel which adds to the charm. Highly recommended.

Highly recommend Discovery Hostel for its excellent staff, great location and social but homey atmosphere.

This is a wonderful place to stay. Great access to Centro, bus station, other parts of the city. Good but not great access to swimmable beaches. Really great, welcoming atmosphere. One tiny drawback: the Internet is slow.

• 20th May 2014

Great hostel with a good crowd of people some of whom left and came back. Staff are friendly, the location is good, and they let you bring your own drinks in. The breakfast only being served from 8.30 exactly is a bit annoying and they could do with another toilet/ shower. The 9 bed triple bunk room is next to the street so bring ear plugs

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful.

• 19th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

O visual do hostel é bem bacana, mas peca no quesito limpeza. Um local com tantas pessoas tem de ser limpo constantemente. O Discovery Hostel é ideal para baladeiros, principalmente os que sejam fluentes em inglês, já que estrangeiros são o público alvo do local. Os atendentes são muito prestativos, e para o público estrangeiro o forte é que todos são fluentes em inglês e espanhol. E o café da manhã é bom para um hostel. Os proprietário são simpáticos e estão abertos a críticas e sugestões.

• 11th May 2014

Very cozy environment especially to meet other travellers with superb staff (even went out with us on a few occasions). It's also very convenient to take the metro from there (100m at most) and a close walk to Lapa/Santa Teresa. The breakfast was also excellent (french toast, anyone?). All in all, an excellent hostel!

The hostel was awesome, one of the best free breakfasts available. Also the employees were super nice and helpful and the hostel atmosphere was really nice. It's also conveniently close to the metro station, beach and Lapa neighborhood. The place is a good mix of social hostel without being too crazy of a party place. I would definitely would recommend it to anyone looking for a good place in Rio!

Nice place with friendly atmosphere. All the staff members do their best to make people feel at home. Can't say I felt really comfortable in my bed because it was literally a matress on the floor. Can't say security is perfect. But all the rest was pretty awesome! What makes a hostel a great place to stay? Atmosphere. This place definitely has it. Great place to meet people! Can definitely recommend it and would love to come back one day.

Une superbe auberge de jeunesse, la localisation est très centrale proche des métro/bus/accès aéroports et bien situé pour desservir tous les sites touristiques en aller/retour dans la journée, host aux petits soins qui partagent conseils et bons plans, ambiance très jeune et conviviale, style et déco très soigné. Nous avons beaucoup apprécié la cuisine à disposition, tout est minutieusement bien organisé (espace réservé pour ranger ses provisions, condiments à dispo). Bon rapport qualité prix.

Top hostal, top location, top staff! Tiny showers are the only possible drawback.

Really nice hostel and great value for money. My only comment is that one of the guys in the reception seemed slightly annoyed when I asked something (mostly average stuff such as tours, directions ext) and I noticed that he acted the same way towards other guest. The rest of the staff were great though, and I would def recommend this hostel !!

L.O.V.E.D it, this was by far the best hostel I've ever been to! What a gorgeous old merchants' town house - the high ceilings, the beautiful courtyard and the comfy common room. You guys made my stay in Rio epic!! Thank you

I had such an amazing time at Discovery Hostel. I had booked myself in for 7 nights in the female dorm. The airline I flew with lost my luggage so I was pretty upset on arrival. Sebastian greeted me at the front desk and made me feel welcome straight away. He and the other staff helped me speak to the airline to arrange my stuff arriving the next day as well as making me feel at home and pointing me in the direction of where to get essential stuff! The staff are extremely friendly and welcomin

• 24th Apr 2014

Excelente ubicación y todo el staff súper amables !

Location is very good. Easy to visit the Corcovado, The Sugarloaf, Lapa