Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Check in was inefficient and the staff member didn't seem to know what was going on. Not sure if it is actually unclean, but it certainly felt like it. The kitchen was revolting and food ran out at breakfast. Lifts didn't work properly - I had to take the stairs to level one.

I expected it To be better atfter the high recommondation rate. I was very disappointed by the location, you have to talk about 10 minutes to the next tram station. There goes the free city circle line which is nice, but you're defininetely not close to the centre and far away ( 35 min walk) from Flinders station and Fed Square. The kitchen is not open between 9pm and 7am and there are exactly 3 muesli bowls. That's Absolutely dissatisfying but all in all the stay was ok because it's cheap.

A bit grubby and run down in areas, v loud. Not enough storage in rooms, no personal lighting and not enough power points.

Me and my friend stayed for 3 nights earlier this week. The hostel itself is very big. It's a good location however is not clean. The carpets are filthy and the upkeep of the bathrooms is very poor. In such a big hostel we felt that staff should be more involved in the co-operation of what happens overnight. We had really bad nights sleep from being up until 4 am and we had to ask people to keep the noise down. Poor engagement of staff. Stayed at much better one after.

We was charged to store our baggage before check-in, we was charged extra for going over the allocated time even after explaining that we had gotten lost with it being our first day, we would have been charged 3% to check-in via debit card, there was no cups at all in the kitchen, our room stunk of sweat. The hostel is like a prison.

• 31st Oct 2014

While the staff were helpful, the facilities were not great, only 3 plug sockets for a room of 8! The showers and toilets were not clean,have to pay $8 to store your bag (usually free in hostels!) and Internet very over priced.

• 29th Oct 2014

Saturday night is not a good night to spend in an hostel so I prefer to stop here my comment.

• 25th Oct 2014

Staff are friendly and helpful. However the room and shower facilities are relatively not in good condition. Wifi is an extra. But they provide a light breakfast which is good for the budget travelers. Overall, I would not recommend if you care about hygiene.

I am a return visitor to Discovery Melbourne. I went back because I liked the cleanliness and the atmosphere. It's great in comparison to the other hostels I've been to. Their rates are also very reasonable. They have a very nice lounge area and there is an ATM and Cafe right there. The kitchen and TV area is clean too. I'd definitely go back.

Fantastic hostel, very helpful staff, accommodated all of our needs. Facilities are excellent downstairs and the rooms are everything you need. Good value for money considering Australia as a whole is expensive and its located in the very centre of Melbourne. Only recommendation is that you take your own chunky padlock for the lockers in the bedrooms and unfortunately WiFi is expensive... $5 per day or $10 for 3 days. Other than that I would certainly recommend.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Location was good, the rooms and the bathrooms were a bit dirty and the atmosphere was a tad dull. Could have had a lot to do with the weather though as was quite wet, cold and windy for my stay.