Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

We booking 3 people room. Free pickup to backpacker. Location is near China town just 10 mins. The price is reasonable. Include breakfast everyday, have free shuttle to Brighton beach.The room and bathroom is clean and the reception is 24 hours!! Very nice :)

• 9th Apr 2014

For a massive hostel, the hostel is pretty good (if you don't factor in the state of the kitchen). It has a lot of amenities, and even the 16-dorm room is a decent size. My only complaint is how dirty the kitchen is. There is food, dirty pots and pans everywhere, and birds flying around. I saw staff in there constantly trying to keep it clean, so I suppose they're doing their best... but you could find a better place to stay.

We booked a room. What we got? a TENT on a rooftop (literally, a freking tent and got charged as if it was a room $36 a night) , absolutely accesible to whomever wanted to go into the rooftop as tents do not have locks for obvious reasons. The toilets? yeah, a refurbished container with 2 showers (one of which was either extreme hot water or extreme cold). BTW Melbourne is cold at night... not pretty to be in a tent. It is also kinda windy, so the tent gets a little loud when the wind hits it.

• 12th Mar 2014

Wifi is no longer free! $5 a day. Even though marketing material still says its free. Most of the lockers in my room were busted and quite small. Limited number of outlets to charge items in rooms. It is close to Queen Victoria Market and some cheap eats, which is ncie.

The reason I rated so porely is because we weren't allowed to check in due to only having an international driver's licence. The woman at the desk said that you need a passport or an Australian driver's licence. I have been at many hostels and never was declined my international driver's licence. I checked the site (after having to look for another one at 10 PM on a friday) and it doesn't explicitly say that you need an AUSTRALIAN driver's licence, it just has to be valid!

nice people and good atmosphere to enjoy your stay properly, nice rooms and very clean facilities! i recommend this hostel

Great hostel, but a little bit too big to get in touch with others. However, there's some nice areas to hang out and the vibe is generally good.

the average on the facilities is due to the bugs in the kitchen. but the bathrooms and rooms were clean, nice atmosphere, lot of people.

The hostel is way too big to meet people. Only positive is the downstairs bar

Great Hostel, great rooms, free breakfast, nice staff, good atmosphere!

Really enjoyed my stay there. One thing to improve: provide free luggage storage - 8$ for 8 hours in the locker is a little overpriced.

The bathrooms were amazing!

• 3rd Feb 2014

Got mixed feelings: it's clean toilets and showers are modern and cleaned several times a day. What is really strange, is that the Wifi can only be used for one device; and they don't tell you that when you pay for it. Also a staff member gave wrong information, as she thought "it would work probably". If you know it, tell me, if not, just be honest to prevent problems (like I had). Rooftop is really nice and the kitchen is huge! No ovens, only microwave. Cafe crew superfriendly helpful :D !

All the trips are wonderfull, except for the beachtrip. Its just weird that all of a sudden you have to pay 6$ to get back. Don't pretend like it's for free!

• 31st Jan 2014

Free Pasta and Rice, but mostly finished. Free breakfast great!! The sheets of the bed were looking used..

Not a nice hostel. You can't meet people because its to big. Its not allowed to drink in this hostel. Security very unfriendly. Good location, near to the city, near to the Victoria Market! But next time i will look for another hostel.

I know it's difficult to patrol the entire building but guest should be given a warning and then evicted when they violate the rule like smoking in the building. I stayed at Discovery fro 5 nights and I found people smoking in the building 2 out of the 5 nights right outside of my room. Unfortunately, I didn't have a local phone to call the reception and I didn't want the people to retaliate. (I was traveling alone). They also never refill the soap in the women's bathroom.

They have all sorts of activities for nearly every day to choose from. For example, we went to a wine & cheese night that was awesome! The atmosphere in the hostel is good, the location is great and a good place to stay. There is big enough kitchen to cook food, which is good for backpackers.

wifi no ready at area

Its nice for a short stay, but because its pretty big its hard to meet people and so the atmosphere is not the best - people are pretty much isolated.

• 24th Dec 2013