Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Things done right- nice and clean toilet. location next to Victoria market and within free tram zone Things to improve - Lockers are smaller than usual ones. Insufficient and bad placement of plugs. No free wifi option.

Stayed here many times before in smaller dorms but recently spent the last 5 nights in a 16 bed dorm (302) The smell was disgusting, there was stuff on every inch of the floor and the place was never cleaned throughout my entire stay. Nothing like my other Discovery visits. I definitely won't be back after this... Rancid

• 13th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

Nice enough hostel but the bathrooms need work. staff were friendly. No free wifi is appalling and the management really need to join the modern world. stop ripping off travelers by charging them for it. Free pasta and rice is good and kitchen facilities for a hostel that large are lacking slightly.

Clean, safe, and huge. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The downstairs bar is a big plus. My only issues are that you have to pay to store your luggage ($6 for 8hrs) and they charge for WiFi.

You have to pay for Wi-Fi and luggage storage. Breakfast is cereal and toast - better than nothing. The hostel is very big and as a result not the most social, unless you're lucky with your dorm buddies.

THIS IS THE WORSE HOSTEL WHEN I WAS IN MY LIFE !!! The staff're very surly and rude and for check in i waited in line for half hour When i'm arrived in my room and i'm going to sleep I was awakened AT 1 AM the cleaning lady and she told me that there had been a mistake, and I had to change room I said her I was asleep for an hour and I was not going to change it She left and after half an hour It opened the room and she did enter a couple of old Japaneses that kept me awake for hours SUCKS

• 24th Oct 2015

Good facilities, good bunk beds, great free breakfast. Ping pong tables for a bit of fun, easy location into the CBD. The guy with tattoo on his arm was very helpful. Good, big hostel.

The hostel was in a great location, within walking distance of everything. All doors, from entry into the living areas, bedrooms and bathrooms, needed a keycard so felt very secure. It was very busy so socialising wouldn't be a problem. Will stay again if I'm in Melbourne.

Information on hostelworld says that if we stay 7 nights we get 7 days unlimited wifi. But when we arrived and asked for wifi the staff told us that we had to book through their OWN website otherwise no wifi for booking via other sites. Felt not respected as the staff didn't look at me when talking to me and kept doing his own things. Some staff were being racist to asian people as I noticed they smiled to other european backpackers but not a single smile for us and other asian people.

Would never recommend this place to anybody staying in a group. Put down a security deposit of $100, was told it would take 3-5 days to go back into my account. The money never went back in, I have called multiple times about unfreezing the money and am given a different answer every time. It has been 10 days and the money is still frozen, was told to speak with the manager who advised me to call the bank and that he couldn't help me. The bank advised they couldn't unfreeze it. Don't stay here.

Good stay here, perfect for backpackers or maybe long term. Great location and the staff were great, especially the female security lady on the night shift! Brilliant location, so close to the centre. Good value I recommend. Also very raid to meet people

The system of keeping food in refrigerator have to be forced keep in individual plastic bag with label provided

• 1st Oct 2015
  • Malaysia

Great hostel! Bummer that I could only be on one Internet device at a time. Clean rooms and I felt safe, those things are important too.

I think the bathroom should be a little cleaner and have heat for when it's cold out because it was really cold going into the bathroom and no one likes to shower or use the toilet while freezing cold. Other than that, the staff were really great and the location was good as well!

• 25th Sep 2015

Staff were nice and helpful. Hostel is very large and so are many of the dorm rooms so a bit difficult to socialize in such a large setting. They do have a bar and activities if are interested in those things. Wifi not given unless asked for free although it says its free on the page. Bathroom facilities are far from many of the dorms. It was ok.

Stayed at discovery for 3 nights with my parter, the hostel was lovely, good value for money, really appricated the free kitchen supplies and also the size of the kitchen, the free breakfast was a hole filler was really nice, staff were super friendly and helpful, the bar downstairs was spot on, could even hear the music from our room unlike some hostels, I only have 2 downsides and that would be the toilet felt like miles away from our room also the window in our room wouldn't close properly

The bathrooms were bloody freeeeezing!!! Great location.. It's alright if you're planning to go out and do things, but if you're planning on hanging about I wouldn't recommend it.. Smelly toilets and freezing bathrooms so it was a bit emosh trying to get out the shower and run across the hallway to warmth. The beds were very comfy though! Useful for RSA courses though.. So yeh, average! Great location but empty cold atmosphere x