Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Stayed at discovery for 3 nights with my parter, the hostel was lovely, good value for money, really appricated the free kitchen supplies and also the size of the kitchen, the free breakfast was a hole filler was really nice, staff were super friendly and helpful, the bar downstairs was spot on, could even hear the music from our room unlike some hostels, I only have 2 downsides and that would be the toilet felt like miles away from our room also the window in our room wouldn't close properly

The bathrooms were bloody freeeeezing!!! Great location.. It's alright if you're planning to go out and do things, but if you're planning on hanging about I wouldn't recommend it.. Smelly toilets and freezing bathrooms so it was a bit emosh trying to get out the shower and run across the hallway to warmth. The beds were very comfy though! Useful for RSA courses though.. So yeh, average! Great location but empty cold atmosphere x

I stayed here one night and it was great value for money, clean and decent. Because of that I stayed for 6 nights with another friend and I had almost the opposite experience. We were next to a big public window and people came up there to smoke on the hour. The room was tiny and dark and the bathroom facilities were dirty. I'm not sure what the deal was with this discrepancy but I probably won't stay here again.

Staff very helpful and down to earth. Hostel very clean and has a good bunch of facilities. 5/10 minute walk to flinders. But you're walking down the main shopping road. Everything nearby supermarket and everything. Great stay, this is our second time and would stay again 👌

• 23rd Mar 2015

This hostel is fine!! Stayed here for only 1 night but sheets were clean, reception staff put us in a quieter dorm and were really friendly. Kitchen was a good size and always clean when we used it. Toilets and showers were clean. The bed was one of the comfiest I have stayed in at a hostel. Good area downstairs to watch tv on sofas which they let us use all day when we checkout out. Would stay here again!!

Most of the dorm room doors appeared to be shut for some reason, instead they had a bin propping them open all night. Don't know if this is because the key cards don't work? The room I stayed in was a right mess but probably due to long termers staying in the hostel and taking over. Decent sized kitchen and free breakfast is a win. Wifi was $5 a day. Plenty of showers which were decent but inconsistent in temp, possibly due to sheer size of the place.

Nowhere near as bad as the reviews make out. It's out of the way and needs some serious TLC but rooms, bathrooms and linen are clean, kitchen is big and there's a decent lounge and huge roof terrace. Not particularly social hostel but there is an on-site bar which is probably a good place to meet people. Would stay here again.

"BEER PONG AND FREE FOOD ON FRIDAYS" Food? Nope Beer pong? Buy it yourself and use dirty cups. One single plug in our 16-dorm room, and it was 2,5 meters up the wall. We had 2 fans in our dorm and we couldn't even use them. At least we got breakfast (in the very messy kitchen), but we paid $45 per person for one night so yeah.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

I've stayed at this hostel numerous times now. Was abit bemused this time around only to find 4 lockers for 16 ppl in the room. Every other time I have been here, there have been enough lockers. But the staff downstairs were awesome and they had no problem placing my laptop in their safe. Short walk to everything you need, and trams down the road.

• 12th Mar 2015