Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Location was great for what we needed...although $120 for a twin room (which were bunks) and only very basic furnishings seemed a bit steep. Our own fault as we left it until last minute to book and nothing else available as tennis was on, but I believe you would get better value for money at a budget hotel and would probably even get your own bathroom and TV!!!

Over all fine, didnt like the kitchen too much though. They should have staff there more often to look after and clean up.

• 21st Jan 2016
  • Sweden

The dorm was so smelly!! the whole hostel was not nice and you didn't feel welcome. The kitchen was really gross and the lockers to store luggage after checkout were quite expensive. several things didn't work and I could not get a hairdryer at the reception. Towels were also expensive (5$). I had a 16 beds dorm and the price was 46$ a night !! (Due to Australia Open I suppose). This hostel really sucked, also I ordered a female dorm and got a mixed one..

Extremely expensive for what they offer. Wifi costs 10$ x 3 days and it doesn't work properly. I extendes my stay and was there almost 3w. Lockers in rooms are broken, the ginger guy in reception (am shift) is extremely unhelpful and not nice. Leaving your items in the kitchen = stolen items. I was in 2 rooms, the second one was the whole week dirty and house keeping weren't changing sheets (only for those who check out). IF I WERE YOU, I WOULDNT GO THERE. South-east asia hostels are better

Kitchen too small in relation to the beds. Not enough cooking stuff. Ghetto in the kitchen. Dirty bathrooms. Facilities in a bad condition. Backpakers United is much better. There i stay now.

The facilities are good but the people staying there are most of them working and living at the hostel so they aren't friendly. People not really talk to each other. That the thing I didn't like it. If you want to meet people that's not the place. Also you have to paid for wifi 5 aus a day. Too expensive.

The guy that checked me both in and out was really chill and polite. The room was nice and relaxed but unfortunately outside of the hostel's control, I heard drunk people running up and down the hallway, banging on my door, swearing at me and telling me to get out and later on when I went for a walk there was a huge altercation with about 10 or so patrons outside of the hostel. I don't fault this to the hostel as it's out of their control, but it was unsettling and like nothing I had experienced

• 31st Dec 2015

(1) Most of the reception people were not very friendly. (2) On our last day in the hostel our air condition broke up and it was a very hot night, we informed the reception people about the problem but they only said if the technicians are around they can fix it, if not we should wait. So nothing happened and we had the most terrible night ever in the hot room.(3) There were a couple of insects running around & as I have phobia for insects, it was quite a bad time for me.

• 30th Dec 2015
  • Turkey

My room was very dirty, the housekeepers never came to clean. The second floor it smell like fish and feet, and the bathroom as well . The kitchen is unfurnished: no sharp knifes, no forks, no pans and is also dirty like a bin. Nobody take care about the free breakfast: if the bread or the milk is finish you (the costumer) have to take care about it. The staff at the reception and at the bar is friendly and helpful thought, even if they are always obsessed checking if u have paid for your stay.

It's not a bad hostel, but it's not a good one either. Pretty average. Rooms were clean. What I didn't like: - Kitchen to small - You always have to clean your utilities in the kitchen BEFORE you can use it (provide tea towels, please!) - some bathrooms weren't clean, one toilet door could not be closed - On arrival, I had to pay for luggage locker and couldn't use available luggage room - Booked for three nights, but had to change room after first night You'll find better place for the money.

This was a big hostel and it showed, I had an issue with the kitchen that was too small for that amount of guests and sometimes it was hard to find a seat. It was also overall grubby and the bathrooms needed an update. I switched to another hostel that was better.

I paid 15 dollars for four free drinks I never drank. I was pissed. The hostel is nice anyway, just be careful with these (free) drinks. See ya !

The staff was very unfrienfly and not helpful at at all. We had to move room twice, which was very inconvenient . The atmosphere is OK for a big hostel like that. Breakfast was good though and they have a huge rooftop.

Not clean in rooms or bathrooms. Chocolate milkshake that had been kicked up door and wall in room and had been left. Girls toilets smelled badly of urine and fish. Lifts were really slow, some laundry facilities did not work. Not enough storage for amount of people staying there. We had booked a 4 bed dorm but when we arrived we were told there was no other rooms and we were in a 6 bed dorm and one bed wasn't made. Key cards for rooms also stopped working two times each when there.

• 26th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

Kitchen is like a bin, never seen one that dirty and messy!! Always looking for a pan clean or not broken, miss fork at all time and there is only dessert dishe, oven broken, heater 50% broken!! No place in a fridge!! Otherwise there is pool table but it's 3$ but better than nothing, console wii with Mario kart, poker table...

Leave me alone

• 21st Nov 2015

Things done right- nice and clean toilet. location next to Victoria market and within free tram zone Things to improve - Lockers are smaller than usual ones. Insufficient and bad placement of plugs. No free wifi option.

Staff really let this place down to be honest they were all so rude! Arrived at 7am check in not until 2 couldn't use any of the facilities in the hostel until then which was surprising everywhere else does. They charge a fortune for luggage storage as well! Not ideal. Rooms very basic which is fine but not in this case- dirty and unwelcoming. Kitchen is nice and the cinema room with loads of bean bags is a good idea for unpredictable Melbourne weather! Don't think I'd stay again though.

They should improve the air conditionning in their rooms

• 18th Nov 2015
  • Belgium

Stayed here many times before in smaller dorms but recently spent the last 5 nights in a 16 bed dorm (302) The smell was disgusting, there was stuff on every inch of the floor and the place was never cleaned throughout my entire stay. Nothing like my other Discovery visits. I definitely won't be back after this... Rancid

• 13th Nov 2015