Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Staff are friendly and helpful. However the room and shower facilities are relatively not in good condition. Wifi is an extra. But they provide a light breakfast which is good for the budget travelers. Overall, I would not recommend if you care about hygiene.

I am a return visitor to Discovery Melbourne. I went back because I liked the cleanliness and the atmosphere. It's great in comparison to the other hostels I've been to. Their rates are also very reasonable. They have a very nice lounge area and there is an ATM and Cafe right there. The kitchen and TV area is clean too. I'd definitely go back.

Fantastic hostel, very helpful staff, accommodated all of our needs. Facilities are excellent downstairs and the rooms are everything you need. Good value for money considering Australia as a whole is expensive and its located in the very centre of Melbourne. Only recommendation is that you take your own chunky padlock for the lockers in the bedrooms and unfortunately WiFi is expensive... $5 per day or $10 for 3 days. Other than that I would certainly recommend.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Location was good, the rooms and the bathrooms were a bit dirty and the atmosphere was a tad dull. Could have had a lot to do with the weather though as was quite wet, cold and windy for my stay.

It was fine for my four night stay but I wouldn't like to stay any longer. The rooms were basic but had lockers for your valuales. Free breakfsst was a real bonus!

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Don't have enough sockets. Room so dark. Toilet dirty. Night counter staff very slow when I check in and unfriendly.

• 13th May 2014
  • Taiwan

I like the helpful staff and location of Discovery Melbourne. There is different coutries people stayed there, you can make friends easily.Parties are all around you, even until midnight. I can hardly sleep. The hygiene is poor in the shared bathroom and Kitchen. Bathroom is clean only every 2 days. And kitchen always has cockroach. Cooking utensil always not clean up after use. I like staff help clean up the room. However, they will not make sure the door is locked properly or not. Disappoint

We booking 3 people room. Free pickup to backpacker. Location is near China town just 10 mins. The price is reasonable. Include breakfast everyday, have free shuttle to Brighton beach.The room and bathroom is clean and the reception is 24 hours!! Very nice :)

• 9th Apr 2014

Really good location and great communal areas. However, rooms were dark and dingy and it was a very unsocial hostel compared to other places I've stayed.

Stayed here in March 2014. The room itself was a little small but clean and the bathroom facilities also clean. However, the kitchen had cockroaches and birds flying around which wasn't very nice. Having said that, you'll be fine if you wash your cooking equipment and keep and eye on you're food when you're cooking it. Location was ok but very far away from where the airport bus goes from. There is a shuttle to the bus stop but it doesn't run between 11pm-5am. Staff were nice.

For a massive hostel, the hostel is pretty good (if you don't factor in the state of the kitchen). It has a lot of amenities, and even the 16-dorm room is a decent size. My only complaint is how dirty the kitchen is. There is food, dirty pots and pans everywhere, and birds flying around. I saw staff in there constantly trying to keep it clean, so I suppose they're doing their best... but you could find a better place to stay.

We booked a room. What we got? a TENT on a rooftop (literally, a freking tent and got charged as if it was a room $36 a night) , absolutely accesible to whomever wanted to go into the rooftop as tents do not have locks for obvious reasons. The toilets? yeah, a refurbished container with 2 showers (one of which was either extreme hot water or extreme cold). BTW Melbourne is cold at night... not pretty to be in a tent. It is also kinda windy, so the tent gets a little loud when the wind hits it.

• 12th Mar 2014

Wifi is no longer free! $5 a day. Even though marketing material still says its free. Most of the lockers in my room were busted and quite small. Limited number of outlets to charge items in rooms. It is close to Queen Victoria Market and some cheap eats, which is ncie.

The reason I rated so porely is because we weren't allowed to check in due to only having an international driver's licence. The woman at the desk said that you need a passport or an Australian driver's licence. I have been at many hostels and never was declined my international driver's licence. I checked the site (after having to look for another one at 10 PM on a friday) and it doesn't explicitly say that you need an AUSTRALIAN driver's licence, it just has to be valid!

nice people and good atmosphere to enjoy your stay properly, nice rooms and very clean facilities! i recommend this hostel