Discovery Melbourne Reviews

167 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Australia

Staff very helpful and down to earth. Hostel very clean and has a good bunch of facilities. 5/10 minute walk to flinders. But you're walking down the main shopping road. Everything nearby supermarket and everything. Great stay, this is our second time and would stay again 👌

• 23rd Mar 2015

This hostel is fine!! Stayed here for only 1 night but sheets were clean, reception staff put us in a quieter dorm and were really friendly. Kitchen was a good size and always clean when we used it. Toilets and showers were clean. The bed was one of the comfiest I have stayed in at a hostel. Good area downstairs to watch tv on sofas which they let us use all day when we checkout out. Would stay here again!!

Most of the dorm room doors appeared to be shut for some reason, instead they had a bin propping them open all night. Don't know if this is because the key cards don't work? The room I stayed in was a right mess but probably due to long termers staying in the hostel and taking over. Decent sized kitchen and free breakfast is a win. Wifi was $5 a day. Plenty of showers which were decent but inconsistent in temp, possibly due to sheer size of the place.

Nowhere near as bad as the reviews make out. It's out of the way and needs some serious TLC but rooms, bathrooms and linen are clean, kitchen is big and there's a decent lounge and huge roof terrace. Not particularly social hostel but there is an on-site bar which is probably a good place to meet people. Would stay here again.

"BEER PONG AND FREE FOOD ON FRIDAYS" Food? Nope Beer pong? Buy it yourself and use dirty cups. One single plug in our 16-dorm room, and it was 2,5 meters up the wall. We had 2 fans in our dorm and we couldn't even use them. At least we got breakfast (in the very messy kitchen), but we paid $45 per person for one night so yeah.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

I've stayed at this hostel numerous times now. Was abit bemused this time around only to find 4 lockers for 16 ppl in the room. Every other time I have been here, there have been enough lockers. But the staff downstairs were awesome and they had no problem placing my laptop in their safe. Short walk to everything you need, and trams down the road.

• 12th Mar 2015

Hostel is just too big, too busy. Friendly helpful staff but I wasn't told to put a tag on my bed. The sheets were filty so I went in search of clean ones and changed the bed only to find out the bed was already taken so had to find another one. It was so hot and stuffy in the room. The shower I used went from boiling to freezing every few seconds, they need to be fixed. What is with charging ridiculous prices to use lockers to store bags when I've paid to stay at the place? pure crazy.

One fan for 12 people on a hot night isn't enough Only 3 power plugs for 12 Showers were okay Lockers provided

• 22nd Feb 2015

you have to cook the pancake yourself…

첫날 도착했는데 방문 카드키가 안됐다... 다음날 고쳐준다고 안에 있는 사람들에게 열어달라고 하랜다.. 첫날 그래서 밖에 맘편히 못나갔다 천장형 선풍기는 돌리면 2층 침대 쓰는 사람 목 잘린다고 쓰지말랜다 방 청소는 3일동안 한번도 안해준다 샤워기를 틀었더니 샤워기 레버가 떨어졌다 아 그리고 누가 무료셔틀 해준댔는데 그거 2주이상 묵었을 때 란다. 내 인생 최악의 숙소 괜히 블로그 믿고 피보지 마시길 1점도 주기 아까운데 시스템상 안되서 준다^^

very good hostel. only the information given by the staff about the cost for the lockers to store baggage and the room pricing was a bit confusing. but in the end, all good!

What's looks good on outside is not always the same inside. This hostels have added to much stuff around like events and café so they have forgot to take care of the messy, broken and with out pots kitchen. And then you most pay expensive for wifi. Avoid this hostel if you can.

Nothing worked!

• 24th Jan 2015

Booked a 12 bed dorm, ended up in a 14bed tent on the roof, the beds were comfortable though. There was 1 power outlet in the room as a result I charged my phone in the toilet and ended up getting STOLEN!! This happened at approx 8.30am. I went straight to reception as was only a 10minute window to of been taken and the staff were not helpful.

• 21st Jan 2015

Nice hostel, great placement but very smelly in the rooms

There were no clean beds ... they were all visibly dirty and they don't take the time to fold the blankets or put on the pillow covers. I had my bed stolen twice in one night. It was really less than ideal. The key cards barely worked. The toilets were disgusting (I looked and they only spend 15-20 minutes per bathroom which is totally not enough time to clean such large facilities). This was my fifth hostel in Melbourne, and I'd never go back nor recommend it to anyone.

Really disappointed... What happened to the discovery 3 years ago? It was more welcoming, people had free breakie together in the main place not like chickens in the kitchen. what happened to the free cheese

Check in was inefficient and the staff member didn't seem to know what was going on. Not sure if it is actually unclean, but it certainly felt like it. The kitchen was revolting and food ran out at breakfast. Lifts didn't work properly - I had to take the stairs to level one.

I expected it To be better atfter the high recommondation rate. I was very disappointed by the location, you have to talk about 10 minutes to the next tram station. There goes the free city circle line which is nice, but you're defininetely not close to the centre and far away ( 35 min walk) from Flinders station and Fed Square. The kitchen is not open between 9pm and 7am and there are exactly 3 muesli bowls. That's Absolutely dissatisfying but all in all the stay was ok because it's cheap.

A bit grubby and run down in areas, v loud. Not enough storage in rooms, no personal lighting and not enough power points.