Dorset House Backpackers Reviews

1 Dorset Street, PO Box 25350, Christchurch, New Zealand

Great hostel! Feels like your grandma's home and I liket it! haha Great showers and very clean facilities. I have intentions to come back!!!

Dorset house was clean and warm...which we liked. It seemed like a long, cold walk from the bus stop...which we didn't like. Everything else was fine tho.

Relaxed atmosphere, very friendly staff, clean rooms and reasonable facilities. On the whole a positive experience.

Nice hostel, a little quirky! Has everything you could want. We only stayed one night as we were just passing through so not sure about the location, think it's a little far from the main hub. Also reception closes at 6pm which is unusual.. But a key was left out for us and we had no problems. Nice kitchen, common areas, hot showers and free wifi

We stayed here for three nights and found almost everything perfect. You might pay a little more than some other backpacker hostels but it shows in the cleanliness and service. The rooms are very cosy and the beds extremely comfortable. The only negative for us was that our shower when hot didn't have as much pressure as one might require. But thats only a minor issue for winter months! Overall this place is very nice.

Great place to stay, staff are more than willing to help you with any questions. Probably the best stocked kitchen I've seen in a hostel. Love the fact there are no bunks just single beds!

• 18th May 2015

Too far from supermarket.

Quaint little hostel right next to the park. Very helpful staff, comfortable beds, warm showers.

Reception closed at 6 so I had to wait outside until someone staying in the hostel let me in. Shower was cold and awful. No atmosphere whatsoever. Staff member who I spoke to the next day was miserable too. Absolutely miles from the nearest shop. Only positive was that I wasn't in a bunk bed. Not for young travellers at all.

The hostel is a very nice hostel and is clean. The reception is closed between the hours of 0800 and 1800, which means you have to have a code to enter the building. There are no staff present outside of these hours, which can prove to be problematic. If you arrive late, the reception tells you the code and leaves your room key in an envelope at reception. The bathrooms are very clean, and individual. The entire hostel has large ceilings and has a very vintage feel to it. I would recommend it.

A peaceful hostel in a beautiful Victorian building. It is very clean and has a lovely atmosphere.

Very cute and cozy hostel! I would definitely stay again!

Great place to stay. Just think it is odd that the reception is unmanned after 6. A lot of people arrive after this time. One couple could not get in because they were not sent a security number. Room doors do not auto lock and no safe place to keep stuff in room.

Nice laidback quInt hostel . Had a single room with TV which was good

Too expensive for what it is.

• 24th Jan 2015

Right across the park and a 10 minute walk from the city centre/museum. Clean rooms/bathrooms and good beds.

• 24th Jan 2015

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, super cute and clean, the lounge is cosy and there is a free WiFi code (a rarity in New Zealand). It is an easy 10 minute walk to the museum where a lot of the busses depart from, and right off a street with a lot of restaurants and bars. 10-15 minute stroll into the centre of town as well. Also worth mentioning that there are no bunks - just straight up beds! Great night's sleep.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. Super clean, no bunk beds, well equipped kitchen, friendly staff. I liked it!

View all Christchurch Hostels