Dorset House Backpackers Reviews

1 Dorset Street, PO Box 25350, Christchurch, New Zealand

The hostel is a very nice hostel and is clean. The reception is closed between the hours of 0800 and 1800, which means you have to have a code to enter the building. There are no staff present outside of these hours, which can prove to be problematic. If you arrive late, the reception tells you the code and leaves your room key in an envelope at reception. The bathrooms are very clean, and individual. The entire hostel has large ceilings and has a very vintage feel to it. I would recommend it.

Very cute and cozy hostel! I would definitely stay again!

Great place to stay. Just think it is odd that the reception is unmanned after 6. A lot of people arrive after this time. One couple could not get in because they were not sent a security number. Room doors do not auto lock and no safe place to keep stuff in room.

Nice laidback quInt hostel . Had a single room with TV which was good

Too expensive for what it is.

• 24th Jan 2015

Right across the park and a 10 minute walk from the city centre/museum. Clean rooms/bathrooms and good beds.

• 24th Jan 2015

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, super cute and clean, the lounge is cosy and there is a free WiFi code (a rarity in New Zealand). It is an easy 10 minute walk to the museum where a lot of the busses depart from, and right off a street with a lot of restaurants and bars. 10-15 minute stroll into the centre of town as well. Also worth mentioning that there are no bunks - just straight up beds! Great night's sleep.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. Super clean, no bunk beds, well equipped kitchen, friendly staff. I liked it!

I stayed in the hostel just for one night and arrived after the reception times and left in the morning before reception times so I can't say anything about the staffs. It's easy to go there by bus from airport. The hostel is very clean and the atmosphere is nice because of a big kitchen and the rooms are cosy because of single beds. There are unfortunately no lockers in the room, but with the right room mates it is no problem and you know it by booking. Thanks for a nice stay!

I Have stayed for 3 nights and met 3 different staffs each days, both are nice and helpful but on 29th Nov, I met a Japanese gal who has informed the staff that she would check in after office hours and she also got the reply that the staff would leave her the key and info in the reception. But when she arrived, the staff forgot to put the stuff there and that gal was helpless. I have help her to make a call by the emergency no. of the hostel

Nice chilled out hostel, really helpful staff too

Good hostel - only complaint is it got cold at night and the provided blankets were woefully inadequate

Reception closes at 6 which is disappointing. My room had single beds which is nice. There is no atmosphere in the hostel what so ever.

Nice atmosphere in this hostel, feels like a bed and breakfast. No bunkbeds which is nice. Reception isn't open very late so if you're coming in after hours might be a problem but we weren't so it wasn't a problem for us.

I have been to dorset house before, but dont think I will return .My room just had people working in construction in it , I was the the only one on holiday.

• 1st Nov 2014

Great hostel! Quiet, chill, not a place you go to party which was totally fine with me.

Decent hostel, showers were a bit temperamental. Single beds are awesome especially after a long flight!

View all Christchurch Hostels