Dorset House Backpackers Reviews

1 Dorset Street, PO Box 25350, Christchurch, New Zealand

I Have stayed for 3 nights and met 3 different staffs each days, both are nice and helpful but on 29th Nov, I met a Japanese gal who has informed the staff that she would check in after office hours and she also got the reply that the staff would leave her the key and info in the reception. But when she arrived, the staff forgot to put the stuff there and that gal was helpless. I have help her to make a call by the emergency no. of the hostel

Good hostel - only complaint is it got cold at night and the provided blankets were woefully inadequate

Reception closes at 6 which is disappointing. My room had single beds which is nice. There is no atmosphere in the hostel what so ever.

Nice atmosphere in this hostel, feels like a bed and breakfast. No bunkbeds which is nice. Reception isn't open very late so if you're coming in after hours might be a problem but we weren't so it wasn't a problem for us.

I have been to dorset house before, but dont think I will return .My room just had people working in construction in it , I was the the only one on holiday.

• 1st Nov 2014

Great hostel! Quiet, chill, not a place you go to party which was totally fine with me.

Decent hostel, showers were a bit temperamental. Single beds are awesome especially after a long flight!

Dorset is a nice hostel... I likes that they don't have bunk beds. It was quiet and the kitchen and living room has basically all you need.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Nothing can be seen in the twin bed room, except two small iron beds and a litter basket; no chiar, table, and even no cloth hanger at all. Strangers can easily get into our room either from the window or door.

This hostel is the best one compared to the rest accommodations when we were in new Zealand for 14 days. It provides free parking and very good kitchen facilities. it is situated near a large and beautiful city park. It would be very much appreciated if the opening hours of the reception counter could be extended beyond 19:00. This will be helpful for those who arrive late.

Lovely hostel, feels more like a B&B. Next to the park and close to the Canterbury museum.

Dorset house was a cozy, clean and comfortable hostel. I visited in early spring and the room was warm and comfortable. The location quiet at night so I slept well. An easy walk maybe 20 mins into the centre of Christchurch, and a nice pub, the Harlequin just around the corner. Great place to stay.

Nice quiet hostel with helpful staff and walking distance to everything or on a easy bus route.

• 19th Aug 2014

This was a stopover night for me so I didnt spend much time, but it has everything you need. Great showers and warm, comfy beds. Kitchen is well equipped and the lounge area is awesome! Comfy couches and big tv for relaxing. It is located next to a large park with great restaurants (the Thai restaurant was awesome!) around the corner which were quite busy on a Friday night. It was a 15min walk to the Intercity bus stop. The staff was helpful but not really friendly.

Really good facilities and the hostel was cleaned everytime I was around, also a solid lounge area with a tv and pool table to hang out.

Great hostel ! no bunk beds a bonus ! i was upgraded into a room with a tv and eletric blankets ! hair dryers in the bathrooms! keept lovely, clean and warm. Will definatly be staying here when i return to christchurch :)

• 8th Aug 2014

Really good but very quiet

Charming place to stay!

• 27th Jul 2014

Lovely staff member (english lady) safe, clean and tidy. Nice facility with lots of showers and toilets! Close to lots of food places as well! Had a lovely stop over here!

Nice place. Not too far from the city center and nakedbus stop. Room was quite cold in the morning (there was only one small electric heater set on automatic and unadjustable timer that did not last the whole night).

View all Christchurch Hostels