Dover Castle Hostel and Bar Reviews

6a Great Dover Street, London, England

Would definitely recommend this hostel. Stone's throw from Borough Station and very comfortable beds. Selected cheap drinks for guests at £2.70 each in downstairs bar as well as free breakfast in the morning. A steal at £12 a night. If coming to London again I'd look no further.

I wasn't impressed with this hostel. The staff was not friendly or helpful with questions I had. Cleanliness was terrible. My "clean" sheets had stains on them, one appearing to be blood. The bathroom's were about as good as I could have hoped for. On my floor were three rooms and between all of these rooms that had multiple people in them (mine had 12) there was one shower available. The only common room area was the bar, which was open until 02:00 making sleeping difficult. Don't stay here!

The cleaning staff was incredibly rude. I got yelled at for taking a ten minute (not even) shower. It would be easier to shower quickly if I could turn on the water one time and it stays on instead of having to press the button every ten seconds.

the room door is very hard to close, bed rack is broken, kitchen always full of people and wifi can't use in bedroom. the ratio of bathroom is too less for each floor.

I'll use this place again. London is soooo expensive, and this place is much better than my scoring makes it look.

• 8th Apr 2015

Only could showers...and One or two staff members were gossiping about guests. However, most of the straff was really nice and happy to help with nearly all request. A good place to stay if you're on budget but still be located close to the centre of the City.

• 7th Apr 2015

Worst shower in a hostel yet. Not the most comfy beds. Night staff were nice and friendly, but morning were not at all. Atmosphere wasnt the best, more loud and abnoxious then social. That said, cheap and central enough, and really appreciated being able to leave bag next day.

This is my second time here and it has improved, the guy at the desk was one of the friendliest I've encountered at a hostel and the room allocated was one of the (comparatively) largest i've seen at a hostel, as was the bed, which was also allocated. Lockers were only £1, the breakfast was basic and served in the bar downstairs, which is large but not comfortable. The only downside is the noise from the bar downstairs throughout the night but that isn't the hostels fault.

The hostel is clean and the staff is very helpful, the only thing that we found disturbing is the shower situations, at the third floor there isn't hot water in them, and in every case they are very small and unconfortable. The toilettes are very clean but there are only a few and very small. But eventually, seen the price and the position of the hostel, I'm very happy of my choice.

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We had a great stay at Dover Castle. The room was clean and spacious. We were on the first floor and therefore could hear the music from the pub until they turned it off at 2 am, but that was something we were aware of if you book a hostel over a bar and it didn't disturb us. One toilet and two showers on our floor which was totally alright as there were only two rooms. The kitchen looked really nice too although we always ate out. The location was absolutely great! We would come here again!

• 12th Feb 2015

The place is nice. If you have a lot of euros and you want to convert them to pounds they do it there for a good rate too. Going up to the 3rd floor old be a hassle just make a note of that!

• 6th Feb 2015

was a good place to stay,seems to attract honesty,never had any fears of stealing,even food .could do with more showers!!

the black guy at the reception is kind of rude with a weird ego. he made me wait for about half an hour and checked-in 3 girls before me. the rest is ok, a typical average hostel.

Overall fine stay. tips: oil the bedroom doors they make lot of noise and how about small dim lights in the rooms? Btw wifi is not available on the 3rd floor.

• 24th Jan 2015

Beds were a little noisy and wifi range wasn't enough to the top floor but otherwise only positive things. Very good location near the borough tube station. Staff was friendly, the noise from the pub downstairs wasn't annoying at all (depends ofc the floor u are living) and free breakfast was a nice plus. Facilities should be updated but everything worked fine (hot water from the shower etc.)

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Finland

The building was old but clean. The staff was very friendly! When there were no adapters available, they offered that we'd buy one at the shop around the corner and that they would reimburse the cost for the adapter, so that really helped us out. The beds were quite uncomfortable however, and there were not nearly enough showers. On our floor, there were 4 dorms but there were only 2 showers available (only 1if you don't like showering with a friend) for over 20 people.

The facility is totally inadequate, not enough showers, and those which there are barely work (among other deficiencies). The staff were fine, but this place is only really tolerable if you like 3am hallway parties (I don't).

The facilities are really bad, and the price is not quite well. However, the location is fairly good!

no comment..

Poor bathroom, but is secure, hot wate, near to tube.