Dover Castle Hostel and Bar Reviews

6a Great Dover Street, London, England

The staff were great and the best thing about the place. The hostel itself was very old and out dated. The shower facilities were basic, but not clean, the rooms were okay. Paying for lockers is not my favourite thing and the common room atmosphere depends completely on what the last person cooked. So my night it smelled of over cooked cauliflower. Ha! You also need to be physically fit with the stairs.

We were staying at this hostel for 4 days. We were at the 3rd floor, there is no lift, rooms are small and without windows that you can open (in the room is ventilator and small opennings for the air to circulate - but it's minimal). For using lockers you have to pay the deposit. Bathrooms are smelly, and this smell comes through lower end of the door in the room. So you can imagine the atmosphere in the room. The staff was helpful and kind. Breakfast is ok. The hostel has a great location.

poor bathroom facilities, lack of sinks etc. no soap in soap dispenses. student party going on without being told of this when booked.

Idéal pour passer un week-end sur Londres entre amis. Proche des transports en commun ainsi que de la boite de nuit Ministry Of Sound. Le personnel est très agréable et les lieux sont propres. --- It's is the perfect place to stay for a weekend in London. Close to the subway station and the night club Ministry Of Sound. Staff is very pleasant and rooms are clean.

• 19th Sep 2014

The curtains to separate the shower are a bit off.. No privacy in there. Otherwise great location and helpful staff.. Wouldn't be too hard for the females to smile a little though !!!

Location was good. I wouldn't recommend top floor since there isn't a lift. When I book next time I will request 1st or 2nd floor. The 3rd floor was a little warm because it was warm weather that week. Other than that I will be back and recommend it. They have electric codes on outside doors and lots of security cameras throughout so it felt safe. They have lockers to rent to put valuables but I still kept my stuff with me at all times.

• 4th Sep 2014

The room was okay. The shower were cold and had no pressure. If both shower heads were going the same time, the water would just run down the wall. WiFi did not work in our room either.

Awesome place, anywhere that offers 24 hour reception is a gem in my books. The bar is great, staff are friendly and always up for a chat.

By far the worst I've stayed in. Old mouldy building and extremely unpleasant, smelly washrooms. Absurd deposits on room keys and lockers aren't organized well.. Ended up having to walk up and down stairs to get to a locker not on my floor. Will never return.

The rooms were fairly small and cramped (most kept their luggage by their beds, presumably since free lockers are not provided). I stayed during late August and the room was very warm (in the low 80s F). I found it nice that they provided a free breakfast (which, while not great, prevents you from having to prepare/buy one yourself) and a free luggage storage room (although the room is not super secure, so I paid to keep my important items in a locker). Overall, I'd say the hostel is average.

Hi. We stayed there for one night only, it's a great place if you are on a budget, cheap and central. 2min walk from tube station, (zone one). Breakfast included.i would recomend the hostel for short stay.

• 17th Aug 2014

Dover castle is close to london bridge and 20 min walk from waterloo station, staff are nice and the facilities are OK

No hot water , uncomfortable bed, need to walk up many stairs. Clean toilets shower, great location, breakfast in the pub with fresh fruit.

I stayed just 1 day and I moved another hostel for my personal schedule. After I moved another hostel, I wanted to go back to Dover hostel. I thought their breakfast was just basic but there was an additional fruit which offered each person and "well-equipped kitchen". Remember, London have horrible cost.

It was safe and clean enough for one night, but it was extremely noisy due to the bar downstairs and people outside- maybe better windows would help? And without air-conditioning in the summer, the room became stiflingly hot as soon as the sun came up in the morning.

• 25th Jul 2014

Bad metall springs into sleeping mats, my back is ill, need to visit a doctor after 5 nights on it

Stayed only one night but was very pleased with the hostel. The location is down the street from the Borough tube station. The man who was working the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorm. The bedding was clean and the mattresses were more comfortable than I expected. The showers were clean and ran hot water. Free wifi, breakfast, and lockers were included. You could also borrow a power converter for free with a 5 pound deposit. Would definitely book again.

Wanted to stay at the Dover but the computers messed up and booked our room to someone else. They sent us to a sister hostel, it wasn't very good at the cricketer but the manager was awesome and took some money off of the total and bought my buddy and I a beer so it worked out. Great bar and great atmosphere.

The hostel is with in walking distance of many sightseeing attractions!

Loved it. A little more help from one of the staff members would have been perfect.