Dover Castle Hostel and Bar Reviews

6a Great Dover Street, London, England

Our stay in Dover Castle Hostel was very nice and if I go to London would stay here again. Moreover you got a drink and breakfest for free

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Czech Republic

Room's door was so difficult to close it was never locked. Lockers were not in the room and you had to pay for them. The AC unit (the room was warm), sounded like a helicopter. Breakfast staff was incredibly rude, he basically yelled "breakfast is over, everybody leave now." Bed was unstable, mattress had a dip in it, coils were very protruding. Essentially one shower per floor. Super cramped showers too, worst shower I've used. Kitchen was small and gross. The wifi worked well!

The location is pretty decent and the security is good, however. The guy behind the reception was the rudest person I've ever come across in a hostel. If I wasn't from London I'd have probably hated the city based on his unwillingness to help. Purposely very slow and doing everything. Not impressed. Took a £20.00 key deposit which I thought was stupid, then refused to give it back to me on my debit card and made me take in the cash. Facilities are a joke. Most of the showrs broken. DO NOT STAY.

This hostel was below expectations but I don't have a lot of London hostel experience to compare it to. If you are on the first floor expect to not get much sleep before 2am. The pub is directly below you and plays loud horrible pop music until closing. There are two showers in the whole facility that comes complete with mold on the walls. They also have the push button for the showers so be prepared to press it every 18 seconds. There are very few toilets also some without sinks.

NEEDS REFURBISHMENT AS WATER DRIPPING FROM CEILING! SO NOISY AS ON MAIN ROAD CHOOSE ANOTHER HOSTEL!!!!!!

One of the other travellers ruined this experience for me. Staff handled it ok but I felt security was poor because of this.

The good things: Relatively good location and a decent free breakfast. The guy at the reception got almost personally offended when I tried spelling my name and he wasn't very friendly over all. The kitchen/living room is too small and there were only two toilets and showers on our floor. The hostel is situated next to a busy street, sleeping in is impossible. Wasn't my first stay in London so I know it can be done better, book only if you don't wanna spend too much time at your hostel.

Pros: chill atmosphere, nice friendly people + staff, LOCATION IS WORTH ALL THE £s, couple of minutes walk from a Borough tube station, maybe 10 minute walk to the Thames (walkable distance to heaps of attractions). Cons: only one shower on the level (wake up around 6am of you don't wanna wait), top bunk is close to the lights- BRING AN EYEMASK!! Others can be selfish and keep the light on past midnight. Wifi can be tricky to connect to sometimes.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Wifi doesn't really work. Maybe you should write on your page that you want caution for the free towels.

• 2nd Aug 2015
  • Slovenia

Marco and Sunny were extremely helpful and friendly. The lock on my room's door was a bit fiddly but the room was nice and clean. Didn't have to pay to borrow things like a adapter or towels, just a deposit to be returned on check out. Would stay again for sure.

Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were comfortable enough. The shower on our floor had a weird smell to it

Nice international atmosphere, very easy to meet new people. Also the hostel pub is very nice and friendly and perfect to meet both the guests of the hostel and normal costumers. the restrooms though were very dirty, bad smell from the showers and no hot water in the third floor.

• 26th Jul 2015

The manager of the hostel, Carina is one of the nicest people I've met, and the owner has quite the sense of humor. So glad I stayed, I would gladly stay again. Very pleased with my choice to stay at this wonderful place.

Cold water no hot water Rudest staff ever

The location of Hostel is very convenient. The breakfast is included but not satisfied with the quality of breakfast. Only included breads and cereals. The fruits supply was also limited. We could not get any since we arrived a bit late. Nobody to attend while breakfast.

• 11th Jul 2015
  • India

Showers were cold, and other guests found the lack of privacy to be uncomfortable (as in left when they saw me in there in my underwear) I didn't mind them, though. The location is awesome. A sunset walk on the Thames to the London Bridge and Tower Bridge is soooo close!

This is a fantastic hostel. The staff are very friendly the dorm room was clean and spacious. I had a great view of the shard from my bed. My stay couldn't have been better thanks to everyone there)

A great location! Everything was very comfortable - an enjoyable stay.

For the money I paid, everything was great. I coulnd't make breakfasts because everyday I left the hostel before 8.00 so maybe if only they started a little bit earlier I would be 100% satisfied. But otherwise the stay was great, no regrets.

• 20th Jun 2015
  • Czech Republic

Positive points: Localization And the breackfast that it's ok Negative points The btahroom for shower was dirty and bad smell The staff from reception wasn't friendly and helpfull rhe rooms were warm and bad smell

• 19th Jun 2015