Dover Castle Hostel and Bar Reviews

6a Great Dover Street, London, England

Definitely not the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Everything felt old and grungy and the showers had mould in them. The only plus side is that the location was great. Really close to London Bridge and right on the Northern Line. If you're looking for a budget place where you don't really plan on spending much time in your hostel or meeting people in your hostel than go for it, otherwise pick somewhere else.

I enjoyed my stay here, it was close to everything and the breakfast in the morning was great, however the wifi didn't work in my room and although everything was cleaned everyday it didn't feel very clean.

The rooms and toilets are clean but shower rooms are too tiny.

great location but not enough showers and outlets

Cant ask for better facilities for what i paid. really enjoyed the stay. thank you Dover Castle.

Very unaccommodating. I wanted to sit in the common room to charge my phone while waiting for my train after I'd checked out in the morning. Was told I wasn't allowed to be in there, and was forced to leave. I felt shamed and unwelcome. I've never had this experience with any other hostel. Also, quite dirty. Loud bell outside my window, which I was unable to fully close. Rain also came in through said window. Door wouldn't lock, and no lockers in room, so 0 security. Definitely won't be back.

The distance between a bad to another bed is too close. It makes me a little bit uncomfortable. However, the breakfast is great.

• 1st Oct 2015
  • Indonesia

This was a very average hostel however I can't find anything that was wrong with my stay so from a budget traveller's point of view it was fantastic because of how cheap it was for London. I am the type of traveller that is out for all of the day and don't care where I sleep as long as I've got a bed for the night so I would definitely stay here again for the sake of saving a few pounds.

• 27th Sep 2015

Showers arent the best and often there are queues to use them.

Very good atmosphere and location, pub was awesome. Nearly subway makes worth for the money.

• 24th Sep 2015

You get exactly what you pay for. There's room for improvement for sure; the bathrooms are dingy and occasionally nonfunctional, some of the staff can come off as gruff, and the nights are noisy. However, this seems to be the product of a small overworked staff trying to cope with cleaning up after disgusting and disrespectful residents. If you take a moment to talk to the staff you'll find that they an actually be very friendly. Not amazing, but certainly good value for the cost.

Great location and lively bar attached. Facilities are a bit lacking. One shower per floor, only one additional sink on the floor. Be prepared for a wait to brush your teeth!

• 18th Sep 2015

The showers we the most disgusting I've ever been in. I felt dirtier after showering than I did before. The free breakfast was just toast and the rooms were so cramped there was no where to put bags. The beds were so close together the other people's feet were in my face. Wouldn't recommend staying here however the staff were nice.

Everything was fine besides the Internet. I thought the place was clean and didn't find much wrong with it.

Rooms are small and basic. There aren't enough showers, expect a wait. Staff are friendly and helpful, but reception was not manned all the time (staff shortages). Otherwise great place to stay. This place is mainly for adults, people travelling or working in London. I met someone who had been there a couple of months

• 16th Sep 2015
  • Wales

1/5 stars. Staff pretended the huge amount of black mould in the only shower is new despite reviews saying so for months. Location is pretty far from most attractions. Only one working shower for the entire building. Employees shrug when you point out that the dorm door doesn't close properly or often won't lock. Dorm lights don't work. Washrooms have no sink. Pub below has REALLY loud 90's club music until 2am. Their 4hr laundry took 24hrs. Tiny kitchen, no space for food or cooking. Avoid here

(-) Checking in: Cold humored man, uninterested, handeling things in a rush. WiFi connection does not reach the 3th floor. Showering, one person at a time on every floor. A few toilets were jammed, stuffed with paper. No light on te 3th floor. Party in the pub makes it hard to catch sleep in the middle of the night. Right next to busy, very noisy street.

great hostel for price paid, brilliant breakfast, would defiantly stay here again if i have somthing in the area

The hostel is in a great location. Some of the staff were very helpful, some were a little rude. Breakfast was a little disappointing. The location beats the bad, though!

Room was clean and ok, quite noisy from outside, but its London, isnt it. Location is alright, but the kitchen was full all the time. I guess quite small for this amount of people. I like the breakfast, which they served in the pub. It was ok, we stayed one night.