Dover Castle Hostel and Bar Reviews

6a Great Dover Street, London, England

Good for the price. Bar down stairs is great on student night. Bathrooms were pretty basic but to be expected for the price. Staff were really helpful and always had access to the luggage room.

If it rains its licks at the reception erea and you can go in and out to the luggage room without any security check.

I really liked this hostel. The bathroom facilities left something to be desired, but I wouldn't say it's a reason to avoid the place. Probably the comfiest hostel mattress I've ever had. Tube station a half block away. Around the corner is a little bodega with little snacks, bottles of water, and such. The guy who runs it will cheat you without remorse.

I'm fairly used to pretty dumpy hostels but this was one of the worst. No lockers in rooms. We had to move every morning despite booking all nights together, this meant dragging our backpacks up and down 4 sets of stairs every morning. Wifi didn't work very well or at all in some rooms. One lousy shower on the floor that turns off every thirty seconds. Plug situation was less than desirable. And frankly staff was rude. However price was decent for the area and location was pretty good.

Staff was great! For the price, it was kind of basic, but there was wifi, air conditioning, and free breakfast- so it could have been worse. Nice and close to the metro, but far away from attraction The showers could definitely have been cleaner.

Perfect price, good location and helful staff!

• 6th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

Everything was good. It was super clean. The only bad things are that the toilet is really small, and there is no place to hang your stuff while you are showering. Also the matresses are too old...

• 1st May 2015
  • Mexico

Would definitely recommend this hostel. Stone's throw from Borough Station and very comfortable beds. Selected cheap drinks for guests at £2.70 each in downstairs bar as well as free breakfast in the morning. A steal at £12 a night. If coming to London again I'd look no further.

I wasn't impressed with this hostel. The staff was not friendly or helpful with questions I had. Cleanliness was terrible. My "clean" sheets had stains on them, one appearing to be blood. The bathroom's were about as good as I could have hoped for. On my floor were three rooms and between all of these rooms that had multiple people in them (mine had 12) there was one shower available. The only common room area was the bar, which was open until 02:00 making sleeping difficult. Don't stay here!

The cleaning staff was incredibly rude. I got yelled at for taking a ten minute (not even) shower. It would be easier to shower quickly if I could turn on the water one time and it stays on instead of having to press the button every ten seconds.

the room door is very hard to close, bed rack is broken, kitchen always full of people and wifi can't use in bedroom. the ratio of bathroom is too less for each floor.

I'll use this place again. London is soooo expensive, and this place is much better than my scoring makes it look.

• 8th Apr 2015

Only could showers...and One or two staff members were gossiping about guests. However, most of the straff was really nice and happy to help with nearly all request. A good place to stay if you're on budget but still be located close to the centre of the City.

• 7th Apr 2015

Worst shower in a hostel yet. Not the most comfy beds. Night staff were nice and friendly, but morning were not at all. Atmosphere wasnt the best, more loud and abnoxious then social. That said, cheap and central enough, and really appreciated being able to leave bag next day.

This is my second time here and it has improved, the guy at the desk was one of the friendliest I've encountered at a hostel and the room allocated was one of the (comparatively) largest i've seen at a hostel, as was the bed, which was also allocated. Lockers were only £1, the breakfast was basic and served in the bar downstairs, which is large but not comfortable. The only downside is the noise from the bar downstairs throughout the night but that isn't the hostels fault.

The hostel is clean and the staff is very helpful, the only thing that we found disturbing is the shower situations, at the third floor there isn't hot water in them, and in every case they are very small and unconfortable. The toilettes are very clean but there are only a few and very small. But eventually, seen the price and the position of the hostel, I'm very happy of my choice.

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We had a great stay at Dover Castle. The room was clean and spacious. We were on the first floor and therefore could hear the music from the pub until they turned it off at 2 am, but that was something we were aware of if you book a hostel over a bar and it didn't disturb us. One toilet and two showers on our floor which was totally alright as there were only two rooms. The kitchen looked really nice too although we always ate out. The location was absolutely great! We would come here again!

• 12th Feb 2015

The place is nice. If you have a lot of euros and you want to convert them to pounds they do it there for a good rate too. Going up to the 3rd floor old be a hassle just make a note of that!

• 6th Feb 2015

was a good place to stay,seems to attract honesty,never had any fears of stealing,even food .could do with more showers!!

the black guy at the reception is kind of rude with a weird ego. he made me wait for about half an hour and checked-in 3 girls before me. the rest is ok, a typical average hostel.