Downtown River Hostel Reviews

San Martin 2, San Sebastian, Spain

It really was a poor experience. I paid for a room with 4 beds, and the guy in the reception just told me that the room was closed and i had to sleep in a 8 bed room. I accepted beacause i was really tired just to find that the blanket were wet. The lock in the door doesn't work and when i was ready to leave the hostel in the morning, there's no people in reception. It's not a place to recommend.

I had an amazing experience at downtown river hostel. That staff are so friendly and helpful! Especially Mario. He makes a delicious paella. He even took a group of us to some great bar/discos and a hike in San Pedro. This is probably the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Very clean with a great kitchen. The common area is basically the kitchen which turned out to be great to meet lots of travelers. Each bed has it's own reading light and outlet. If you're in San Sebastián you MUST stay here.

Great hostel! Had fun activities planned, everyone was very nice. Great location right next to the old part of town.

• 15th May 2015

This was easily one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. It's possible it was just the mix of people while i was there, but the staff were amazing too. Pintxos pote or pub crawls most nights of the week, guided hikes, very central. I will 100% be back here!

• 14th May 2015
  • Scotland

Helpful and friendly staff, lockers in dorms, sociable kitchen area for meeting other guests. Enjoyed my stay and met some good people. Mattresses and pillows not that comfortable but having electric sockets for each bed was useful.

Great hostel! Mario was awesome! Cooked us up paella and made us sangria, he organised some cool activities for us too. Hostel could do with a couches area for people to hang out in. Kitchen is quite small and closes at 11pm.

Everything is amazing except location. It is really nice hostel. Here is quite far from the beach. But I enjoy my day with bicycle. So I could go around many places in city. If you want to relax, here is paradise for you. I recommend this hostel for someone who already enjoyed enough on the beach. You can feel quite different atmosphere in San Sebastian. If I come to San Sebastian again, I will stay here again for one night. If you have a car here is the place you want to stay. Nice staff!!!

Hostel is ideally located in the shopping district and is a short walk from both beaches. Hostel is small and intimate and ideal for surfers and people who want to use it as a base to see the city. The staff were very helpful and recommended some very good local restaurants, things to do and places to visit. There is no lounge area in the hostel and the kitchen small and can be crowded if all guests are in it at the same time.

My experiencia in this hostel was fantastic, mostly due to the fabulous staff- they were so friendly, helpful and accomadating- Mario lead and organized some great events for us like, hiking mount Ulia, awesome paella and pasta dinners in the hostel and some fun nights and places to go out :). The atmosphere and location were really great and I would absolutely stay here again. Thanks for everything!

No comfortable common area available. You have to sit in the kitchen on a stool or a foam square. The hostel felt clinical and not really welcoming. Had a lot of trouble with the wifi also. Other than that all the facilities provided are great and they put on some good dinners.

Downtown River was a decent place to spend one night but I wouldn't have chosen it for a much longer stay. A very small communal area didn't encourage the guests to mix. Showers were strangely designed and it was very hard to keep clothes dry when showering. Staff were friendly and helpful but not very knowledgeable.

Good hostel with very friendly stuff willing to help you. About the negatives, the hostel does not provide breakfast and bed sheets, you sleep on the mattress, so bring with you at least one sheet.

Close to the beach and they had a pup crawl and made food for everyone. Bed was pretty bad though

Really helpful staff, good, clean facilities and not too far from everything. My only complaints would be that the hostel wasn't heated very well and the beds were a little bit uncomfortable. But I enjoyed my stay here!

Had a lot of fun there and met some great people in the common area. It's a little way from the old part of town where the bars are, but it's still nice and my room had a window overlooking the street which was nice. The staff are great and helpful. The place could do with a printer. The bathroom facilities are shared but cleaned each day so it's fine.

We absolutely loved our stay at Down Town hostel. We spent a whole week in San Sebastian in this hostel and it was just the best experience.not many people now in winter The staff are friendly and always willing to help. As it isn’t a huge hostel it was easy to make friends and everyone was so welcoming. This was the best hostel I stayed in throughout Europe. I would have been happy to stay another week. Thank you Carlitos and the staff

Really good staff, very good location and great beds. Weren't many people staying but it was the middle of winter. Only common area is the relatively small kitchen

Nice stay and really nice staff. Everyone but the night employee spoke English well. All the employees gave us maps and accurately pointed out where to eat, where to go out, and even where to buy alcohol late at night. Not a lot of guests but it was a really nice stay and we met some great people. Close to one of the beaches and about a 5-10 minute walk to downtown where the nightlife was.

I stayed at this hostel for just a day but I could get a good rest. However, it should be better that each shower box has a lock to shut inside and a tall rack to place clothes.

Thank you very much for your comment,we have repaired all locks showers along with it we put some clothes hangers in each shower.kind regards DOWNTOWN'S STAFF.

I really enjoyed my stay here thanks to Mauro!

• 28th Dec 2014