Downtown Washington Hostel Reviews

506 H Street NE, Washington DC, USA

The staff is really friendly. Some others complain about the lack of bathroom, but I found it OK - they have 5 - 6 around the building for 50 people. As long as you don't try to shower during the rush hour, it should be fine. The only complaint I have is about the direction from Union Station. I arrived at Union Station at around 10pm and walked along a few people-less streets before I reached the hostel. It is a nice walk, but probably not one new to the city would want to take at night.

• Hong Kong

Fine well-managed hostel very convenient to Union Station and Capitol Hill. Quiet respectful atmosphere. Good access to public trans and a supermarket a few doors down. What more could you want except space and privacy and this IS a hostel after all.

• 31st Mar 2014

It would be better if we were allowed to wear shoes or slippers inside the hostel. The facilities in the kitchen are pretty convenient for customers.

• China

A nice location, with a staff, that I would have loved to stay around for longer. If you want to party, this is the hostel-to-be. I can totally recommend it.

they make a lot of fuzz about nothing really special - some rules are unnecessary and they just take themselves too seriously.

A great welcome and a comfortable stay. The kitchen is great, the living room a little small if lots of people want to use it. The hostel's well located for Union station, which was great for me, and bars, restaurants and a supermarket. The price was cheap, though knocking off the hostel world 10% seemed to be a bit hit and miss. Great stay overall.

Really good hostel, with very nice staff. Personal and warm atmosphere. I Will definitly come back.

• 23rd Mar 2014
  • Sweden

No security at the front door, I was able to walk in off the street late at night. I was told to take my shoes off and leave them in the hallway (what?), and was shown to the tiny, cramped room (7 beds, not enough room for 2 people to be out of bed at once). The bedroom door did not lock, and there were no locks on the lockers in the room. There was no sound resistance, so I could hear the drunken 3am kitchen conversation word for word as I was trying to get to sleep. Unpleasant and unsafe.

• 21st Mar 2014

Great location: just a 5 minute walk from union station! They organise events often like the pubcrawl every Friday. Great value!

Downtown Washington Hostel is an excellent place to stay during your visit. Not only can you walk to most of the Washington attractions, the staff is really nice and forthcoming. They take their time explaining the rules and pointing out some of Washington's best places. On top of that, the beds are soft and you get free coffee! The atmosphere is relaxed and homy. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends.

• 12th Mar 2014
  • Belgium

It's one of the best hostels I've ever been. Staff makes you feel at home every time. As you have to take off your shoes, everything is cleaner than at home!

Great stuff, great hostel! Thanks!

I keep coming back to this hostel for a reason. The staff is fantastic and the location is convenient.

• 5th Mar 2014

★★★★★ Amazing bunch of friendly, helpful and funny staff working here. The location is perfect very close to the bus/train station and a good distance from all the tourist places. The hostel is very clean, safe and run by rules that makes the place work very well for everyone. There's a different fun event every night run by the hostel staff. I had a really good time.

Very good atmosphere with staffs organised themed activities every night. However the toilets are not clean enough but I will definitely come back again.

• 1st Mar 2014

Now it's almost a week sens I left and I miss it so much! The People, the atmosphere, the staff! Everything just worked out so great! A big Thanks to all the staff members that did my time in this hostel to the best hostel experience in 6 months traveling!! Big thanks from "blond jesus"

• 26th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

Had a nice stay at Downtown hostel. You´re right in the center of DC, nice staff, warm atmosphere.

Thanks to all the staff for a great stay at the Downtown Hostel! It really feels like a 'home from home'. The staff were really welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The hostel has all of the facilities that you could need, with a great friendly atmosphere. The area is really handy for walking to The Mall and nearby the hostel there are restaurants bars and a great supermarket for supplies. A mirror in the room would have been useful :-), overall a great place to stay.

One of the best hostels weve stayed in! staff were great, beds were comfortable and the location was fantastic too. I recommend the bar crawl on Fridays

• 21st Feb 2014

Phenomenal hostel. I have stayed in many in my travels and this was one of the best. Great staff, they make it like home, clean, safe, affordable and in a good location. Theres not much more you can ask from a hostel. I recommend this hostel 100%. Safe travels amigos.

• 18th Feb 2014