Downtown Washington Hostel Reviews

We had a good time in the hostel. People were great, location really handy. The only thing that needs improvement is bathrooms: definitely not enough for the amount of people that can be hosted.

When I arrived Downtown Washington Hostel staff was waching tv and not interested with me. The Old guy was DRUNK I think so he was the Manager. I stayed differrent hostels at Washington DC but this one was really bad experiences. Staff was DRUNK. Also I had to change my room because of BEDBUGS. I met with BEDBUGS in Downtown Washington Hostel. Me and my room mate informed management but he was angry to us. Later we change our room and next morning I quit the Hostel. MANAGEMENT WAS VERY BAD.

• 21st Nov 2013
  • Turkey

Good place near Union Station where connections with the DC area abound. There policy of kicking you out between 11 and 3 is rather unfriendly. I guess it is because of low security at that time while the staff cleans, which they do well. No complaints but one: if you are there for a longer period than two days, pancakes get tiresome quickly.

Most staff except for 1 were generally friendly and knowledgeable and were willing to share and explain how things were like in DC. They also have pasta night on Sunday but which I unfortunately missed.

Very close to Union Station ( 10 mins walking) ,near the grocery stores,free pancake for breakfast.The staff is very nice,he gave me an advice to the places.The shared bathrooms are not really clean.

I had a good time at Downtown Washington Hostel. The free pancake breakfasts were a plus and the neighborhood is just close enough to the highlights in DC to enjoy the walks (though making it the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery can take a while). The hostel itself had a standard security setup with a number pad requiring a code. The number of bathrooms is manageable, but just a little on the tight side so you do have to wait a few minutes at night if you plan on showering.

• 15th Nov 2013

Prime location, 10 minutes walk from Union Station. Staff was very friendly, cooperative, and good guide for place to visit and dine in the city. Roommates and other guests were also friendly. Washrooms and Kitchen were clean and there was good WiFi Service. Overall I enjoyed my stay there.

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Pakistan

Great hostel, you really feel like home and the staff are over friendly, it is in a really good location and you can have a really good time here! Thanks to Darnell, great guy, Sarah, AJ, Levi, Nadia and the rest of the guys.

too many beds for the space. some beds have no plug ins to charge your phone or anything like that, lousy common area, too many rules, small kitchen, not enough bathrooms for the capacity. at least some of the staff were cool

Very nice hostel and well managed, well located and clean. Price/Quality = Good!

The 8 bed dorm is far too small for that many beds. The first night all of the toilets weren't working (there aren't enough to begin with anyway) the advertised pub crawl never happened and whilst we were waiting we were kicked out of the kitchen at 10pm for talking. I think staff should wait until guests are finished cooking before using the kitchen, it is such a small space. I have never felt less comfortable in a hostel, it felt like I constantly had to bow down to the rules instead of relax.

• 6th Nov 2013

It was Choice!

Staff that worked there were great. Excellent wifi connection. Nadia if Sexy

Value for money and within walking distance to the mall strip and union station. Overall pleasant stay, with a couple of oddities, the main being that you have to leave your shoes at the front desk at all times.

Just one bathroom on each floor made it rather complicated to find a place to shower/ go to the toilet or brush the teeth because there was only one bathroom on a floor. A shared wash-bowl would have been nice for tooth brushing and washing the face. The owner was trying to be friendly but there was a feeling of "too many rules" (no food/ no drinks, no shoes, no talking after 10pm,..) which made it somehow uncomfortable. The WiFi was bad. Nice building, great pancakes and good map+information.

This was a really nice find. I didn't know what to expect and had stayed at one other hostel in DC for a short night between flights. We arrived late but had a really warm welcome regardless. The guests that were there were also friendly and happy and kind. Beats the pants off of other big name hotels and motels that we stayed at during the rest of our travels. Loved it! The atmosphere was charming, the location was great, and the hospitality was endless. Thanks again!

• 28th Oct 2013

It is good hostel.

Great location very close to the bus terminal at Union Station and on a bus route to all the tourist sites. Beds are very comfortable although the bedroom itself can get a little hot. The owner - AJ - and the other younger staff were super friendly and very happy to chat about things to do etc. There is a nice lounge area which is very social. My only complaint is that the ground floor room can get a bit noisy in the morning as it is close to the kitchen.(All other rooms are on the upper floors)

It is an okay place to stay - after all it is a hostel and after reading negative reviews, I was worried but arriving there and staying there, it was not so bad after all. Worthwhile for a budget traveler who does not stay in the room all day. Just negatives are: 1) it was TOO HOT! The heater was set VERY HIGH, it sure felt like it was set to 80's or something but it was hot! 2) hard water, it was very rusty so those who dyed blondes don't go panic to find your hair turning orange after shower!

• 25th Oct 2013

The atmosphere was great! I felt confortable and everybody was really friendly and the staff helpful. I would just add more bathrooms! :S But the rest was as expected. I recommend it!

• 25th Oct 2013