Downtown Washington Hostel Reviews

506 H Street NE, Washington DC, USA

Not enough restroom, no toilet outside the bathroom, not very clean, no heater in the room, lockers were too small and the pancake machine was broken and there wasn't anything else for breakfast.

• 16th Dec 2013

I loved the homey atmosphere and the staff works very hard to make sure that everyone is having a good time. It was very clean and most everyone was respectful of everyone else's property and space. My only qualm is that it's hard to find a bathroom in the mornings, but it would be that way in most hostels. And it was very easy to meet people! I made many new friends over dinner or in the common room.

• 10th Dec 2013

Great location, decent price. Only thing we didnt like was lack of toilets and lack of locks on bedroom doors.. Came back to our door wide open!? When nobody needed to go in as we had it to ourselves. Maid also came into the room more than she needed to. Security into building good. DC is walkable so great location... Getting a restroom with a toilet in it proved annoying. Overall a positive stay though!!

I've stayed there just a night but the staff is really nice, clean, good location. I definitely recommend it.

• 2nd Dec 2013

Very cozy and nice for the price. The facilities were okay but I think there should be more bathrooms. The hostel would be nice if the owner knew better his staff. One of the guys was really annoying. He didn't stop talking and hit on a lot of female friends of mine. That made them feel really uneasy. Another employee got really mad for bullshit and screamed with aNother friend of mine. But the hawaiian and the californian guys were really nice with us. I'm not sure if I recommend it though.

• 27th Nov 2013

The location of the hostel is good, but there are many rules that are not legal in it when you want a place to feel at home: how not to ride a shoe inside the hostel and not make noise between 10 pm to 10 am. There are bathrooms that do not have hot water and the room is very warm, very much.

• 26th Nov 2013

The hostel itself is in a good location for walking to the different sites, however there is public transport nearby too. The staff and people there were very pleasant to be around, I even found a new brother from another mother (Darnell). I was there during the day while they were cleaning and they did a good job. My only complaints are that I didn't spend much time in DC, but I spent some of it having to look around to do laundry. And the room was too hot the first night. But it was a good.

• 25th Nov 2013

We had a good time in the hostel. People were great, location really handy. The only thing that needs improvement is bathrooms: definitely not enough for the amount of people that can be hosted.

When I arrived Downtown Washington Hostel staff was waching tv and not interested with me. The Old guy was DRUNK I think so he was the Manager. I stayed differrent hostels at Washington DC but this one was really bad experiences. Staff was DRUNK. Also I had to change my room because of BEDBUGS. I met with BEDBUGS in Downtown Washington Hostel. Me and my room mate informed management but he was angry to us. Later we change our room and next morning I quit the Hostel. MANAGEMENT WAS VERY BAD.

• 21st Nov 2013
  • Turkey

Good place near Union Station where connections with the DC area abound. There policy of kicking you out between 11 and 3 is rather unfriendly. I guess it is because of low security at that time while the staff cleans, which they do well. No complaints but one: if you are there for a longer period than two days, pancakes get tiresome quickly.

Most staff except for 1 were generally friendly and knowledgeable and were willing to share and explain how things were like in DC. They also have pasta night on Sunday but which I unfortunately missed.

Very close to Union Station ( 10 mins walking) ,near the grocery stores,free pancake for breakfast.The staff is very nice,he gave me an advice to the places.The shared bathrooms are not really clean.

I had a good time at Downtown Washington Hostel. The free pancake breakfasts were a plus and the neighborhood is just close enough to the highlights in DC to enjoy the walks (though making it the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery can take a while). The hostel itself had a standard security setup with a number pad requiring a code. The number of bathrooms is manageable, but just a little on the tight side so you do have to wait a few minutes at night if you plan on showering.

• 15th Nov 2013

Prime location, 10 minutes walk from Union Station. Staff was very friendly, cooperative, and good guide for place to visit and dine in the city. Roommates and other guests were also friendly. Washrooms and Kitchen were clean and there was good WiFi Service. Overall I enjoyed my stay there.

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Pakistan

Great hostel, you really feel like home and the staff are over friendly, it is in a really good location and you can have a really good time here! Thanks to Darnell, great guy, Sarah, AJ, Levi, Nadia and the rest of the guys.

too many beds for the space. some beds have no plug ins to charge your phone or anything like that, lousy common area, too many rules, small kitchen, not enough bathrooms for the capacity. at least some of the staff were cool

Very nice hostel and well managed, well located and clean. Price/Quality = Good!

The 8 bed dorm is far too small for that many beds. The first night all of the toilets weren't working (there aren't enough to begin with anyway) the advertised pub crawl never happened and whilst we were waiting we were kicked out of the kitchen at 10pm for talking. I think staff should wait until guests are finished cooking before using the kitchen, it is such a small space. I have never felt less comfortable in a hostel, it felt like I constantly had to bow down to the rules instead of relax.

• 6th Nov 2013