Downtown Washington Hostel Reviews

506 H Street NE, Washington DC, USA

I paid $50 for a 2 person mixed dorm but it was worst than what I would expect from a 4-person bedroom (HI Hostelling at Metro Centre) - the room was like a prison, just a bunk bed and nothing else. The aircon gives us a very bad musky smell too. Limited toilet and rooms has no locks. Lockers are small. It's not value for money. Other than that, the staff are friendly and helpful.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

I have been coming to this hostel for several years because of it's great location and sturdy beds! Since I last visited they changed the lounge and kitchen areas and they look great!!! The staff member, Caroline, was also very helpful and nice. Thanks for a great visit!!!

Good location - ignore the posted directions from Union Station though. All you need is to get to the buses and ask for H Street, then go across the bridge. Keep walking till you see the pizza parlor. Excellent value, quiet neighbourhood, clean facilities, comfy beds. Not much else you can ask for in a hostel.

Great atmosphere!

Wow Amazing and incredible staff! Friendly and helpful! Great location! Great environment! Great atmosphere!! Felt like a home away from home! Would stay here again in a heart beat!!! Loved every minute! Thank you!

• 17th Jul 2014

This hostel was clean and nice. Very close to Union Station which is a bonus if you get to/leave DC via the bus. I'd stay there again.

Had a great time downtown. There are surely things to improve while the building need some maintenance but the staff is great and the atmosphere is pretty laid back. Nice area on walkable distance of the mall.

My stay started out with me being very offended by the way the woman by the counter talked to me. she talked to me very rudely and like I was a kid! Her attitude seemed very artificial. I wanted to laugh! I'm 26 years old and usually share a kitchen, bath and toilets with 7 other people and live with 57 people - believe me; I know how to behave! She ought to behave from her heart or else; stay away from guests. The rest of the staff were very nice and kind and 'saved' my stay there.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

I had a really nice time in this Hostel! The staff is so friendly and the bed is really comfortable! just try out!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Hungary

Excellent staff. I liked this hostel because they did some activities so we could enjoy our stay. Unfortunately, I was not there for the pubcrawl :( I'll comeback for sure, Washington has activities for 10days vacation !

• 1st Jul 2014

It was so kind and friendly!! I would definitely go back if I was ever in Washington again. Honestly cannot think of a single fault. Really good Hostelworld.com profile. Not lacking any information. At the hostel itself was so nice and welcoming. Had lots of information about things going on and also ran events within the hostel. Can't rate highly enough if it.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

The place is fab, easy to get to, 5mins walk from Union Station. Best thing about this place though, are the staff! Bunch of great fun people, don't miss out.

Nice place to stay with best group of staff 10 minutes in the door and you know Washington like a ten year local

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at! The atmosphere is great, the staff is really friendly and eager to help and the whole experience was just wonderful. The H street neighborhood is really nice, with a great grocery store around the corner, lots of bars and nice cafes and some good restaurants. The hostel is very close to the metro at Union Station, and a short walk to the Congress or Eastern Market! Totally recommend it and will come back every time I have the chance!

Their booking program encounter a glitch when I was booking. So when I showed up they didn't have my reservation. I booked 2 nights, but only stayed 1 since they were full. Otherwise strong WiFi.

Definitely a hostel for someone who is concerned about budget. Nothing too bad but nothing great to say either, except that it's the cheapest place to stay. Mom and daughter run the place and were yelling at each other when I arrived, which was a little unprofessional... Otherwise staff was great!

i stayed in this hostel earlier in my trip and i came back which should be enough to let everyone know it does what it says on the tin.

1.location is good. nearby union station(if you take bus to DC and you prefer walking to the hostel,it will be 15-20mins walking) 2.staffs are nice(especially Jason,who has Italian origin,good look'in,warm heart) 3.there are restaurants and little shops nearby,it is convenient for travelers. 4.but the sign of "Downtown Washing"is so tiny,I almost miss it if I never check the number on the door.

Good hostel with mercifully cool rooms on hot DC nights. Clean, good proximity to Union Station and walking distance (15-20mins) to the main sights. Breakfast across the road in the Ethiopian cafe is reasonably priced and filling, plus the coffee there is great!

It has very good location and absolutely velue for money. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. I totally liked it, except, may be that there were no blankets provided and the air conditioner was switched on too hard - cought a cold by the morning.

• 3rd Jun 2014