Dreamtime Travellers Rest Reviews

4 Terminus Street, Cairns, Australia

The room and facilities were fantastic - clean, spacious and homely. The internet and computers were free to use, which was great too. The only thing that let it down was that the rooms over-look the social area and pool table, which were very loud, so a good night's sleep was not really possible.

I love this hostel. The dorms are lovely, particularly the ones with the stained-glass windows. Nice to go out in town and then recover in a chilled environment the next day. Big fan of the free tea and milk!

The staff was really friendly, Chris was an amazing help during my time in Cairns. I wouldn't recommend this place because they nickel and dime you for every little thing. Air conditioning should be free if you're going to have it at all, it was $1 for only 3 hours at a time. Also, the internet was a complete ripoff $2 for each hour. The other hostels in Cairns have daily rates for internet. It is also a pretty decent walk to the pier, considering all the other hostels are much closer.

Excellent staff, nice rooms, good matras! Booked a couple of extra nights since I really enjoyed my stay. Other people have said that the location isn't that central, and that's true. But it's not that hard to actually walk to e.g. the Lagoon. The name says Travelers Rest, and this definitely is a good place if you want your rest.

Loved my stay at dream time, great relaxed "Byron bay" feel atmosphere. Very cosy and will stay again if we came to cairns again :-)

The hostel was a very relaxed environment, very homely and the staff were helpful and definitely contributed to our good stay here. There are a few kitchens so people aren't pushed for space and a shopping centre just over the road. I would definitely recommend this place for the more chilled out traveller wanting the experience of cairns and if you wanted the club scene the night life isn't sto far away.

We had a great time at dream time. It's a very relaxed hostel, peaceful and quiet at night, but still with lots to do and very easy to meet other travellers if you want. We cannot speak highly enough about the Manager Chris! He helped us with every query, and was polite, helpful and smiling all the time. We hope the owners of Dreamtime know how lucky they are to have him, he adds serious value to the hostel and made a good stay awesome!

But it doesn't offer hair drier which is important to me.

• 13th Feb 2014
  • China

Great atmosphere& friendly staff & guests. Everyone very helpful & mix of ages . Lovely & thanks Marg & Jim

• 4th Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Too much insects inside of the room. And I've got bitten on bed every night when I was sleeping.

Nice clean facilities, helpful staff. Everything in Cairns is walking distance from everything else, so even though it's slightly outside of the main part of town everything you'd ever want to go to is still within a ten minute walk. No lockers, but all rooms require keys to open them. I would definitely stay there again if I go back to Cairns.

Absolutely loved that hostel.super friendly staff. Soooo many bathrooms. Felt straight away like home. Beautiful interior. One of the best hostels ive been to.

I booked this hostel as a stopover for my diving trip with deep sea divers den. The hostel was located perfectly as the dive centre was just down the road. The staff were extremely helpful and were able to advise good local places to eat. They were also able to provide me with an underwater camera which was cheaper to hire than it was on the boat on the reef. The hostel had a relaxed, friendly, but safe atmosphere. I would highly recommend.

Good staff. Everything was clean. A bit far away from the esplanade (the centre of the fun in "Cairns). Very quite hostel, perfect for a relax-holiday.

Very quirky, great location if you are looking for somewhere a little quieter but easy to get to. Lovely homely feel.

Thank you for arranging the Christmas dinner, very good! Helpful staff during the stay :)

Very good hostel near train station. Staff was helpful. Since they have their own travel agency you can't really get advices on how to move for free in the area...everything goes through tours... Good free bbq and ok kitchen. Room clean and good shower.

I stayed in a 3 bed room during the 1st week of December & the room was so humid + hot. Difficult to sleep at night - fans were loud & air conditioning is coin operated. The rooms are close in proximity to kitchen and toilet, so throughout the night you can hear doors closing + opening. For my last night we had a group of tourist who stayed on our level - they decided to cook up a storm at 530am in the morning! The staff were extremely helpful and friend, toilet and kitchen were cleaned daily.

• 30th Nov 2013

Stay was ok here, we paid quite a bit for our room and then to find you had to pay for aircon on top of that and you had to pay for wi-fi also. Staff were nice and accommodating.

The staff is extremely friendly and provides a good source of entertainment during the evening. The rooms and facilities are ok, woke up to a larger lizard on the wall our last morning. The kitchen was free of clutter but not that clean, fridge was packed. Toilets and showers were ok- definitely recommend a pair of sandals when taking a shower. If you're looking for a friendly place to stay and perhaps meet other backpackers this is a good place, if you're looking for luxurious- not so much.