Drifter Jack's Hostel Reviews

2602 Guadalupe St., Austin, USA

It was awesome.

• 13th Feb 2015

Met some friends, saw some blues, had a great time

• 3rd Feb 2015

It's a nice hostel and not far from center. but it can be hard to take a shower, one bathroom shared with 2 dorms (12 people) is a challenge.

Nice little hostel. Close to the university and lot of small eateries. Right on the capital metro route. I loved the common room. Plenty of vibes. Unlike other hostels I 've seen in the US, the crowd is young. I 'd recommend this to a friend.

The staff were especially caring, kind and helpful. Thank you!

• 30th Dec 2014

Good , a few bars around, not much parking. Would return.

- Hostel really needs a proper stove and element for cooking in the kitchen. - Its weird having to share your bathroom between two rooms, as you have to remember to lock both doors every time. However the staff are very good if you need to find a vacant bathroom they will help. -There was a slight confusion with rooms on my second night, however the staff were really good at fixing it up very quickly and ensuring no one lost out. - get a free drink each night at the local pub!!

Each group of two rooms shares a common bathroom, so sometimes there is too high a demand, but there is a social friendly ambiance so I didn't mind. There's a comfortable common living room as well as the kitchen for sharing stories and getting to know fellow travelers.

Shower pressure is terrible. No stove in kitchen. Breakfast offerings were a joke. Dirty kitchen. I would NOT stay there again. I have stayed in over 20 hostels in US and Canada and this is the first hostel that I would not recommend. "FREE" parking is hard yo get.

Drifer Jack's was my first hostel experience and it has set an incredibly high bar for all other hostels I may stay. From the moment I stepped through their quaint entrance I was greeted by the most friendly staff a person could ask for. I was given travel advice, sites to see, and my inquisitive nature was more than satiated as every person who worked there (include the really cool owner) were open to sitting down with me and sharing a drink while sharing stories. Best hostel in Austin!

• 3rd Dec 2014

Just dislike the connected restroom to two room and its small so you hear everything noise. but overall its very awesome and the Staff are very Epic! :)

Great location, with friendly atmosphere and staff. Great vibe and loved the art all over the rooms and common areas. Rooms were decent but very cramped. Lockers were tricky to access (stacked vertically so top and bottom ones hard to get to) and there was not really enough space in the room for everyone's stuff. Also a lot of things that seemed to have been left behind by people taking up space in the room. Floors and kitchen area could have been cleaner.

This is a great little hostel. Close to a giving street that borders the University, so lots of students around to meet. Staff and owner were really nice and chilled out. Nice and close to the bus that will take you to downtown and the airport. Highly recommended!

• 28th Nov 2014

Good hostel, my second time there. The staff were all pretty cool and friendly.

Everything was great, my only recommendation is that there be more than one plug in the room.

It was an awesome spot to stay! Location is pretty good and the staff is fantastic! The only thing I wasn't happy about was the odd smell in the common room (old and well used furniture smell). It needs a bit of freshening up (febreeze and open windows) and this spot will be perfect!

• 14th Nov 2014
  • India

Pretty decent hostel. A little expensive but good staff and atmosphere. No major concerns.

Drifter Jack's is a really good hostel. It's a little small and basic but if you want awesome people and really great time then stay here!! It's a small, everybody becomes family in a couple of days style hostel. It has fast, reliable wifi, comfortable beds and a decent enough kitchen. And although you do share bathrooms, you get to shower alone which makes a nice change from big hostel bathrooms. This was one of my favourite hostels in over 6 months of travelling (US

Loved the atmosphere and the staff, who couldn't do enough to make sure everyone had a great time and the hostel was kept clean. The bed was the comfiest of any I've slept in while in the US! Safe area near to the university campus, and it's only a 30 min walk downtown (buses also go from nearby). Only gripes would be that the shared bathrooms get congested in the mornings and the cooking facilities are very basic, but I'd recommend this unique and sociable hostel for sure.

Was the most expensive place I have ever stayed. And not worth the money. Maybe because it was over an "event" weekend in the city of Austin, but either way I paid way too much for what I got. Also the pillow case had holes in it, and the bed frame moved and squeaked every time someone moved. The location was pretty good. Close to restaurants, gas station, etc. And Jack the owner is very nice.

• 31st Oct 2014