Drifter Jack's Hostel Reviews

2602 Guadalupe St., Austin, USA

I came to Austin for vacation with a friend, we got the 6 beds mixed dorm, we had a great stay. Staff is nice, helpful and it's easy to meet a lot of people thanks to the common room. You experience the typical hostel atmosphere, which I personally love. The only flaws (for us) were the not-so-great choice of food for bf (you can always buy your stuff and use the fridge) and the fact that we had to share the bathroom.But if you choose to stay in an hostel you kinda know you have to share

• 3rd May 2014

Hostel in a great location in the College district with no shortage of bars in the area. Hostel staff were extremely nice and would often have a few drinks with you at night which made it feel like a real community atmosphere. Would have perhaps liked a working television with cable to enjoy during downtime but apart from that I have no complaints!

I loved this place! I came with my friend for 1 night before the Austin Psych Fest and everything was perfect ! The beds are very comfortable, the decoration is amazing and the atmosphere is very friendly ! Plus the staff is very helpful! The price is a very great deal! I'll come back for sure!

Had a great time at drifter Jack's. When we arrived the aussie guy at reception was brutally hungover so I generally take that as a good sign. Met some really cool people especially americans travelling from interstate. We had a car so didn't have to worry about public transport. There's not that many rooms so we had to change rooms 3 nights in a row as we booked late.

Awesome staff, very helpful & laid back. Xtra long reception hrs made it easy to check in & out, and get q's answered. LOVED that the rooms have refrigerators! It's a really nice feature that I've never seen in a hostel. Also, instead of having 1 bathroom shared w/all, each room just has to share w/one other room :) Hard to judge atmosphere since I wasn't there much, but always felt safe despite there not being any real "security." One word of caution: Very loud neighborhood on Fri/Sat night.

It was a great deal. They need to state that they're above a Thai restaurant as it's hard to find. They have a nice little patio outside. Only complaint was it was very warm inside.

• 18th Apr 2014

Really clean hostel! Located at the north end of the UT campus about 2 miles from 6th street, 3 miles from Rainey Street, 3 miles from east 6th and 4 from SoCo. There is a bus stop just outside the hostel and the nearest b-cycle station is 3 blocks. My dorm of six shared a jack and Jill shower with another dorm of 6. Each room had a mini fridge. Would definitely stay here again.

Good location, good staff. Small outside area for socializing, as well as a small common room which includes a guitar and games. Rooms are pretty good and spacious. I good place to hang out as well as getting your head down for the night. Big lockers, great for large backpacks.

Really enjoyed our stay here. The staff were supremely friendly, very helpful and always available. Clean beds, sheets, bathrooms - although cracking a window in the dorms every now and then would help and the limited bathrooms are a bit restrictive. Excellent common areas - great for meeting and hanging out with fellow travellers. Great out-of-city location, bit of a pain getting downtown at night.

it was all great, nice people the staff, clean place, comfortable beds cozy bathroom would return/10

We had a 4 bed room that shared a bathroom with the 4 bed room next door. Which is good and bad, makes it cleaner but no other toilets in the morning. It's located a bit out of downtown which is good because it's quieter but the bus for downtown doesn't really come very often. The uni of Texas is across the road which meant that the restaurants are super cheap in the area around the hostel. The rooms are clean, the beds are really comfy and the air con is powerful.

My wife and I got the private room, which had everything we needed. It is right near the entrance and the common room though so if people are talking loudly you'll hear them easily. Location is reasonable, there are bars and cheap eats down guad st, but you are not really walking distance to downtown or SoCo. Breakfast is very basic but fruit is good. Hostel options in Austin are limited so this is a great pick. If you are going to the airport use the hostel shuttle. Cheap, easy and reliable.

Good hostel. Great location. My only complaint is that the shower frequently only had lukewarm (or flat out cold) water, even when showering in the afternoon or evening.

Nice place clean with friendly staff a little out of the way could use a bigger sign to make it easier to find of driving if you drive watch out for the neighbour.

• 29th Mar 2014

The hostel is a great place to stay! The only problem is the Thai Cottage restaurant below. Hostel guests should never patronize that place. Their is an asian lady with a very bad attitude that will scream profanities at you if you dare attempt to park in one of their spaces. Even is she has no customers she will not let you park for even 1 minute. The parking is limited but there is still free parking available in the area. The hostel employees are nice and are eager to help you if you want it.

The breakfast fruit was often picked over (even early in the AM) and always seemed a bit bruised. We stayed in the double ensuite, which is located beside the common room. Quiet hours in the bedrooms are enforced after 11pm, but signs on the front door state that the common room is available at all times. This unfortunately meant that we shared a wall with 3am guitar crooners. Overall, it was the cleanest hostel i've been to and really cool murals in the rooms. New hostel, but it's learning!

• 27th Mar 2014

Not a bad hostel. Too many people for one bathroom. The people that work there are good.

Excellent hostel. Very fun and friendly, but the one shower/toilet per two dorms definitely needs to be addressed.

Cool place very close to the campus.

This hostel was right next to the university, what was really nice. The staff was also great and helped me wonderfully. The security is allright. My roommates often left the door open. They have lockers, but they are not that great. Really hard to open the locker and put your stuff in at the same time. You can't cook there and the kitchen is a combination of breakfast area, laundry room and doing your dishes. There are lots of places nearby to eat tough and they are quite cheap.