Drifter Jack's Hostel Reviews

2602 Guadalupe St., Austin, USA

Really enjoyed my stay at Drifter Jacks! I'd especially recommend it if you're doing anything near the University!

A slightly more advanced kitchen, eg a stove would be good and some communal restrooms rather than just the ones between the dorm rooms would be good. It's a new hostel so these teething problems will be sorted out anyway. That said, the social atmosphere, staff and general vibe of the place are the best I've encountered while being in the USA. Couldn't recommend more highly.

My needs are basic. This place was clean and safe. In the end, that's what mostly matters, so I recommend staying here. Pros- Staff was very helpful, they had a laundry machine and dryer, beds are comfy, parking (but this was also a con) Cons- This is the only hostel in Austin with parking. But they only have 4 parking spots available in a cramped alley! They play indie music all day in the background. For some this is a plus, for me it was just annoying.

• 26th May 2014

Drifter Jacks was in a great, laid back location located close to the university and lots of cheap eats. Once you figure out the bus system, its really easy to get to anywhere you need. Some of the staff were much more helpful than others.

Strengths are the location right near the university and The Drag district, close to lots of eateries and thrift stores frequented by the students, with the city and nightlife areas only a five minute bus ride away, with a bus stop right out the front. Atmosphere is good if you want to see the sights during the day and hit 6th Street at night. The rest is okay, although security is lax to say the least and sharing a bathroom with the dorm beside you can be annoying.

great party hostel with a small group atmosphere, excellent vibe, next to UT, breakfast only included toast.

Drifter Jack's is great for solo and group travellers, everyone there comes with a great attitude for meeting people and having a laugh. I would 100% recommend this hostel to anyone who enjoys meeting new people, and to those who just don't know it yet.

• 8th May 2014

Great hostel... excellent location with bars and restaurants in close walking distance, great downstairs hangout area outside, staff very helpful and very good facilities!

I came to Austin for vacation with a friend, we got the 6 beds mixed dorm, we had a great stay. Staff is nice, helpful and it's easy to meet a lot of people thanks to the common room. You experience the typical hostel atmosphere, which I personally love. The only flaws (for us) were the not-so-great choice of food for bf (you can always buy your stuff and use the fridge) and the fact that we had to share the bathroom.But if you choose to stay in an hostel you kinda know you have to share

• 3rd May 2014

Hostel in a great location in the College district with no shortage of bars in the area. Hostel staff were extremely nice and would often have a few drinks with you at night which made it feel like a real community atmosphere. Would have perhaps liked a working television with cable to enjoy during downtime but apart from that I have no complaints!

I loved this place! I came with my friend for 1 night before the Austin Psych Fest and everything was perfect ! The beds are very comfortable, the decoration is amazing and the atmosphere is very friendly ! Plus the staff is very helpful! The price is a very great deal! I'll come back for sure!

Had a great time at drifter Jack's. When we arrived the aussie guy at reception was brutally hungover so I generally take that as a good sign. Met some really cool people especially americans travelling from interstate. We had a car so didn't have to worry about public transport. There's not that many rooms so we had to change rooms 3 nights in a row as we booked late.

Awesome staff, very helpful & laid back. Xtra long reception hrs made it easy to check in & out, and get q's answered. LOVED that the rooms have refrigerators! It's a really nice feature that I've never seen in a hostel. Also, instead of having 1 bathroom shared w/all, each room just has to share w/one other room :) Hard to judge atmosphere since I wasn't there much, but always felt safe despite there not being any real "security." One word of caution: Very loud neighborhood on Fri/Sat night.

It was a great deal. They need to state that they're above a Thai restaurant as it's hard to find. They have a nice little patio outside. Only complaint was it was very warm inside.

• 18th Apr 2014

Really clean hostel! Located at the north end of the UT campus about 2 miles from 6th street, 3 miles from Rainey Street, 3 miles from east 6th and 4 from SoCo. There is a bus stop just outside the hostel and the nearest b-cycle station is 3 blocks. My dorm of six shared a jack and Jill shower with another dorm of 6. Each room had a mini fridge. Would definitely stay here again.

Good location, good staff. Small outside area for socializing, as well as a small common room which includes a guitar and games. Rooms are pretty good and spacious. I good place to hang out as well as getting your head down for the night. Big lockers, great for large backpacks.

Really enjoyed our stay here. The staff were supremely friendly, very helpful and always available. Clean beds, sheets, bathrooms - although cracking a window in the dorms every now and then would help and the limited bathrooms are a bit restrictive. Excellent common areas - great for meeting and hanging out with fellow travellers. Great out-of-city location, bit of a pain getting downtown at night.

it was all great, nice people the staff, clean place, comfortable beds cozy bathroom would return/10

We had a 4 bed room that shared a bathroom with the 4 bed room next door. Which is good and bad, makes it cleaner but no other toilets in the morning. It's located a bit out of downtown which is good because it's quieter but the bus for downtown doesn't really come very often. The uni of Texas is across the road which meant that the restaurants are super cheap in the area around the hostel. The rooms are clean, the beds are really comfy and the air con is powerful.

My wife and I got the private room, which had everything we needed. It is right near the entrance and the common room though so if people are talking loudly you'll hear them easily. Location is reasonable, there are bars and cheap eats down guad st, but you are not really walking distance to downtown or SoCo. Breakfast is very basic but fruit is good. Hostel options in Austin are limited so this is a great pick. If you are going to the airport use the hostel shuttle. Cheap, easy and reliable.