Drop Bear Hostel Reviews

Carrera 21 Numero 20 36, Barrio Jardin, Santa Marta, Colombia

Overall positive stay at Drop Bear. The staff was absolutely awesome...couldn't have been more helpful. The building is really cool and big, lots of things to do there. Wifi was decently fast. The only thing is that there was Top 40 music playing the entire day - the building is structured around the pool where the music is coming from, so there is literally no where you can go to escape it. Could be good for most travelers, but I wanted somewhere quieter. Overall still a good hostel

I came to Santa Marta for Ciudad Perdida (which was great). The company that I booked it through knew exactly where Drop Bear was when they picked me up/dropped me off, which made things easy for me. Drop Bear is a bit away from the center, so not ideal for exploring the town, as there are other hostels much closer. With that said, the rates are fair, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the pool is comfortable.

• 20th Sep 2015

Everything you need. Good atmosphere. Staff are extremely helpful with organizing tours and helping out in general. Totally recommend it.

I was only here for two nights and had earlyish nights both times due to a long day at Tayrona (the bus can be caught on the main road about 5 minutes walk away). I was worried about the noise keeping me awake given some of the other reviews, but this was not the case. There is a social bar and pool area and a big chill out/movie area but this is by no means a party hostel, just a good sociable one. Good cheap food available as well. No complaints.

I loved it! The overall atmosphere, the size of the place, the movie room and the self-serve kitchen made it for me one of the best stay in Colombia! Thanks to Gabe the owner who is so accomodating!

• 27th Aug 2015

I stayed at The Drop Bear for a total of around five nights coming in and out of Santa Marta. It is a very spacious, relaxed hostel with some pretty cool amenities like a swimming pool, ping pong and pool table, and a movie viewing area with tons of flicks to choose from. There is also a bar and a full service kitchen serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My only critique is the location. There is very little else in the area and it's about a ten minute cab ride to bars and restaurants.

Friendly staff that was helpful to plan trips around the surrounding areas. Sent me to oscars place in Minca and loved it

• 20th Aug 2015
  • El Salvador

We loved our stay at Drop Bear! Would come back any time! The pool is great, everything is clean, the dorms are a bit warm but that's kind of natural in the heat of Santa Marta!

Large and spacious hostel. Stayed in a double private. Room itself was spacious with nice balcony. However the bathroom was disgusting - the worst I've seen on my travels. It was decent sized but so dirty. The state of the toilet was a disgrace. Also frustrating dribble from the shower and cold obviously. Disappointing for what seemed like an otherwise good hostel

Ticks all the boxes as a hostel, great staff, food, bar, pool, general atmosphere. It is a little outside of Santa Marta which is fine considering there isn't much to do there anyway!

One of the greatest hostels I have ever stayed in. Perfect facilities and rooms! (deluxe). I am in love with the huge hammock!! I can however see how sleepijg in the other rooms would suck as you have to walk through some to get around and they seemed to get quite hot! Thanks !!

I stayed at the Drop bear for a few weeks and also volunteered as well. This hostel is amazing and prob the best hostel I have stayed at in South America. The people at the front desk were very helpful ( especially Gina ) with any information regarding trips/tours to all the surrounding areas👌The hostel has some of the largest rooms if seen in all my years of travel. The facilities were always clean. The pool area is perfect for chilling 🙏

This is a great hostel. The pool, bar and common areas are very nice. The kitchen is good and you can also order cheap food from the restaurant for breakfast or dinner. The staff are very helpful and keep the hostel clean. The only negative thing is that the private rooms don't have air con, so it can get very hot. The hostel is not in the centre of Santa Marta, but that's not really a problem as most people just use it as a base to go to places like Tayrona and Minca.

In one word: great helpful stuff, great bar, nice pool and chillout area, super wifi decided to stay an addicional night :)

The wifi is really fast, but the location is lame. It's a loud party hostel, which could be your thing but it didn't really come across that way.

Our apologies for our lame location, we have tried physically moving our house but we find it's just easier if people look at the map when making the reservation as to where they want to be. And as you came back for a second time it can't have been too lame. We're not a loud party hostel, we have a bar with music which does get noisey at night but closes around midnight.

Not a hostel for everyone. Other travelers who arrived with me *loved* this hostel, but I didn't. Too far from town to walk to a nice spot for dinner or browse the shops at night. My four bed dorm opened into a private room, the storage room, the pool, and a ten bed room so it was like sleeping in a hallway. Bathrooms are dingy and too few. Very open and communal spaces for socializing, happy hour, amazing hammock space on the second floor, but not the spot for a good nights sleep.

We're sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us, as you mentioned not a hostel for everyone, but we're glad your fellow travellers LOVED it. We are not located in the centre, as you'd have seen on the map when you booked online, but we're only a 5 min bus ride from town, buses to Tayrona, Palomino, Minca, Rodadero, Taganga etc all pass by the end of our road, as well as ATMs and supermarkets.

It has such a great atmosphere for anyone. If you like to party or quietly read in one of their hammocks, you can enjoy it easily. I stayed an extra day!

Wish we could have stayed here longer! One of the most unique places you'll ever stay. Awesome building that's perfect for hanging out or partying, it's big enough to do both...heaps of hammocks, huuuge games room with a cinema and pool to cool off in and the obligatory well stocked bar.

We really enjoyed the pool and bar in this hostal, pretty much life saver! Only thing thag really sucked was the wifi! It was a huge stuggle for us to set plans for our next desitation because of wifi's constant crashes. However the staff there is extremely helpful and friendly, we are grateful for that.

Great hostel, lovely helpful friendly staff, awesome pool & very affordable food at the restaurant and drinks at the bar. Unfortunately we could only stay one night and it was very enjoyable. Only thing I could suggest is to fix the door on the bathroom/ shower which didn't close or lock.