Drop Bear Hostel Reviews

Carrera 21 Numero 20 36, Barrio Jardin, Santa Marta, Colombia

For such a big hostel, staff needs to be on top of keeping it clean. The kitchen, and bathrooms are pretty disgusting, mostly because of the people who use them, but staff needs to do their rounds and clean overflowing wastebins full of shitwipe, or plugged sinks. Loud music, kinda sucks when trying to sleep due to a flight or activity early the next morning. Pool was nice, tv room nice.

Soooo much love for this hostel. Booked for 1 night...stayed for 7. Super helpful and friendly staff, chilled AND fun atmosphere, they have all the facilities you could possibly need (this makes it hard to leave!) It's clean, it's safe and I know it sounds cheesy but it felt just like home! 😊

A very nice hostel! We really enjoyed our stay here. It has a nice vibe and good facilities!

Had a great stay at Drop Bear! I needed a place to stay for before and after my trip to Ciudad Perdida and it was perfect. I was able to store all of my luggage safely and the tour company provided transport to and from the hostel. Also a really nice place to chill out and have a beer. I live pretty close by so I will be back!

• 7th Jan 2015

Best hostel we stayed in during our time in Colombia. Great atmosphere if you want to meet people and party but also lots of space if you are just there to chill out. Very accommodating in terms of letting you leave your bags whilst you go do the Lost City trek or spend a couple of days at Tayrona . Gabe the owner is a really good guy and I would (and have already) recommend this place to anyone. Top Marks!

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Scotland

Fun place to stay. Gets a little bit loud so not the best place to get a ton of sleep. The owner was very friendly and very helpful. One tiny issue was that we gave them a load of laundry and all our clothes came back dyed yellow.

Great hostel with a lot of amenities, common areas, bar, pool, lots of activities, very social place.

Great pool that is in the sunshine for most of the day, nice bar and quite sociable. However, showers aren't the best and the restaurant in the hostel is closed for a large part of the day.

Hi, thanks for your comments. We agree, our showers could be better, we are trying to improve this. We'll be happy to give you a free night if you come back this way. We only close the kitchen from 2.30pm to 6pm when most people have already eaten and are outside doing their day trips and visiting the city centre. We appreciate your feedback.

Great spacious location with affordable prices. Movie/game room, pool, bar etc. great opportunities to meet other travelers. Minor drawback was that it was a bit farther from the city center (5000 CP$ cab ride).

Not much to complain about the hostel, very friendly staff, nice bar and pool. It's just the city itself that sucks.... But if you just want to relax or if you need a place to stay for tayrona (free storage) it's perfect!!

Awesome Hostel! The staff there were really helpful! Great facilities, drinks and food!

Thanks Kelli, was a pleasure having you here mate :)

Best hostel of 3 months in South America. Had heard good things about this place through the grapevine and my first impression on arriving was what's all the hype about. But When you settle in you will love it. So many people were there for weeks just chilling out. It's like a resort in a way. Great cheap food cooked there. Relaxed Nice staff. House has so much character Spacious dorms. Nice pool. Best movie room I've seen. Just a really nice vibe over all. I could have stayed for months!

Drop Bear is a great hostel if you are just wanting to stay a day or two to recover from or ramp up for activities like the Lost City trek or Tayrona. It has a nice chilled vibe & you can hang by the pool or watch a movie, but I wouldn't stay here for more than a night or two due to location. You need to catch a cab or bus if you want to go to the main area of Santa Marta, it's a bit far to walk all the time & it's not safe at night. I moved to another hostel because I got bored of chilling out!

Wow really suprised by your comments as we don't remember seeing you socialize with many people, never in the bar, stayed in a single room, not sure what we could have done if you only wanted to watch movies all day. We are actually the best located hostel in Santa Marta for ALL the sights not just el centro. Buses 75cents and cabs $2.50 pass by both ends of the street. 5-10 minutes from all parts of Santa Marta. Once again, totally confused by your review. Thanks though, appreciate the feedback

We stayed as a couple at Drop Bear for 6 nights, spread over a period of 2 or more weeks, using it as a base to Explore the Caribbean coast and the Sierra Nevada. It always felt like a great temporary home and a superb place to relax. Amazing swimming pool, great hammocks to relax in and top notch pool table, ping pong

Nice hostel, with a pool, pool table, ping pong and bar. Kitchen is reasonably well equipped but theres no free breakfast. Free coffee all day tho. Its a little bit out the way and recommendable to get a taxi if you go out at night but nearby theres all the necessities for shopping, cash etc. Good, helpful and friendly staff. Bar war pretty chilled when I vwas there.

Definitely one of the best hostels we have stayed in. Great large common areas, swimming pool and kitchen. Close to supermarket and ATM but a fair way from the town centre. Great base if you're planning a trip to Tyrona national Park, Palomino etc.m

Could do with better air conditioning but other than that a sensational hostel!

Hi Andrew, Thanks for you review, glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you make it back here one day.We also have aircon dorms but you reserved in our fan dorm so next time we'll give you an upgrade to the air con dorm :). Take care, safe travels mate.

A great hostel, the staff are super helpful and knowledgable, the pool is clean, the TV room is great and the beds are comfy! A short walk to Exito if you want to make use of the kitchen, would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a bit of a chilled vibe in Santa Marta

Really cool hostel, perfect for chilling in the day and partying at night with a nice pool and games room. Rooms have fans which are essential at night.

This place has a great pool. Gabriel, the owner, is very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of local information. Carolina on the front desk was also very helpful. This hostel was not too busy but had a very friendly vibe and the food was great. I recommend it.