Drop Bear Hostel Reviews

Carrera 21 Numero 20 36, Barrio Jardin, Santa Marta, Colombia

I really try not to leave negative comments or impressions on places, but I feel this one is necessary. Drop Bear has a cool story so I gave it a try. After staying two nights, I was disappointed. Mainly it was the staff. They had mislead me twice in helping me pay for my travel reservations, which ended up costing me a lot of my own pocket. Additionally, the two girls working the front desk service and attitude was surly at best, hence why I left early. Try La Brisa Loca or The Dreamer.

I definitely recommend it! Everything excellent! Clean, nice atmoshpere - nothing to complain about. Maybe the location could be better (a bit outta city centre), but if yoduré going to Santa Marta for the Tayrona only, it's perfectly located! You can walk five blocks to the Avenida Libertador and catch the bus there.

More hostels should take a lesson from Drop Bear. You were felt welcome here as the staff were so accommodating and friendly. The owner and staff attitude seemed to rub off on everyone there as a good time was had by all as far as we were concerned.

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This is the best hostel i have ever been to. If anyone is staying in Santa Marta you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don`t stay here.

• 13th Feb 2014

We stayed in a double room with toilet, the room was ok but the door wasn't closing properly so it wasn't that safe. The shower was dreadful, only drops of water, it would be better to have a bucket of water instead. So maintainance apparently is not that important. The cooks refused to make dinner for us at 21h30 when they were suposed to work til 22h30. A guy from the reception had to talk to them so we could eat.

Maintenance is very important to us, an old cartel mansion like the drop bear needs constant care and attention. We have over 40 door handles & we weren't aware that particular one was broken. If you had simply told us we could have fixed it on the spot. Also the water pressure is fine in that shower, you have to turn on both handles like most normal showers. The kitchen closed early the night you arrived because of the bbq/fiesta we had earlier that day we opened again specifically for you

Location is not ideal. You must take bus or taxi to get anywhere. It adds to your over all cost. No air conditioning which is a big deal. Also staff was not as welcoming as other staffs in hostels that I stayed in Colombia.

• 19th Jan 2014

Great place to stay and I was warmly welcomed by the reception staff. The tour of the house is really good and the additional ghost story is great! No probs with the location, buses are cheap and easy to catch if you need to CBD or the beach otherwise it is nice just being out in the 'burbs chillaxing by the pool.

There's hammocks everywhere! Big lockers, huge TV room with lots of movies and couch space for 10+ people. Wifi was good, bar was very good. Rooms are clean, but unfortunately the bathrooms and kitchen aren't so much. Kitchen needs more equipment. The house tour on Sundays is awesome and the staff are very helpful. 7 mins from a big supermarket and the buses to everywhere in and out of town. Quiet neighbourhood but lively atmosphere. Loved dropbear!

Very nice hostel with a lot of common areas. It is easy to meet and chat with the people. Had a really nice stay!

Staff were very friendly and helpful and had a lot of knowledge. There is a pool and a bar so it's easy to socialise, and the rooms were a good standard.

Really clean, fun hostel with lots of great common areas (pool, tv/game room, dining area, bar). Its a bit far from the central touristy area of Santa Marta, but still manageable on foot (about 40 minutes). The rooms and bathrooms are kept very clean. No breakfast, but wifi, sheets and towels (upon request) are free. They've also got a small restaurant serving breakfast and dinner, at a very reasonable cost. Staff spoke English, and most were quite helpful. Take the house tour if you can!

Super cool hostel in an ex-cartel house in a really nice residential neighborhood. Bar/pool/kitchen/TV room are awesome, staff is great and super helpful, and location is good for activities in Santa Marta area. Comfortable beds, great hammocks. Take the house tour if it's offered during your stay!

I love this hostel. The staff are great and really create a warm friendly atmosphere. The beds are comfy and the air conditioning set to a sleepy 20C. No complaints. Id come again.

Great hostel! Awesome atmosphere and really friendly staff. Pool is a bonus. Only problem is that it is not very centrally located.

Great hostel. Wonderful staff, great facilities, one of the highlights to staying in any hostel in s America. There is not much in Santa Marta, use the hostel to relax & as a base to see Tayrona & Minca. I did day trips, start early to make the most of the day. Loved watching movies, indoor & outside by the pool, the tour of the house, relaxing by the pool during the day, the cooked meals or use a big kitchen.

Nice place. If you like mafia stories... you will love this place!!!

Nice swimming pool, comfortable bed and the staff was very helpful with any question we came up with.

The staff at the reception was very friendly, helpful and willing to provide assistance. The facilities were basic but ok. only two negative points are: - the hostel is quite far away from the city center - showers a bit dirty and need a mending

This hostel was one of our best accomodations during our short trip in Colombia. Good atmosphere and nice people. We felt much secure as in the center.

Perfect hostel