Drop Bear Hostel Reviews

Carrera 21 Numero 20 36, Barrio Jardin, Santa Marta, Colombia

One of the best hostels? Maybe in the '90s? Showers in the garage were terrible, but then again, the shower that is nothing more than a drip of water in the dorm is a joke too. Location is way too far from the actual town. No airconditioning in the room which is essential in this heat. Girl at the desk was nice though.

Yes we are one of the best hostels, thanks! You & your friend however were possibly some of worst customers we've had though, complaining from the second you walked in the door, demanding $2 discounts before you'd even checked in. Then complaining about people talking too loud at 8pm. We went out of our way for you both because you aren´t really backpackers & are a little older. Our showers work perfectly well, and we do have air conditioned rooms, you just didn't want to pay extra for it.

An absolutely great place to chill. I loved it, the staff was amazing,super friendly and helpful. Located out of the town centre ( 20 mins walk), but few blocks away from supermarket and 4 km from Taganga its a great place to relax before heading off to the Tyrona! Organic coffee can be bought here too.The only thing: communal showers could be with a bit of more cleaning. But other than that just perfect. One of the nicest hostels I stayed in South America and the only ex cartel villa.superb

Overall best hostel in Sant Marta!! I stayed in Santa Marta, Colombia for 2 weeks at multiple hostels including The Brisa Loca, Dreamer, and Drop Bear. The Drop Bear Hostel was by far the best. Staff was very friendly, facility was extremly clean, and the BAR & POOL area was AMAZING!! The house has a long Colombian history that the owner does a great job of explaining. Great location in the center of Santa Marta it was easy access to Tayrona Park, Minca, Taganga, and beautiful beaches.

Had a great time at the Drop Bear. Was a perfect place to enjoy world cup football, relax by the pool and indulge in some tasty beverages. Staff were helpful and set me up with a great scuba company to get PADI certified. Beds were comfortable and the breeze through the room allowed for easy sleeping.

I came to Drop Bear with a group of friends, 8 total, and we had a great time! The hostel was a little quiet during our stay but we made it lively. We were perfectly happy with the facilities (clean and comfortable) and we especially loved drinking a beer by the pool at night and enjoying 'la brisa loca.' The staff were so nice and really helpful, especially with planning our trip to Parque Tayrona. I would absolutely recommend this hostel and plan to come back again soon :)

The hostel itself is beautiful and the staff are excellent. Well equipped with everything you need. The atmosphere always seems to be happening, had a rowdy crowd when I was there but if that's what you're into then you'll love it

This is one of the best hostels I have been to. The pool area was great to relax, and the bar was a lot of fun. Very easy to meet people here. The staff was helpful and gave us ideas on how to get to Minca and to Tayrona. We had a private room, which was big with a nice fan.

Great hostel, great bar and happy hour, not sure why it's not that busy. Great pool and free mangos

Staff were really friendly and helpful. A good base from which to explore Tayrona. Lots of space in the dorms, all the rooms are a really good size!

Cool hostel with an amazing history

I loved it!!! One of my favorite hostel. The staff was friendly and it is a super nice hostel. The story behind it is very interesting. The owner has a free tour of the hostel and tells about the history. It's a old drug cartel house. Fun and nice hostel. Wanna go back for sure. Onelove Desirée from Norway

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Norway

cool place to stay, very interesting vibe as it use to be a cartel place.

So much potential but compared to its main rival The Dreamer is let down by its staff. Receptionist was uninterested in our questions about local things to do and the kitchen was absolutely filthy. Such a shame because it easily outdoes The Dreamer on its incredibly luxurious rooms, and huge common areas. It's also in a slightly better location for local eats and bars. It should be doing a lot better for the rates it charges. They could look at stopping the wind tunnel in the pool area too.

Awesome hostel! Stayed in 10 bed dorm but the rooms are awesome as still a sense of personal space! Would recommend to others.

I really try not to leave negative comments or impressions on places, but I feel this one is necessary. Drop Bear has a cool story so I gave it a try. After staying two nights, I was disappointed. Mainly it was the staff. They had mislead me twice in helping me pay for my travel reservations, which ended up costing me a lot of my own pocket. Additionally, the two girls working the front desk service and attitude was surly at best, hence why I left early. Try La Brisa Loca or The Dreamer.

I definitely recommend it! Everything excellent! Clean, nice atmoshpere - nothing to complain about. Maybe the location could be better (a bit outta city centre), but if yoduré going to Santa Marta for the Tayrona only, it's perfectly located! You can walk five blocks to the Avenida Libertador and catch the bus there.

More hostels should take a lesson from Drop Bear. You were felt welcome here as the staff were so accommodating and friendly. The owner and staff attitude seemed to rub off on everyone there as a good time was had by all as far as we were concerned.

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This is the best hostel i have ever been to. If anyone is staying in Santa Marta you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don`t stay here.

• 13th Feb 2014