Ducks and Drakes Reviews

48 Lemon Street, New Plymouth, New Zealand

Nice place, artistic decor, spacious and warm room, large and comfy common areas. Some more electric sockets in dorms would be useful. Wi-fi paid separately, not the fastest, not the most reliable, and quite expensive.

Thank you for your feedback - I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Ducks & Drakes and were warm now that the weather has turned colder. Unfortunately internet access in NZ is expensive, unlike Europe, and we pass on a small cost - from $2 for 30 minutes. I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Ducks and Drakes is a really nice hostel which is furnished with love for detail! Unfortunately, the rooms, as well as the dining room and the kitchen were very cold, so you wouldn't want to spend too much time there. The atmosphere would be much better if it wasn't so chilly all the time.

Thank you for your comments - May was particularly cold however we have the fire in the guest lounge which is a popular spot to get cosy - all beds have extra blankets and hot-water bottles as well as heaters. Our Double and single rooms also have electric blankets. I'm sorry you felt it was chilly even with all our heating options.I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand.

Ducks and Drakes has nice common areas, kitchen and dinning room. The girl at the reception was at first baffled by our request to arrange a late check-in, but in the end it all went smoothly, so no gripes here. The room we got was a bit cramped even for backpacker standards but adequate for a one night stay. One remark for the owners: please add a few coat hooks here and there. It costs next to nothing but makes you guests' life so much easier. In short: not bad, but not extraordinary either.

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at Ducks & Drakes - I have checked our records and see you stayed in one of 3 bed share rooms - there are 4 coat-hooks on the back of the door - I am sorry you didn't spot them during your stay. I am pleased to hear that you liked our common areas, kitchen and dining room - the dining room with its long table is a popular spot for our guests to not only eat but to get to know each other.. Thank you for staying - Enjoy the rest of your travels

We loved the bright and cheerful decor and the extremely well-equipped kitchen.

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of Ducks & Drakes during your recent stay - we are pleased you like our bold decor and found the kitchen well equipped. We hope to welcome you back to Ducks & Drakes one day.

I had a bad experience with the manager. I wanted to cancel my last night, and inquired if I can do so well ahead of time. The receptionist told me it's too late to cancel. After checking again about the cancellation policy, I talked with the receptionist again at the evening. He said I have to speak with the manager, which was available only at 10pm. Although reluctant, eventually she did refund the money for this night. Her attitude was disrespectful, insulting and menacing.

Our office closes at 8pm - As the owner I personally close the office. It was at 10pm you asked to cancel the following nights accommodation - We did cancel it for you and gave you a full refund despite the cancellation giving less than one days notice. I am not sure what more we could have done for you? I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand

Thought the hostel was a little "tired" e,g, holes in the carpet etc, but the new units, which I visited, looked great.

• 25th Apr 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your feedback - we have been waiting for things to slow down to redo the flooring - I assume you refer to the worn carpet on the stairs - now fixed! This was the last element of our upgrade - every surface has been repainted over the past 18 months - every soft furnishing replaced and all new bedding. Thanks for staying at Ducks & Drakes - I hope we will see you again.

Brilliant hostel Have travelled all over the world and can say that this is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Very clean, homely, excellent location and the woman on reception was very friendly and welcoming. Cant wait to go back

Thanks for your positive feedback - it was great to have you stay here and I hope you will be back in the near future - try a winter visit and enjoy the cosy and welcoming fire in the guest lounge, a cuddly hot water bottle and perhaps a sauna! Until next time - stay well.

Very nice atmosphere, so colorful and like home!

Thank you for your positive comments following your stay with us at Ducks & Drakes. I am glad you liked the vibrant colours and felt at home. Happy travels!

I've stayed here twice and love it both times. The staff is always amazing and the place is cozy--a great value for the price. It's also walking distance to downtown New Plymouth and the beach.

I had my sister with me on her first Backpakers experience and she was most impressed as all was clean and well aired in our room.All in all a bright and cheerful place.

• 22nd Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you for your positive feedback - I'm glad your sister enjoyed her first experience - and I hope it will be the first of many.

Good value. Generous and fair owners.

• 22nd Feb 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you for sharing your comments and rating Ducks & Drakes. I am delighted that you found our little establishment good value. I hope you will return one day.

Very charming place! Was more like a bed and breakfast than a hostel. There was a mistake in our reservation and they took care of it immediately - upgraded us to a private cottage with ensuite bathroom, kitchen, and living room. Great facilities (even the shared dorm rooms) and very clean. Would recommend to anyone - no complaints.

Thank you for taking the time to share your impresions of Ducks & Drakes - I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and perhaps we will see you or your friends back here one day. Happy travels

Great place to stay. Will be going back again. Thank you.

• 23rd Nov 2012
  • New Zealand

I am glad you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for taking the time to post your comments - it is much appreciated - see you next time.

A great place to stay. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Nice atmosphere. It was everything we needed and very handy to everything.

• 29th Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

Thanks so much for your positive comments! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ducks & Drakes when your travels bring you back to New Plymouth.

We enjoyed our stay at this hostel. We feel like sweet home. But it was really cold inside, we went on the beginning of August. We would recommand to friends and family.

• 5th Aug 2012

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that it felt like home. I certainly enjoyed meeting you. I am sorry you were a little cold - it is true that New Zealanders do not heat their homes in the same way you do in Canada. All our rooms have duvets (sometimes double duvets!) plus blankets, heaters and hot water bottles. We have the fire blazing each evening in the guest lounge during the winter months. Thanks for staying at Ducks & Drakes - and thank you for the recommendation. Travel well.

Lovely place to stay. Close to the sea front, and shops and supermarkets. Friendly staff, a roaring fire, sun room, well stocked kitchen. For once I had a bed that was comfortable too! It's a hostel, not a 5 star, but I would definitely stay there again. Good value for money

• 12th Jul 2012
  • New Zealand

Thanks for taking the time to review Ducks & Drakes - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and that you found the bed comfortable - nothing worse than a bad bed! I hope you will return to our great little hostel one day soon.

The hostel was pretty sweet. It was a big old house converted to a relatively small hostel. Probably 10 rooms? The rooms were much bigger than a lot of hostels I have been to. Everything in the hostel was modern and comfortable. A fire every night in the lounge is a nice touch. It's located just above the town so you can walk to everything but don't have the noise or hustle of the city. Great place.

Thanks for posting your review - actually we have 13 rooms in the main building. It was originally built as a private hotel back in the 1920's - today it is a little more colourful but retaining many of the original features. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay - everyone loves the fire in the evening..a nice place to warm up at the end of the day. Enjoy the rest of your travels!

beautiful little hostel, only negatives were bad shower pressure and either freezing cold or boiling hot water and no lockable lockers in the room. other than that, loved it!

I am delighted to hear you loved Ducks & Drakes. Thanks for your feedback on the shower pressure/temperature...old character buildings have their challenges - and sometimes plumbing is one of them, as is space to include lockers. We are certainly working on improving the water pressure - and hope you will return to experience it yourself. Happy travels.

It was a well kepet place and the staff were helpful and nice

Thanks so much for staying at Ducks & Drakes - and thanks too for letting us know you enjoyed your visit!

A +++ what a gem, we loved having different places to read, watch TV and eat. Host is great and it really made our holiday. Thank You.

View all New Plymouth Hostels