Ducks and Drakes Reviews

48 Lemon Street, New Plymouth, New Zealand

Shame about the bathrooms otherwise this would have been an overall good stay at Ducks and Drakes. Unfortunately downstairs they have 3 separate rooms, one shower room, one toilet & one sink and shower room combined. Unfortunately this means that there is only one sink to wash your hands in after going to the toilet, so if someone is in there showering, you're screwed! I can only imagine the amount of people who don't bother washing their hands. Maybe upstairs is better. Lovely hostel otherwise

BLANKETS DIRTY, KITCHEN VERY DIRTY

This reservation was cancelled directly with the host a few days prior to arrival. I did not stay here. Please disregard the ratings. I did not stay here

Free wifi the family that runs it are fantastic people.

• 12th Nov 2015

hi, fyi: the power point in room 10 wasn't working - I am pretty sure it was the point rather than the things plugged into it. Also the handle to the shower tap has been snapped off in the upstairs show. It is still usable but annoying.

• 20th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Very good hostel, just 5 min with car and 6 dollars with taxi from st aubyn st ( for naked bus for example). It s a quiet place with towel every day. Bathroom is big and clean, very important for ladies ahahah. Sauna for 5 doll. Lounge room is cosy and warmful. This place is best of New Plymouth!!! Thank you for staff

Excellent hostel and I've stayed in heaps across NZ. The whole place is very clean and comfortable, bedroom had a towel, a great radiator loads of storage space. Free tea and coffee, really good location too, especially for the park. The two dogs are beautiful!

Clean, comfy and warm

Really relaxed and laid back, nice rooms and walkable into town. Would definitely stay there again.

Loved this hostel. Perfect place to come back to and rest after climbing taranaki. The sunroom has such comfy daybeds/lounges. Thanks!

• 6th Feb 2015

Lots of character, good facilities, central, quiet and friendly. Recommended!

• 6th Feb 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

thought the price was a bit hefty for such a tiny space with only a bed and No other amenities, e.g at carrington st, motel a big room with double bed TV and a room off it with 2x single beds and all amenities in room, shower, tea/coffee stove etc costs $115 per night,

• 15th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Clean, friendly hostel with many room options that accommodate backpackers, couples, families, etc. of any age. Full kitchen and $2 wash / $2 dry laundry service. Complementary hot water bottles as well in the winter months.

Nice place, artistic decor, spacious and warm room, large and comfy common areas. Some more electric sockets in dorms would be useful. Wi-fi paid separately, not the fastest, not the most reliable, and quite expensive.

Thank you for your feedback - I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Ducks & Drakes and were warm now that the weather has turned colder. Unfortunately internet access in NZ is expensive, unlike Europe, and we pass on a small cost - from $2 for 30 minutes. I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Ducks and Drakes is a really nice hostel which is furnished with love for detail! Unfortunately, the rooms, as well as the dining room and the kitchen were very cold, so you wouldn't want to spend too much time there. The atmosphere would be much better if it wasn't so chilly all the time.

Thank you for your comments - May was particularly cold however we have the fire in the guest lounge which is a popular spot to get cosy - all beds have extra blankets and hot-water bottles as well as heaters. Our Double and single rooms also have electric blankets. I'm sorry you felt it was chilly even with all our heating options.I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand.

Ducks and Drakes has nice common areas, kitchen and dinning room. The girl at the reception was at first baffled by our request to arrange a late check-in, but in the end it all went smoothly, so no gripes here. The room we got was a bit cramped even for backpacker standards but adequate for a one night stay. One remark for the owners: please add a few coat hooks here and there. It costs next to nothing but makes you guests' life so much easier. In short: not bad, but not extraordinary either.

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at Ducks & Drakes - I have checked our records and see you stayed in one of 3 bed share rooms - there are 4 coat-hooks on the back of the door - I am sorry you didn't spot them during your stay. I am pleased to hear that you liked our common areas, kitchen and dining room - the dining room with its long table is a popular spot for our guests to not only eat but to get to know each other.. Thank you for staying - Enjoy the rest of your travels

We loved the bright and cheerful decor and the extremely well-equipped kitchen.

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of Ducks & Drakes during your recent stay - we are pleased you like our bold decor and found the kitchen well equipped. We hope to welcome you back to Ducks & Drakes one day.

I had a bad experience with the manager. I wanted to cancel my last night, and inquired if I can do so well ahead of time. The receptionist told me it's too late to cancel. After checking again about the cancellation policy, I talked with the receptionist again at the evening. He said I have to speak with the manager, which was available only at 10pm. Although reluctant, eventually she did refund the money for this night. Her attitude was disrespectful, insulting and menacing.

Our office closes at 8pm - As the owner I personally close the office. It was at 10pm you asked to cancel the following nights accommodation - We did cancel it for you and gave you a full refund despite the cancellation giving less than one days notice. I am not sure what more we could have done for you? I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand

Thought the hostel was a little "tired" e,g, holes in the carpet etc, but the new units, which I visited, looked great.

• 25th Apr 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your feedback - we have been waiting for things to slow down to redo the flooring - I assume you refer to the worn carpet on the stairs - now fixed! This was the last element of our upgrade - every surface has been repainted over the past 18 months - every soft furnishing replaced and all new bedding. Thanks for staying at Ducks & Drakes - I hope we will see you again.

Brilliant hostel Have travelled all over the world and can say that this is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Very clean, homely, excellent location and the woman on reception was very friendly and welcoming. Cant wait to go back

Thanks for your positive feedback - it was great to have you stay here and I hope you will be back in the near future - try a winter visit and enjoy the cosy and welcoming fire in the guest lounge, a cuddly hot water bottle and perhaps a sauna! Until next time - stay well.

« first « Prev 1 2 3