Duke Hostel Reviews

27 Guinness Street, Greymouth, New Zealand

Awesome old hotel that has been converted to a bright, fun hostel. The owner Dory is the nicest most accommodating host that I have ever come across at hostel and I am well travelled! Very central location and a big comfy bed. Dory also opens the bar in the evenings and there is free pool and a juke box .

Thanks guys for staying with us and for the excellent review, it's guests like you who make mike job so easy and enjoyable. Cheers, Dory

Dori makes this place. Very helpful and welcoming. The place itself has character.

Had a lovely time here, very helpful staff!

We had a very good stay at Duke Hostel. We loved it very much. The free soup was nice, Dory suggested to cook more soup if it was necessary. He and is wife always tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The free bread and jam in the morning is always pleasant as a backpacker. The facilities are clean en we had a good bed in a spacious double room. When we were waiting to check in, we got some cookies to make our waiting more enjoyable. We definitely recommend this hostel!

Thank guys for staying with us and for writing such a wonderful review, we appreciate it a lot. It's guests like you who make us love our job even after 11 years of doing it. Cheers.

Dori, the manager is awesome, upon arrival he gave us a personal tour through the hostel. It was a rainy and cold day and therefore he made a fire in the fireplace and cooked free hot soup for every guest, so that everyone felt comfortable - outstanding service.

Thanks guys for staying here, It's been a pleasure to have you staying with us. Thanks also to making the effort to write such a wonderful review.

Clean!!!! Made you feel welcome. Run exceptionally well. Dory (unsure of spelling) gets things together. It got noisy around quiet time and he took care of it - with the snap of a finger. Caring - made soup for the residents in the evening. Everyone appreciated his presence. The whole thing was a 'class' one act. You won't find a better hostel in New Zealand - period.

Thanks guys, most appreciated. Thanks for staying with us and thanks a million for the excellent review. I enjoyed your company and guests like you are the reason I love my job so much.

The owner Dory is an excellent host, makes sure he knows everyone, is very helpful and provides breakfast and soup every evening. There is a bar downstairs but Dory will close down if accommodation guests request so due to noise!!! in fact noise levels were never a problem.

One of the best Hostels where we stayed in New Zealand. The owner was so friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Perfect, thanks.

We only stayed one night whilst passing though town, but Dory was very welcoming and helpful. The extra of hot soup every night was a nice touch too! We found the bed in number 8 to be very comfy.. we didn't want to get out!

verry nice hostel nice staff, good beds. even got a free upgrade to a slingle room.

• 9th Dec 2013

The hostel is nothing fancy but it has a great atmosphere and is very clean. Wifi and breakfast is for free and the owner is just the perfect host. I would definitely stay there again.

I unfortunately had enough time to stay one night at this hostel, but the service and friendliness of the hostel manager was amazing. I was even ungraded to a better room than I had booked. Would definitely stay at this hostel again and would recommend the hostel to other travellers visiting Greymouth

• 30th Nov 2013

Dory is such a nice and helpful person. I stayed only one night, but it was great!

we couldn't have been more pleased with the Duke hostel. our room (private ensuite) was good (...with towels!) the atmosphere was great and the facilities were brilliant. Dory was extremely kind helpful and was able to talk about proper football which was a big plus for me. We were really just passing through Greymouth because we were getting the Transalpine train but if we had more time we would definitely stayed longer because we felt so comfortable staying with Dory and co.

• 12th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Thanks guys, It's was a pleasure to have you here. Thanks a million for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I also enjoyed reading all the comments on your photo at our Facebook page. Cheers

Nice hostel, very friendly staff, big kitchen and common room with log fire, very pleasant place to stop.